Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:22 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
am I cool for having roomed with Mike of FE at Maryland Deathfest, before he started the label? And helping him with a description or two early on? Do I get a little e-cred? Internet fame by proxy?

I dunno, am I cool for going down to LA and meeting him and my artist, eating pizza off his face?
Spoiler: show

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:58 pm 

Trepaneringsritualen + Sutekh Hexen - One Hundred Year Storm

Not technically a metal release, but one of the bands is on the site. Live collaboration between these two bands at Stella Natura 2013. Absolutely massive blackened noise/drone/industrial. The atmosphere this recording creates totally engulfs you as the listener, I can only imagine what it would have been like to see this performed live. Definitely in my top 10 of the year as of now.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:04 pm 

Markov wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
am I cool for having roomed with Mike of FE at Maryland Deathfest, before he started the label? And helping him with a description or two early on? Do I get a little e-cred? Internet fame by proxy?

I dunno, am I cool for going down to LA and meeting him and my artist, eating pizza off his face?

Hahaha. He's such a muscly bastard. There's a pic on facebook somewhere with us both showing our nips.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:23 pm 

Bölzer's Soma is awesome just as expected. Can't wait for their album.

I'm actually surprised with the new Belphegor, never really liked them, just some songs, but I'm digging this new one

Grave Digger was half decent, half boring as expected. And I don't really understand the praise around Falconer, the album seemed so... regular.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:31 am 

Since this has happened multiple times on this thread and the labels that released this are HORRIBLE at promotion, I released a funeral doom album this year. Free download here:

http://markovsoroka.bandcamp.com/album/unsleep

[spoiler]Image

Last edited by Metantoine on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
No promotion/markoving please.

bensabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:55 pm 

I loved the new Bastard Feast.
Ex elitist. Nice combination of Death, Sludge, Black, Crust.
http://bastardfeast.bandcamp.com/

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:26 pm 

Haha, he just couldn't help it with the shameless Markoving.

I've been digging the new Coffinworm, Lord Mantis and Skaphe lately. I like Coffinworm's first album, but this just brought it to the next level. A huge variety of riffs, excellent production and they have a total beast behind the kit. The industrial tinge worked out nicely for Lord Mantis and they have another legit album under their belts. Skaphe is just some really cool dissonant black metal with hellish dark ambient. Takes a while to soak in, but it's worth it.

Panopticon and Saor are contenders for aoty. I'm definitely also happy to see sludge forefathers Crowbar and Eyehategod releasing damn solid albums.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:47 pm 

Haha, I saw a few people doing it in the thread, but figured it was lame after it happened.

Anyway, I heard Bölzer's Soma for the first time last night and I have to say that it's really good. When I first heard "Aura" I had to relisten to it a few times to understand how ingenious it actually was. Okoi's 12-string guitar really does provide a unique experience, and those things are DAMNED hard to play. On regard of Soma, the lyrical concept is just as good as Aura, considering it's a counterpart, and now while listening to their discography, it's almost like listening to a full length.

Going to give it a few more spins, but "Labyrinthian Graves" is a hell of a song. I also have to commend Brown's artwork on this, it's really killer, some of his finest work, in my opinion.

I haven't seen much on this thread about it, but the new Funereal Presence album "The Archer Takes Aim" is a fine release as well. It uses traditional black metal influence while using strange techniques with the various guitar channels, which is a rare combination nowadays (or at least on a release that isn't completely awful...) but it pulls it off quite tastefully.

As far as AoTY goes, right now mine is either Thantifaxath, Spectral Lore, or Hail Spirit Noir, but in the long run I'm sure that the new Dawn, Alrakis (maybe?) and Darkspace will overtake.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:06 am 

Oh yes, the new Bolzer is absolutely great. Perhaps not as good as Aura, but definitely close. By far one of my favourite extreme metal bands of recent years. Totally original without straying outside the realm of metal. Also forgot to mention Spectral Lore and Hail Spirit Noir in my post, both of their new albums are very good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:57 am 

The new Steel Prophet is pretty good. It's got some cool guitarwork and some classic speed metal/power metal riffing going on, and it fills the void left by bands like Agent Steel in their absence - it's also good to have more muscular, complex American metal while Pharaoh isn't putting out albums. I don't think this is as catchy as the old stuff though, and what I liked about their albums from 1999-2001 is this kind of great riffing combined with extremely hooky almost Europower vocal lines at times. This new one doesn't really have that.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:50 pm 

Right now I'm re-listening (for about the 6th time) to the new Impetuous Ritual - which, while it probably won't make my Top 10 or anything, is quite good as far as "chaotic" death metal goes. Production and songwriting-wise, this is more like what Portal's 'Vexovoid' should have been.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:55 pm 

This was a fantastic find. The pure heaviness of Conan filtered through the depressive eyes of Winter with some of Indian's fucked up sludge to complete it. Really bleak.

http://forn.bandcamp.com/album/the-depa ... sciousness

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:02 am 

Idola Specus is a stunning album by Drowned. Mid-paced Death metal for the most part, filled with some of the evillest sounding tremolo riffs you'll hear this year. Pretty much the album I expected from them.

Desecresy's Chasmic Transcendence is killer also.
For me, its on par with the Doom Skeptron.
Love it

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:25 am 

Motherfucking DROWNED has a new album out I haven't heard about?! The songs on youtube sounds killer

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:20 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
This was a fantastic find. The pure heaviness of Conan filtered through the depressive eyes of Winter with some of Indian's fucked up sludge to complete it. Really bleak.

http://forn.bandcamp.com/album/the-depa ... sciousness

:bow:

... I've been listening to it almost non-stop the last few days.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:09 pm 

anybody heard the new Ceremonial Castings album yet? Not sure what I think of it so far, granted I've only heard the first track as of now. First thing that I heard sounds like Big boss from Root (the Czech black/heavy metal band) was doing guest vocals. It's a bit different from the other Ceremonial Castings stuff I've heard, but they still have those blistering melodies thrown in between the chaos which I always really liked, not sure what I think of this one.

DivineSpirit33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:32 pm 

Old Graves' EP Like Straining Boughs is absolutely wonderful. Never heard any better post-black than this, and the folk just makes it even better.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:57 pm 

Omnihility - Deathscapes Of The Subconscious
[technical brutal death metal]

This band's sophomore effort is awesome! Now on Unique Leader, the production is better and the artwork excellent (Mark Cooper). There is some amazing guitar work to be appreciated here. The songs have a driving, vicious groove; good vocals, and blistering drums. Definitely one of the more interesting releases within the genre this year.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:15 pm 

andersbang wrote:
Motherfucking DROWNED has a new album out I haven't heard about?! The songs on youtube sounds killer

Holyshit yes! I momentarily forgot about the band after I heard their promo songs for the album and I've been meaning to check their full length out.

Oh and that Fórn album rules hard too.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:15 pm 

New Omnihility is out and it can best be described as controlled chaos. It's loud, in your face, but it's also some of the tightest musicianship I've heard this year. The band focuses more on playing as a cohesive unit instead of trying to blow you away with their technical proficiency.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:06 am 

If you feel like it's time for some more doom this year, I've got you plugged:

Poisoned By Life is my doom band and, well, it's worthwhile.

P.S. That Forn album kicks ass. Wow.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:45 am 

DivineSpirit33 wrote:
Old Graves' EP Like Straining Boughs is absolutely wonderful. Never heard any better post-black than this, and the folk just makes it even better.

Agreed. Great post-black/atmospheric in the vein of Agalloch and Woods of Desolation. Looking forward to more releases. He also released a split with Australia's Paths just last week i believe. I listened only one time but it sounded pretty decent.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:01 pm 

I'm surprised I haven't seen Darkest Era's Severance mentioned here. They really upped their game and wrote a damn solid album. Definitely influenced by Primordial with those rich, Celtic textures and epic brooding vocals.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:07 pm 

I've been listening to Capilla Ardiente's Bravery Truth and Endless Darkness almost non stop the past few weeks. Great doom metal, not as magnificente as Procession's To Reap Heavens Apart (both are projects of the great Felipe Kutzbach) but worthy of praise. Capilla Ardiente deserves a little more attention!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwtgMcZjTSo

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:12 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I'm surprised I haven't seen Darkest Era's Severance mentioned here. They really upped their game and wrote a damn solid album. Definitely influenced by Primordial with those rich, Celtic textures and epic brooding vocals.

I could have sworn I mentioned it, but I must have just thought about mentioning it. :???: I agree with you wholeheartedly, especially along the vocal lines. The Last Caress of Light had some moments of brilliance on it, but Severance just offers so much more and has no weak points. It's easily in my top 5 so far this year.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:40 am 

Alestorms "Sunset On The Golden Age" has been released, and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it has these awesome songs like 1741 (The Battle of Cartagena) and Sunset on the Golden Age which hark back to their actual golden age "Black Sails at Midnight". And on the other hand it has far to much mindless party songs which are only good for a quick chuckle. It makes up for quite the schizofrenic album.

Less ska-pirate folk metal and more epic trumpets infused power metal please. We know you can do it. Faster, more agressive, and a little bit more seriousness. Maybe replace your drummer with someone more akin to your previous drummer Ian Wilson.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:16 pm 

rafa_hell wrote:
And I don't really understand the praise around Falconer, the album seemed so... regular.

Took me a couple listens but I really really like it. The vocals seemed a bit tired/lazy at times but then I realized they're not trying to go for that huge, epic sound so many bands are trying to emulate and it really works with the music. Especially the track Wasteland, one of the best they've ever done. It's been a great year for power metal!

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:41 pm 

The Blut Aus Nord material on their split with PHOBOS is actually terrific. I took my time to get around to it as the Liber III and Deb Morti EPs just underwhelmed me and there seemed to be so much Blut stuff coming out all at once it flew over my head. But the guitar tone, the leads on these three new songs, the overall sound with the live drums, and those spectral chants on 'Hubris', cunting classy stuff!

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:30 am 

The Hungarian band Karst is continuing with their endeavour in the border regions of ther black metal scene. Those jazzy and folky elements are a nice countpoint to the harshness of their Darkthrone-influences stuff. Well ... this development is actually not much a surprise when someone has followed them over the releases. Nevertheless, the level on which they celebrate it still raises an eyebrow though.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:34 pm 

Here's some seriously crushing Ancient Egyptian themed Death Metal by way of Germany's Maat. This album is quickly running to the top of my list for the year.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:05 am 

that Maat album is pretty good ! The Nile and Behemoth fans will probably dig that one...

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:52 pm 

This seems like an appropriate place for me to dote on my favorite discovery of the last year. Demon Bitch! Yes yes, I know the name isn't so great, at least not at first. But when you hear their sound and get into their lyrics it's oddly fitting. They make what they lovingly dub "Black Magic Heavy Metal" and I think that's perfect. Before I go any further maybe a sample is in order:

Title track from the new EP in question. You can follow the link from there to the 3 songs from their s/t demo (highly highly recommended).

I'm completely smitten with everything about this group, from the lo-fi production to the sense of melody which carries a certain mischevious flavor that I'm addicted to. The vocalist is my favorite "new" singer I've heard in years. He has a warbling tone that seems to waver in and out with passion. Just a hint of whining like a young King in his prime...

If you like heavy metal made in Satan's name, please do yourself a favor and sample this. Order the tape if you like it. It's not expensive, and the singapore version comes with the original 3-track demo as the B-side which is killer. The whole packaging is surprisingly classy and nuanced.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:08 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
The Hungarian band Karst is continuing with their endeavour in the border regions of ther black metal scene. Those jazzy and folky elements are a nice countpoint to the harshness of their Darkthrone-influences stuff. Well ... this development is actually not much a surprise when someone has followed them over the releases. Nevertheless, the level on which they celebrate it still raises an eyebrow though.

This is pretty good stuff! Thanks fo the discovery, I'll listen to their debut album. Are you planning some reviews?

I've downloaded this Maat album solely because of the Egyptian theme, I'll also listen to this soon.

Jonpo, I've been expecting your Demon Bitch review for a while! Until they release a full length, Borrowed Time are still superior haha.

Heard Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole today, awesome album, very dark and atmospheric with vicious vocals and good riffs.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:31 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Jonpo, I've been expecting your Demon Bitch review for a while! Until they release a full length, Borrowed Time are still superior haha.

Heard Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole today, awesome album, very dark and atmospheric with vicious vocals and good riffs.

I can't wait for my copy of Emptiness to show up! I know they aren't going to sound like Formulas of Death but I'm hoping there will be a similar vibe, where they take a more traditional styled riff and just pervert and demonize it until it's something wholly different and nebulous. I LOVE that Tribulation album more than I could express, it's just so gosh dang long.

Man. I've toyed with the idea but I really hate my reviews. I'm not saying that for a pat on the back, they're just terrible. The most recent ones less so, but still pretty awful. I guess I've gotten picky from reading really quality reviewers but I feel like just describing the music is weak as fuck. If you don't have some kind of unique voice or something to say I feel like maybe you just shouldn't bother. I'm trying to spread the word on them steadily but I'm not surprised most people aren't interested. You're all missing out though god damn it!

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 pm 

Anyone heard the Yob album which is coming out in a couple of days? I'm curious to see how it compares with Atma which I thought was a slight step down for the band.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:42 am 

I'm loving the new Portrait album. Haven't seen anyone mention it but it's superbly written.

Batakanda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:40 am 

I don't know about you, but Witchaven's new album kicks some serious ass!

Their new release is pumped with riffs! Songs like Children, Blood Sacrifice, Monsanto Death Machine are showing their skills in a fucking godlike way!

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:33 am 

Hoth's Oathbreaker is absolutely amazing. Anyone who likes black and/or death metal should at least give it a try. It won't disappoint.

Old Graves' Like Straining Boughs is a really nice post-black EP. Every song is incredibly memorable. Search the guy up on Bandcamp.

Marrow of Earth's EP seems pretty good. I haven't given it a full listen yet, but I plan on it eventually.
In the light of Christ

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:11 am 

Batakanda wrote:
I don't know about you, but Witchaven's new album kicks some serious ass!

Their new release is pumped with riffs! Songs like Children, Blood Sacrifice, Monsanto Death Machine are showing their skills in a fucking godlike way!

Just checked out the title track 'Blood Sacrifice'. Pretty riffy alright. At first listen, I didn't like the guitar tone but it's growing on me. Good stuff there! :thumbsup:

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:05 pm 

Anyone interested in Noise Rock and Metalcore should check out IDYLLS- Prayer for Terrene

http://idylls.bandcamp.com/

It's really, really great. Heavy, atmospheric and noisey as fuck. Mixes some early Converge, some Pig Destroyer and some brainbombs and arab on radar. Top 10 for the year so far... and dat cover art...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next