* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:37 pm 

R.I.P. Encyclopaedia Metallum collection thread
2014-2014

Murdered in cold blood by the infamous Excelfan after he proved that he owned every single album ever worth collecting. Your run was short but valiant, full of many a worthwhile assortment of musical media, but you were struck down before your time in the same way most good things in life are - by Microsoft supporters. May your spirit live forever on.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:31 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
every single album ever worth collecting.

Not nearly enough obscure power metal :roll:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:53 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:
every single album ever worth collecting.

Not nearly enough obscure power metal :roll:

For that we've got Perdition666 and his never-ending army of Japanese bands! :D

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:40 pm 

Indeed, and that side of my collection is growing like a weed.

I was thinking of posting some of my fave Euro-pm CDs, but a lot of that stuff is pretty common, or the pressings aren't anything special. That side of my collection has shrunk drastically over the last 5 or so years. Its a pity I didn't keep obi strips prior to 2006 *grumble*.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:52 pm 

Excelfan, If you ever want to sell that Maxx Warrior/Powerlord split. Let me know I just lost out on one on ebay.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:55 pm 

I'll post my Disastrous Murmur stuff sometime soon eh :tongue:

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:25 am 

androdion wrote:
For that we've got Perdition666 and his never-ending army of Japanese bands! :D

Indeed :P
Perdition666 wrote:
I was thinking of posting some of my fave Euro-pm CDs, but a lot of that stuff is pretty common, or the pressings aren't anything special. That side of my collection has shrunk drastically over the last 5 or so years. Its a pity I didn't keep obi strips prior to 2006 *grumble*.

Probably got more special stuff than someone like me though :P I have been acquiring a few Japanese pressings myself recently however. I can see myself throwing obi strips away as well if I'd been able to get them when I was younger. But I've been keeping everything, even down to the little competition-entry card that came with Winterheart's Guild (which was also awesome that the vendor kept) :lol:

Though I didn't seem to get an obi strip with Seimaken Valkyrias anyway however, comparing it with your collection. No matter. I didn't order it from Japan, maybe that's something to do with it.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:30 am 

I'm fairly sure some people just chuck that stuff away, Philistines! :getout:

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:38 am 

Throwing away obi strips is definitely a severe form of blasphemy. I'm very glad that my ignorant, younger self decided they were worth keeping.

A couple of albums I got came with stickers of the cover art (pre-order goodies I guess). Not sure if I should actually stick them somewhere or just keep them.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:05 am 

Heh yeah, and cardboard sleeves too, don't even get me started on longboxes! :ugh:

Stickers eh, I never stick them to anything, they just sit in the drawer...
I don't want to use/lose them by sticking them to a thing, even if the thing was never going anywhere like shelving etc
Guitar cases do tend to attract stickers though I've noticed :lol:

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:44 am 

I must begrudgingly admit that I sometimes throw out cardboard sleeves. I keep a few of them if I think they're cool enough (like the ones I have for Venom's first two albums), but if it's stuff like the sleeves Relapse puts on the Death reissues and other CDs or just a holographic sleeve of the album cover then I throw them out. I kinda regret tossing the sleeves for my Iron Maiden CDs, but oh well. That was long ago and I didn't know better.

Excelfan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:22 pm 

Me again,i am a real pain in the ass,but what can i do when i simply can not resist to show what i have been collecting all these years.I keep the hottest for the end,and this will be some day,ha,ha!Everything in life what is good lasts too short,ha,ha!Anyway,i read some comments about power metal stuff,which definitelly not so my cup off tea,expect couple of releases which i will post later.I am totaly addicted into DM,TM,HC and old Crossover stuff,so do not expect AOR,HM and other type of metal,but i respect everyone who likes and collect that type of music!Enjoy folks!

Pay attention of this Destruction release .I think this is the rarest of all Steamhammer relases,not so often on ebay auctions!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:28 pm 

Oh wow man, awesome!
If you're in Serbia where are these CDs coming from? do you have good music shops/record fairs there?

Excelfan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:35 pm 

What can i say on that question friend,i am 42 years old guy and lot of things have been bought in good old days.Last ten years i used to buy through ebay and travelled alot through Europe.For collecting,as you probably know ,you need to have,patience,money and first of all luck,to find some good stuff for peanuts,like my good friend from France likes to say!I hope that i answered on your question!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:38 pm 

I sometimes dream of browsing through record fairs in Europe and beyond, I always wake up broke! ha ha :beer:

goncalobcunha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:43 pm 

That Forbidden - Trapped!!! :bow: :bow:

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:15 pm 

Asphyxia - Exit Reality

NICE

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:00 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
Asphyxia - Exit Reality

NICE

And Target. And Shah. And Obliveon.

FUUUUU....... :bow:

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:30 pm 

Haven't seen many of those Affliction CD's anywhere. Lots of great stuff in this set of pictures: Shah, Coven, Wrath, etc.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:00 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

Probably got more special stuff than someone like me though :P I have been acquiring a few Japanese pressings myself recently however. I can see myself throwing obi strips away as well if I'd been able to get them when I was younger. But I've been keeping everything, even down to the little competition-entry card that came with Winterheart's Guild (which was also awesome that the vendor kept) :lol:

Yeah, I'll never forgive myself for that. Oh well, I made worse mistakes. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that crap *grumble* The ones where I didn't keep the obis for are Iron Savior "Unification", Blind Guardian "A Night at the Opera" and Freedom Call "Taragon" and "Crystal Empire", etc. Not like I'd ever consider selling those, but I still feel pretty dumb. I don't think its worth it to go and rebuy the damn thing. I did do that with Triosphere's "Onward" because the idiots at The End Records didn't include the 2nd booklet or the obi strip. Oh well, I don't recall it costing that much, so maybe that's why.

At any rate, I don't think that Euro-power is that collectable (well, not in comparison to thrash and death metal). I'm assuming the No Remorse pressings of the first 3 Blind Guardian are worth something. Orden Ogan's "Testamonium A.D." is a bitch to get, as is the first Elvenking EP. Its funny, I've been listening to metal for a long time, but I'd say last year I was the first year I actually started collecting. Historically, I've always been rather pragmatic with CDs (ie, every CD I owned had to serve a purpose - I didn't keep collection fillers).

Nice thing about some Japanese power metal CDs is they can appreciate in value. Like, the 1st press of that Art of Gradation increased 2.5x in value after a few months (limited quantities and it has a bonus track that's not on the 2nd pressing).

I'll post some pics of some of my fave Euro power/prog CDs later today.

Quote:
Though I didn't seem to get an obi strip with Seimaken Valkyrias anyway however, comparing it with your collection. No matter. I didn't order it from Japan, maybe that's something to do with it.

Or whoever you bought it from threw the obi strip out. I'd be careful ordering any Japanese CD from outside of Japan (esp. from Hong Kong) - good chance its a bootleg. Oh, remember that one Dragon Guardian CD I was whining about not being able to get? Apparently, the band's official store sells it. I'll have to use a shopping service for that though. Their upcoming single will only be sold at some upcoming anime convention and their own store. Kinda makes it a pain in the ass for foreigners. I guess that's not as bad as live venue exclusive releases (the bane of my existence!)

Dudemanguy wrote:
Throwing away obi strips is definitely a severe form of blasphemy. I'm very glad that my ignorant, younger self decided they were worth keeping.

A couple of albums I got came with stickers of the cover art (pre-order goodies I guess). Not sure if I should actually stick them somewhere or just keep them.

I have a drawer where I put my pre-order bonuses. Definitely hang onto those. I've seen them increase the price on yahoo auctions by 2 to 4 times (could just be greedy people going nuts with prices though). For example, I see some guy on yahoo auctions trying to sell an older Aldious single for around $500 US. Yeah, good luck with that! :lol:

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:12 pm 

Spoiler: show
>Sees Target - Master Project Genesis
>Transforms into Spongebob
>I NEEEEEED IIIIITTT I NEEEEEEEEEED IIIIIIIIITTT

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:26 am 

This is for the Power/Trad people. This is only a small chunk but I'll post more tomorrow.

This is by far the rarest album I own.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:36 am 

Here's some of my favorite (mostly Euro) power & prog metal albums.

Anubis Gate, Pagan's Mind, Beyond Twilight, Conception.

I didn't release the first 4 Anubis Gate CDs went out of print and are valuable now. I much prefer the original of Pagan's Mind's debut (no idea how rare it is or not - their other CDs are pretty common, but I like them a lot). Beyond Twilight are the Massacre pressings (I try to avoid US licensed pressings).

Anguish, Ashes to Ashes, Arch Nemesis, Black Destiny, Cyberya, Dark at Dawn, Demonlord, Distant Thunder, The Dogma, Heimdall, Her Whisper, Lost Horizon, Powergod, Revengia, Seventh Gate, Taraxacum, Timeless Miracle.

Some of these are rare, while others are bargain-bin fodder. All mean a lot to me. That Black Destiny took forever to get a copy of - its one of my most prized CDs. Lost Horizon are pretty common, but these are the first pressings - allegedly some later pressings are poor quality.

Morgana Lefay/Lefay, Angel Dust, Hibria, Supreme Majesty, Scariot, Orden Ogan, Steel Attack, Lanfear, Secret Sphere.

Nothing particularly rare here. I think I like the packaging on the latest Hibria more than the actual music. :P "Defying the Rules" is the 1st pressing on Remedy (there's apparently some pressing(s) with the glorious intro omitted). I couldn't figure out which version of Orden Ogan's "Vale" sounded better, so I kept both. That Secret Sphere is the 2005 Japanese reissue w/ alternate cover and their demo as bonus.

FlynnEatsBreakfast
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:57 am 

Any BONGRIPPER fans? Here's my collection, not 100% but there's some pretty rare stuff:

Satan Worshipping Doom - 1st press 2LP (limited to 300)
Satan Worshipping Doom - 3rd press 2LP (gatefold cover, limited to 500)
Hate Ashbury - 1st press LP (limited to 300)
Hate Ashbury - 2nd press LP (clear vinyl, limited to 200)
The Great Barrier Reefer - 2LP (black vinyl)
Live at Roadburn - 2LP (gold vinyl, limited to 100)
Bongripper // Hate - LP (black vinyl, limited to 400)
Hippie Killer - 2LP (camo vinyl, limited to 200)
Heroin - 2LP (splatter "overdose" vinyl, #256 of 300)
Sex Tape / Snuff Film - 1st press 7" (black vinyl, limited to 500)
Heroin - Box Set (#1! of 25??)
The Great Barrier Reefer - CD reissue (white, limited to 50)
The Great Barrier Reefer - CD reissue (silver, limited to 50)
Hippie Killer - 1st pressing CD
Meat Ditch - MCD (2 copies, limited to 100)
Satan Worshipping Doom - 1st pressing CD (digipak, limited to 500)
The Great Barrier Reefer - CD reissue (digipak)
Hate Ashbury - CD
Hate Ashbury - cassette (#23 of 100)
Hippie Killer - CD reissue (digipak)
Live at Roadburn - 2CD (digipak)

So if anyone has some stuff that I don't and would like to sell then feel free to pm :p

I'll have to post my Zao collection and some of my OSDM CDs at some point too.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:23 am 

Glad to see more people contributing! :nods:

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:37 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
Yeah, I'll never forgive myself for that. Oh well, I made worse mistakes. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that crap *grumble* The ones where I didn't keep the obis for are Iron Savior "Unification", Blind Guardian "A Night at the Opera" and Freedom Call "Taragon" and "Crystal Empire", etc. Not like I'd ever consider selling those, but I still feel pretty dumb. I don't think its worth it to go and rebuy the damn thing. I did do that with Triosphere's "Onward" because the idiots at The End Records didn't include the 2nd booklet or the obi strip. Oh well, I don't recall it costing that much, so maybe that's why.

Those aren't too obscure at least, don't imagine they'd be the most rare of releases. Still feels sucky though I know heh. And I guess you get what you pay for :P
Quote:
At any rate, I don't think that Euro-power is that collectable (well, not in comparison to thrash and death metal). I'm assuming the No Remorse pressings of the first 3 Blind Guardian are worth something. Orden Ogan's "Testamonium A.D." is a bitch to get, as is the first Elvenking EP.

It doesn't seem to have such a widespread "cult" following as some other genres like those, no. Plus I think the fact that it's mostly a lot more modern doesn't help that much, heh. Nonetheless, I think there are some pretty rare and collectible releases, and there's a lot more really obscure PM than one might expect, heh.
Quote:
Its funny, I've been listening to metal for a long time, but I'd say last year I was the first year I actually started collecting. Historically, I've always been rather pragmatic with CDs (ie, every CD I owned had to serve a purpose - I didn't keep collection fillers).

Yeah, I'm kind of in the latter myself at the moment. My priority is to get all a band's individual songs, preferably on as few CDs as possible (in a manner of speaking). So I'd look for rare versions if they had a rare and cool bonus track (like most Japanese versions), or say, had the b-sides of an also very common single as bonus tracks, perhaps. And actually I'd also look for a rarer version if it didn't have all the alternate-version and live junk that tends to come with modern reissues of really old bands :lol:
Quote:
Nice thing about some Japanese power metal CDs is they can appreciate in value. Like, the 1st press of that Art of Gradation increased 2.5x in value after a few months (limited quantities and it has a bonus track that's not on the 2nd pressing).

Yeah, them Japanese have it good :roll:
Quote:
Or whoever you bought it from threw the obi strip out. I'd be careful ordering any Japanese CD from outside of Japan (esp. from Hong Kong) - good chance its a bootleg.

I'm pretty sure I got it "new", but never mind. Rest assured I don't order from "dodgy" places though, yeah :wink: (I simply bought it from the UK's Amazon store since I'm really lazy).
Quote:
Oh, remember that one Dragon Guardian CD I was whining about not being able to get? Apparently, the band's official store sells it. I'll have to use a shopping service for that though. Their upcoming single will only be sold at some upcoming anime convention and their own store. Kinda makes it a pain in the ass for foreigners. I guess that's not as bad as live venue exclusive releases (the bane of my existence!)

That's awesome! I'll have to look there some day, when I'll more likely be able to afford the shipping. And fortunately I don't think I've run into wanting any of those yet, but yeah, that would be tricky :roll:

Perdition666 wrote:
<Collection images>

That Timeless Miracle better not be the Japanese version!!
And I'll have to bear that in mind about the Lost Horizon releases. Their CDs seem to be going for pretty cheap on Amazon here, so maybe that's why...
But it's a pretty neat collection, even if I'm not actually too familiar with most of the bands; especially finding out that releases you have have gone out of print.
I'll have to get mine up when I get back to university and am reunited with the other half of it.
Quote:
(I try to avoid US licensed pressings)

Can those be dodgy or something? Hmm.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:58 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
"Defying the Rules" is the 1st pressing on Remedy (there's apparently some pressing(s) with the glorious intro omitted).

I had no idea there was an intro. My copy definitely doesn't have it.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:42 pm 

Nice Black Destiny-In Neo Noir. Been looking for that for awhile.

drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:54 pm 

My little Opeth collection.

drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:38 pm 

Paramaecium - Exumed Of The Earth (Witchhunt Records)
Paramaecium - Within The Ancient Forest (Pleitegeier Records)
Paramaecium - A Time To Mourn (self-release)
Lacrimas Profundere - La Naissance D'un Rêve (Korean press)
Lacrimas Profundere - La Naissance D'un Rêve - (Japanese version)
Lacrimas Profundere - Memorandum (Japanese version)
Lacrimas Profundere - Memorandum (Napalm)
Lacrimas Profundere - ...And The Wings Embraced Us (Russian version)

FlynnEatsBreakfast
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:24 am 

Excelfan: I'm curious as to whether you own a copy of Ghost - The Lost of Mercy? That's one I'd like to see, or were you saving it for last?

Anyways, here's some of my rarer death metal CDs, originals of course:

The Infester CD was real cheap because it doesn't have the booklet or back insert. The CD is original and mint however.

Next up I'll post my Zao collection soon.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:28 am 

Nice stuff man! That thing with the Infester sucks, but it was the difference between paying $15 and $150. ;)

The Crimson King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:35 am 

Some random stuff from my collection. Nothing all that rare.

Some Graveland, Abhorer, Dissection, Necrophagia, Zyklon & King Crimson

Sigh, Emperor, Forced Entry, Nocturnus, Blood Red Throne (Debut, Suicide Kit), Forced Entry, Mayhem Box Set, Solefald, Velvet Cacoon, Dimmu (I know, I know. Bought this many years ago. The steel box is still pretty cool, though. The CD you can't really see is Velvet Cacoon's Genevieve.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:07 am 

Ha! love those Zyklon tins, I have one myself [Aeon]
Serious Bongripper collection guy! nice

The Crimson King - indeed that is random :lol:

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:48 pm 

Some old vinyl selections (except the Black Funeral is somewhat recent).

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:21 pm 

Quick questions for you guys, what items in your collection are worth a good amount of money, but you had no idea? For example, I just recently got Celtic Frost - Cold Lake from a friend for free and found out it's worth somewhere around 35-45 dollars (From what the current prices on discogs are).

Daemonlord
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:31 am 

TheDarkHarvest wrote:
Quick questions for you guys, what items in your collection are worth a good amount of money, but you had no idea? For example, I just recently got Celtic Frost - Cold Lake from a friend for free and found out it's worth somewhere around 35-45 dollars (From what the current prices on discogs are).

Yeah I'm surprised quite how much some of my old early Noise Records pressings go for. I mean, as distribution goes those guys didn't exactly struggle getting their product out there so there MUST be a good number in circulation still. Yet, stuff like Coroner's albums still gain a pretty penny, and certain pieces from their catalog (Cold Lake, as a prime example) have been heavily bootlegged.

https://www.instagram.com/daemonlord_ig/

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:45 am 

I really need to find my USB cable for my camera so I can add some more 'micro collections'

TheDarkHarvest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:43 pm 

Daemonlord wrote:
TheDarkHarvest wrote:

Yeah I'm surprised quite how much some of my old early Noise Records pressings go for. I mean, as distribution goes those guys didn't exactly struggle getting their product out there so there MUST be a good number in circulation still. Yet, stuff like Coroner's albums still gain a pretty penny, and certain pieces from their catalog (Cold Lake, as a prime example) have been heavily bootlegged.

Yeah, I'm lucky to have gotten a nonbootleg of cold lake so easily, I thought I'd have to pay good money for it, but it just came to me haha

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:49 pm 

Daemonlord wrote:
TheDarkHarvest wrote:

Certain Noise Records albums are worth a lot because they've never been properly reissued. With that said, there are also a lot of other Noise Records releases that have been reissued frequently, and I'm not sure why certain ones are so difficult to license while others are not.

I'm not surprised that certain bands on it like Dragonforce and Gamma Ray are relatively available, as they were probably snapped up by another label, but I wonder how Deathrow's catalogue can be easily reissued while Running Wild and Iron Savior are less common.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next