Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:48 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I can't say the first The Raid did much for me, despite all the handjobbing people here seem to give it. Of course it doesn't help that I watched it in terrible fucking dubbed English. Did most people here see it subtitled? Not that that would really save it much, most of the drama bits seemed like they spoke the international language of suckballs. Yeah, some of the fighting was pretty badass, but still... not a particularly good film. I'd still watch the second one out of curiosity, though.

Saw Prisoners the other night. It was pretty well done, definitely one of the best thrillers/crime films I've seen in a while. The only things that bugged me were
Spoiler: show
the semi-weak portrayal of the killer's motivation and the fact that the girls were kept drugged up for days on end instead of just being killed...? Just sat oddly with me that they'd be put in a room and just hang out there long enough to get rescued.

I saw both and while the dubbed was goofy, it's easier to watch, since I wanted to watch all the action. My only problem with the second one, was that it was a little too long.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:02 am 

Thiestru wrote:
Exigence wrote:
Need help identifying a horror movie..,

Was it The Entity?

My guess too.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:49 am 

It was not The Entity, though I do enjoy that movie.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:09 pm 

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones is creepy and moody. I don't think it's as good as the only other one I saw, which is 2, but still has plenty of eerie darkness and silence.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:51 pm 

Her - 5/5

A stunning work of art that I wish I had seen sooner. Seriously one of the best put together, best written and best acted films in a while. I love the conceptual/speculative sci-fi angle of it - a near-future that pretty much follows the tech-obsessed lives we already lead today. This film talks about loneliness and love and relationships in a very human way, taking a sensitive and realistic topic and asking "what if?" with it, as any good sci fi film should do - in this case it takes our natural human problems of loneliness and abjection, adds the tech-obsessed, ever-moving culture we've created in the West, and asks a question: is it really all that crazy to fall in love with an artificial intelligence program? After all, if it's doing it for you, if it's making you happy and filling the void in you, what's the matter after all? Great visuals and beautiful, breathtaking lighting are the icing on the cake, and Spike Jonze outfits the whole movie with a very epic style and scope that makes it instantly memorable. Joaquin Phoenix gives maybe the performance of his life in this movie, and Scarlett Johansson emotes so much with just her voice that it's absolutely astounding. This is one you really can't miss; a great, meaningful film.

Jersey Boys - 2/5

Long past his best films like The Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby, Clint Eastwood puts out a fluff nostalgic film about '60s rock group The Four Seasons. It's well acted and the music is good, but there's no drama in this, nothing to really latch onto or care about. Everything is just a clean flatline of emotional retardation, and even when they do go for something weighty or serious, it's never expounded on and is just white-washed all to hell like they just didn't give a shit. They had a lot of opportunities to make this a real genuinely interesting film and took exactly none of them. The phoned in attempts at humor only make it worse. You will need to go watch Youtube videos of illegal dog-fights after seeing this film, just to feel anything at all again.

Piranha 3DD - 1.5/5

Amazing how you can fuck up something with as little merit or standards to it as the first Piranha 3D movie, which I actually found incredibly entertaining - but this is just awful crap that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Downright embarrassing.

Obvious Child - 4.5/5

A great comedy film about a young female comedian who decides to get an abortion. This really does a great job at talking about the issue in a frank, refreshingly funny and realistic way, and without really taking a side - the situation isn't put up on a soapbox, but rather just presented as a real life story. This was a delicate subject and they really pulled it off - it would have been incredibly easy for this to fall back on one-dimensional characters used as avatars for various straw-man arguments, or for it to be tasteless, but instead we get a very mature movie. Lead actress Jenny Slate hits a home run with this and puts out a dynamic, spotlight-stealing performance that will have you instantly hooked, and the snappy, funny writing will make you wish this was a half hour longer. Awesome flick; would see again.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:21 am 

Phew, I'm glad someone is finally jizzing over Her (phrasing?) as much as I was. Phenomenal movie.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:39 am 

I remember thinking it would be silly before I saw it. I think it was mostly because I thought it was going to be some guy in our current time falling love with a SIRI-esque program or something - so glad it wasn't.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:34 am 

Finally got around to seeing the Boondock Saints. It was great; over the top and ridiculous in all the right ways.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:04 am 

darkeningday wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jun/19/cult-films-bad-movies-classic-big-trouble-little-china

Great piece on cult films and why they almost invariably suck.

Ripping on Kurt Russell ? fuck that guy.

dystopia4 wrote:
Finally got around to seeing the Boondock Saints. It was great; over the top and ridiculous in all the right ways.

You should check out the documentary 'Overnight' about the guy who directed that film. Dude's a monster.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:55 am 

Expendables 3:
PG-13 for Violence including intense sustained gun battles and fight scenes, and for language
I hope it flops really bad.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:58 am 

The original Expendables movie is the only one deserving of the Restricted rating. There's no better proof than the opening sequence of Dolph Lundgren blowing up a pirates torso with buckshot stuffed in a grenade launcher. The second one was just a lot of computer-generated blood. I assumed the third one would be the same.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:24 am 

Are even the R-rated Expendables movies that great, though? Ever since I saw The Raid: Redemption, I talk about how it ruined most other action movies for me. I watched Expendables 2 just a couple months after The Raid 1, and I remember thinking "All those familiar names, and yet the movie with no actors I ever heard of was a lot better." I don't think I was all that impressed with the original Expendables either.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:12 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Are even the R-rated Expendables movies that great, though? Ever since I saw The Raid: Redemption, I talk about how it ruined most other action movies for me. I watched Expendables 2 just a couple months after The Raid 1, and I remember thinking "All those familiar names, and yet the movie with no actors I ever heard of was a lot better." I don't think I was all that impressed with the original Expendables either.

Eh not really. I watched parts of the second one on youtube, the beginning and airport scene, and theyre very tame, especially the airport. They argue that kids snuck into both movies, which I didnt see anyone under 20 when I saw them.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:01 pm 

The first Expendables wasn't very good and the second was flat out awful. No expectations for the 3rd. These movies spend money on cast so production value is diminished. It's like that with everything from Millennium Films. They shoot almost everything super cheap in Bulgaria. The stars getting big paychecks and the movie is rushed out the door. See also: anything attached to Emmett/Furla films. I have worked for both. Cheap, cheap, cheap. The Expendables 'franchise' is the most extreme example. And for some ungodly reason, they make money. I hope this one doesn't.

CGI blood in general sends me to the door. Terrible black blotches added in post production. Watch Expendables 2 and then watch Robo Cop. Which has the better effects?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:16 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:

Just watch Dredd 3D, Rambo IV, Punisher: War Zone, Safe and you'll be all set.

Taken is probably one of the best examples of PG-13 action. There's a lot of dudes getting shot and their noses shoved in, but it works because the action is sudden, intense and exciting to watch.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:34 pm 

I didn't like Dredd as much as many people here did, but I am a fan of the first Taken.

While we're on the subject of PG-13 action, I forgot to mention I saw the RoboCop remake. Predictably, it wasn't in the same league as the 1987 movie. But even on its own terms, it was pretty flawed. The middle section really dragged, the climax was weak, and the villains, well, you'll be wishing for the good old days of Dick Jones and Clarence Boddicker. The new one tried to be all politically relevant with discussions of freedom versus security, but I thought The Dark Knight did that better.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
ChineseDownhill wrote:

Just watch Dredd 3D, Rambo IV, Punisher: War Zone, Safe and you'll be all set.

Taken is probably one of the best examples of PG-13 action. There's a lot of dudes getting shot and their noses shoved in, but it works because the action is sudden, intense and exciting to watch.

Rambo 4 and Punisher Warzone are so badass, which is what Expendables should have been.

I almost tried the Robocop remake, but I generally hate remakes, with only liking just a handful. Hills Have Eyes probably being my favorite.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:49 pm 

Rambo 4 and especially Punisher: War Zone were fucking horrendous, dunno what magically fixed versions y'all saw. The Tom Jane Punisher was pretty bad too, but it was still aeons better than the reboot.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:06 pm 

Rambo 4 wasn't bad. It was basically just a 90-minute action sequence with very little plot, but it was entertaining action, so I didn't care. Most bad action movies falter in the setup and plot/character development, so Rambo 4 avoided that pitfall by barely having any.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:10 pm 

Punisher Warzone had more CGI gore and intense violence than the Thomas Jane one. So it was more PUNISHER! YEAH! Plus it didn't have Jon Travolta being insanely awful.
As for Rambo 4, it has a scene in which Rambo rips out a dude's adam's apple with his bare hands. Why do you hate things that are awesome, darkeningday?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:20 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Why do you hate things that are awesome, darkeningday?

Because film school told him to.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:37 pm 

Speaking of things that are awesome but also not so awesome I saw The Raid 2 yesterday. First up: that shit did not need to be two and a half hours. It just didn't. The story was the most standard, and poorly written, Asian crime movie ever. Every character was one note, the villain was awful, the main character was unlikeable, and the ending was gay as shit. That said, who expected anything else? What's important is the action itself and GOD DAMN. That was the shiznit. The car chase in that movie single handedly restored my faith in car chases after Die Hard 5 and a series of subsequent movies had the worst car chases ever. The hand to hand combat was EVEN BETTER than in the first one, and way more brutal. It seems everyone in Indonesia is really good at stabbing people multiple times very quickly. They had memorable boss characters with Hammer Girl and Baseball Bat guy too. But the main bad guy almost seemed like some kind of inside joke the makers of the movie had amongst themselves that I wasn't let in on. The movie certainly looks gorgeous and is very well shot. It inspires such a mess of conflicting emotions but I'd say the good outweighs the bad. But the bad is really bad. It has more extremes, while the first one was more consistenly good.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:47 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Why do you hate things that are awesome, darkeningday?

Because I don't like watching gnarly misshapen washed-up steriod-riddled wannabe writer/director/stars jack off in front of a camera for 90 minutes.

Just not my thing.

Agreed on Raid 2, though. Felt like one of those Van Damme straight-to-Redbox movies only with infinitely better fight scenes. For me, the worst parts of the film were those sappy, melodramatic "love" scenes where we learn our hero really and truly and totally-not-contrived-in-any-way cares for his wife and child, replete with a hilariously terrible synthesized glockenspiel soundtrack that wouldn't sound out of place in an episode of Desperate Housewives. It's really depressing there are people out there who actually liked the parts where cool shit is not happening.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:55 pm 

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/gone-gir ... st-trailer

So stoked. My favorite director and one of the best books I've read in recent years.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:55 pm 

It goes without saying that Andy Serkis is awesome! I honestly didn't know that he's behind Caesar's character in the Planet of the Apes movies. More so in the upcoming movie. Anyway, this was an interesting read for me.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/8/587702 ... gn-and-art

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:24 pm 

Of all the directors...David Fincher as a favourite? I mean I like the Game and Zodiac as much as the average person but that seems like a weird ass pick.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:30 pm 

I pretty much like everything he's done save for Panic Room - though I never saw that Alien sequel he did really early on. Se7en is one of my favorite movies, Zodiac is up there with the best crime films, The Game, Benjamin Button and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake are great and even Social Network is incredibly solid and enjoyable. Fight Club is a huge thing, which generated some backlash, but as a movie it's still really well done overall. Pretty much everything he puts out is quality.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm 

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo holds the distinction of being the only movie I've ever fallen asleep to while watching in theatres. So I guess that's something.
Also, Se7en (putting numbers in titles is one of my least favourite things) and Fight Club, while both decent movies, have been overrated and almost ruined for me. Which doesn't usually happen, but the intense hipster fellation of Fight Club is undeserved IMO.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:24 pm 

Alice in Wonderland holds that title for me. I missed a good 40 minutes of the movie by falling asleep and I have zero interest in going back to watch that missing period. This was 4 years ago.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm 

Edge of Tomorrow was super good, it's basically Groundhog Day with a sexier lead actor, a shitload of action and aliens. Recommended on the big screen. Both Cruise and Blunt are kickass.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:41 am 

I fell asleep for half of Sherlock Holmes when I saw it in theaters.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:49 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Rambo 4 and especially Punisher: War Zone were fucking horrendous, dunno what magically fixed versions y'all saw. The Tom Jane Punisher was pretty bad too, but it was still aeons better than the reboot.

They're ultra violent movies starring badasses. When people get shot in those, theres actually blood/holes/limbs blown off. Not guys just falling down with dust instead of blood, *ahem* Expendables 2. Not only was the action generic, but the jokes were awful kiddie shit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:55 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo holds the distinction of being the only movie I've ever fallen asleep to while watching in theatres. So I guess that's something.
Also, Se7en (putting numbers in titles is one of my least favourite things) and Fight Club, while both decent movies, have been overrated and almost ruined for me. Which doesn't usually happen, but the intense hipster fellation of Fight Club is undeserved IMO.

Fight Club...hipster? Really? It's a textbook bro movie, dude. I agree that Se7en and Fight Club are overrated, though. The problem with Se7en is that, despite its interesting premise and morbid execution (and a genuinely good twist at the end), it's just not a good cop movie. The cops are basically just there to witness this guy's elaborate crimes one-by-one until he turns himself in, the end. Compare that to Silence of the Lambs and Manhunter, where there's a lot of elaborate detective work involved, and even though the serial killers are intelligent and sneaky, the cops still serve a purpose. It feels like Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman essentially accomplish nothing in Se7en. Contrast that with Zodiac, where the cops (and Jake Gyllenhaal) don't necessarily accomplish anything tangible, but it feels a lot more like it, especially in the end.

Fight Club is just hampered by a really, really stupid twist, and a tendency to get overly-preachy. Otherwise it's cool, though it's hard to say how much is simply the book's fault. Also, I recently re-watched The Game, and while it was somewhat unbelievable, it was still pretty damn entertaining.

Haven't seen any of David Fincher's other films, so that's my two cents.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:54 pm 

Gonna watch Calvary sometime soon, looks really cool.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:06 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
The problem with Se7en is that, despite its interesting premise and morbid execution (and a genuinely good twist at the end), it's just not a good cop movie. The cops are basically just there to witness this guy's elaborate crimes one-by-one until he turns himself in, the end. Compare that to Silence of the Lambs and Manhunter, where there's a lot of elaborate detective work involved, and even though the serial killers are intelligent and sneaky, the cops still serve a purpose. It feels like Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman essentially accomplish nothing in Se7en.

I can kind of see what you mean, but it doesn't bother me. Mostly because Freeman and Pitt give such good performances and the characters are so well done that I get engrossed in that - it's more of a drama in a way for me than a straight up cop/detective one like Silence of the Lambs. I get more into Freeman's almost nihilistic weariness and Pitt's cocky attitude (which goeth before a fall) and the conversations they have, than I do into the mechanical aspects of the police investigation. Those two characters and a lot of the dialogue is just unforgettable to me.

And there is ENOUGH of the police stuff to tide me over, like their researching the seven sins and getting as far as they do to John Doe's apartment door, and what not. While I realize that isn't enough for you compared with other films, I guess it just doesn't bother me in the same way.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 pm 

Se7en along with Fight Club are indeed overrated. Still very good and enjoyable movies.

I haven't seen the Lego Movie until recently, I think it had a great sense of humor and genuinely funny characters. I could have done without the Will Ferrell part at the end though.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:28 pm 

Just watched Sabotage and really enjoyed it. This is how the Expendables movies should have been. This would give Chuck Norris a heart attack.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:20 pm 

See I wasn't impressed with "Sabotage". I enjoyed enough, but I thought it was really average for the most part. Not enough action, a lot of the characters weren't engaging, it just felt uninteresting. I did like the horrendous dialogue and gritty atmosphere/violence through. Modern action movies need to take a cue from that perspective.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:15 pm 

That Gone Girl trailer... my god. If I can't get the next two Dragon Tattoo movies, I'll settle for that. Also, I saw Sabotage and Beyond Outrage a few nights ago. Both of them were killer. Sabotage feels like it had a good twenty minutes of plot cut out, but whatever, there's blood and guts with my guns, so I'm good. Beyond Outrage, the sequel to Outrage. Need I say more?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:49 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
That Gone Girl trailer... my god. If I can't get the next two Dragon Tattoo movies, I'll settle for that. Also, I saw Sabotage and Beyond Outrage a few nights ago. Both of them were killer. Sabotage feels like it had a good twenty minutes of plot cut out, but whatever, there's blood and guts with my guns, so I'm good. Beyond Outrage, the sequel to Outrage. Need I say more?

I think its because they did some rewrites where originally
Spoiler: show
arnold killed them all
but it didnt get over well in screenings.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477 ... 818  Next