Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SuicidalFreak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:39 am 

This day is the 25th anniversary of the release of Practice What You Preach. It's hard to believe that it's already been 25 years. I remember when I first bought Practice What You Preach in 1989 and listened to it immediately, I was thinking "hey, this record is not bad". 25 years later, it's still an awesome record and it's number one in my top five favorite Testament records, with The New Order in second place, Dark Roots of Earth in third, The Legacy in fourth and Souls of Black in last.

Feel free to share your thoughts, memories, opinions or whatever about this record.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 am 

Shit album

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:07 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Shit album
:wanker:

But seriously, it's not that bad, but it's not that great either.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:09 am 

I actually like this album a lot. It's just really generic, catchy thrash.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:16 am 

I like some Testament but that álbum is just kinda average.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:29 am 

It's doesn't break any new ground for the band and would certainly be a basis for a lot of what came afterwards, Demonic and The Gathering notwithstanding, but it's at least a more consistent listening experience for me than The New Order, something I probably wouldn't have thought years ago. If I had my druthers, I would have chopped either "Hypnosia" or "Nobody's Fault" (or even both,) hack the first minute from "Disciples of the Watch" before it launches into the main riff, and insert "Reign of Terror" as maybe the closer. It's still a head-scratcher why they left THAT song out! I don't have that same dilemma with this album, and the title track is still one of their best songs for good reason.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:19 pm 

I do have a soft spot of sorts for Practice What You Preach since it was the first Testament album I bought but it definitely isn't one of my favorites. The songwriting is pretty decent and the title track is an absolute classic, but the production sounds the bland performances somehow sound even blander. Give me The Legacy, Low, or The Gathering any day.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:31 pm 

Practice What You Preach is a rather..... Nondescript record, to put it mildly. Could never bring myself to care for it.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:36 pm 

It suffers from the same flaws every other Testament album suffers from: lots of filler material and following trends.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:14 pm 

I dissagree - aside from the obveously bad sounding production

the songs are top notch - Sins of Omission is better then anything off New Order / Souls of Black/ Ritual

and i think it has alex best lead work

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 pm 

Seconding the enjoyment for Sins of Omission. To me, that is their best song. I'm also a bit surprised by the dislike of the production. I don't particularly like the dryness of it, but I love how high the bass is in the mix. I enjoy being able to easily hear a good bass player a la Geddy, Choy, or Harris. I like the Legacy somewhat better, but I would put this album second in their catalog.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:17 pm 

Who gives a shit. Why is this even a thread. We don't need to give recognition to an album that's hardly a classic. o_O

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:40 pm 

indeed, all these 'album anniversaries' (that pollute my facebook feed) are dumb and gay.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:42 pm 

Some people apparently do see it as a classic though. it was the only Testament album that regularly had songs played from it on a loacl semi-mainstream metal rradio programme that turned me on to a lot of stuff in the 90s. and I can see why...it's got an inoffensive production but still isn't slow and "rock" sounding like Ritual and so on.

I'm not a fan though. The whole thing lacks energy and spirit. Alex is often pretty cool to listen to but even many of the leads here are boring and sound like guitar exercises. The bass is good 'n' loud but who cares when it barely plays anything interesting? Clemente is also probably (at this time especially) among the least adventurous/energetic drummers in all of the recognised US thrash bands.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:14 pm 

Maniac Matis wrote:
Who gives a shit. Why is this even a thread. We don't need to give recognition to an album that's hardly a classic. o_O

Chaosmonger wrote:
indeed, all these 'album anniversaries' (that pollute my facebook feed) are dumb and gay.

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you don't like the thread, then why insult it and everyone who has posted in it? There are many threads that don't interest me, but I don't waste the time to insult it and all who have given an opinion.

Abominatrix wrote:
Some people apparently do see it as a classic though. it was the only Testament album that regularly had songs played from it on a loacl semi-mainstream metal rradio programme that turned me on to a lot of stuff in the 90s. and I can see why...it's got an inoffensive production but still isn't slow and "rock" sounding like Ritual and so on.

I'm not a fan though. The whole thing lacks energy and spirit. Alex is often pretty cool to listen to but even many of the leads here are boring and sound like guitar exercises. The bass is good 'n' loud but who cares when it barely plays anything interesting? Clemente is also probably (at this time especially) among the least adventurous/energetic drummers in all of the recognised US thrash bands.

I am curious as to the lacking of energy and spirit. I would use a phrase like that to describe a debut that has a good deal of that associated excitement of freshness. I don't see how a third album can be blamed for lacking that. As to the bass, I like when it is loud, as I feel that adds fullness. Admittedly, he is only interesting in moments, but I would say that 95% or so of bassists don't even have that.

None of this is meant as rude or offensive, merely as casual conversation.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:22 pm 

@StainedClass95, the number of the album clearly does not matter nor does it have any correlation whatsoever with the energy or excitement contained within. "Oh this is X band's 5th album, it's probably more exciting than their first 4 (or vice versa)." Practice What You Preach is downright boring in comparison to Testament's first two works and most other US thrash at the time. Abominatrix nailed it about Louie Clemente being a horrendously boring drummer, especially in comparison with other US thrash acts like Dark Angel and Sadus. This lame excuse for a thrash album is just a load of puke, through and through.

Chaosmonger wrote:

These are my thoughts exactly and the reason why I responded the way I did to this post. There is little room for discussion beyond "This album was released 25 years ago! Neat. What are your favorite songs?" Worthless thread is worthless.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 pm 

Practice What You Preach is a great album. The riffing and vocal arrangements are really heavy, much more so than the production, which was still treble-heavy and super crunchy. The music is pretty much the best sort of groovy thrash there is, these songs sound great when the band plays it live now, but it feels like the band was a few years ahead of production tendencies. I'd certainly take this over any of Overkill's 90s groovy thrash stuff.

Louie Clemente's drumming also adds a lot to the album - while many thrash bands were becoming very reliant on double bass and drums completely following the guitars, his style was still more akin to old heavy metal - he'd jam it a bit, leave some space, use D beats and other offset beats that really let the guitars shine rather than the band being a single percussive attack - perhaps the peril of thrash metal at the time.

It's a great album that carries hard through the seventh song - Sins of Omission is my favorite on the album, would've been interesting to hear a thicker recording of that like on First Strike Still Deadly. The album drops off with The Ballad (seriously, 6+ minutes?) and doesn't quite pick up for the last two songs, but overall the album is great.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 pm 

Practice What You Preach is a great album. The riffing and vocal arrangements are really heavy, much more so than the production, which was still treble-heavy and super crunchy. The music is pretty much the best sort of groovy thrash there is, these songs sound great when the band plays it live now, but it feels like the band was a few years ahead of production tendencies. I'd certainly take this over any of Overkill's 90s groovy thrash stuff.

Louie Clemente's drumming also adds a lot to the album - while many thrash bands were becoming very reliant on double bass and drums completely following the guitars, his style was still more akin to old heavy metal - he'd jam it a bit, leave some space, use D beats and other offset beats that really let the guitars shine rather than the band being a single percussive attack - perhaps the peril of thrash metal at the time.

It's a great album that carries hard through the seventh song - Sins of Omission is my favorite on the album, would've been interesting to hear a thicker recording of that like on First Strike Still Deadly. The album drops off with The Ballad (seriously, 6+ minutes?) and doesn't quite pick up for the last two songs, but overall the album is great.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:36 pm 

I get if you like the album (I like it too) but I wouldn't go far enough to actually defend Clemente...

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:38 pm 

It's definitely a good Testament album. Probably my third or fourth favourite though.

For some reason the song "Nightmare (Coming Back To You)" never gets mentioned in discussions of this album, which is strange because it is by far the best song on the album for me. Incredibly thrashy and energetic.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:18 pm 

Maniac Matis wrote:
@StainedClass95, the number of the album clearly does not matter nor does it have any correlation whatsoever with the energy or excitement contained within. "Oh this is X band's 5th album, it's probably more exciting than their first 4 (or vice versa)." Practice What You Preach is downright boring in comparison to Testament's first two works and most other US thrash at the time. Abominatrix nailed it about Louie Clemente being a horrendously boring drummer, especially in comparison with other US thrash acts like Dark Angel and Sadus. This lame excuse for a thrash album is just a load of puke, through and through.

Chaosmonger wrote:

These are my thoughts exactly and the reason why I responded the way I did to this post. There is little room for discussion beyond "This album was released 25 years ago! Neat. What are your favorite songs?" Worthless thread is worthless.

On the first point, I did not make the connection to excitement. I was interpreting him more like how debuts often have a charm to them due to the youthful attitude, a line of reasoning I know now to be inaccurate. On the drummer, I find this comparison unfair. At that time, who did compare to Hoglan in thrash? For that matter, constant jackhammering would have shot the mood and feel of Practice all to little pieces. This album isn't a very aggressive entity in any way. It thrives off some melodicism, jazzy bits, and some heavy, groovy moments strewn about. The album would have definitely been improved by some more creative fills, but Louie's mediocrity isn't what holds this album back.

As to your last point, worthless is a somewhat relative term. Do I gain in material possessions by participating on this site? No, not in the least. If anything, we probably end up putting off our chores and work for it. I can't speak for others, but I just enjoy discussing things in a rational and intelligent matter. My point is, none of this is worthwhile in the normal sense. We do all that we do here out of enjoyment. To single out something as worthless because you don't like it is just weird to me.

My tone may sound harsh, but I sincerely don't mean to be. I only reviewed the album as an 84, so I don't exactly view this as brilliant. I just don't get why it's so wrong for people to discuss an album that many do enjoy. To criticize something is par for the course, but claiming that the whole thread is worthless is missing the forest for the trees.

All of this is my opinion, and is again not meant to be rude. My purpose here is merely to enjoy and learn.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:08 pm 

I've got a soft spot for this album because it was the first Testament album I ever owned. My best friend's older brother had previously exposed us to Testament because he had bought "New Order" and loved to quote "Disciples of the Watch! Obey! Or I'll burn you to that cross!" Having not seen "The Omen 3" at that time, I had no frame of reference for those lyrics. Anyway, when "Practice..." came out we got really into it. I have to admit that the production has not held up very well and I'm really not a fan of Greg's bass tone, which is way up in the mix, but I like Chuck's vocals and Alex's playing and I think the songs are good. Louie was solid behind the kit but he wasn't exciting and unfortunately he was playing a style of music where his playing would be held up against the likes of Dave Lombardo, Charlie Benante, Gene Hoglan, etc. As I recall, "Practice..." was as close to a "commercial break through" as Testament ever had and nearly changed The Big 4 into The Big 5 (in terms of sales) but they were never able to surpass this level.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:09 pm 

I love this album! Yeah it's nothing groundbreaking but it's really enjoyable thrash. I was a huge Testament fan and I bought it immediately when it came out. Skolnicks solos are fucking godly!! I'm listening to it now and it's still as good as it was 25 years ago. "Perilous Nation" has a monster solo. Great album!

@Maniac Matis: If you don't like anniversary threads, then don't read them. No one made you look at this thread! I guess it's because you weren't there....or even born yet! I was and this album meant a lot to me and a lot of other metal heads at the time. This is a classic whether or not you deem it so!

Like your reviews?

darksunset
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:28 pm 

It's a not a terrible album, but after hearing The Legacy this was a huge let down IMO. It definitely was played a lot on local rock /metal stations at the time, but I found it rather bland and lacking intensity. If anything it widened their fan base, you saw a hell of a lot more Testament shirts after this! Personally I kind of stopped following the band by then, there was just too many other bands around that played with passion.

ShaunMalice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 pm 

I love Testament a lot more than most on these boards (Legacy and the Gathering being two of my favourite albums period), but I don't think PWYP is among their best work. Title track is brilliant, as well as a few others, but generally the songs are average and the album as a whole is held in a higher esteem than it deserves - feel pretty similarly about Souls of Black too, althought that one is not highly regarded

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:39 pm 

^^I agree that it may not be their best but it's still one of my favorites. I don't think it deserves the shit that it gets.

Like your reviews?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:01 am 

The way I see it: "Practice what you Preach" was to Testament was what the black album was to Metallica. In other words, it was the album where the band wimped out, watered down and commercialized their sound. It is a marginally good album for what its worth but not, in my opinion, a great album. Still blows my mind that the thing is 25 years old. I remember that's when you started seeing a lot more people, many of them former glam/mallcore kids, wearing Testament shirts around. That was also right about the time thrash metal started to quickly fade, as more and more people were either turning towards death and black metal, or burning out on metal altogether and getting into non-metal stuff like grunge, punk or in some cases the (gag) Grateful Dead.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:54 am 

My least favorite classic Testament album. Not that it's bad but it's pretty hit and miss. "Greenhouse Effect" is one of my favorite Testament songs, though.

Imo, the best testament Albums were The Legacy and Souls of Black.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:46 am 

PWYP is the final Testament album I can tolerate. It's not fantastic - it's sort of in the 6/10 region for me and very little stands out - but at least they hadn't yet descended into the tripe that's best exemplified, I feel, by Demonic. As far as I'm concerned, the most recent two are pretty much worthless as well.

IMO it's clear that their magnum opus is The Legacy.

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:34 am 

I loved this album when it came out, but it was my first year getting into metal (I was 12). So it's one of those nostalgic albums for me.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:51 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:

I am curious as to the lacking of energy and spirit. I would use a phrase like that to describe a debut that has a good deal of that associated excitement of freshness. I don't see how a third album can be blamed for lacking that.

Obviously "energy and spirit" are both somewhat nebulous, indefinable factors that are not going to be experienced in the same way by everyone. I can't prove to you that the album doesn't have energy or spirit, I can only report how it sounds to me when I listen. But wait, you're saying that because it's their third album it doesn't need either of those things? Damn, I feel like when a metal band loses both of those it's probably time to give up. Note that "energy and spirit" doesn't necessarily translate to "Play faster damit!"...although in Testament's case to be honest, I often wished that they would do just that.

Quote:
As to the bass, I like when it is loud, as I feel that adds fullness. Admittedly, he is only interesting in moments, but I would say that 95% or so of bassists don't even have that.

I too like a strong bass presence, but I don't think this one really adds much weight to the album. In fact it's almost as though the bass is just loud because the guitars sound a bit thin and reedy.

None of this is meant as rude or offensive, merely as casual conversation.[/quote]

Of course!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:32 pm 

Well, I first listened to the title track when listening to their "best of" album of '96. I was 12 or 13 when I listened to it, so it blew me away. Later, I came across the album (didn't buy it) and by listening to the whole record, I realized it's not THAT great, but still enjoyable, especially PWYP, Sins of Omission, and Confusion Fusion (yep, I like that song haha). The production sounds very dry, as someone over there said, and the album is kind of a "hit or miss": some songs are great and some are bland and boring.

Anyway, this is their weakest album - along with The Ritual - of the "classic" lineup, but it doesn't mean it's a BAD album.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:43 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
I love this album!

You love everything, though!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:28 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
mjollnir wrote:
I love this album!

You love everything, though!

:lol: Actually I don't love everything. I have a few negative opinions floating around out there. :)

Like your reviews?

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:17 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
StainedClass95 wrote:

I am curious as to the lacking of energy and spirit. I would use a phrase like that to describe a debut that has a good deal of that associated excitement of freshness. I don't see how a third album can be blamed for lacking that.

Obviously "energy and spirit" are both somewhat nebulous, indefinable factors that are not going to be experienced in the same way by everyone. I can't prove to you that the album doesn't have energy or spirit, I can only report how it sounds to me when I listen. But wait, you're saying that because it's their third album it doesn't need either of those things? Damn, I feel like when a metal band loses both of those it's probably time to give up. Note that "energy and spirit" doesn't necessarily translate to "Play faster damit!"...although in Testament's case to be honest, I often wished that they would do just that./

My bit about the difference between a debut and third album wasn't worded well, and I misunderstood you. I often hear people euphemize a young band's roughness and occasional mistakes as adding to the energy of the album, adding a sort of character. I was saying that I would expect a third album to be tighter, and not need the youthful energy to carry it through. Obviously, it still needs oomph, but not that kind.

Yes, I do think Testament would have been served by playing a little faster, but tossing the drumming from Dark Angel or Sadus into this album would have wrecked the feel or forced a wholesale change. Also, it seems that the more mid-tempo songs work better for Chuck, so it's still a sort of trade-off.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:59 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
For some reason the song "Nightmare (Coming Back To You)" never gets mentioned in discussions of this album, which is strange because it is by far the best song on the album for me. Incredibly thrashy and energetic.

Agreed, incredibly hooky yet for a two minute song it feels really complete. Honestly, I think it's exactly the kind of music that good pop-punk is made out of. I can't believe that something as boring as Greenhouse Effect was used as the promo single, and not Nightmare.

Rest of the album does little for me though.

LeonardoS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:42 pm 

I do like this album, but don't consider it to be the masterpiece that a whole lot of people claim it to be.
The Ballad is a hell of a song... sill in love for this track. hahahahaha
It is a rememorable album, very influent and it sounds great to me. Congrats Testament for the album and great history.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:35 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

Agreed, incredibly hooky yet for a two minute song it feels really complete. Honestly, I think it's exactly the kind of music that good pop-punk is made out of. I can't believe that something as boring as Greenhouse Effect was used as the promo single, and not Nightmare.

Rest of the album does little for me though.

How are you comparing Nightmare to pop-punk? I'm not a pop-punk fan, so my thought is the stuff my mom liked, Billy Idol. I fail to connect this song to say, Rebel Yell. Could you please elaborate on your, to me, weird connection?

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:43 pm 

Surprised by the lack of love for "The Ballad". It's easy to hate on it because of the softer sections but the thrashing part is probably my favorite Testament moment ever. Chuck sounds so powerful and uplifting in it. "What's to fear? Fear no more! Show my conscience what fear's for!" These words sound like they came from his heart.

Also, I'm amused by the effort by some people to put the album down. I can even picture some people saying a prayer to stupid ass Ultraboris in hopes of his approval. In my opinion, it's not a classic, but still a fine album. "Perilous Nation" is also pretty underrated and even better than the title track. Better riffs, tighter execution, catchier chorus.

However, the thin ass production sucks.

Reply to topic