Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:39 pm 

Pallbearer have released the first track from their upcoming "Foundations of Burden." At first listen I am loving it, they incorporate a few new elements while sticking close to the foundation they laid with their debut. What do you all think?

The Ghost I Used To Be

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:00 pm 

Geez, most cheerful doom of 2014? Definitely not darkening my sunny summer day but it's alright for what it is. Decent enough musicianship. Hey, maybe it's meant to be Sunbather Doom? Just a stray thought.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:21 pm 

Dunno how I feel about this, but there are some interesting riffs and melodies going on, I would definitely like to see it in context of the album, if anything to see if they keep that "Sunbather Doom" feeling (a term that nails the way this sounds).

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:46 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Dunno how I feel about this, but there are some interesting riffs and melodies going on, I would definitely like to see it in context of the album, if anything to see if they keep that "Sunbather Doom" feeling (a term that nails the way this sounds).

Not at all. Sunbather reeks of copycating the black metal that came out a few years prior but with even more influence from the hipster scene. Pallbearer has always been pretty wholesomely metal and filled with tons of riffs and groove. I don't get any modern influence from them, unless you wanted to talk about maybe Warning.

Anyways, I like this song, but I do fear that this record will become the collection of "leftover" songs by them. Even if it is though, it will probably still be great just based on how monumentally awesome Sorrow and Extinction was.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:17 pm 

Sorrow and Extinction is one of my favorite doom releases, so I'm extremely excited for another Pallbearer. Fuck yes!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:27 pm 

Mono: oh no, I really took it as it was more "cheery doom" - I thought that was a decent observation. Not that there was any hyper-negative context. But, then again, I've been wrong before.

I think Pallbearer is pretty sweet, so I'm hoping it's good.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:32 pm 

I dig it. Just what I expected from them. Can't wait for the new album!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:49 pm 

I wasn't a big fan of Sorrow and Extinction but this song rocks, pretty far from a trad doom atmosphere and aesthetic but it works.

The artwork is lovely too, I guess that's my main issue with the band, it's just too cute and safe.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:07 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Hey, maybe it's meant to be Sunbather Doom? Just a stray thought.

They'll get that tag no matter what the album sounds like since the Pitchfork crowd is so obsessed with them. When I saw them open for Enslaved (fucking Enslaved!) last year the venue was 3/4 plaid-wearing hipsters who decided to leave as soon as Pallbearer finished. There were seriously fewer than 50 people left to see one of the best metal bands in the world when just minutes before there were hundreds. I'm all for metal gaining a broader/new audience, but it's really okay to listen to bands that your fucking circlejerk website doesn't write about.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:53 pm 

I actually really like that art...

PITCHFORK EW. NO. GROSS. STOP.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:11 pm 

Hipster-doom! ;-)

Just finished the song. I liked it. It feels like a continuation of their first album, which is fine by me.

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:24 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
They'll get that tag no matter what the album sounds like since the Pitchfork crowd is so obsessed with them. When I saw them open for Enslaved (fucking Enslaved!) last year the venue was 3/4 plaid-wearing hipsters who decided to leave as soon as Pallbearer finished. There were seriously fewer than 50 people left to see one of the best metal bands in the world when just minutes before there were hundreds..

I caught that tour in Manhattan and had the same experience. I love Pallbearer but it was disappointing to see so many people bail after their set. Enslaved killed it too, played for 2 hours!

Anyways, I can see how some may feel this track is a touch on the "happier" side of doom, which may be off-putting. I liked PF's comment about seeing how it fits into the whole album. If I had to find a flaw with the debut it would be the lack of variation between tracks, as they all seemed to blend together for me. It would be awesome to see some other expansions upon their style on the upcoming release. Regardless, I have lost count of how many times I've listened to that album and I still find myself coming back to it. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the tracks.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:26 am 

Oh my god yes.

I can't even explain how many buttons this is hitting right now. Hipster doom, whatever, I dig it man.

Quote:
When I saw them open for Enslaved (fucking Enslaved!) last year the venue was 3/4 plaid-wearing hipsters who decided to leave as soon as Pallbearer finished.

Oh who gives a shit, man? The line between hipster and metalhead has been blurred for a while now. I saw them open for Enslaved (who I went for, just in case my "legit"ness is questioned :lol:) and they fucking killed it. Enslaved was amazing too (better than the Axioma tour, IMO). Who cares who came to see what band?

Sorrow and Extinction was my favourite doom albums from the last few years, this has me excited beyond words.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:49 am 

I never thought I'd hear them described as hipster-y.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:40 am 

Previously they were just popular among hipsters for some unknown reason (Ok, it's because they're on Profound Lore, obviously), but yeah, they've definitely swung their music to suit their audience a bit, a fair amount of Warning to this, but not quite as boring/unfathomably shitty. I think I actually like this more than the debut since it has a bit of a new sound from stuff I've heard, while S&E was as bog standard as could be, still pretty boring and uneventful for a 10 minute song though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:21 am 

Definite hipster crossover appeal. A friend of mine who doesn't even listen to metal posted this on his Facebook after hearing the band on NPR.

Haven't listened to this new track yet (will do later), but I found the last album unbelievably boring. I don't expect much from this band at all but if they're doing *something* to change up their formula, that's probably a good thing.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:24 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Quote:
When I saw them open for Enslaved (fucking Enslaved!) last year the venue was 3/4 plaid-wearing hipsters who decided to leave as soon as Pallbearer finished.

Oh who gives a shit, man? The line between hipster and metalhead has been blurred for a while now. I saw them open for Enslaved (who I went for, just in case my "legit"ness is questioned :lol:) and they fucking killed it. Enslaved was amazing too (better than the Axioma tour, IMO). Who cares who came to see what band?

Because I want these people to be open to all metal, not just the stuff that's already considered cool among their friends. If you go to a show to see a band you already know and not even give the other bands 5 minutes of your time, how can you call yourself a music fan?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:35 pm 

Really strange to me that a band like Pallbearer would be more popular than Enslaved...I'd never even given the former any thought until that tour was supposed to come around (they had to cancel the show), but I did check out Sorrow and Extinction at that time. It was pretty good but so slow that I think I only listened to it once or twice. I'm not much for crawling music these days, for one reason or another.

People who leave before the end of a show without having a concrete reason like transit closing down or whatever do annoy me. I know it's a bit judgmental and even douchey and people should of course do what they like, but I can't help it. You paid cover to get in (you better have, anyway), so why wouldn't you stay for the whole experience? Someone else said "circle jerk", and, while I am not familiar with Pitchfork really, I do understand how this works, and it's really irritating. Worst are the bands (mostly local) who stridently yammer at all their fans (often online these days) to come and support them at some show or other, and suddenly and inexplicably, halfway through the gig the club fills with nineteen/twenty-year old jerkoffs who clutter up the space and make a lot of noise for half an hour, than disappear when their pet band leaves the stage, never to return. I saw Cauchemar, Axxion and High Spirits a few weeks ago and this is exactly what happened during Axxion's set. I like the band mind you but it still pissed me off. They were there and gone in a flash and only a bunch of diehards stuck around for High Spirits, the band that had come all the way from Chicago to play for us...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:51 pm 

Popularity count:

Pallbearer (Facebook): around 25k likes
Enslaved (Facebook): around 245k

Pallbearer (Twitter): around 4k followers
Enslaved (Twitter): around 33k

Nope. Pallbearer are way behind the Norwegians.

Regarding the debut track from upcoming record it's fantastic. I loved the first album but this one sounds a bit different. The sound of the previous album is intact but at the same time it's sort of expanded into a different territory. It's certainly more atmospheric and alternative leaned. I'd say non-trad doom at its best. And to hell with this "sunbather doom" tag. Just beacuse they're touring with Deafheaven? Jeez! :ugh:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:29 pm 

Those numbers only reflect the international audience, though. I can tell you that without a shadow of a doubt, lots of coverage/support for a band in publications like Pitchfork or Brooklyn Vegan or whatever will get them a hell of a lot more exposure than simply being a very successful underground metal band, such as Enslaved, in lots of urban places in the US. Concert attendance between these two crowds is like night and day; I go to a lot of hipstery sorts of shows for ultra cool new underground indie rock bands that will have venues packed to the gills where only a month prior a band like Immolation will struggle to hit double digits. The only real metal shows that draw a big crowd are genuinely mainstream bands (like Metallica or whatever) or bands that have some kind of huge crossover appeal, like all the LARPing neckbeards who don't listen to much metal who will show up for Amon Amarth because vikings, all of the bros who will show up for Cannibal Corpse because they get to be assholes in the pit, or all of the old guys with mullets who turn up for Accept because they're extras from Napoleon Dynamite.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:15 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Because I want these people to be open to all metal, not just the stuff that's already considered cool among their friends. If you go to a show to see a band you already know and not even give the other bands 5 minutes of your time, how can you call yourself a music fan?

I get what you mean, but why do you think that they only like Pallbearer because it's "just the stuff that's already considered cool among their friends"? Because they are "hipsters"? I just don't get that assumption. Why do you jump to that conclusion instead of maybe it could possibly be that they like Pallbearer and don't like Enslaved? I don't think a prerequisite of being a music fan is listening to everything and anything regardless of interest.

I agree it's kinda lame for someone to duck out without at least giving Enslaved a chance. On the other hand, I can't really blame someone for leaving after seeing the band they wanted to see if they have no interest in Enslaved. When I saw them with Pallbearer during the RIITIIR tour, I'd say the crowd was pretty even for both, I guess a small central Canadian city would probably draw some different crowds than maybe a more metropolitan American city.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:36 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I get what you mean, but why do you think that they only like Pallbearer because it's "just the stuff that's already considered cool among their friends"? Because they are "hipsters"? I just don't get that assumption. Why do you jump to that conclusion instead of maybe it could possibly be that they like Pallbearer and don't like Enslaved? I don't think a prerequisite of being a music fan is listening to everything and anything regardless of interest.

Okay, I definitely am making some assumptions. But with that said... I've been going to shows in Seattle on a regular basis for 10+ years and can recognize a ton of people at most metal gigs. The vast majority of people that night I had never seen before and haven't seen since. I even know some people who went to this show and admit to "only wanting to see Pallbearer" despite never having listened to Enslaved. This might not be everyone, but it's definitely some.

Plus, let's be honest. Metalheads and indie kids don't dress/look the same. It's usually pretty obvious who's there to see who. Anyway, this is a lot to rant about hipsters but the bottom line is I like to think metalheads are open to all sorts of different music and it frustrates me when people listen to metal solely based on image and not because they're willing to explore the genre for themselves.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:58 pm 

Considering Sorrow and Extinction was one of the most overrated turds of all time, this is great by comparison. I might even give this album a shot.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:18 pm 

I had no idea so many people didn't like Sorrow and Extinction. It's like you all don't know what a riff is.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:47 pm 

That album had riffs?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:54 pm 

Yes. You have to listen longer than a minute into the album to hear them.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:10 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
I had no idea so many people didn't like Sorrow and Extinction. It's like you all don't know what a riff is.

I absolutely love this album but there's no goddamn way I would ever consider it an album with memorable riffs.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:30 am 

I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing, so for this year has had a lot of let downs for me. It has been a really good year for re-releases though. So far my favorite new album has been Space Police by Edguy and that was just decent. This has potential to be great.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:46 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Yes. You have to listen longer than a minute into the album to hear them.

Unfortunately I did. And I'll never get my time back.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:07 pm 

http://pitchfork.com/advance/510-foundations-of-burden/

Listen to the album now!

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:19 pm 

It's missing some of the magic from the first album. Their formula is pretty noticable now, except they've stripped away all the best parts and now it's just meandering on. I'll wait till I get to hear it again in high quality but it sounds a lot more dense and I don't like it. Also... a lot faster.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:59 pm 

Better riffs, better production and faster than the debut, still utterly boring post doom songwriting though. I'll probably revisit it but there's better doom bands around, that's for sure. I can't also get behind these vocals, they just suck man... Good thing they're mostly buried under the mix.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:44 pm 

It's pretty deese (decent geese) - not like the first, but not terrible.

I'm with you on the vocals though...meh.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:04 pm 

I'm surprised you guys don't like the vocals. The vocals and melodies the cut through the dense music were one of the most striking things about the first album, I thought, and they only seem to be stronger now. I agree with the notion that the album isn't as immediately grabbing as the first, though. We'll see how it stands up to repeat listens. I agree with the notion of their formula, but I don't really mind: most doom (and metal) bands tend to be this way.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:10 pm 

Weird to see this kind of stuff being popular. Very boring and bland IMO.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:10 pm 

Very excited to hear this. Saw them live (yes, with Deafheaven...) back in the early summer and thought they were fantastic. Loved the first record too.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:00 am 

Easy reason why it can become popular, it's easy listening. It's even lighter than Agalloch on some tracks. So when these indie-hipsters want to find something heavier than usual, they flock to bands like this (or even Deafheaven). Now I'm not the type to hate hipsters listening to more metal bands. In fact, I encourage people any subculture to delve into music of other subcultures. But it sure does bug me that people leave the show before the main act. It's disrespectful as hell. Imagine if that happens to you. You get all bloody hype up to get on stage only to see half the venue rushing to the gates.

What I'm more surprised is to not see more hipsters loving Enslaved. They seem quite appealing to proggy hipster fans, especially their later albums.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:22 am 

Haha not a bad hypothesis Scratch but that only makes me wonder why so many hipsters love Mastodon or AoP. :roll:

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:38 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
What I'm more surprised is to not see more hipsters loving Enslaved. They seem quite appealing to proggy hipster fans, especially their later albums.

When I saw Pallbearer open for Enslaved, a ton of hipster dude and dudettes stuck around for Enslaved. Definitely not a statistic indicating widespread adoration, but I feel like Enslaved keeps getting more and more popular, especially with non-metalhead crowds.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:49 pm 

I must be the only one here that thinks The Ghost I Used to Be sounds fucking stellar and already about thrice as interesting as their debut.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next