Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:18 pm 

A couple of my friends act like it's the greatest thing ever. I personally watched about half of the first episode before coming to the conclusion that this particular Green Arrow has to be the most uncharismatic and boring main character in recent television history.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:46 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
So those new 24 episodes, eh? Cheesy and silly as ever, but always entertaining. I just watch to see Jack Bauer being both a supreme badass and a miserable tortured soul, and it delivered. :nods: The last seasons were kind of bad and it had overstayed its welcome, but a few years break probably did it some good because that was pretty entertaining.

Also, Stephen Fry, Michael Wincott (dat voice :love:), Michelle Fairley and her badass version of Sansa Stark, fuck yeah!

Just started watching it and while it was really entertaining, it was a little predictable, especially with the ending of the premiere.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:22 pm 

New Derek... ...wh... ...new....NEW SEASON OF DEREK!!! :hyper:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:01 am 

Just finished season 8 of Peep Show. Really excellent show all around, super funny shit. Highly recommended to anyone who likes funny things.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:06 am 

Peep Show is definitely the funniest thing I've ever seen. I thought series 8 was a sort of dip in quality, but the last episode really made up for it. I'm happy they're taking longer with the 9th and final series (it will air in 2015!).

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:11 pm 

Ohrwurm wrote:
Has anyone watched Arrow? ... Should I give it a shot?

good one!

Under_Starmere wrote:
New Derek... ...wh... ...new....NEW SEASON OF DEREK!!! :hyper:

Niiiiiice.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Just watched the premiere of Penny Dreadful. Any of y'all catch this yet? It was actually pretty cool. Hasn't made an ass of itself yet despite the, er, outré subject matter.

Agreed. I don't understand its mash-up fixation. The mutual orbiter called it "Dr. Who meets Vampire Diaries." I was going to say "Buffy" for its Hellmouth-esqueness and spook-show mash-up, but it's not at all campy enough for that. Idk, it's not a big deal, I just wish it was a Victorian supernatural thriller without the overreaching character inclusions. Still .. good atmosphere and production. Definitely going to keep with it. I have a feeling it will improve with time.

Also, Vikings ended up totally kicking my ass. Can't wait for the 3rd Season.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:50 pm 

The latest Orphan Black episode was so...erm...weird.

Spoiler: show
The guy clone throws everything off balance for me. I kinda rubbed my eyes in disbelief seeing the opening scene in the episode. As talented as Maslany may be, but Tony the guy clone looks so fuckin' weird. I absolutely didn't like this new angle to the story. Ah well, let's just hope he dies soon.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:00 am 

I disagree.
I liked Tony, dickish as he was. I was all WTF when they showed him, but it could make things very interesting. And of course he looked "weird", he's transitioning after all. It's a testament to Tatiana's acting that she made for a moderately convincing dude, I say.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:30 am 

Orange Is The New Black season 2 delivers the goods so much. Everyone involved with the show stepped up their game for this season. Really great TV. All of the flashbacks thus far have ranged from good to awesome and the prison drama is as solid as ever.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:01 am 

Morrigan wrote:
I disagree.
I liked Tony, dickish as he was. I was all WTF when they showed him, but it could make things very interesting. And of course he looked "weird", he's transitioning after all. It's a testament to Tatiana's acting that she made for a moderately convincing dude, I say.

No doubt, mad props to Tatiana for even attempting to do it but sadly I'm still stuck in the WTF phase and can't move beyond that :( Maybe with time and some decent special effects, the "transitioned" Tony would look more like a dude.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:19 am 

But of course he/she is going to seem a little "off" - Tony is a trans man. He's not supposed to be an average dude, and expecting him to feel like one or for Tatiana to sell him as a "normal guy" in her performance seems a little off-base. Just sayin'.

Excellent episodes on the same day from both Game of Thrones and Penny Dreadful! It was great to see PD do such a dedicated, novel-esque episode... really nailed the entire atmosphere and perspective of Victorian-era horror. Very solid writing leading it all. Fucking cool stuff, man. Patient and reserved, making the horrific parts all the more explosive and vivid when they did occur. And the camera work! Shit, the lighting and cinematography rule. Never seen Eva Green in anything before but she is absolutely rocking the character of Vanessa Ives.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:47 pm 

lastdodobird wrote:
Orange Is The New Black season 2 delivers the goods so much. Everyone involved with the show stepped up their game for this season. Really great TV. All of the flashbacks thus far have ranged from good to awesome and the prison drama is as solid as ever.

*tears of joy for this scene*

Last episode of Season 2 spoiler.

And yeah the flashbacks this season were some of the best. Poussey and Morello was just OMG. Poussey's was the most powerful and Morello's just makes me fall in love with her, ironically.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:55 pm 

Just finished watching the first episode of Penny Dreadfull and daaaaaaaaaamn, this is good. They really nailed the atmosphere of Victorian-era London. It's also incredibly suspenseful, bordering on downright effective horror at some points. Something that I haven't seen in a tv serie for a long time, if ever. The characters are great. I don't care that much about the american gunslinger yet, but Vanessa Ives and Viktor are awesome. Really good acting across the board.

Also they really don't screw around with the gore.

That last scene with Frankenstein and Frankenstein's monster. :love: So well done.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:02 pm 

Five episodes in and it hasn't disappointed yet!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:47 pm 

Yeah, it's gotten off to a great start. I'm really enjoying that show.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:53 pm 

I know I'm a little late but I just watched the first season of Silicon Valley straight through and now I'm mad that I have to wait until next year to see more of it. What usually ruins comedies for me are unlikeable and/or unrealistic characters, but I am loving the characters on this show. Erlich is the perfect asshole and the back and forths between Dinesh and Gilfoyle are hilarious. I really hope that this show takes off.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:06 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
I know I'm a little late but I just watched the first season of Silicon Valley straight through and now I'm mad that I have to wait until next year to see more of it. What usually ruins comedies for me are unlikeable and/or unrealistic characters, but I am loving the characters on this show. Erlich is the perfect asshole and the back and forths between Dinesh and Gilfoyle are hilarious. I really hope that this show takes off.

:thumbsup: I totally agree, the dialogues between these 2 were awesome like when Gilfoyle told Dinesh he could fuck his girlfriend if he wanted to!

I'm currently watching Deep Space Nine (almost midway through season 3) and it's probably the best series I've ever watched, the scripts are so strong, it's highly entertaining and it has memorable characters.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:12 am 

Silicon Valley is a lot of fun.

For more computer stuff, check out Halt and Catch Fire on AMC. Less comedy, more drama. It's fairly interesting so far.

I've been watching Fargo, very very good. Thornton is kicking ass, intense. Perfect mix of (often black) humor and crazy psychopathic tragedy shit.

Also this season of Louie is FANTASTIC, maybe my favorite, and that's saying something cuz it's always been great. I cried at the end of the in the woods episode. I don't cry much.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:59 am 

I've been meaning to watch Silicon Valley. The only snippet I've seen is the video about dick jokes that went viral.

Some news from the True Detective camp: "Showrunner Nic Pizzolatto told reporters he "can't imagine" doing more than 3 seasons"

http://time.com/2864862/true-detective-season/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:35 am 

Seconding Silicon Valley. Hilarious stuff.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:25 pm 

Penny Dreadful spoilers episode 2:

Just finished episode two and WHAT?! Proteus DIES? I FEEL REALLY SAD NOW. :(

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:09 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Seconding Silicon Valley. Hilarious stuff.

Finished it yesterday. It had a great start, some really funny scenes. Thank fuck, they didn't ruin Kumail's character with the usual brown stereotypes unlike that godawful show BBT. The last episode was kinda predictable but it didn't have the same comedic fervor as the rest of the season. Still, undoubtedly one of the better shows this year.

Has anyone seen 'Halt and Catch Fire'? It's a drama based on the 80s tech boom.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:29 pm 

I'm looking forward to finally watching the last two episodes of this season of Louie. I've really come to enjoy this show a lot; honestly, I look forward to it more than I do Game of Thrones.

Another good sitcom my friend recently turned me on to is a Danish show called Klown. It's similar to Louie, in my opinion, except far more realistic (the events in the show are based on things that actually happened in Frank Hvam's life, whereas Louie is very surreal) and slightly less awkward. Highly recommended.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:30 am 

Louie is brilliant as hell. I cried at the end of the pot episode...I don't cry very often.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:36 am 

I thought the last couple eps of this season were a letdown compared to the amazing first half, but it was all good stuff. He's a real talent.

Three eps into Orphan Black. Kills so far.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:29 pm 

Has Todd and the Book of Pure Evil been mentioned in this thread?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:02 am 

Orphan Black Season Finale

The best part of the episode! :love:

and of course, Rachel getting a pencil through her eye!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:59 am 

Penny Dreadful continues to impress! Quite a damn good show thus far, I must say. Latest episode was pretty intense stuff. Vanessa Ives has got to be such an exhausting character to play. So glad this was recently renewed for at least a second season, it more than deserves it!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:38 am 

24:
Pretty cowardly how they didn't kill off Heller. :nono: Hate cop outs like that. Oh well, at least we got to see the Red Wedding v2... ;) lol @ Jack straight up murdering Catelyn like that.

Man that assassin Navarro sent is so incompetent. Love how Jack's contact described him as a super scary dude, but he couldn't even do the job on a poor unarmed techie. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:20 pm 

I've recently begun watching classic Dr. Who on netfilx, my interest was piqued when I watched Torchwood, only problem is that netflix is shit when it comes to classic Dr. Who. They only have about 75 episodes of the pre 2000's show and I'm wondering if any of y'all know where I can find the umpteen missing episodes???

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:52 pm 

I finished Deep Space Nine so my life is kind of a void right now! It was perhaps one of my favorite tv series ever and the 170 episodes or so were all good. The whole cast of characters was impressive and you really cared about all of them unlike some other shows. The plots mix political intrigues, religious themes and warfare in a very complex and intelligent way. Highly recommended!

So after a few days, I continued Pushing Daisies and it's a very good series even though it was cancelled after 2 seasons :( I like Bryan Fuller a lot (he wrote 2 DS9 episodes haha and worked on Voyager) and this series was very interesting. Lee Pace is a piemaker with a special gift (he has the power to bring people back to life) who teams up with a PI. It's some sort of crime investigation + fantasy with a huge dark humor and fairytale feel. The dialogues are quite witty and fast paced.

I need to watch Wonderfalls and Hannibal now, any opinions on Dead Like Me?

I'm also continuing House of Lies, Don Cheadle is a marvelous actor and I love Ben Schwartz and Kristen Bell too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:56 pm 

DS9 rules, aside from the occasional Odo/Kira melodrama and whatnot.

I know what you mean about a void. VOY/ENT just don't fill it.

Dead Like Me isn't bad. I'm not massively fond of the main character, but I believe it's similar to Pushing Daisies, which I haven't seen. It does have Mandy Patinkin in it!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:04 pm 

Dead Like Me is boss, you'll enjoy it for sure. Just do yourself a favor and skip out on the 'wrap up' movie, it blows hard.

Azmodes wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:05 pm 

Hot damn. Spartacus rules.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:15 pm 

...on opposite day.

And yep, that's pretty much the wit du jour of the dialog in that terrible, terrible series.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:21 pm 

Nah, it's awesome fun. I'm glad I tried again after I was a bit put off by the pilot a few years ago. It's got style, story, great characters and plain old action fun. Everything's right where it needs to be, including the deliciously pompous dialogue. I can't get enough of John Hannah as Batiatus. :D

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:23 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
It does have Mandy Patinkin in it!

Now I must watch it. After I watch Homeland. And then watch everything else that god among men has ever been in. <3

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:23 pm 

I thought Spartacus season 1 was really fun. Season 2 was good as well. Season 3...

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:26 pm 

I'm almost through with Season 1, was told to watch the Gods of the Arena prequel before moving on to Season 2.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:26 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
It does have Mandy Patinkin in it!

Now I must watch it. After I watch Homeland. And then watch everything else that god among men has ever been in. <3

I love Mandy Patinkin, I wish he had never left Criminal Minds :(

Azmodes wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 182  Next