Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:31 pm 

Something I have only just noticed today that used to not occur is the similar artists tab not functioning properly. Whenever I click "Show tob 20 only" or "see more" it sends me back to the discography section and I have to click the similar artists tab again, though the change is made to the section. It used to just stay in the similar artists tab when I did this. I am using the latest version of google chrome.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:45 pm 

Yep, same here.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:25 pm 

I found some other weird thing going on with the similar artists function: When you click the edit button to check the votes, and then the percentage number, it opens a window, that shows which users voted in favour or against. It should open a new window on top of the previous one, but the window stays in the foreground, kinda like hidden.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:45 pm 

when selecting what instrument/function a certain individual performed in the recording of a release, I usually type just the first letter, and, while previously I'd get 4-5 choices max for every initial letter, the "new" drop down menu is sometimes longer than my screen. "R" for recording, for.ex.

I will readily admit that I'm lazy, but unless there's an added function to the new menu that I haven't realised, could we please return to the old? :)

(thanks)

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:42 am 

aloof wrote:
when selecting what instrument/function a certain individual performed in the recording of a release, I usually type just the first letter, and, while previously I'd get 4-5 choices max for every initial letter, the "new" drop down menu is sometimes longer than my screen. "R" for recording, for.ex.

I will readily admit that I'm lazy, but unless there's an added function to the new menu that I haven't realised, could we please return to the old? :)

(thanks)

Agreed, I feel the older one is faster and more accurate to edit pages. And a little frequently-used instrument is still missing: synthesizer.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:51 am 

Agreed, I hate to be one of those people going all BRINGBACKTHEOLDONE, but the previous auto-complete was way smoother. It seems a big buggy too, ex. after adding an artist, it doesn't show up when editing their role. I've already posted about this in our HQ forum.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:58 pm 

[problem solved]

Last edited by aloof on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:41 pm 

[ditto]

Last edited by aloof on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:53 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ri ... aja/411444

Album art gives a 404 error?! :scratch:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:04 pm 

androdion wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Rippikoulu/Ulvaja/411444

Album art gives a 404 error?! :scratch:

Same thing is going on here.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:21 pm 

With the new updates allowing multiple versions of an album to be differentiated, we should probably change the collection tab in our profiles to show "Catalog #" instead of "version."

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:42 pm 

Um... why?

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:56 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Os ... abs_albums

quite complete and looks fine, but seeing as there are some gaps in between

OP001
OP002
Frostmoon Tordenkrig EP 1998 OP003 Vinyl 7" on white wax
Centinex Shadowland EP 1998 OP004 Vinyl 7" Purple vinyl
Hellstorm Murder Single 1998 OP005 Vinyl 7", grey vinyl
The Second Moon The Second Moon Full-length 1998 OP006 CD
OP007
Centinex Bloodhunt EP 1999 OP008-2 Vinyl Limited Edition 10" Picture Disc
Devilry Unleashed to Haunt Demo 1999 OP009 Cassette
Ork / Frostmoon Frostmoon / Ork Split 1999 OP010-2/1 Vinyl 7"
Horna Perimä Vihassa Ja Verikostossa EP 1999 OP011 Vinyl 10", Picture Disc, comes with an additional poster.

It would be nice to be able to add something like text-only entries. Like it is already possible with the additional bands that some musicians are involved with, but which will or might never make it into the MA-database.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:32 am 

^The ability to fill in catalogs with text-only entries would be great, but somehow that seems like it'd backfire when you get into some of the bigger labels like Mercury or Warner Bros. with predominantly non-metal acts. Just dozens and dozens of non-MA text entries for genres other than metal.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:38 am 

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Dummy entries for unlisted bands on metal artist pages are still noteworthy (also since an unlisted band is not always non-metal), while filling out label rosters with all kinds of non-metal releases and bands is overkill and not really within the scope of this site. Label pages are there to show the metal output of the respective label. Use the additional notes if you must, for small gaps, but don't go crazy with, say, a punk label that has one thrash record released and 50 punk ones.

dantes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:20 am 

One thing about the format of the releases: It would be good to discriminate between CD and CDR IMO.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:31 am 

That's the sort of detail the version description field is for.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:08 pm 

Someone has editted or added releases for Satanath Records in the following way:
Quote:
Released on CDr, limited to 300 copies.
Edition not limited.

That is schizophrenic.

example:
Link.
And every time CDr and Other Version ... :nono:

########################
question:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sl ... ape/420600
two versions or one?
Tape + CD (optional)
Tape

My podcast:

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:30 pm 

I have noticed that when I added another version of an album and added a vinyl version, when I go to correct the right "Side A" and "Side B" track lists the tracks I add to "Side B" go under "Side A".

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/De ... ath/424891

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:30 am 

Each time I try to add information to a certain album I get an error which says that I need to specify the format for each added component, even if the format has already been spacified. My rank's only metalhead, I can do nothing about it and can't contribute to the site the way I want. Why?
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:06 am 

I have just submitted a review and reveiced a server error warning. The reviews appears on the site though.

My podcast:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:42 am 

Is there anything the admins can do to make sure that right-to-left scripts such as Hebrew and Arabic orient themselves to the right? Seeing things like the lyrics to the second track on this album makes me sad.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:32 am 

Anyone else having this problem? Occasionally, when I try to drag pop-up windows around (such as the one for adding artists to lineups), the window gets pushed down the screen.

The most recent occurance was on Fistula's page, but I doubt it's really anything specific to certain pages? Here's a zoomed-out screenshot to show what I mean. I try to adjust the pop-up's position and it gets moved down again and again (approx. 1.5x its own height each time):
Spoiler: show

Using the newest Google Chrome. It works fine with Firefox (for that page, at least).

EDIT: It might be worth mentioning that I had never had this bug until the new album versions feature was implemented.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:37 am 

I could reproduce this, but only by really going out of my way, i.e. by dragging the window down and down again to trigger the scrollbar on the page, and then after dragging it down a lot it started acting wonky. But by just dragging it around the page normally, it doesn't happen.

Are you intentionally trying to break the page? :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:42 am 

No, as I said, I'm trying to "get a hold" of the pop-up, but each time I try to move it, it slips further down. In the screenshot, the window down in the abyssal depths is the symptom, not the cause. I started out normal. Didn't really know how to showcase it without making a video. :P

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:30 pm 

Well, I can't reproduce this then...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:48 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Um... why?

Because Catalog #'s will replace the need to manually fill in version notes, since most versions will differ based on the proper catalog number. Additionally, any changes to specific versions will automatically update for those that have specified they own a specific release. Ultimately, it will be more accurate as the catalog #'s are filled in across the archives. Additional version notes can be put in the manual entry field for comments if users decide to.

What's the point in having different versions if those different versions don't show up in collections?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:22 am 

You can already select specific versions for your collection. The notes field is now for additional comments and description.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:43 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/In ... ing/275334

There is no display of the releases later or prior to this one; in regard to Invisvm. This would be the sole release for Luciferi Glorium.

My podcast:

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:56 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
You can already select specific versions for your collection. The notes field is now for additional comments and description.

Why not just set that as catalog numbers though? That way you don't have to select anything and it will automatically link to specific version pages? In my opinion, the selection method can be super time consuming.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:08 pm 

I track my collection through the function - I can't understand why I would want to see the catalog number. if I'm going to my collection I immediately want to see the format, the release year, the label etc. Catalog number isn't going to mean anything to me when I'm trying to locate what I already have unless I have the product in my hand - and if I did, what would the point of me going there be? I understand the value of catalog number on the album pages but I don't really get it in the collection queue (unless it's displayed WITH everything else, which would be overkill).

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:15 pm 

Say you have two copies of a release in your collection, both are CDs from the same label, but one is a rerelease with a different catalog number?

Maybe make the collection page customizable, you can edit if you want version or catalog number or whatever to show... similar to how you can set the default tabs you want to show on album pages? I would much rather see catalog number, as I usually can determine label by serial number..

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:25 pm 

"super time consuming"? :scratch: You click on the dropdown menu, you select the version and you save the page. How would that be any quicker with catalog numbers?

Mostly what TUA said. Catalog numbers aren't very descriptive for the collections page. Many releases don't even have them.

The collection page is already sort of customizable. If there is a need to disambiguate, you can use the comment field. Add the numbers there for two identical seeming versions of the same album, if you want. That being said, ideally they should already have been distinguished using the version description field on the release page (the second one with "reissue", for example).

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:33 pm 

Catalog numbers would show up automatically... without having to select anything...

Anyway, it would be nice if you could choose what information you want to show up for the releases.. such as format or catalog or whatever. Just my opinion.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:14 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Catalog numbers would show up automatically... without having to select anything...

So... the system would just magically know which version is in your collection?

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:18 am 

No.... it depends which version you select from the versions available on the album pages... I don't see a reason why, if your version doesn't show up, you wouldn't add it...

If anything, it might actually inspire people to fill out and add the additional versions that are out there.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:44 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
No.... it depends which version you select from the versions available on the album pages... I don't see a reason why, if your version doesn't show up, you wouldn't add it...

If anything, it might actually inspire people to fill out and add the additional versions that are out there.

Just so you know, you're not wording yourself very clearly. I had to read over this exchange three times before I understood what you were trying to suggest... :???:

You're probably talking about the items in your collection that are listed as "unspecified" and have to be filled in manually, right? Those are leftovers from before the detailed album versions system was integrated. Now that this album versions system is in place, the only way you can add an album to your collection/wanted list and have it default to "unspecified" is if you add the album to your collection/wanted list from the main band page. If you go to a specific album entry and add that to your collection/wanted list, MA will automatically add that specific version to your collection. Do you get it now?

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:24 am 

Got it! Yeah, probably wasn't wording myself correctly.

I'd still like to see catalog numbers as maybe a user option but whatever... that's what I have my own spreadsheets for I guess.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:23 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
You're probably talking about the items in your collection that are listed as "unspecified" and have to be filled in manually, right? Those are leftovers from before the detailed album versions system was integrated. Now that this album versions system is in place, the only way you can add an album to your collection/wanted list and have it default to "unspecified" is if you add the album to your collection/wanted list from the main band page. If you go to a specific album entry and add that to your collection/wanted list, MA will automatically add that specific version to your collection. Do you get it now?

Durrrrr :durr: I kinda forgot about that, actually. Yeah, it's even more straightforward for adding new stuff to your collection, it's impossible not to add a specific version (unless you're adding an as-of-yet unspecified album, but those will obviously all disappear eventually). So yeah, really obvious stuff.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 pm 

Is this a cache issue or a more serious bug? http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vinterland/1403

Vinterland's album had 13 reviews. Three were nuked for being sucky. The original entry now displays ten reviews, but the reissue with a different name still says that there are 13 (albeit, only 10 are visible).

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 65  Next