Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 am 

Reverend Bizarre - Funeral Summer

I like how they drag forever in this slow and heavy shit, and then come up with some catchy fast riff. It's the formula they use quite often. And it works!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:35 pm 

Visigoth - Creature of Desire

OK, yeah, this is pretty fuckin cool. Vocals are maybe a bit too omnipresent especially with the layers, but the singer is pretty awesome and the riffs are fairly killer. Promising stuff.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:49 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Visigoth - Creature of Desire

OK, yeah, this is pretty fuckin cool. Vocals are maybe a bit too omnipresent especially with the layers, but the singer is pretty awesome and the riffs are fairly killer. Promising stuff.

The vocalist also has an epic/folk black metal band that's also pretty good. Those vocal layers kinda remind me of Iron Savior a bit. I'm anxiously awaiting a full length from these guys.

Like your reviews?

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:50 pm 

Question - Doomed Passages

Very good old school Death Metal from Mexico

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:43 pm 

Enthauptung - "Primal Truth" from A Forming Void

Another Bandcamp gem that I've come across recently

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:00 pm 

Spoiler: show
Dudemanguy wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
Yeah, and that one probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon (being on Spiritual Beast and all).

Well, I have it currently slated for my order next month, so only about a week after it is released. I think I'm going to switch to one big order (12-18 CDs) instead. You spend quite a bit less on shipping that way.

There's definitely a savings with larger orders. I find 6 is the sweet-spot for me, but I think 12 CDs is like 3200 yen or something. Where you get fucked is 1-2 CDs (esp. 1). I'm doing some shopping service runs atm as well. I'm going after the 1st Manipulated Slaves CD and I think I'm gonna go for the first Terror Squad and all 3 Fatima Hill albums. Fatima Hill I heard ages ago, but couldn't get past the vocals. Those vox are weaksauce compared to some of the shit I listen to now though :lol:

Quote:
Quote:
They'll probably be 3000 yen each. This is Japan we're taking about here :lol: VAP used to have those Galneryus CDs at full price for the longest time. Its only recently where they're available for multibuy discount at HMV Japan.

It looks like one of the Onmyo-Za CDs has a wind theme and the other one a thunder/lightning one.

Man, Jupiter's CD was only in the stupid SMH-CD format, so I had to pay even more for that one. Everything on Universal Japan costs so much. These guys are wringing me dry.

Do SHM-CDs actually provide any benefit, or is it just another cash-grab? I guess with all these fancy formats, they're only as good as the master.

Quote:
Quote:
Those themes sound really cool though. Not sure exactly how that translate sonically though. I guess thunder one would be heavier and the wind one would be lighter.

There's a song on one of them called Kamikaze - they ripped Tengusakura off :P Man, this fall can't come soon enough.

Quote:
I'm uploading those singles as we speak and will PM you the link later. There's like only one exclusive song on each though, but they're worth hearing.

I may've misinterpreted a blog post - their guitarist may not be leaving (thank fuck). That's the hazard of google trnslate coupled with paranoia :lol:

Oh thank god. It's way too soon to just break up right after the debut. They need more material.

Indeed, esp. since they toiled in the underground for like a decade. It almost looks like they have a full-time bassist now, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Quote:
Metal (most variants) and pop/rock here. Anything gothy I'd probably give a shot too, esp. if it has female vocals. J-prog I wouldn't mind getting more into too. Hell, I've recently started to acquire a taste for oddball Japanese thrash metal. Terror Squad seems to be pretty rad and I already own 5 Manipulated Slaves Cds.

Well Gargoyle are the kings of strange Japanese thrash metal. :lol: Those guys sound interesting though, I'll check them out.

Manipulated Slaves is a strange mix of melodeath, thrash, 80s heavy metal, and 90s gothic/doom metal. One minute it'll be blast-beat driven insanity, then there will be violins and female vocals, etc. I can see this being really jarring to those not into this style. I dig it just fine though. I think their latest may be their best one.

Volcano is one I probably should check out sometime.

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, the imagery seems to be an extension of the actual music. Like, I'd still like Aldious as much if they had no visual component.

Sometimes I wonder what some of these guys are trying to convey. Some of them seem just random.

And it doesn't help the lyrics being in Japanese, so I have no clue what's going on. So I guess I'm left to my own devices, and this weird, fucked-up imagery :lol:

Quote:
Quote:
I need to go back and give that a go while only focusing on bass. For some reason with some albums, I'll really notice the bass, but other days I won't. Weird haha

It's the same for me. It randomly appears and disappears for me. I'm not sure why; I guess the music is just that busy.

I guess if I'm actively paying attention (for whatever reason) it becomes more noticeable, but sometimes its impossible to ignore. Like that last Aldious has pretty blatant basswork. Not sure why I didn't notice it on "Dominator" before, its like a bulldozer. Unless the album version has a different mix than the single one. Here's the live version of that one:

Pretty cool slap-bass solo on it.

Quote:
Quote:
It almost looks like Albion recorded a new song. Maybe we can expect a single from them soon?

Man, that's pretty fast. Well, as long as it sounds good.

I have no doubt in my mind it'll be good. These bands never stop, ever. :lol:

Terror Squad "Chaosdragon Rising"

Man, this album is fucking nuts!

LeonardoS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:20 pm 

Morbid Angel - Enshrined by Grace

Not a masterpiece, but very very nice!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:03 pm 

LeonardoS wrote:
Morbid Angel - Enshrined by Grace

Not a masterpiece, but very very nice!

Yeah, I really do fucking love that song.

Wizard - Taste of Fear

I am not totally sold on all of these guys' stuff, but this album is pretty damn good. Great choruses!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:14 pm 

Kara no Kyoukai 1 OST - M12+13

Despite the fact these films have the most ass-backwards soundtrack titling scheme, this track is goddamn gorgeous and intense.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:58 pm 

Chaos Moon - Altar

This is actually some really nicely done USBM. I wasn't really in a black metal mood but just putting this on brought the temperature of my house down about 20 degrees. lol Seriously though, this new album, Resurrection Extract, is really good.

Like your reviews?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:12 am 

Ifing - Realms Forged

Absofuckinglutely stunning. Some true grandiose, powerful, and beautiful black metal with a heavy pagan twist. The big, clean vocal sections are spine tingling, mix that with acoustic guitar passages and thick, storm cloud-like chord work and immerse yourself in the atmosphere. Stirring stuff.

My collection

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:09 am 

Wolves in the Throne Room-Two Hunters

One of my favourite albums, what a masterpiece of atmospheric black metal, absolutelly perfect album.

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:41 am 

Edge of Sanity - Crimson

Definitely my favorite 40 minute song. I really dug Purgatory Afterglow so I figured I'd give it a listen. Dan Swanö is a musical genius.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:35 am 

Steel Prophet - Church of Mind

Really good album, this. They don't have the aggression or complexity of Dark Hallucinations, but they do have strong, nimble guitarwork, layered melodies and a real sense for catchy songs. An addictive experience.

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 am 

Carach Angren - "The Funerary Dirge of a Violinist"

I really like this a lot. I keep telling myself to pick up their other albums but I never do.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:30 am 

Divine Eve - The Last of the Sunset Faded

I still need to pick up this compilation album some day. In-your-face death metal with plenty of groove and lots of hammering riffs thrown in. Awesome stuff. :headbang:

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:45 pm 

Elffor - A Cold Funereal Breeze

In an Elffor mood these days, great atmospheric stuff. Suits the rainy/foggy weather outside.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:41 pm 

:np: Grave Digger- Valhalla

What's to say? Classic power/heavy metal. Sits boldly at the big boys' table—no posers allowed!

Obligatory Last FM Link

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:43 pm 

Wolves in the Throne Room- Celestite

It leaked. Uh, what the hell did I just listen to? 40 minutes of New Age spacey, swooshing, tinkly keys. And horns ( the brass kind, not the devil/goat kinds). I guess there's some guitar in there somewhere, but there ain't no riffs...the whole thing sounds like a long ass Wintersun intro song.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:36 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
:np: Grave Digger- Valhalla

What's to say? Classic power/heavy metal. Sits boldly at the big boys' table—no posers allowed!

ImageOver the mountains, the sun rises up...Image

I still like Giants best though, that riff is beyond massive!

I'm giving the new Arch Enemy a shot, and it has no atmosphere! Shockingly un-catchy as well.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:55 pm 

Tank - Filth Hounds of Hades

NP: Turn Your Head Around

This is my first time listening to this album because it took me a really long time to find it, but this is just awesome. I think "Turn Your Head Around" is my favourite so far, and it definitely outdoes the Sodom cover.

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:20 pm 

Triptykon - Boleskine House

Finally got around to picking up this album. Wondering why it took me so long.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:17 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Steel Prophet - Church of Mind

Really good album, this. They don't have the aggression or complexity of Dark Hallucinations, but they do have strong, nimble guitarwork, layered melodies and a real sense for catchy songs. An addictive experience.

That is my favorite album of theirs. It is catchy and kinda unorthodox but not enough for it to be proggy. I saw them with that line up when they played the Powermad festival with a sort of Helstar line up that James threw together and Reign of Terror. That said....

NP: Steel Prophet - Chariots of the Gods

This new album is actually pretty good. The first half is much more catchy than the second half but they sound tight and Rick Mythiasin still has a great voice.

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:48 am 

Book of the Dead sounds like a more orthodox European sort of album compared to the others. It's basically a Taraxacum album in spirit - the first couple of songs especially sound a lot like that band, which Mythiasin also sang for. I really like "Locked Out" and "Burning into Blackness" especially, and "Anger Seething" is just awesomely unique.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:41 am 

Thor - Only the Strong

One the most consistently good ancient power metal albums. No sucky ballads in sight. Over the top metal at its best.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:44 am 

Maceration - A serenade of Agony

a strong work of '90 death metal, brutal and fast.

Sincerily dunno negative critics that someone move to it :grumble:

"You make it easy."

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:46 am 

13th Moon - The Rite as Sinister as Old

Yeah. I like this. Decrepit, filth from the dusty tombs where the dead reign forever, aching to rise again...

My collection

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:23 am 

Just listened to Aeons Black by Aeon. That album was overwhelmingly good in every way. Intense drumming and vocals, massive riffage, fantastic soloing. Great way to end my night at 5 AM.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:03 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
There's definitely a savings with larger orders. I find 6 is the sweet-spot for me, but I think 12 CDs is like 3200 yen or something. Where you get fucked is 1-2 CDs (esp. 1). I'm doing some shopping service runs atm as well. I'm going after the 1st Manipulated Slaves CD and I think I'm gonna go for the first Terror Squad and all 3 Fatima Hill albums. Fatima Hill I heard ages ago, but couldn't get past the vocals. Those vox are weaksauce compared to some of the shit I listen to now though :lol:

Naturally, you spend less per CD on shipping, the more you order at once. Of course, you probably should always get the max amount of CDs allowed at the price. Basically, if you're going to spend the money for “15 or less” be sure to get 15. To be the most cost effective, you'd do 35 CDs at once, but that's a little ridiculous. :lol: I was just going to 15 at first, but then I realized that I forgot about that Versailles EP so I ended up going to 18.

Quote:
Do SHM-CDs actually provide any benefit, or is it just another cash-grab? I guess with all these fancy formats, they're only as good as the master.

I'm sure it's just another cash grab. Well, SHM-CDs are higher quality plastic, so I suppose it'll last a lot longer before physically decaying. :lol:

Quote:
There's a song on one of them called Kamikaze - they ripped Tengusakura off :P Man, this fall can't come soon enough.

I'm excited. My next order has the rest of their albums on it. I'm going to listen to those albums to hell and back; I know it.

Quote:
Indeed, esp. since they toiled in the underground for like a decade. It almost looks like they have a full-time bassist now, but I'm not sure.

Way too much talent and potential to leave.

Quote:
Manipulated Slaves is a strange mix of melodeath, thrash, 80s heavy metal, and 90s gothic/doom metal. One minute it'll be blast-beat driven insanity, then there will be violins and female vocals, etc. I can see this being really jarring to those not into this style. I dig it just fine though. I think their latest may be their best one.

Sounds right up my alley. :lol:

Quote:

Ah, I've heard a couple of songs by Volcano. Very good stuff and of course, Sheja is the man behind the band, so that'll only mean good things.

Quote:
And it doesn't help the lyrics being in Japanese, so I have no clue what's going on. So I guess I'm left to my own devices, and this weird, fucked-up imagery :lol:

What does it mean? :lol:

Quote:
I guess if I'm actively paying attention (for whatever reason) it becomes more noticeable, but sometimes its impossible to ignore. Like that last Aldious has pretty blatant basswork. Not sure why I didn't notice it on "Dominator" before, its like a bulldozer. Unless the album version has a different mix than the single one. Here's the live version of that one:

Rarely do youtube comments have anything valuable in them, but that one at the top is pretty funny.

Awesome stuff. I squeezed in the first two Aldious albums on my next order. I'm definitely pumped for that to come in.

Quote:
I have no doubt in my mind it'll be good. These bands never stop, ever. :lol:

Nope, they never do.

Gargoyle - ○○○~zero・wa・maru~

Yes, those weirdass characters are in the song title. I was actually disappointed when I heard "Kemoinochi" and "Ronpuu" for the first time yesterday. Not sure why maybe I was just in a bad mood, cause it's awesome today. Anyways about the actual song, it's one of Gargoyle's signature bizarre, lighthearted party-esque songs and it's awesome.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:28 pm 

Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space, off the album of the same name

Frantic drums and hard-cutting riffs are just what the doctor ordered!

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:07 pm 

Versailles - Faith & Decision

An awesome, 16-minute power metal epic.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:21 pm 

Appalling Spawn - The Selfmonarch. I finally got around to buying the All Spawns compilation and I've been playing it relentlessly since I got it in the mail. I love the classical opening that they put on the Bestial, Mystical and Spiritual version as opposed to the shortened version on Freedom, Hope and Fury.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:54 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

Naturally, you spend less per CD on shipping, the more you order at once. Of course, you probably should always get the max amount of CDs allowed at the price. Basically, if you're going to spend the money for “15 or less” be sure to get 15. To be the most cost effective, you'd do 35 CDs at once, but that's a little ridiculous. :lol: I was just going to 15 at first, but then I realized that I forgot about that Versailles EP so I ended up going to 18.

I think massive orders are a bit stressful for multiple reasons - like, if it *does* get lost/stolen... Also in Canada, we do sometimes get charged duty. I've been lucky though - I've only been charged 3 times over the last 2 years, which isn't too bad. Most people in Europe get charged duty a lot, esp. via EMS shipments. The US I don't think gets charged. Duty is a two-fold problem for me: 1) well, the money (even though its not the end of the world) 2) Package-damage (the most important reason). Customs officials aren't terribly nice with packages and HMV's packaging for larger orders is good, but isn't really designed to withstand customs opening it. You see, they put the CDs on a piece of cardboard, wrap that up with heavy plastic wrap, then glue that to the bottom of the box. Customs has to open the box from the bottom, so that fucks everything up. The last one they opened up, they opened up the plastic wrapping around the CDs and one got lose and was stuck to the top of the box. Suffice to say, I'm still traumatized by that - thank fuck nothing came damaged.

This is also a problem for western Canadians only, but that new mail processing plant really sucks and they've had problems with packages getting stuck in conveyer belts and shit, having to move them with long sticks, etc. I've received a few boxes that came maimed (thank fuck the contents were fine).

I guess huge orders are also really good with coupon promotions. Getting a 50-100 dollar rebate coupon is pretty nice. My largest order (around $300) was done with a 30% rebate coupon. Coincidently, I finished my Onmyo-Za collection with that one - no duty either. Huge orders are pretty fun, but I do find CDs often get lost in the shuffle from that - whereas smaller orders I tend to focus on them more. No wait, that's kinda bullshit - I have tons of neglected CDs for whatever reason. But I do try to play everything 3 times before filing them. I kinda slacked off from my policy from last year of playing Japanese CDs 1 time per dollar spent :lol: ("If I'm gonna get financially crucified by these things, I'm gonna get my money's worth!").

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure it's just another cash grab. Well, SHM-CDs are higher quality plastic, so I suppose it'll last a lot longer before physically decaying. :lol:

Man, that is kinda useless because regular CDs will outlive me anyway, and my Japanese CDs get ripped to FLAC and put into plastic sleeves anyway. I do kinda like Japanese papersleeves though, but I dunno if I can justify replacing a bunch of old CDs with those though. Its disturbing at how often classic bands get their back catalog reissued over there.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm excited. My next order has the rest of their albums on it. I'm going to listen to those albums to hell and back; I know it.

It also looks like all members are going to contribute songs - no shock, considering how many songs there are :lol: Matatabi wrote the last 2 albums completely.

Quote:
Quote:

Way too much talent and potential to leave.

Since they're signed, I'm kinda hoping for a rapid succession of albums. They do have 2 demo mini-albums (before "Dream") with terrible mastering and man I'd love to see every song on those properly re-recorded ("Passion") is from one of those.

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds right up my alley. :lol:

The Terror Squad CD I got was pretty neat too. Rather punky/chaotic speed metal with technical/progressive tendencies.

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, I've heard a couple of songs by Volcano. Very good stuff and of course, Sheja is the man behind the band, so that'll only mean good things.

Strange they were on a major label at one point. Pity their first 2 albums are out of print (that seems to happen a lot over there). Their bassist is in Thousand Eyes (a melodeath band I listen to).

Quote:

Rarely do youtube comments have anything valuable in them, but that one at the top is pretty funny.

Awesome stuff. I squeezed in the first two Aldious albums on my next order. I'm definitely pumped for that to come in.[/quote]
Those are with their first vocalist and are pretty damn good ("Determination" being my favorite,, at the moment). As mentioned many times, I'm quite happy with their latest album. Strangely enough, it seems to be their worst charting album.

I'm playing that Around the Nation album now and it seems ok. It isn't blowing me away as much as I'd like, but maybe it'll grow on me. Production could be better. At least I'm equipped now to tell apart the 2 vocalist in Art of Gradation. Not sure if I'd call this metal. Not sure what I'd call it honestly. Hrmm... J-Rock! :lol:

That Destrose DVD was pretty nice (sound was a bit iffy at times though). Good performance and setlist, and the last recording of Marina on vocals. Not sure why they played Maze twice on that though. :lol:

[edit]It looks like Alhambra's drummer left and got replaced by Mahatma's drummer (apparently Mahatma will remain active). The good news is, it looks like Alhambra is recording. I'm baffled how Yuhki is pulling this off while recording that new Galneryus and Hibiki is also recording the new Light Bringer and Merdelas. Goddamn workaholics! :P

Magistina Saga "Creaith Anthem"

I'm pretty happy with this album so far.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:06 pm 

13th Moon - Abhorrence of Light

The track 'Breathing the Putrefaction of Their Grace' is a prime example of primitive, no frills Black/Death Metal

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:26 pm 

Halberd - Ignorance of Morbidity (from their debut Remnants of Crumbling Empires)

This is some excellent doom/death (or death/doom as Diamhea insists) from Metal Archive members on three continents. Great job guys!!

Like your reviews?

Nolax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:11 pm 

Listening to my playlist of Steven Wilson & Vintersorg. :np:

Amazing musicians.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:56 pm 

Flower Travellin' Band - Black Sabbath

It's like a free time version of the song. Absolutely love it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:09 pm 

Immolation - Father, You're Not a Father

I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of this band.

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:38 pm 

Elderwind - The Magic of Nature

Pretty much exactly how you would imagine it sound from the names given above. Pretty damn fantastic.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:43 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Immolation - Father, You're Not a Father

I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of this band.

I don't like them as much as most people but some of their albums are almost flawless.

Np: Question - Doomed Passages

I think I'm addicted to this album. Gotta love their compositional skills that keeps this from being just another old school Death Metal album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1465, 1466, 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470, 1471 ... 2924  Next