Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 pm 

You guys need to try taking a break from Gas Station shitters and step it up to Starbucks shitters :D

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:54 pm 

At work I'm usually stuck in a Dairy Queen shitter. Much more dignified (and sanitary) than the one at the McDonald's down the street.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 pm 

Finished up the mix for the blackthrash band's EP the other day, so we're just working on getting that sent off to the printers and getting a load of CDs made up. Starting the fun process of getting reviews and promo sorted for it as well, which isn't going too badly - got an interview for Terrorizer's website to finish, so that's pretty cool.

Somebody filmed our full set from when we opened for Inquisition last week, if any of you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVQazeuSug

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:55 pm 

^That is awesome. How was the show? I've seen Inquisition three times and they always destroy, such a good live band.

I'm digging your set. Are you just releasing CDs or are you gonna do digital as well?

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:13 pm 

My laptop's harddrive crashed and needs replacing. Thank god I had my songs on mp3 players, but still... there goes a lot of my almost finished shit. Getting it worked on as we speak. Hopefully, the data can still be harvested. Hoping a songwriting challenge doesn't start until it's fixed, but I'm not asking for leniency in any way, so if it does, oh well.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 pm 

Found out yesterday we might have a chance to open for Solstice, which would be pretty sweet. Just waiting to hear back from the venue.
Also got a show coming up on the 2nd called Panzerfest, and then another in September in St. Louis, MO.

Also got asked about my music being used in a "low budget gore flick."

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:39 pm 

Solid man!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:22 pm 

Getting used to the idiosyncracies of my new guitar every day. How best to pick so I can wring the best sound out of it, the sweet spots for pinch harmonics, the sweet spots for the perfect palm-mutes,how much to bend at which frets etc. Also how best to EQ amps to really let it shine.

I'm a total Fender Strat and Gibson Les Paul geek but despite being surrounded by that stuff at work, I think my this one fits me and my playing the best. Thick, solid neck unlike most Ibanez guitars, and sweet sweet vibrato not unlike the neck pickup of a Les Paul with the volume rolled back slightly. Despite being a Marty Friedman signature, this baby handles the Drop C tuning and heavier string gauges (which you'd never associate with the dude) like a charm. And all for US$600. Best buy ever.

Oshiego album well under way, can't wait to let you guys hear it.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:29 pm 

somefella, any pictures of the guitar? I vaguely remember something being posted but can't recall now.

On another note, today is the last day I go without a complete drum kit. Tomorrow will bring all sorts of fun with that and frustration as I try to tune the small rack tom again. I like tuning stringed instruments better, seems so much easier but that might just be from years of playing? I'm also weirdly excited about setting the kit up physically, arranging the cymbals, snare, adjusting the rack tom height etc. it's really appealing to me because I can arrange it until I'm comfortable and everything is just right. Might toss the ride on the left side for a bit, but I'll see how it feels. I haven't checked but I'm assuming something like Candlemass or Electric Wizard will be good easy songs to start trying to play along with.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:30 pm 

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/MFM1

This is it, basically. When I saw Seymour Duncan/Ibz I initially thought it was gonna be like the shitty Duncan Designed ones but they are actually fine as hell. Voiced like the JB and 59 combo, which is what the artist used in his Jackson Kellys while in Megadeth anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =3&theater

And here it is in action. Though I've gone and set it up for drop C tuning by now.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:16 pm 

Yea just ashame those terrible fucking stars all over it.

played a show last night:
http://youtu.be/XS-7e1VVSNQ

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:51 pm 

Last month recorded three tracks, for a split release were doing. with Trepanation from Rehoboth, Getting artwork sorted out, hopefully should be out around early September. :)
Also have been working on a new track, well the lyrics where originally written back end of 2010. But the riff is new, have been editing the music to see what fits best. Have been working on an intro. which I hope adds something atmospheric, just hoping my laptop can last until next summer :panda:

markso
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:53 pm 

I took some time off to watch my kid get born and help the wife. I decided to work on my vocals as well. I looked around and found a very good, but affordable singing range techniques. So far so good.

Melancholy709
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:09 pm 

My guitarist and I are trying to get our grindcore/powerviolence band Frail Vessel active again, so we've been jamming and trying out people for the last couple of weeks.
http://frailvessel.bandcamp.com/

Also in the process of dubbing tapes for my solo Black Metal project Bone Alley.
http://bonealley.bandcamp.com/

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:35 pm 

Fuck that frail vessel is great. release that shit on cd.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:50 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yea just ashame those terrible fucking stars all over it.

played a show last night:
http://youtu.be/XS-7e1VVSNQ

Geet yer fuckin' asses up here to the fuckin stage n geet owff yer face-fuckin-books n shit! Make sum fuckin noise fer Dragon-aauff!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:32 pm 

hahaha yea that was Little John. He plays drums for Emerald Heavy. great guy.

Melancholy709
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:32 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Fuck that frail vessel is great. release that shit on cd.

Thanks man, much appreciated. We've released the 2013 demo on cassette and cd-r, but broke up about a week after recording our full length back in February due to the bassist and song contributor leaving. We would like to release a physical version of that album, so maybe it'll happen in the future.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:35 pm 

Sweet hopefully cd, god I hate tapes.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:09 pm 

My band's tour is now complete and was overall a success I'd say. The shows were good for the most part and we made enough cash to cover expenses, plus a bit of profit from merch sales. Many drunken shenanigans were had, probably the most fun we've had as a band in a while.

Going back to work this morning was bruuutal, I think I got hit by the cumulative effect of a week's worth of hangovers and long drives all at once. Totally worth it though.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
hahaha yea that was Little John. He plays drums for Emerald Heavy. great guy.

Dude my old band played with a couple of his bands a few times at The Tavern, and his calls for everyone to get inside are always fucking great.

Got the music for two more Spawning Vats songs written last night. Also, might be getting some people together to jam some crossover/thrashcore in town, we'll see how it pans out. Other than that I've been churning out potential SV material.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:59 pm 

Started tracking guitars today for the new and as of yet untitled Oshiego third album. Guitars sounding HUGE, and yet the clarity is impressive. Even for big open chords a la Inquisition/Immortal, the string to string definition is really good, and of course the death metal chugging that ties it all together is tight and punchy while still sounding big. This guitar was the best buy ever.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:00 pm 

Fucking solid I got my firepod back friday so I'm ready to record once again.

Good deal somefella, you better shake all our asses.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:09 am 

Taking on some of the advice I've been given by LambKiller in the critical feedback thread, I'm heading to band prac tonight ready to crack the whip on myself and my bandmates. Communication is definitely starting to open up, and I feel we are becoming much better song writers together - shit isn't as awkward as it used to be, and hopefully we can work at reflecting this in a better live show.

We also got done recording and mixing a track which we are probs going to send off to get mastered to do a bit of a proper release for it. We've got some biggish shows coming up later this year and I want us to be absolutely on the ball.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:43 am 

Good deal! I'm glad you took it constructively and not personally like some people would.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:37 pm 

DUDE! You do not support my music because you are in a band of your own and also because you are a capitalist slave, unlike me in my liberated utopia of unemployment and uselessness.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:48 pm 

bwhahahaahhaha. I almost he would pop up to spout some stupid shit and then immediately get banned again. Maybe i'll go to his site and email him telling him how fucking worthless he is.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:33 pm 

:lol:

So my band is gonna be releasing an album on the label Negative Gain before the end of the year. They are a bit more on the electro/industrial side of things but are super excited for it. Stoked!

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:20 pm 

Playing a show next weekend with long time going Seattle band Coven. Should be fun to share the stage with them, they usually bring out a good crowd. Going to be at a smaller bar in Everett, WA, but every band that plays there absolutely loves it :)

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:16 pm 

I've thought long and hard about it, and I've decided to hire a drummer to perform session work on my songs. Programmed drums only take it so far before the song loses it's humanity.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:31 pm 

That's probably a good call. I personally don't mind programmed drums if it suits the music, but it's often an immediate turn off for many metal fans.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:49 pm 

I don't mind them to a certain extent. But yes, that's precisely why I want to use real drums. Since I'm wanting to market my shtuff, I don't want to half ass it in any way. Drum programming just feels like a cheap shortcut in marketed music, especially metal. Same for bass programming.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:44 am 

That's awesome to hear, I know not only in my tastes but a large amount of people I know immediately take a deeper interest in a work if it's actually performed and not programmed. I rather have a human that makes some mistakes than a perfect drum machine.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:32 am 

Just released my blackthrash band's EP, had a few sales already, which is nice. Been a lot of work getting everything together for it, but we're pretty happy with how it's come out.

http://noltinangananannolta.bandcamp.co ... enomhammer

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:51 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
That's awesome to hear, I know not only in my tastes but a large amount of people I know immediately take a deeper interest in a work if it's actually performed and not programmed. I rather have a human that makes some mistakes than a perfect drum machine.

Precisely. So far I received a partial prelim of his work and it's damn good. Beats my simple ass programming by a long shot, haha.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:42 pm 

I liked your programming and thought it was mixed very well, but I'm definitely happy to be playing on your song. :)

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:51 pm 

You just want my money. :lol:

Kidding. I'll more than likely get you to do some more songs if you're down. Namely, the other ones on my soundcloud. Just not all at the same time because budget.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:49 pm 

Oooooo you picked CloggedUrethra for the drums, good choice.

I was just practicing drumming last night, still have little idea what I am doing but it'5is a ton of fun, much more physical than playing guitar. Need to install a cup-holder on my kit to hold beers though.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:18 pm 

Definitely interested Arkhane!

Apteronotus, yeah it's always fun hitting shit.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:54 pm 

Sounds awesome!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 185  Next