Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:35 am 

failsafeman wrote:
MasterOfSin, don't just list bands. If you're going to recommend something, just pick a few bands and write a little about them to explain why they're a good fit for the request.

Ok, i pick my favorites, and the more unknow in my opinion.

All are female fronted.
Crysalys (The Awakening of Gaia): Symphonic Elements , operatic voice, , fast-tempo, choirs, with Metalcore influences, with a real soprano.
Kapel Maister (Into Salvation): Symphonic, 2 operatic voices, fast-tempo, synth, one ballad, neoclassical/progressive influences.
Offertorium (Onhe Dich): Symphonic, Gothic, operatic voice, fast-tempo, , progressive influences, Demo.
Eternal Dream (The Fall of Salanthine) : Symphonic, Power, Fast-tempo, operatic voice, choirs, synth.
Niobeth (Silvery Moonbeams) : Symphonic, operatic voice, choirs, existence of ballads.
Elessär (Dark Desires) : Symphonic , Power, operatic voice, fast-tempo, progressive influences.
Escapist (Hidden Memories) : Symphonic, Power, operatic voice, synth, choirs, fast-tempo.
Kerion (CloudRiders Part I) : Symphonic, Power, fast-tempo, choirs, synth, is a rhapsody female fronted.
Whyzdom (From the brick of infinity) : Symphonic, Gothic, operatic voice, choirs, synth, fast-tempo.
The Hourglass (Through darkness and light) : Symphonic, operatic voice, synth.
Siren's Legacy : Symphonic Elements, operatic voice, synth, progressive influences.
Poemisia (La Danza delli spiriti) : Symphonic , gothic, operatic voice, fast-tempo, synth.
Overdream (Navigator) : Symphonic, operatic voice, power, synth, fast-tempo.
Oratory (Beyond earth): Symphonic element, power, synth, fast-tempo, choirs.
Operatika (The calling) : Symphonic, fast-tempo, synth, Progressive influences.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:20 am 

Alright, one point to Xlxlx - Helker is pretty goddamned awesome. Liking Resistir right now; crunchy riffs and really cool bass lines.

Woodgod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:34 am 

Does anyone know of any doomy-but-not-quite-doom trad. metal bands like Cirith Ungol and Pagan Altar? I'm not looking for bands like Witchfinder General as much as I like them.

Last edited by Woodgod on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:47 am 

Woodgod wrote:
Does anyone know of any doomy-but-not-quite-doom trad. metal bands like Cirith Ungol?

LORD DECION GO INTO THE WOODS, YOUR SPELLS ARE EVIL BUT YOUR MAGIC DOESN'T WORK ON MEEEEEE!!!!!!! :headbang:

A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Woodgod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:57 am 

I know the last two bands quite well (although I never thought of Brocas Helm as doomy). I've heard of Christian Mistress, but now I have reason to listen to them. Never heard of Natur before. Sounds really cool. Thanks.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:59 am 

No problem. Check out Borrowed Time too if you don't know them already.

Woodgod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:40 am 

Thanks. This thread is the best. :headbang:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:20 am 

I'm still completely smitten by that Borrowed Time album. I got a bunch of new stuff in and took some time off from it, but as soon as I put it back on recently it was like falling back in with an old friend. Every single moment is so sculpted and glorious.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:42 am 

Yea, it's awesome. I got their Arcane Metal Arts demo on a white 12" vinyl that has some live tracks on it too. Their full album on vinyl is something to behold though.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:59 am 

Woodgod wrote:
Does anyone know of any doomy-but-not-quite-doom trad. metal bands like Cirith Ungol and Pagan Altar? I'm not looking for bands like Witchfinder General as much as I like them.

I listen to a few heavy/doom bands, none are quite like CU or PA but give 'em a shot I say. The Gates of Slumber's Conqueror and Hymns of Blood and Thunder albums are great examples of this style, mournful and doomy but still rooted in heavy metal. Briton Rites' For Mircalla is also a must for this style, maybe a bit more doom than heavy but still with a heavy helping of trad. metal. Vocalist Phil Swanson is also in Upwards of Endtime, who have some doom influences, I'd recommend checking out their debut (and if you like that one, the followup, Sadly Never Fore).

Crush's Kingdom of the Kings isn't very doomy, but it gives me a lot of the same vibes as CU's King of the Dead (as does Brocas Helm, but they were already rec'd). I'd also suggest Ageless Wisdom's sole demo, it's not terribly doomy but it's epic MR-ish metal with a vocalist akin to Terry Jones. The first two Skullview albums also give me a CU vibe at times, just heavy as fuck with a Baker-ish vocalist and classic riffs. Also check out Argus' Boldly Stride the Doomed, it's a solid album in this style.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:32 pm 

Perdition666: Yes, I checked the bands you posted on my other thread, but this time I'm more looking for bands with operatic female vocals rather than japanese style. But Ancient Myth and Alhambra are pretty neat. Alhambra in special. The vocals are interesting. Thanls for that.

And MasterOfSin: Event though your recs have the kind of vocals I had in mind, they're mostly lack synth... It's a lot of stuff to check, so I can't say I went very through on samples, but anyway I was actually looking for something with more synth and less huh... nosynth?
Thanks anyway, I still gotta check your list with more time

this song here summarizes well what I'm after. It has exxageratedly lots of synth, choirs of operatic vocals and is fast tempo.

Woodgod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:16 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Woodgod wrote:

I listen to a few heavy/doom bands, none are quite like CU or PA but give 'em a shot I say. The Gates of Slumber's Conqueror and Hymns of Blood and Thunder albums are great examples of this style, mournful and doomy but still rooted in heavy metal. Briton Rites' For Mircalla is also a must for this style, maybe a bit more doom than heavy but still with a heavy helping of trad. metal. Vocalist Phil Swanson is also in Upwards of Endtime, who have some doom influences, I'd recommend checking out their debut (and if you like that one, the followup, Sadly Never Fore).

Crush's Kingdom of the Kings isn't very doomy, but it gives me a lot of the same vibes as CU's King of the Dead (as does Brocas Helm, but they were already rec'd). I'd also suggest Ageless Wisdom's sole demo, it's not terribly doomy but it's epic MR-ish metal with a vocalist akin to Terry Jones. The first two Skullview albums also give me a CU vibe at times, just heavy as fuck with a Baker-ish vocalist and classic riffs. Also check out Argus' Boldly Stride the Doomed, it's a solid album in this style.

I've already heard Briton Rites and Gates of Slumber, but I'll check out the others. Thanks.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:47 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Perdition666: Yes, I checked the bands you posted on my other thread, but this time I'm more looking for bands with operatic female vocals rather than japanese style. But Ancient Myth and Alhambra are pretty neat. Alhambra in special. The vocals are interesting. Thanls for that.

Well, at least you found something worthwhile here. Alhambra is awesome, I like them a lot (almost as much as Galneryus, actually). The entire Siegfried album is really good and one of my faves from 2012. I've been mindlessly focused on Japanese stuff the last 1.5 years, so any recommendation I give will probably be from there :lol: Oh, have you heard Liv Moon yet? They're pretty well-known, but just in case you missed them, they're worth hearing (esp. Golden Moon). Liquid Braino's reviews are pretty accurate. Elupia might be worth checking out, but they're all over the place stylistically and not really metal, bar a few songs. I'm not thoroughly familiar with their works, but the doujin symphonic metal bands Asriel and Rokugen Alice may be worth hearing (good chance you know them though).

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:53 pm 

monkseatcheese wrote:
Anyone know anything about this band?

Pretty good, the language makes for some strange but awesome vocal melodies.

I have to second this! I've listened to this a few times now and find it very cool!

The music is heavy metal and blends elements of early prog metal, moments of furious speed metal and a few other surprises. It's really all over the place, not in a bad way.

And yeah, the vocals contribute to making this an interesting, exotic trip. I tracked down the band on MA: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/ก้านกล้วย/125828

(you have to copy paste the entire link, clicking doesn't work for some reason)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:31 am 

Been listening to these acoustic versions on Virgin Steele's Invictus bonus disc. The versions, except for ''Trail of Tears'' and ''Perfect Mansions'' aren't as long, which is one of the flaws and at times DeFeis still sounds like he's a bit bored, but when he's on, he's dead on and sounds like he hasn't aged a bit.

''Perfect Mansions'' sounds even better live than on the studio. DeFeis still proves he can roar as good as ever, and the whole song just has more life to it. I always thought the studio version just went on and on and dragged but this version is just straight to the point and more powerful than I could have imagined.

''Unholy Water'' Is another interesting pick. While I consider the original to be romantic and somewhat upbeat, this one is darker and almost bleak in a way I'd say.

''Emalaith'' is a cool choice. It's just 4:29 minutes long, but does its job well. Quite faithful to the original, too - the child of desolation, cry to me gets played at the end, but still, pretty cool done in the end.

''The Burning of Rome'' is way too short. It's just 2:43 minutes long. It starts off softly and then around half of the song it explodes and rocks hard. Again, the lack of length is an issue here. I think this could have worked well if it was atleast around 4 minutes long or so.

There are 2 medleys of ''A Whisper of Death'' played and they both work well. Slightly different in mood, compared to the original, but a nice idea and well executed.

The new songs on both The Marriage of Heaven and Hell and Invictus aren't really appealing at all, unfortunately. The actual SONGS are more of less the same of what we heard on the latest 2 VS albums with whimpy vocals, a terrible guitar tone and no real hooks to them. Another track is just Edward playing around on his guitar...this was suppose to be written around 1994 or so but pretty far from the Marriage quality.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:44 pm 

Are there any really experimental Europower bands? Ones that really seem to have got bored with what they're playing and start just playing about with musical or stylistic lines and boundaries or just shift into something completely different but still impressive, like so many black metal bands seem to have? The closest I get are Angra or Sonata Arctica's Unia, or maybe Crystallion completely morphing to an all-out retro metal band. I still love all my favourite PM stuff, but want something to keep me on my toes here for a change! Sigh's Gallows Gallery is also kind of relevant, although of course they're an example of one of those black metal bands :P

And I also wasn't sure whether it would be best to post this here or in a separate thread.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:09 am 

Hrm, I think the big problem is, as soon as someone starts adding foreign elements or mixing things up, it suddenly becomes "progressive metal" or "power/prog". Its a pity you didn't ask me about this back in 2008 or something - I was obsessed with hunting this stuff back then. :lol:

[I always seem to recommend these albums haha] I found Arch Nemesis' 2nd album "Of Mind and Fantasy" to be fairly experimental and "out there" (its rather atmospheric, moody, and incorporates many influences). Its worth giving a shot if you haven't heard it yet. Give Ashes to Ashes 2nd album "Cardinal VII" a go too (Empyreal's review sums that album up nicely). Dimension F3H's "Reaping the World Winds" isn't particularly easy to pigeon-hole, but I feel that one is worth checking out too (that album has the same vocalist as Arch Nemesis).

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:17 pm 

This is some pretty fucking severe weather. Dehumanizer will be an appropriate soundtrack to the end, I think!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:04 am 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
Are there any really experimental Europower bands? Ones that really seem to have got bored with what they're playing and start just playing about with musical or stylistic lines and boundaries or just shift into something completely different but still impressive, like so many black metal bands seem to have?

Not gonna lie, that sounds awful and I hope it doesn't exist.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:38 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
Are there any really experimental Europower bands? Ones that really seem to have got bored with what they're playing and start just playing about with musical or stylistic lines and boundaries or just shift into something completely different but still impressive, like so many black metal bands seem to have? The closest I get are Angra or Sonata Arctica's Unia, or maybe Crystallion completely morphing to an all-out retro metal band. I still love all my favourite PM stuff, but want something to keep me on my toes here for a change! Sigh's Gallows Gallery is also kind of relevant, although of course they're an example of one of those black metal bands :P

And I also wasn't sure whether it would be best to post this here or in a separate thread.

I love Unia and the latter Angra albums you're talking about. There isn't that much like it, but try Southern Cross - they sort of sound like Angel Dust with the odd structural choices of an album like Unia:

For just generally weird PM, try Taraxacum - this song is the weirdest one, but the others on the album are still pretty individual:

Otherwise, yeah, Arch Nemesis is a good rec. Beyond Twilight is more prog, but the vocals are pretty straightforward PM on each album, so you may like that. For the Love of Art and the Making is their weirdest, try that one out.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 pm 

I recently discovered Manilla Road's Mark of the Beast, and what an impression. I was pretty sure it was gonna be exactly like The Deluge or something, instead I got a laid-back and soft album. I like it. :roll:

failsafeman wrote:
teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
Are there any really experimental Europower bands? Ones that really seem to have got bored with what they're playing and start just playing about with musical or stylistic lines and boundaries or just shift into something completely different but still impressive, like so many black metal bands seem to have?

Not gonna lie, that sounds awful and I hope it doesn't exist.

Case in point: Stratovarius doing dubstep on the latest album.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:31 am 

Aydross wrote:
I recently discovered Manilla Road's Mark of the Beast, and what an impression. I was pretty sure it was gonna be exactly like The Deluge or something, instead I got a laid-back and soft album. I like it. :roll:

Yeah, it takes some getting used to but it's actually become one of my favorites of theirs. It still does get pretty heavy though; "Avatar" is one of the heaviest tracks from their early period.

Aydross wrote:

Oh god, I thought you were joking, but apparently not. Basically instead of a guitar solo during the bridge, there's a...dubstep solo.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:26 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
Hrm, I think the big problem is, as soon as someone starts adding foreign elements or mixing things up, it suddenly becomes "progressive metal" or "power/prog". Its a pity you didn't ask me about this back in 2008 or something - I was obsessed with hunting this stuff back then. :lol:

Angra prove that it is at least possible to bring other things in while retaining a pure PM base! But these seem to fall on the proggy side of progpower if much power at all, yeah. That Arch Nemesis sounded promising though, especially when the female vox came in to shake things up a bit. And the Gregorian chants of Ashes to Ashes was interesting even if the rest of the music itself didn't really seem to grab me so much. Thanks!

Empyreal wrote:
I love Unia and the latter Angra albums you're talking about. There isn't that much like it, but try Southern Cross - they sort of sound like Angel Dust with the odd structural choices of an album like Unia:
For just generally weird PM, try Taraxacum - this song is the weirdest one, but the others on the album are still pretty individual:
Otherwise, yeah, Arch Nemesis is a good rec. Beyond Twilight is more prog, but the vocals are pretty straightforward PM on each album, so you may like that. For the Love of Art and the Making is their weirdest, try that one out.

Southern Cross certainly sounds interesting. Will check them out some more. Taraxacum seem to sound more like one of those hard rock/PM mixes than interesting per se outside of that specific song, but maybe it wasn't clicking with me for some reason. And heh, I'm already familiar with Beyond Twilight! Pretty neat band yeah, whether they're more prog or not. Thanks as well!

failsafeman wrote:
Aydross wrote:

Oh god, I thought you were joking, but apparently not. Basically instead of a guitar solo during the bridge, there's a...dubstep solo.

Pffft, PM bands do that all the time. :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpkiLypDyy8

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:45 pm 

Blind purchase at the local record store, Steel Prophet's Dark Hallucinations - sounds like a cool album so far. Really inventive, jarring guitarwork and some awesome, awesome vocals.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:34 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Blind purchase at the local record store, Steel Prophet's Dark Hallucinations - sounds like a cool album so far. Really inventive, jarring guitarwork and some awesome, awesome vocals.

Excellent album! One of my favorite power metal albums of the 90s. Love the vocals and lead guitar work. "Strange Encounter" and "We are not Alone" are my faves.

I am actually responsible for them covering "The Apparition" on that album. I was putting together a FW tribute disc and selected them to play it (over MYSTIC FORCE, who asked a bit later to do the same song).

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:00 am 

That Strato vid, hahah. I've never seen a cute girl in a Stratovarius shirt, but I guess it might be different in Scandinavia.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 am 

Did anybody of you heavy/power freaks here listen to the new Cloven Hoof album? It's getting some good reviews but what I heard was not really that great. I'm wondering what you guys think.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:58 am 

I heard one song and I think it kinda blows. It's an improvement from 'I'm Your Nemesis' (which was like a NWOBHM Cold Lake). Some riffs of note; but ill-fitting vocals and metalcore undertones. Obviously they've lost the plot - but not to the same extent as before. I'd rather a few more like 'I'm Your Nemesis' because that song was comedy gold.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Finally some company! I've been the sole Steel Prophet fan here for so long now! Get Messiah and Book of the Dead ASAP! Equally fantastic albums! I'm having high expectations for the new album, out July 7th!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:41 pm 

I think DH is a fucking killer album after two listens now. They sound like a perfect integration of Crimson Glory, Fates Warning, Helstar and just a dash of Maiden here and there. I'll check out those other albums, thanks!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:51 pm 

The only good thing Steel Prophet did was a couple of demos in the 80s. If you really think they sound like a perfect integration of Crimson Glory, Fates Warning, and Helstar, you need to listen to that album a few more times.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:01 pm 

Steel Prophet's albums, up to and including Book of the Dead are awesome prog/power metal. I saw them when they played the Powermad Festival in Baltimore with a sort of Helstar band that James Rivera threw together in 2001. They were incredible.

The first single and video from the new album didn't do so much for me....it seemed like a joke and not serious. It is a concept album so maybe I need to listen to it in it's proper context.

Like your reviews?

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:08 pm 

Post demo-era Steel Prophet are laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Mythiasin is literally the only saving grace; the guitar work and songwriting are neutered and powerless, and the whole package is just sterile and boring as fuck.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:10 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
The only good thing Steel Prophet did was a couple of demos in the 80s. If you really think they sound like a perfect integration of Crimson Glory, Fates Warning, and Helstar, you need to listen to that album a few more times.

Fo realz. Not riffy and energetic and powerful at all like any of those aforementioned bands (other than the "Inner Ascendance" demo, it just watered-down, "safe," powerless garbage. There are many europower bands I'd rather listen to, for Christ's sake.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:27 pm 

I don't hear anything safe or powerless or anything in that Steel Prophet album. No clue where you guys are coming from there. Sounds like awesome old school 80s-styled trad metal to me.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:28 pm 

I mean they're trying to be that, sure, but the songwriting just isn't gripping at all. It's very tame to me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:30 pm 

Nah it sounds very fresh and exciting actually. First track "Montag" especially sounds like nothing I've heard in recent memory - wild, atypical guitar stuff going on and some really cool, odd riffing. The drums are absolutely nuts, too, and are more up-front than a lot of their influences. It sounds totally legitimate to me - pure fist-pumping steel.

Even the more traditional verse-chorus type songs just have this weird, bursting energy and fervor to them. The whole sound is just played with great conviction.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:22 pm 

Woodgod wrote:

Probably obvious and maybe not what you want, but the first two Solitude Aeturnus albums?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:33 am 

Empyreal wrote:
No clue where you guys are coming from there.

See what I mean? It's completely obfuscating! It's like the council decided that Steel Prophet should not be liked, no matter what.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:46 am 

Oh well. More Steel Prophet for us anyway!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445 ... 624  Next