Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
witchbitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:28 am 

Undertaker by Disemballerina

Extremely dark, black metal inspired classical music. I've loved everything this band has put out in the past and they have a split coming out with Loss. The new album streaming on bandcamp is haunting. You're welcome.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:40 am 

forestcorpse wrote:
Elffor - A Cold Funereal Breeze

In an Elffor mood these days, great atmospheric stuff. Suits the rainy/foggy weather outside.

Same here, which is not a surprise taking into accont that Elffor is a Basque band. Lovely rainy days in july. :D

Tristania-Angina

That amazing doom/gothic/symphonic gloriousness, it so difficult to find something similar nowadays. :(

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:08 am 

Caladan Brood - Wild Autumn Wind

It's epic while being epic, so the epicness is really... epic!

Paganbasque wrote:
Tristania-Angina

That amazing doom/gothic/symphonic gloriousness, it so difficult to find something similar nowadays. :(

Widow's Weeds is a classic! Yeah, I agree that 90s gothic metal is something special. Old Tristania, Theatre of Tragedy, Draconian, etc... they were heavy as hell, while still being 100% gothic.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:42 am 

The Norwegian triarchy (TOT,TSOTB and Tristania) is the true pinnacle of doom/gothic. Only Draconian has reached the same level and their last two albums are from from what I was expecting. Hopefully with the addition of the new singer they can do it again, but they need a keyboard player

Come one Scandinavians, tell us what the hell do you eat/drink/smoke to bring us some many great bands. :D

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:11 pm 

Ascension - 207 Torches

Some of the best BM I've ever heard. God damn. This short and mid-paced instrumental is so grimly evocative and haunting. Can't wait to hear more material from this band!!!

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:07 pm 

Vader - Black Sabbath

Like some of their other covers, it's a novelty. Not horrible, but his narration/spoken parts are not the most inspiring. Entertaining enough for a listen once in a while.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:12 pm 

NP: Idre - Witch Trial

Superb stuff I discovered today on the band queue, it's not metal though. It's some sort of post rock/ambient/drone with influences by Earth's country drone stuff, GY!BE! or Swans. They have vocals reminding me 16HP or Wovenhand at times. Anyway, recommended if you like that sort of stuff.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:40 pm 

Alestorm - Death Throes of the Terrorsquid

The Alestorm thread and my constant mentions of the song got me listening to it again, and I forgot just how great the song gets when it goes black metal.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:12 pm 

Spoiler: show
Perdition666 wrote:
I think massive orders are a bit stressful for multiple reasons - like, if it *does* get lost/stolen... Also in Canada, we do sometimes get charged duty. I've been lucky though - I've only been charged 3 times over the last 2 years, which isn't too bad. Most people in Europe get charged duty a lot, esp. via EMS shipments. The US I don't think gets charged. Duty is a two-fold problem for me: 1) well, the money (even though its not the end of the world) 2) Package-damage (the most important reason). Customs officials aren't terribly nice with packages and HMV's packaging for larger orders is good, but isn't really designed to withstand customs opening it. You see, they put the CDs on a piece of cardboard, wrap that up with heavy plastic wrap, then glue that to the bottom of the box. Customs has to open the box from the bottom, so that fucks everything up. The last one they opened up, they opened up the plastic wrapping around the CDs and one got lose and was stuck to the top of the box. Suffice to say, I'm still traumatized by that - thank fuck nothing came damaged.

This is also a problem for western Canadians only, but that new mail processing plant really sucks and they've had problems with packages getting stuck in conveyer belts and shit, having to move them with long sticks, etc. I've received a few boxes that came maimed (thank fuck the contents were fine).

I guess huge orders are also really good with coupon promotions. Getting a 50-100 dollar rebate coupon is pretty nice. My largest order (around $300) was done with a 30% rebate coupon. Coincidently, I finished my Onmyo-Za collection with that one - no duty either. Huge orders are pretty fun, but I do find CDs often get lost in the shuffle from that - whereas smaller orders I tend to focus on them more. No wait, that's kinda bullshit - I have tons of neglected CDs for whatever reason. But I do try to play everything 3 times before filing them. I kinda slacked off from my policy from last year of playing Japanese CDs 1 time per dollar spent :lol: ("If I'm gonna get financially crucified by these things, I'm gonna get my money's worth!").

Oh god, that sucks. I've never had any real problems with USPS other than that house mix-up thing. And yes, the US is duty-free which is a nice thing for me. It is true that huge orders make you more likely to skip over things. My personal rule is to try and listen to everything at least once properly behind my nice setup at home before I ever listen to it anywhere else.

Quote:
Man, that is kinda useless because regular CDs will outlive me anyway, and my Japanese CDs get ripped to FLAC and put into plastic sleeves anyway. I do kinda like Japanese papersleeves though, but I dunno if I can justify replacing a bunch of old CDs with those though. Its disturbing at how often classic bands get their back catalog reissued over there.

But think of your great-grandchildren! :lol: Yeah, I wouldn't waste my money either.

Quote:
It also looks like all members are going to contribute songs - no shock, considering how many songs there are :lol: Matatabi wrote the last 2 albums completely.

Didn't know that. Kongo Kyuubi does have a lot of variety on it. Wouldn't guess that it's all from the same guy.

Quote:
Since they're signed, I'm kinda hoping for a rapid succession of albums. They do have 2 demo mini-albums (before "Dream") with terrible mastering and man I'd love to see every song on those properly re-recorded ("Passion") is from one of those.

Passion is pretty mindblowing piece of work. Everybody solos really tastefully and extremely well. Might be my favourite track on that one.

Quote:
Those are with their first vocalist and are pretty damn good ("Determination" being my favorite,, at the moment). As mentioned many times, I'm quite happy with their latest album. Strangely enough, it seems to be their worst charting album.

I'm playing that Around the Nation album now and it seems ok. It isn't blowing me away as much as I'd like, but maybe it'll grow on me. Production could be better. At least I'm equipped now to tell apart the 2 vocalist in Art of Gradation. Not sure if I'd call this metal. Not sure what I'd call it honestly. Hrmm... J-Rock! :lol:

Yeah, I've been wanting to pick up that Around the Nation album pretty soon. On my next order I suppose. Well, Ibuki is slightly lower pitched, so I can get that much. :lol:

Quote:
[edit]It looks like Alhambra's drummer left and got replaced by Mahatma's drummer (apparently Mahatma will remain active). The good news is, it looks like Alhambra is recording. I'm baffled how Yuhki is pulling this off while recording that new Galneryus and Hibiki is also recording the new Light Bringer and Merdelas. Goddamn workaholics! :P

Damn, I need to try and get the rest of Alhambra's stuff one of these days. Well, I guess these guys have to make a living somehow although I don't really think they get much back on the record deals. Maybe things work differently over there.

Light Bringer – Upstream Children <Accelerated ver.>

Man, this version makes an already great song a whole lot better. Really loving it.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:26 am 

Aeternam - Rise of Arabia, off Moongod

Aaaaaaaah, this band. How I missed them and their melody infused, Arabic death metal.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:38 pm 

Withered - Folie Circulaire

One of my favourite bands and they have yet to put out a weak album imo. That's a remarkable feat when you take into account the fact that they combine Death, Black, Doom etc

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:42 pm 

Sons of Crom - Myrkrarfar

This some pretty good Viking era Bathory worship. Only two songs on this EP but pretty good epic metal.

Like your reviews?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:59 pm 

Pest (Sweden) - Holocaust

Crunchy black-n'-roll, or something of that sort. The Crowning Horror album is a bit hit and miss with me, but tonight I'm enjoying it a lot; there are some devilish moments throughout, and this track stands out well.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:30 pm 

NP: Goatwhore [Constricting Rage of the Merciless, 2014] - 2/10. Unravelling Paradise (02:07/03:24) {323 kbp/s}
Solid stuff. Much like any of their other works.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:07 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
Withered - Folie Circulaire

One of my favourite bands and they have yet to put out a weak album imo. That's a remarkable feat when you take into account the fact that they combine Death, Black, Doom etc

That album fucking kills. Dunno about your praise though, I was bored out of my mind with Dualitas.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm 

Hell - I

My personal favorite is III, but I had forgotten how good this is. The vocals are unreal.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:01 pm 

Fight - Into the Pit

Absolutely love this band. It's somewhat criminal how overlooked War of Words is in the grand metal scheme.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:50 pm 

Bongripper - Miserable
At the end of the first track I am not too excited for the rest. I only know Hail Satan Worship Doom, so this is interesting and quite a bit different. Much more down and out like the title suggests, with even slower tempos and less groove.

Second track kicked in while writing this and its off to a good start.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:06 am 

Inquisition - Enshrouded By Cryptic Temples of the Cult

I think it's absolutely essential to at least turn Inquisition up to near-anti-social volume to enjoy it properly.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:34 am 

delain - virtue and vice

still fun listen!

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 pm 

Obituary - Turned Inside Out.

Cool stuff, but can't help noticing the heaviness of the production lessening on "Find The Arise" and everything after that... :ugh:

Anyone else hearing the same?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:00 pm 

Spoiler: show
Dudemanguy wrote:
Oh god, that sucks. I've never had any real problems with USPS other than that house mix-up thing. And yes, the US is duty-free which is a nice thing for me. It is true that huge orders make you more likely to skip over things. My personal rule is to try and listen to everything at least once properly behind my nice setup at home before I ever listen to it anywhere else.

I've been fortunate to have only got stung 3 times over the last 2 years. I can see duty being a serious disincentive for Europeans. If I got stung duty on every order, I probably would be ordering from Europe more :lol: I guess places like SA Music, Rockstakk, Disk Heaven, etc are more able to get past customs - plus they ship via air mail, as opposed to EMS. Not sure why my 6 CD orders via EMS from HMV Japan never get charged duty, so I think I'll just keep doing those - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have a bunch of stuff coming probably early next week. I have some stuff from a shopping service run including more Iron Attack and that LionDigitaLiz and I have an HMV Japan order consisting of that No Limited Spiral (melodeath), Asura (power metal/J-pop), Ghost Harlem (J-Rock?), and Aphasia (one of the older all-girl hm/hr bands over there).

Not sure what genre Ghost Harlem falls under, but I liked the PV enough to order both of their CDs:

Quote:
Quote:
It also looks like all members are going to contribute songs - no shock, considering how many songs there are :lol: Matatabi wrote the last 2 albums completely.

Didn't know that. Kongo Kyuubi does have a lot of variety on it. Wouldn't guess that it's all from the same guy.

I wouldn't mind seeing their guitarists contribute more - seems weird having a metal band where the guitarists don't write much. Kuroneko penned some of the ballads, plus a couple of their more power metal-ish songs.

Quote:
Quote:
Since they're signed, I'm kinda hoping for a rapid succession of albums. They do have 2 demo mini-albums (before "Dream") with terrible mastering and man I'd love to see every song on those properly re-recorded ("Passion") is from one of those.

Passion is pretty mindblowing piece of work. Everybody solos really tastefully and extremely well. Might be my favourite track on that one.

Did you ever go back and watch that live of that I sent you? :P It has a pretty wicked drum solo on it. Prog rarely, if ever, has that level of energy - its almost bizarre.

Quote:
Yeah, I've been wanting to pick up that Around the Nation album pretty soon. On my next order I suppose. Well, Ibuki is slightly lower pitched, so I can get that much. :lol:

Its grown on me a bit, but I've only played it 3 times. There's definitely some Light Bringer elements at play here. Ibuki wrote all the music and lyrics. I think Michiru's vocals are more cute/girly. Ibuki can wail ok. When she was Destrose's support vocalist after Marina left, I didn't think she had to voice to cover her songs, but after listening to Around the Nation, they actually have similar voices (Marina is more shrieky though).

Quote:
Quote:
[edit]It looks like Alhambra's drummer left and got replaced by Mahatma's drummer (apparently Mahatma will remain active). The good news is, it looks like Alhambra is recording. I'm baffled how Yuhki is pulling this off while recording that new Galneryus and Hibiki is also recording the new Light Bringer and Mardelas. Goddamn workaholics! :P

Damn, I need to try and get the rest of Alhambra's stuff one of these days. Well, I guess these guys have to make a living somehow although I don't really think they get much back on the record deals. Maybe things work differently over there.

I wouldn't mind getting Fadista (even at a semi-high price), but god ordering digipaks is always a bigtime source of stress. Imagine spending $100+ and having it come damaged. Ughh....

Oh, Bridear posted a live clip - they're pretty solid live:

I'm hoping/expecting them to release something later this year.

Terror Squad - Chaosdragon Rising

I've been pretty addicted to this album lately.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:59 am 

Ceremonial Castings - Witches' Dance

The only rip on Youtube of this song is in absolutely horrendous quality, but there are some cool parts to this cover, mainly the low voice Witcher uses for the slow section.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:57 am 

Falkenbach - Wulfarweijd

Still not sure what language this is, but weijd sounds like veið, which is hunt in Icelandic... anyway, a pretty harmless black metal track with a catchy riff :)

Paganbasque wrote:
The Norwegian triarchy (TOT,TSOTB and Tristania) is the true pinnacle of doom/gothic. Only Draconian has reached the same level and their last two albums are from from what I was expecting. Hopefully with the addition of the new singer they can do it again, but they need a keyboard player

Come one Scandinavians, tell us what the hell do you eat/drink/smoke to bring us some many great bands. :D

+1 for mentioning TSoTB :beer:

Regarding Draconian, I think the first album (and the demos) were excellent gothic/doom, but with Arcane Rain Fell they just made magic, which sadly they have never achieved again.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:30 am 

Binah - A Torpid Blight Of The Spirit

Hurry the fuck up and release another full length already!! This will do for now, but I fuckin' want more dammit. Cavernous, crushing and morbid in a gloriously enthralling way.

My collection

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 am 

Ipsissimus - "The First Secret of Fatima"

Crushing black metal. Hope these guys put out another album in the near future!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm 

Assück - Suffering Quota

Recognizing the Peter Singer quote at the beginning of the song without looking it up totally makes attending uni for 3 years worth it. Singer's wrong though.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Darth Bathory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:14 pm 

Candlemass - Solitude

The perfect doom song - it doesn't slavishly revel in Sabbath-worship, it moves at more than a snail's pace while still retaining a mind-bending heaviness, possesses atmosphere through the instruments and the vocals having room to breathe - it still sounds as good today as it did on release.

And it makes a great one-two punch with My Dying Bride's "Two Winters Only". Go on, try it - you know you want to.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:07 pm 

Janvs - Fvlgvres

This is one of those albums I always come back to, without ever getting bored of it. They do know how to write catchy music.
Nice Italian Black Metal

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am 

Cannibal Corpse - Scourge of Iron

A strong contender for the heaviest song in the entire fucking universe.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:28 am 

^ :thumbsup:

Satanic Warmaster - Strength & Honour

Just finishing it up, quite a gratifying listen.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:24 am 

Antichrist - Minotaur
Black magic - Voodoo curse

Holy shit, back to back this is just riff after riff of timeless heavy metal magic.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:49 am 

raumr wrote:
+1 for mentioning TSoTB :beer:

Regarding Draconian, I think the first album (and the demos) were excellent gothic/doom, but with Arcane Rain Fell they just made magic, which sadly they have never achieved again.

:beer:

Liv Kristine has always been my goodness but TSoTB´s first album is, in my opinion, the best doom-gothic album ever released, those violins were just magic.

I agree, and I would like to add Burning Halo´s 3 new songs, I think they were absolutely fantastic, the perfect balance between the most doom oriented songs of ARF and the slightly more gothic debut. I remember that a friend of mine and me were very excited about the next album, but sadly it was huge disappointment. I think everything started to deteriorate when the keyboardist left the band.

Another rainy day in the beautiful Basque summer . :D

Evilfeast-Morbid rejoice

The perfect soundtrack for those days.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:03 am 

Subrick wrote:
Cannibal Corpse - Scourge of Iron

A strong contender for the heaviest song in the entire fucking universe.

True that, awesome song!

Mekong Delta - Purification :headbang:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 am 

Bal-Sagoth - Invocations Beyond the Outer World Night

Instantly memorable, unique in its scope and style and with killer riffs and vocals - the deep-throated narrations and raspy howls are played off one another expertly. This is strange but near-flawless metal composition.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:01 am 

Bolzer- Soma EP

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:12 am 

Execration - Unction

Odes of the Occult is a great album! It has the great old-school organic production coupled with the music which is a mix of old school and just modern developments on the old school black/death sound. Very good!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:34 pm 

Nagelfar - "Seelenland "

New to the band. So far from what I've heard, very good black metal.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:38 pm 

Carnivore - Armageddon

KILL EACH OTHER!!!

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:42 pm 

Arckanum - Þæn Vredhgadi Svarti Loghin

This band is killer, lots of atmosphere.
Love to stand and watch over the forest while playing this.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1466, 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470, 1471, 1472 ... 2923  Next