Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:38 pm 

Since that hi-hat thread slowly turned into a talk about drumsets in general, I figured its about time we make a drum set thread :D (I searched on here and didn't find a thing!)

I'll post mine later on, at work and no access to many sites that I have pictures of it on that aren't blocked :(

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:42 pm 

I'll take some more recent pics of my kit this week. the one I shared is from some months ago. actually I think late last year. So the cymbals have changed since though nothing else really.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:31 pm 

There's a few pics of my kit. Above, lower, and from the front, live.

Drums:
Mapex VX Series
10", 12", 13", 14", 16" toms
Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer Snare
Remo heads (Emperor on Toms, Coated Controlled Sound on Snare, Powerstroke 3 on Bass)

Cymbals:
14" AA Metal X Hats
17" AAX X Treme Chinese
6" B8 Splash
16" AAX X Plosion Fast Crash
10" AAX Air Splash
16" AAX X Plosion Crash
14" AAX X Plosion Hats
18" AA Metal Chinese
20" AA Metal X Ride (I think... the print is gone from years of hitting)
12" B8 Pro Splash

Vater 5B Drumsticks (or Power 5B, just depends on whats in stock when I buy them)

Axis Longboard Pedals w/ E-Kit triggers (not shown, at my bands practice space on my practice kit)

Hardware:
Gibralter Rack
Premier boom stands
other misc Gibralter, Premier & Mapex hardware

Electronics:
Alesis DM5 Drum Module
Audix Micorphones
Presonus Audiobox Recording Interface

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:33 pm 

Ooooops, the snare in the second picture is my old snare, Pork Pie Pig Lite acrylic one. D'oh!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:09 pm 

Dig the kit. I hope to get to the shed to tmwr to record some stuff. have some other shit lined up as far as actual work with cutting grass and building cabs that I have to attend to so I'll see how it all balances out. if I get there I'll snap some pics. won't be too different than before.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:10 am 

That's a really nice kit John. Love your Nuclear Assault poster as well :P and I am wondering what band you are playing with in the last picture.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:53 am 

the Funeral Age kicks and banner doesn't give any sort of a hint... be it one of the bands linked in his profile?

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:51 am 

Hahaha I couldn't read the logo, that's why I asked. Give me a break it was before I had my morning coffee. I'm listening now I like what I hear on "Thy Martyrdom Come". Almost reminds me a bit of Angelcorpse with a subtle use of keys which is always a plus.

I actually like this so much I just ordered the CD :)

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:22 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
That's a really nice kit John. Love your Nuclear Assault poster as well :P and I am wondering what band you are playing with in the last picture.

Hahaha I couldn't read the logo, that's why I asked. Give me a break it was before I had my morning coffee. I'm listening now I like what I hear on "Thy Martyrdom Come". Almost reminds me a bit of Angelcorpse with a subtle use of keys which is always a plus.

I actually like this so much I just ordered the CD

Killer! Thanks a lot mang :D . Glad you dig the music. I'm feeling a bit under the weather this week so I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to run to my guitarists to grab the CD, but I'll do it ASAP!

And the Nuclear Assault poster... :( . That was from my High School band days, we were supposed to open for them, but they no-showed... still kept the poster/flyer as a "I was SUPPOSED to open for Nuclear Assault" piece of memorabilia :p

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:46 pm 

You'll get to it when you get to it man, it's not an issue. :)

That's a shame about Nuclear Assault. I would have kept the poster too.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:19 pm 

From a session in February:

Pearl Masters MCX with Gretsch Catalina Club snare and Soultone cymbals. Axis Derek Roddy pedals, DM5 module, Vic Firth 5AN sticks, and various different brands for stands. I've since changed the snare head from clear to coated, but everything else here's the same. Not pictured are my rototoms which I didn't need for this session.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:41 pm 

Cool set! Those cymbals look like they have a nice tone!

Also, I remember using a clear head on my snare a long time back... I remember it having more of a THWOMP sound than a CRACK sound.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:56 pm 

Cool kits, you guys. Looks like they'd be fun to play. Mine is pretty minimalistic and is probably pretty boring to look at:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:53 am 

Do you have a bucket of sheetrock mud holding the highats in place?

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:28 am 

haha yeah, it's ceiling paint and drywall compound that stop the slave kick from moving forward.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:44 am 

Only recently started drumming and as i live in an apartment i cant make too much noise.
Not quite sure where i will move on to next. Thinking about making it so that i can record proper beats at home not quite sure what i would have to get to get to that stage. For now just more and more practice!

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:17 pm 

CloggedUrethra - Sometimes minimalism is best! I played a house show about a year ago and there was just one kit for everyone to use that was pretty similar to the one you have.... and boy oh boy it was a blast! Really fun to take everything I do on my big kit and work it down to a smaller kit!

Tomcat - Not too shabby :) . I like that module/brain/whatever you want to call it. Used to have one like that myself and I loved it!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:30 pm 

Have a well used Tama Swingstar 7 piece. 12,13,14,16 toms. 2 22 kicks. Cymbals get changed out often cause I smash them to pieces. But use a range of the bigger named ones Sabian, Zildjian, Meinl, and Paiste basically what I can get for decently priced and I know enough about each of their sounds since I kinda go through them like toilet paper.

I like Iron Cobra pedals and I use Ralph Hardimon signature sticks by Vic Firth, also like the Tom Float signatures.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:59 pm 

I would freak out if I had all different cymbal brands! Even my practice kit with all broken cymbals are all Sabian :lol: (i'll get a pic of that soon, too)

Whats with the tape? For dampening?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:57 pm 

mainly for dampening but it's also industrial electrical tape that comes in a 8in roll... so it actually lengthens the life of my heads so I don't have to replace them every 3 months from being dented in. They maintain their sound quality and tension for almost triple the length of time.

the piece on the snare is to cover a worn spot. it's a kevlar head and i actually haven't changed it in probably 9 years. it's maintained and kept it's tension.

I'm all about what the end result and sound is, don't care about the looks of my kit. the one before this one was busted beyond belief but everyone was always floored both live and recorded at how great it actually sounded. And not just great for it's looks, great as in hearing any normal kit.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:55 am 

Got this kit:
It is Tama Swingstar Classic with actually 5 Toms but I don't have the space to put them all in there (I also need to clean it I see now hehe). Tama pedals as well. Snare is from Pearl and I have Remo heads on all of them, there was no need to replace them since I have them which is quite different to my previous kit (new heads every few months).
Most of the cymbals are Zildjan as you can see except for the China, I prefer Paiste over Zildjans in that area. Also, I bought the ones I liked sound wise, not a specific series or something. I think it is also due the fact I just bought one by one...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:28 pm 

love those titaniums as crashes more than rides. That's how I worked as well... what sounded good to me which is also why I like Sabian 20" rides for crashes as well. different colors to work with.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:50 pm 

That snare looks huge and tiny at the same time :)

I do have an extra rack tom that I always used, but a drummer friend came over a couple years ago and removed it and I haven't bothered putting it back up because I like the 4-piece setup now. One day when I buy new drums I'll get a bigger kit plus a couple extra crashes and some extra mics.

btw, nice ride bell SLK heh

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:59 pm 

thank you, it's the only cymbal that I bought brand new at list price that has actually lasted. I love it.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:29 pm 

Yeah the snare is a picolo, really thin (if that is the right way to describe it) but has a large diameter. It gives a very hard, relatively high sound. It is not always as nice when doing fills and such but for blast beats it is very good.
I am not sure if you miss the 3th tom but I am pretty used to it (technically I have 4 toms, since my name is tom but that is a bit of a bad joke I guess ;)). The main problem with my 5th tom is that it is even larger as the one on the right. I think that in inches this will be about 20ish. just too big hehe.

And indeed nothing wrong with selecting cymbals on the go, though I understand matched sets are meant to sound in a similar fashion, I don't request that at all times since I feel they can have different purposes sound wise.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 pm 

I think I had a snare exactly like that, down to the yellowish wood. I ended up changing out to the one I'm using now, just seem to like it a bit better.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:36 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
thank you, it's the only cymbal that I bought brand new at list price that has actually lasted. I love it.

Rides are my favorite ebcause they don't shit out lol
I've had my B8Pro since I started drumming and it STILL sounds great :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:05 pm 

Actually all my rides prior to that one also broke. They just laste a bit longer, all my cymbals but 2 of them are rides. not ride crashes, just rides.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:48 pm 

One thing I will say for anybody looking into cymbals is do NOT get Zildjian Pitch Blacks. Quality-wise they're barely a step up from fucking Planet Zs, and the black paint comes off even if you just flick the thing with your finger. If you really want a black colored cymbal, get Paiste Black Alphas. They may be covered with the Slipknot logo because they're Joey Jordison specific (although now that he's out of the band they might have removed the S from the design), but they sound great and hold up very well.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:22 pm 

Here is my kit at my bands practice space......

As you can see, I don't care for it very much :)

It's partially a Pearl Export kit, and partially a lower grade Pacific Kit (the bass drums). Sabian Cymbals (mostly broken), a mix of heads and hardware, and yeah... my frankenstein kit! I'm actually going to go and buy it some gifts this weekend. A new hi-hat stand, maybe some lower end cymbals (I only play it 2-3 times a week), maybe some extra stuff if I'm feeling adventurous :p

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:42 pm 

beat to hell is more my style anyway!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:48 pm 

From Sorrowseed's video shoot on Saturday.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:50 pm 

^ DANG! That's a sexxxy kit from the front too!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:17 pm 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
btw, nice ride bell SLK heh

Yeah, that looks awesome, similar to the one I have. In fact, I have a question about playing one like that, with regard to stick type.

My ride is a Zildjian K Custom 20" from circa 1988. It's a really heavy cymbals (~3100g) and I get this absolutely massive, cutting bell sound if I hit it with the butt end of the sticks I have. The tips of the sticks are teardrop shaped and they're wood, not too heavy so even with a heavy hit, the bell doesn't get the same sound. There's more definition and it feels like a stronger hit when I use a random nylon-tipped stick. It rings and cuts the most when I basically drop the butt-end of the stick on the sweet spot of the bell. Playing with the massive, round-tipped Ralph Hardimon sticks, do you get that sort of huge sound from the bell, or is it a sharper and more pronounced sound with nylon tips?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:27 pm 

I hate nylon tips. I get the full wood ones. I break the nylon right off. and it's a huge cutting sound but I've never just dropped the butt on it. I just hit it hard like everything else. So I guess I never got any difference when I did use nylons with it than with a regular wood stick.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:12 am 

I don't remember how I feel about nylon tips, but I also use wood tips. For bell hits I usually hit it with the part of the stick where it starts to taper in, instead of the tip.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:52 am 

ditto that's more often than not for me. I just don't like nylon tips cause they break so goddamn easy.

witchbitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:09 am 

Wow, I love this thread so much. I will try and remember to get a good photo of my kit this week!

I refuse to play seriously with anything but nylon tips. For me they cut through the bass and low tones of death metal on the ride and they give me a good bounce. I have yet to really have a break at the tip. I usually crack the sticks in half somewhere around the middle. I play with Vic Firth Metal N's. For me they are ideal because they are thick, heavy and most importantly longer than regular sticks and being female I am on the smaller side. If they ever stop making these sticks I'm probably fucked. I hit pretty hard but I'm constantly looking for ways to be louder and these seem to do the trick.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:03 am 

Yea with me the nylon tip splits pretty much immediately after a couple of sessions. I know everyone's different in their playing.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 am 

witchbitch wrote:
Wow, I love this thread so much. I will try and remember to get a good photo of my kit this week!

I refuse to play seriously with anything but nylon tips. For me they cut through the bass and low tones of death metal on the ride and they give me a good bounce. I have yet to really have a break at the tip. I usually crack the sticks in half somewhere around the middle. I play with Vic Firth Metal N's. For me they are ideal because they are thick, heavy and most importantly longer than regular sticks and being female I am on the smaller side. If they ever stop making these sticks I'm probably fucked. I hit pretty hard but I'm constantly looking for ways to be louder and these seem to do the trick.

Uhhh...so I saw that you have a link to Shroud of the Heretic's bandcamp in your profile...you aren't Lauren from SotH by any chance, are you? If so, your band fucking rules.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next