Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:33 am 

Got to test out the Dark Terror yesterday through the Mauler 2x12, and man that little fucker can bring the noise. At the 7w setting, shape set to noon, and with the gain rolled off somewhere between 1 and 2 o' clock, I get a tone that is preeeeeeeeettttttyyyy fucking close to the Master of Reality tone. Volume is still only at about 2...haven't had a chance to crank it yet as my neighbors were home, but I assume it just gets better from here. I should be getting that SG in on Monday, can't wait to try out the complete new setup.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:43 pm 

CRANK THAT SONOFABITCH UP!!!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:18 pm 

I've gotten some ideas for more barebones death metal songs to include on my album, might try to write some this weekend. Listening to a lot of Nunslaughter, Death Strike, Incantation, Immolation, things like that lately so it'll probably be along the lines of those bands along with all the other stuff I'm usually influenced by. Might do vocals if I feel like it this weekend as well and write/re-arrange some lyrics too. But it depends on how I feel. I might just end up drinking cider and listening to Onward to Golgotha on repeat.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:29 pm 

Asked Google about drum setup. I had to go back to check those autocomplete results.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:35 pm 

Clearly Google is trying to tell you what to do with your life, dude.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:48 pm 

Yeah but I already know I'm going to tap that. I'll bang the China Boy too.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:22 pm 

You better tap Dat Bass.

(drum)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:50 pm 

Bought a new head for the snare (Remo Controlled Sound) and while I was there I picked up a pair of the Ralph Hardimon signature sticks that SLK recommended. I am amazed by how much more natural these feel than the lighter sticks I had been playing with. Big, heavy sticks with big tips just feel right. I had been afraid of breaking stuff by hitting too hard, but it seems that with smaller (slightly larger than average) sticks, I wouldn't get much momentum, or I'd feel like I was swinging way too fast.

I finally have a complete drum kit! Except for a drum throne that goes high enough, and a single-braced throne certainly isn't made for the larger gentleman. Maybe I should just cut down a sizable tree and use a log.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:55 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I am amazed by how much more natural these feel than the lighter dicks I had been playing with. Big, heavy dicks with big tips just feel right. I had been afraid of breaking stuff by hitting too hard, but it seems that with smaller (slightly larger than average) dicks, I wouldn't get much momentum, or I'd feel like I was swinging way too fast.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:36 pm 

Sexy! That's cool that your kit is complete, what kind of drumming are you going to be playing? Just wondering. Would be cool to see a pic of them in the kit pic thread.

I started doing some session work for a band around Toronto, so I still haven't recorded drums for the split with SLK... I don't think SLK has recorded anything yet either, so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad :) Soon enough, though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:45 pm 

hahahahah batman.

You are welcome Zodi

themicrulah record that fucking death metal. so sweet.

Clogged... I haven't but I plan on starting right after I wrap up this black metal album for duder. I'm 3 deep I want to get around another 5 depending. I think this weekend I'll be able to.

OJTheViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:18 pm 

I've currently been writing some songs and lyrics, to basically have a usable archive ready for a future new band.

The cool thing is that I've already got an idea for a pretty kickass bandname (which, of course, I won't reveal at this point), and I've designed a very usable band logo, and with these new songs and lyrics in the making, I got plenty of "ammunition" for the future project.

No worries, though. By the time I find people to jam with, I'm not go on any kind of ego trip. It'll sort of be my own project, but I'll fully embrace input and ideas from the other members, and I'll consider them my equals. Guess I'm following Ronnie James Dio's work ethics; "every band needs to be a democracy led by a dictator". Meaning, all members have an equal right to present ideas, input, voice their opinions, etc., but when it all comes down to a final decision, one person needs to have the final word.

This new project will in spirit be a continuation of my previous band Strongwater, found here: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Strongwater/3540318303

However, I hope that my new band will have an even heavier edge, with even more elements of doom, thrash, groove, and maybe a dash of black/death metal. I'm Norwegian after all, so a touch of black metal in my music would only be appropriate.

Some of the songs I wrote alone for Strongwater can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/user/OJTheGamerViking/videos

My new band will have some similar elements, but as I said, it'll hopefully be even heavier.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:15 pm 

Sent my new guitar for a setup and brought it to rehearsal today. There is something about playing a perfectly intonated guitar for the first time after it's setup (done for free by my guitar tech at work), goddamn it is 300 times more powerful.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:31 pm 

Well good luck OJ.

And I know what you mean somefella, it's like after I had my bass done for the first time to A. It was glorious.

wrote recorded full ep for Kamikaze Pilots. it's relatively short at 15 songs. Not sure what the time length is yet. but I plan on mixing it all and releasing it today. Cause why not? plan to do some vocals for some other shit and some mixing on other shit.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:08 pm 

Got the drum stems for the Thy Ancient Crypt EP from the producer today, and now we're ready to start full on recording.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:07 pm 

Definitely have a song off to a good start. Onward to Golgotha and Mortal Throne of Nazarene have really been rubbing off on me.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:03 am 

The best of things to have rubbed off on you.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:38 am 

-Replacing my Egnater Vengeance with an Engl Powerball (V1)
-Wrote and recorded 3 different song ideas today--each at least one minute in length
-Playing the underground stage at the local SUMMER SLAUGHTER tour date on the 20th!
-Playing with fucking DEICIDE, SEPTICFLESH, MARDUK, and Carach Angren in October!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:35 pm 

Recorded myself humming riffs that may be used for Spawning Vats with my phone this weekend while I was outta town. Made random people sitting nearby feel very uncomfortable.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:20 pm 

Sent off the artwork for a tape Tridroid Records is putting out, it's a double EP of my thrash challenge songs and black metal challenge song. Kinda funny, the guy who owns Tridroid is also a Doom 2 (video game) fanatic and makes levels for it like I do (we post on the same Doom forum).

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Clogged... I haven't but I plan on starting right after I wrap up this black metal album for duder. I'm 3 deep I want to get around another 5 depending. I think this weekend I'll be able to.

Awesome, looking forward to hearing it! I assume you want to release it on CD right? Because that would be really cool (I can't really upload stuff to Kunaki at my place and the post office is far away, so that's the only reason I haven't used Kunaki yet).

Dragunov wrote:
Spawning Vats

Speaking of Doom the video game... :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:08 pm 

hahahaha Dragunov.

Clogged... yes that's my plan. To throw it out on Speed Ritual.

And Spawning Vats is indeed a direct refrence to DOOM.

Also this is what I did yesterday:
http://kamikazepilot.bandcamp.com/album/truth-revealed

written,recorded, mostly mixed all yesterday. finished mixing today and did the artwork about 20mins ago.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:09 pm 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
Dragunov wrote:
Spawning Vats

Speaking of Doom the video game... :)

Yep yep! The lyrics to the six songs we have in the works so far are loosely based on the early Doom games, and the imagery/atmosphere of those games are definitely a huge influence on me period. Probably won't stick too much to the Doom references outside of the band name, but who knows! I just want to write blown out, intense, distorted noise.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:14 pm 

Did a cover of a Borknagar song on bass.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:17 pm 

Finally got the full Halberd album uploaded to Bandcamp. It feels great to have worked on something actually professional and to get it up there.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:08 am 

And a second cover. This time is an Opeth song.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:10 pm 

Sounds good Kve.

And Necro it certainly does

A little something I recorded earlier this year the tapes are still in process of whatever but the whole split is up for streaming. I did Zombie Raider's side on vocals, guitars, and bass.
http://necrophonic.bandcamp.com/album/c ... split-tape

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:08 pm 

Playing my last show for a while tonight (then we are finally going to focus on the finishing up our third album).
Ceremonial Castings (CD Release Show)
Drawn and Quartered
Funeral Age

Really stoked to be playing this! We are good friends with both CC and D&Q but rarely ever get to play with them, so it'll be nice to meet back up and share the stage once again! \m/

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:34 pm 

Had a mega fun weekend doing a couple of shows down in England with the blackthrash band.

Friday night we were in Newcastle, headlining. The other bands playing were awesome (a new OSDM band called Fed to the Boars, and arty black metal lot Blind Spite), and then we played one of our best sets yet. Around 70 people came along in the end, and we sold a few shirts and patches, so that was a damn good night overall. We were in Manchester on Saturday, playing with Exxxekutioner (old-school thrash), Dismal (death/doom), Ninkharsag (old-school Norwegian style black metal), and Bast (sludge/black/doom) headlining. We played another really good set, to another pretty big turnout.

So now we're just working on future stuff - I've been working on mixing our EP (coming out August the first), and that's just about there. We recorded it live in our practice room, with just eight channels, and it's ended up sounding really good. Quite like early Aura Noir, although a bit less raw. So we're pretty excited about that coming out, and then we're opening for Inquisition next week, so that's going to be pretty sweet as well.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 pm 

Tonight I practiced drums with a metronome and realized how poor my timing is. Being way out of practice on guitar probably doesn't help, but it's so rough to be playing and having trouble keeping time for more than a few measures.

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
Playing my last show for a while tonight (then we are finally going to focus on the finishing up our third album).
Ceremonial Castings (CD Release Show)
Drawn and Quartered
Funeral Age

Really stoked to be playing this! We are good friends with both CC and D&Q but rarely ever get to play with them, so it'll be nice to meet back up and share the stage once again! \m/

That's a nice lineup!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:54 pm 

Love Drawn and Quartered. Very underrated band.

did vocals for the new yzordderrex album.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:28 pm 

Show went really good. Our bass amp died halfway through our first song, but we managed and our bassist grabbed his backup and we were still able to play our whole set despite having 10-15 minutes of downtime. D&Q's new line up was so rad! And this was probably the best I have ever seen CC at, and I've seen them a lot over the years.

Currently getting the footage from my drone/sludge band's first show onto my computer. We went by the name "sunn bro)))". More on that later :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:27 pm 

lol if you didn't have any Sunn up there to back up the name then shame on you.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:04 am 

Oh yeah Drawn and Quartered are fucking awesome, funny how no one ever mentions them.

Stepping into the 'studio' a week from now. Guitar's set up and playing like a dream, sounds killer through my current rig, and songs are all well-oiled and rehearsed.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm 

DON'T FUCK UP

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:44 pm 

NO, FUCK UP, IT'LL SOUND BETTER

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 pm 

I agree, fuck it up. Play with your feet. Be awesome.

TheBathroom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:19 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
DON'T FUCK UP

Dragunov wrote:
NO, FUCK UP, IT'LL SOUND BETTER

This reminds me of something; "If you mess up once, it's a mistake. If you make the same mistake again, it's jazz."

I'd take Dragunov's advice. Be avantgarde and shit.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:33 am 

Fuck it down, that's the best way. Anyone who says otherwise is an inferior plebeian.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:27 pm 

So, I will finally have a relatively complete drum kit in a few weeks, no china or splash cymbals but at least I will be able to get started off. Pretty happy about it since it's been a lot of waiting.

@themicrulah, wasn't your user name in all capital letters before? Is it lowercase now because you are feeling unwell? Please get well soon.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:45 pm 

LOL no actually HellBlazer offered to change it to lower-case for me. Thanks for the concern though man, make me a sandwich next time.

I'm making a song right now and arranging it. I've been working on it since last weekend.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 185  Next