* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:05 am 

Lord_Brendan
Spoiler: show
Melt Banana have been known to me for ages, just never checked 'em out. That's a FUCKLOAD of cabling/pedals and shit going on there! I actually liked the vocals, and the delivery, but could I take a whole album of this stuff? Yeah probably not. You're right though, the lyrics don't help at all :lol: to decipher what's going on here, but hey, not really important right? I could imagine a gig with this band being... well, fucking punishing to say the least

My collection

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:28 am 

Crushedrevelation
Yeah I could just imagine the live show. I had the pleasure of watching Cyberne live when they came here (who absolutely blew me away) and talking to the guys later on, they said they had toured with Melt Banana before. Man that would have been an insane night. Sorry about the bad quality video, but this is Cyberne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IpaxiM0XU
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Death157
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:16 pm 

Yahko wrote:

reminds me of a band from the 90's that had a videoclip on MTV in which there is a bowling ball rolling and its all girls and the drummer is a guy, I cant remember the name of the band or the song.

The Breeders - Cannonball

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:10 pm 

The XX - Infinity

Hey look, some indie-tinged stuff I can actually good. Right away the tones these guys get is incredible. Although what they're actually playing is simple, the tone really digs into a lush (although somewhat melancholy) atmosphere. Really echoey and smooth. The guys voice I don't love (a laid back thing that sounds kind of stereotypically indie), but it doesn't really bug me or anything. The girls voice is great, though. It's smooth, sultry and sexy. In the end this is definitely an enjoyable track in a style I usually don't connect to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppR6LcGnkUY

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:59 pm 

Nomeansno - Rags And Bones

I've never actually given blues rock a listen before, but the closest that I have heard is stoner metal/rock. Upon looking up the band though, I was extremely surprised to learn that this is a punk band. For a punk band, it has quite complex instrumentation. Quite an interesting listen, with a very bluesy, memorable main riff. The lyrics are pretty nonsensical, but that hardly matters with a riff as killer as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcKHvPAm8-8

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:13 am 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

Not sure about the band or track title here (I believe it's tOSOL, or something?), but they're eastern European at least by my speculation... What is offered here is some EBM/industroelectronic sonic beating a la Eisbrecher and maybe some slight KMFDM leanings. Though this is clearly more of the underground ilk, and to be perfectly honest, it's not too bad either with the suitably harsh and raw guitar forming a solid core for the rest of the track to wind itself around. The self made clip is, well very amateur (what the hell is the drinking/smoking dude's role?), but that's not necessarily a terrible thing as the actual track itself, while sounding a little unformed and rough around the edges most certainly get's it angry, volatile message across, though I have NO idea what they're on about. They also seem to carry a sense of 90's authenticity about themselves. Quite okay really for what it is.

In direct contrast, I give you this.. I am in love with the vocalist of this band...

My collection

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:41 am 

Ladytron - 90 Degrees

Electronica with icy, cool vocals. The song would fit well as some background music to some sci-fi movie. On its own, it's a great track. The vocals are definitely the standout with its calm and cool delivery. The syths give the sound a dreamy quality that give the song its space-y atmosphere. It definitely made me seek out more songs from this artist.

Now please tell me what you think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_en0vmIAg4

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:49 am 

Anakin- Send/Receive

A nice, pleasing, big and punchy radio rock song. Nothing offensive in anyway, but also not particularly grabbing or memorable. The production is a bit copy/paste(not too ironic): a big, punchy, compressed kick drum with a touch of compressed reverb on the snare and big, compressed guitars with a nice hefty sound. Everything is big and well mixed, with the unimpressive vocals well processed and layered unobtrusively into the mix. Probably a pro job done in a few hours with some self created Pro Tools presets, but it works. Songwriting wise, it's just solid mid-paced radio caliber rock without any real standout qualities but very listenable. Good background tune that doesn't distract but is warm and pleasing. I give it a thumbs up, but I'll never listen to it again

I've been obsessed with this song for a while now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14FqfE92yK8

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:55 am 

Archers of Loaf - Web in Front

Sorry dude, I didn't like this at all. When it first came on I wasn't looking at the tab and assumed it was stock music for some lame commercial. Came off to me as incredibly boring college rock type stuff. Mildly quirky in the safest way possible. Pretty standard songwriting and unremarkable instrumentation. Can't say I care for the lead singer and his misplaced attempts at charisma. There is nothing overtly egregious about this, I guess it just kind of got to me how aggressively average this was. Don't mean to be too dickish about this, just didn't like it in the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYZjXJFTBS8

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:29 pm 

Augustus Pablo - Africa

Hmmmm. Interesting to say the least. I've never heard dub or reggae really before, so this is a first. The whole thing is kinda jazzy, and stays interesting all the way through. Contrary to the title, it doesn't sound anything like Africa in the slightest. Sits nicely in the background for easy listening, but can be listened to up front if you want to analyze it. No vocals to speak of, but it didn't need any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmhbgig ... 144F7C4E87

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:24 am 

Koto: "Phenomenon Choir"

This starts off sounding like something from Kraftwerk's Komputerwelt album...specifically, I think it's the song "Computer Love"...different note arrangement, but the phrasing and synth tone are exactly the same. We then get a drop into a steady dance beat. It's not too quick and it all sounds gloriously 80s. I don't know what this is...early house music? THis might though be some kind of new tribute type act, because the next video that started playing was called "THe Mind Machine" and confirmed my suspicion through title and robot voice that they're really big on the Kraftwerk homages. Anyway, I enjoyed the bassline very much and it made me feel like I should be doing something active rather than sitting at my work desk. Or failing that, maybe driving a sports car with the top open and my hair whipping in the breeze. It's all a bit repetitive as it cycles round and round the same themes three times or so, but it's short and doesn't overstay its welcome. I love that moogish sound. We return to a brief restatement of the quasi-"Computer Love" theme before the piece closes without much flourish. Not bad...

Keeping the tempo going:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9uIHjbt8zw
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:09 am 

Scott Walker - Nite Flights

I had no idea who this artist was. When the music came on and the vocals came in, it reminded me of Bowie. The song progressively became better as it played on. It sounds like a precursor to the electro-pop of the '80s, only more mature sounding. I found out Bowie recorded a cover of this song, which I have not heard previously. I didn't like the song at first, initially brushing it off as some lame electronic music. But it became better and better as I listened more intently. I like the swathes of keyboards that fill the entire song and the bass sounds great as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvuleShKbEE

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:07 am 

Immortal666 wrote:

Man, I wish I could find something really positive to write about this, but I think I'm going to fail here... Anyway here is Cold Water Flat, a band who I have never heard of at all before, and based on this alone it won't make me search any further. This exhibits all the usual traits of mid-nineties grunge/indie/alt rock all gloriously fused together in that sense of naive wonder, filled with a heavy burden of bitterness almost beyond their young, middle-class upbringing. That aside, the music itself is, of course, well rather dull for mine, hardly engaging at all really (the guitar sound is sort of ok though), and sounds like it wants to emulate someone else... The vocalist reminds me of someone that I can't put my finger on, with his cries for freedom, as do the laid-back chord progressions/bass lines. Overall this was quite insipid, and not something I could get into at all I'm afraid.

My go.

My collection

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:56 am 

Dead can Dance - "anywhere out of the world"

An amazing act, completely in a category of their own. "Within the realm of a dying sun" is probably my favourite of their albums, sitting as it does kinda halfway between their goth roots and the world music which (sadly, IMO) took over their sound later in their career. Starting with the kind of lush choral Ahhhhhh which has been overdone as intros to a million metal albums, it's soon overtaken by a rhythmic bassline and chiming keyboard...and then Brendan Perry's amazing voice kicks in. It's a beautifully simple track carried by the vocals and keys on the whole. If you dont own this album, you need to do so immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1-Vvm-3lQ0

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:42 pm 

Neil Young - Mr. Soul

Been meaning to get more into Neil Young. I'll give Harvest a spin every now and again and I'm familiar with a few of his other songs but in general haven't explored his discography very much at all. I know (through my dad talking about him) that he's done quite a few weird experiments, but this is definitely the Neil Young. A nice acoustic tune (performed live) with excellent use of the harmonica. Not really all that much to say about this because there's not much sonically unique about it; what makes this really good is the great songwriting. Very memorable and a good melody in the vocals. I'll have to get around to checking more of his stuff out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yHMBAceOA

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 am 

Bop Alloy feat. Cise Star & Mr. SOS- Another Day In The Life

Won't draw on too much describing this tune - it's hip-hop based on a piano melody halfway between melancholic and hopeful (very Japanese in tone and capable of making a presence in lotsa shonen stuff if somebody required an adequate melody to accentuate the wide-eyed/trashy romanticism of one of those productions) - and the beat is rather banal in sound, however becoming occasionally asymmetric and bearing some pleasant tambourine accompaniment and sparse fills. The lyrics, which should be the essential part of this song, belong mostly to the contemplative shiznit generator, quasi-phenomenological considerations on existence and personal development. All in all, good music for the workplace, at least for some people, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk6B2kDljas

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 pm 

Ween: "Mister, Would you Please Help my Pony?"

hahahah, it's Ween! Heard this song many many years ago. Wrote the band off as novelty music and not worth my time despite obvious talent. Then a funny thing happened...I was at a friend's wedding in the country and was staying in a lodge with this friend of his, and he put this album on his laptop that started off with a song that sounded exactly like Motorhead, but clearly wasn't. "Hey now, what's this?" I asked. "It's Ween! My favourite band!" said he with unbridled enthusiasm. I believe it was the Quebec album with the song "It's Gonna be a Long Night", and indeed, that was the only Motorhead-ish track on there, but as we listened to these eclectic sounds he filled my head with information about these weirdos and their cleverness and multiple talents. And I had to admit that, novelty music or no, I was finding the whole thing rather enjoyable.

Now then, this is an earlier song, from the point at which they stopped essentially being a two-man bedroom project with fake drums and everything and turned into a real formidable studio entity and live act. You could almost say that they "got serious", although with these guys that doesn't entirely seem appropriate. Totally goofy lyrics, a willingness to play just about any style of music you can imagine and a sometimes really puerile sense of humour describes these guys pretty well. They would probably belong on a compilation with Frank Zappa, Primus and The Residents. Here we have an almost late 60s rock-sounding tune with heavily chorused vocals and some jazzy guitar lines. There's an organ wheedling away sweetly and what's up with the pony, is really anyone's guess. Nice guitar solo; reminds me of Steely Dan on one of their later albums! They get tired of the whole thing after the third or fourth chorus and just stop, completely without fanfare. Well, these goofs are quite a lark, but an entertaining and skilled one, for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODWYJyJh6cg

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:16 pm 

Gentle Giant - Pantagruel's Nativity

Well, here we have a band to which I admit that I haven't paid as much attention as I have to other names of the same era, such as Gong, Soft Machine, High Tide, Henry Cow, Frank Zappa or quite a bunch of the krautrock acts that were blooming (Ash Ra Tempel, old Kraftwerk, Can...) but I have found enjoyable during the few listens that I gave their self-titled...
Pantagruel's Nativity, based on an event from one of my fave books, starts with a cool passage (done on Ondes Martenot, I think...?) that precedes a spacey Zappa-flavored (mostly due to the winds and brass involved) lament punctuated by elaborate vocal harmonies and rather non-show-offish steady drumming. It is notable how the guitar riffs make the music turn from relatively serene towards dark, albeit not flat-out menacing. The second half of the song gets a bit jazzier sounding, not unlike some stuff from Hot Rats, and less rigidly solemn, especially due to the intervention of the vibraphone which lends an aura of whimsy to the whole mourning and the much more extroverted guitar soloing. Oddly, during the two final playing minute this evokes Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom to my ears, though that album was released notably later than this one. Not as energetic and fucked up as a Gong, Ash Ra or Atomic Rooster tune, but definitely atmospheric and has some memorable moments without relying on sheer instrumental prowess or high volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VgEQtrlnp4

Last edited by TripeOverload on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:25 pm 

@TripeOverload
Thank goodness you posted about that song before I did, you came up with a much better review of it. Mine was pretty pathetic.

James Chance & the Contortions - Don't Want To Be Happy

Obviously jazz of some type (free jazz, maybe?). Quite atonal, and VERY strange sounding. I honestly have not heard much jazz besides jazz fusion, so every bit of exposure I can get will do some good. Suffice to say, I cannot come up with any words for this, except to point out how brain bending it is. It's like an exposure to knowledge mankind was not meant to know, if you know what I mean. Weird, weird, weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmH8Qd3nZvM

Crick wrote:

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:26 pm 

Naw, there is weirder stuff out there - to be accurate, this is one of the so-called no wave bands of the end of the seventies, appeared as a reaction against punk and new wave. At least the Contortions got tamer and funkier in time...

Now, proceeding to...
Mike Mareen - Don't Talk To The Snake

Bwoy, I almost wish this would have been made at least one year earlier. No clear idea why, but anyway... this is one good piece of the old German dance sound. And yes, it sounds more imaginative than Modern Talking (probably because this is the first and only song that I hear from the guy?), with a driving beat and the mandatory organ accompaniment, topped with layers of whirring and woozing distorted synth melodies and even several "what the fuck" episodes, particularly one of the solo bits around the 5th minute mark, consisting of chirping high pitched noises that were more than probably based on, if not lifted from a Pong game, and a... man, fucking sleazy sounding sax bit (yet that does not necessarily equal bad!). The lyrics are represented by several recurrent verses that are concerned with the importance of humanity and shit like that above plain social status, though in a cheesy way - still, it's not Kinks stuff that we are talking about here, it's 80's dance, so shut your hole and move those legs. The vocals can get pretty intense and grumpy at times, the guy would have fit in Sodom if he had been more concerned with slaughters than getting the ladies to shake it. The tune ends on a high note with a distorted synth climax. Not as yummy as Gibson Brothers' Cuba, but it makes me wanna drink. Who am I kidding, almost any listenable song will make me want to drink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_F-lG3OC_0

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:53 pm 

Royal Trux - Morphic Resident

This is awesome besides one thing. The vocals used on the verses are kind of annoying. They're really obnoxious and bratty and it kind of seems like there's some awful effect used on them. I'm pretty sure they're female but not 100%. Besides that, really cool tune. Bitching lead guitar work, and not too shabby on the rhythm guitar, either. The chorus is insanely catchy. I guess this is the sort of stuff the 'alternative rock' tag was used on before it was ruined by corporate radio. Even though I didn't like that one vocal style, I have to say on the whole, the rest of the song makes up for that. Interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-9mCAA1YYY

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 am 

Yep, you nailed it! Neat work. I was pretty sure that the guitar and the chorus would be highly appreciated. :D
Regarding them vocals... oddly, there was no effect on them, they were just one guy and one chick, and the chick was (still is) a pretty fucking hard smoker. Guess the bratty nuance comes partially from her, well, struggling to manage those notes and keep her breath, you know? 't was cool to me anyway. This kind of stuff makes me feel so warm inside, it is good old rock n' roll fun. Nice to see folks digging old catchy ditties. Oh yeah, and speaking of corporate intervention, some funny shit: Virgin Records actually produced this album! Total commercial failure.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:39 am 

The Flaming Lips: "Are You a Hypnotist??"

I've wanted to listen to more stuff from this band for a while and just didn't really know where to start. The music isn't as goofy as the song-title would suggest, and is, instead, rather beautiful and, well, hypnotic. An affected guitar plays gentle psychedelic notes throughout, and there's an underpinning of keyboard washes, soft but layered vocals and an excellent slow but groovy drum beat (groove here defined as using the bass drum and hi-hat appropriately). The chorus was a real swelling of sound and the whole thing is rather gentle and alluring, with a peaceful, comforting sound that isn't in any way cloying or overbearing. I got a Pink Floyd vibe from this, circa Dark Side of the Moon especially because of that guitar effect (might be done with a wah, actually) that reminds me of the title track from that album, as well as those vocals. Nice track, I'll find the album and give it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDRF8TuFic

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:48 pm 

Oh, me, me (again)!

The God Machine - Purity

I might have a clue on what made me really want to write some lines about this song: the stark resemblance between its first half and a Dirty Three song. Though Dirty Three emerged several years later than this act, about which I hadn't heard anything until now. Basically, this song is a rather contemplative piece that evolves in a manner similar to that of Velvet Underground's Ocean from the Live 69 recordings. The first half of the song is an assortment of repetitive folksy patterns played on acoustic guitar and violin (or viola...?) which may sound alright on its own but comes off as fade and rigid in comparison to the much more expansive approach that Dirty Three would take on their albums.
However, the second half of the song, a crystalline explosion of cathartic electric riffing (how many epithets can a pretentious douche cram in a single line?), more than makes up for the rigid introduction, accompanied by vocals that sound detached and serene without being absent. The drum sound is also remarkably well done, pounding without any goofy detours like beaten pans or roaring thunder, it is simply perfect. Quite hard to expose the details since the song structure is so damn simple within a song that is eight - oh, shit, nine minutes long (and ends with a fade out sequence, no sudden halt), but again, give this and Velvet Underground's live Ocean a spin and you'll have an idea of the power of simplicity paired with repetition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SD-uF8uisA

By the way, c'mon, folks, show a little more spirit, what the heck.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:37 am 

@Abom

That Flaming Lips album is pretty good, their commercial breakthrough for sure, but I dig the one just before it (which is in a similar style) even more: The Soft Bulletin. I think you'd probably also dig their earlier, noisier stuff a lot, too. They've also got really weird experimental stuff like Zaireeka, which has four discs meant to be played simultaneously in four different stereos.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:02 am 

I'll go ahead and second the Soft Bulletin (although I think I like Yoshimi just a little bit more). Great synth work and some really good beats on that one; not to mention top notch songwriting.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:36 am 

The Stooges - "TV Eye"

This is like ground zero. The Ur-punk. You could maybe say there were a few other contenders - MC5, Television, Radio Birdman etc, but "Funhouse" is really where it's at as far as this stuff goes. Totally driving, deliberately brutish hard rock without any reference to anything except the amphetamine logic of everything at once, louder, faster, more. One of the first nails in the coffin of hippie culture - there's no "peace and love" in the Stooges. They may wanna be your dog, but it's a dog that bites the hand that feeds. Great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVjgRlto8PI

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:55 am 

DJ Krush - Kemuri

As far as my knowledge of turntablism electronica and related matter goes, I admit to being something of a n00b, not brutally n00bish but a greenhorn. I mean, sure, I know 2 or three names, and I had heard of Krush too, but I hadn't listened to anything by him, until now...
...and, man, these are some dope beats to boot. The good old low and slightly echo-y three beat repetition pattern topped with a generous serving of miniature improvisations including overlapping beats and all that turntable magic. The main melody is infectiously haunting, it's extremely simple and gets stuck in your head right from its first seconds. When dealing with persons like me, that's quite an achievement since I usually have to listen to something at least 2 times before memorizing anything. This one is definitely a winner and preserves the format of many pop/rock/metal songs, ascending slowly til it reaches the climax at the middle of the piece (and it's a pretty groovy one here, providing a nice bombardment of buzzes SANS fucking dubstep and reverberating languid tones and changing the rhythm to something that somehow resembles Sabbath's Children Of The Grave!), and then returning quietly to the initial pace and flowing to the end. I might prefer the instrumentals to some of Dalek's pieces to this, but it's still a great listen, and something to dig further into as I did with the Samurai Champloo soundtrack... Oh, and the video is also a nice job, to the point without delving into arena deejay bullshit. Hard to find videos that don't have at least one shitty moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmwBB67VDI

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:13 pm 

Reverend Horton Heat- Baddest of the Bad

Gotta say, I was impressed with the track. When I first saw it loading, I immediately groaned: I know RHH fans, and I find them as obnoxious as any Mal-Goth or Fakemo kid out there. So I came in with low expectations.

But boy, was a wrong. This is a rousing track, with some really fantastic guitar work and surprising aggression. Comes off initially as a very nasty, aggressive Punkish Alt-Rock song, but by 1:28 it turned into a snippet of fucking Black Metal. At first it made me laugh, but it really is killer. I love the guitar work in general: very tight but also very nasty, with a nice guitar tone and surprising tightness. The drums and bass fill the roles well, and the vocals fit, but this is a tight little Punkish Rock song with some interesting stuff going on. I might have to re-evaluate this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPf4EgnwMXs

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:42 pm 

Silver Jews - How to Rent a Room

Y'know, it's hard to put my finger on exactly what it is, but as much as I like Pavement and their shambling country-ish stuff (though I always preferred their noisier early stuff...), I could never really get into the Silver Jews. I think maybe David Berman just sounds too...earnest? I guess you're starting to see how vague my dissatisfaction with the band is when that's the sort of complaint I come up with, hah. Anyway this is a fine enough song that should definitely appeal to fans of that later-era Pavement stuff or things like Uncle Tupelo or Wilco: shuffling acoustic guitar chords and drum beats with meandering clean electric guitar melodies. The understated organ that hovers just barely within earshot is nice, too. I really do wish I liked them more, but it is what it is, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owNtZIn7L4A

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:22 pm 

Built To Spill - Carry The Zero

The influence of My Bloody Valentine/Pixies' snaky post-surf rock riffs on Modest Mouse's godfathers is pretty darn obvious particularly in the beginning of this song, albeit sweetened thanks to a more lighthearted ambiance and cleaner guitars (cleaner than those of MBV). It's an accessible and agile style of alternative rock, and the vivid interplay between guitars is as pleasant as ever. Very little to say in terms of pyrotechnics, just like in the Mouse's case, emotion takes the front seat but that does not mean the band cannot jam hard, releasing more and more tension within the last two minutes with the increasingly frantic guitars and groaning bass. As for the vocal part, it would be insincere of me to state that it elicits any special reaction from me, it is an alright vocal performance for any average alternative band, and less neurotic than the ones that Modest Mouse's vocal put out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEda6V4wjRw

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:56 pm 

TripeOverload wrote:

What the unholy fuck was this noisy mess I just listened to? :scratch:

This sounds like some kind of discarded noise that even Kurt Cobain would have left on the editing room floor, or Jimmy Hendrix's worst, drug and alcohol fueled trip outs into utter madness. This was not cool. Harsh, noisy and "inventive" are the best words I can use to describe this. The tribal, pulsating drums propel this along, keeping some sort of cohesion while the cycling, scratchy guitar... "riff" or rhythm pattern holds the rest in check. Underneath all of this is some kind of warbled vocals mostly carrying on about something that's mute, not sure what it is exactly as the lyrics are not discernible to my ears. Occasionally there is some other guitar noises (for lack of a better term) that would probably pass for lead work I guess, if it wasn't so shitty, punctuated by some louder chords that rudely crash the party. Certainly not something I would seek out, or even want to in my spare time. Is this guy some sort of hipster hero? Not my bag at all I'm afraid.

My go.

My collection

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:07 am 

@Crushed

I admit, though I do not agree, I dig your criticism. :lol: I'm not a Caspar Brotzmann maniac, so I was rather selective when picking the song - there are enough lesser songs in his repertory. As for the hipster magnet qualification, he's the son of Peter Brotzmann, one of the greatest sax players in Euro free jazz, so it seems he inherited a serious bit of contempt towards conventional melodies and tones, and though he isn't a hipster's musician, I guess that there are enough concerts where hipsters may gather (just like folks gathering at classy big band bullshit to see some high society pussy and show their great taste in music, folks also gather at avant-noise fests cause they are so brainy).

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:24 pm 

blvck ceiling - girl money

ok this is strange... i guess it's some kind of goth electronica, has that "spooky" nine inch nails vibe to it (although i'm sure a genre insider could point out to me that it sounds NOTHING like them, haha). there's only really like 3 chords, and it's fairly unobtrusive - just kinda plods along in the background. it's ambient enough to make for the sort of thing you can listen to while you spend a full day writing an essay, etc. not bad in any way, but not very memorable and far too trenchcoat-subculturey for me. one odd point though: the lyrics are, oddly, 100% lifted from a lily allen song (which is a catchy tune in itself) and i think that might've actually worked in this song's favour for me, cause i already know the lily allen track and kinda identified with this one a little more because of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLBFEFsJOHA

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:07 pm 

Pennywise - Waste Of Time

Oh, well... the few moments in my early years when I enjoyed pop punk are now anything but absent, but I'll give it to the guys in the band: it's tight musicianship we're talking about, unlike the flabbier tunes from Blink 182, Sum41 and whatever other shit like that. Another bright point is also the fact that these sonorities are influenced by Husker Du, who were always a great band (and I adored their Warehouse too, a thing less often encountered amongst the more "hardcore" ears) - even though devoid of Husker Du's awesome melodic craft. The song structure is really simple: verse-chorus-bass/drum break, and it drains some of the charm, but the biggest problem is the rather inoffensive guitar tone. As for the vocals, they are perfect as they are, since they are not as grating as I had expected.

This band really had to make at least one appearance here. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vko1EMzmOd0

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:46 pm 

Cocteau Twins - Need Fire

This is my first exposure to 90's Cocteau Twins. Really bizarre that they were on the Judge Dredd soundtrack of all things, and it also vaguely weirds me out that this band was apparently more commercially successful in the 90's than the 80's. While I was expecting a massive departure from their ethereal 80's sound, this was surprisingly similar, with Elizabeth Fraser's trademark high-pitched, breathy vocals intact if somewhat more intelligible than she tended to be on the 80's material. At the same time, it does have a very distinctly 90's vibe going on in the instrumentation - kind of like a mixture of old Cocteau Twins and something that wouldn't be out of place on the radio next to Seal or Savage Garden or something like that. Still, it could be much, much worse and was pleasant enough, though I think I prefer their even dreamier older stuff to this by a fair bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-74YZuvBhs

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:36 am 

@iamntbatman
It's an almost universally recognized fact that the 80's CT's stuff was more exciting than their 90's one, indeed. I, for one, am a sucker for their Head Over Heels and Treasure and I'd say Liz Fraser is one of the greatest female vocalists in pop/rock.

And now, for Radiohead... I mean, Black Heart Procession - My Heart Might Stop

This seems an interesting act from a conceptual standpoint (all song titles that I've seen read like a cardiologist's wet dream, with the word "heart" being ubiquitous) and from a label standpoint (Touch & Go was quite a competent label at the end of the eighties and the beginning of the nineties), however, the intrigue comes to a brutal halt right from the third second of the song, when we are treated to what sounds way too close to a Radiohead bowl of noodles re-used for a bowling ball, minus the shitload of studio gimmicks employed by the Radios. A Tim Burton-esque melancholy piece, dominated by the piano melodies and the vocals of Thom Yorke's doppelganger and with a background populated by Scooby Doo's arch enemies, this would summarize the song quite adequately, I'd say. The dry, Morriconesque guitar excursions are unfortunately way too subdued to save the song, so the only essence that remains is Radiohead's post-"If" (that Pink Floyd song) egocentrism and strangely unemotional emotionalism, failing where acts like Low, The The and Songs:Ohia succeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjFtbGKqFk

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:14 am 

Miles Davis - Rated X

I admit I had no clue what I would be listening to when I saw the name in the video. I mean, everybody associates His holy name with jazz, but what's jazz? The first thing that came to my mind was a brass ensemble playing with a saxofonist and a drummer, maybe some guitars and probably a bass, and some mind blowing grooves. As I'm not a fan, I was really clueless about it. Then I clicked play.
So, this is way more interesting than what I had in mind. It sounds like noisy ambient music over breakbeat drumming. Something you would expect amidst IDM tracks, even resembling instrumental hip hop.
It's cacophonic, with an organ over some noise background and some percussion, but it's a pleasant listen. It's also unpredictable, chaotic. A must listen. Glad I picked this one, maybe I should start exploring Miles Davis now, better late than never.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcSNZ3tA1Mw
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:18 am 

M‡яc▲ll▲ - Şpєcŧr▲l

Yeah, nah.

I listen to a shitload of electronic music, and this just sounds like "I downloaded ableton from pirate bay last week and now I'm a producer". It's technically ok, but boring as shit. We start off with some samples, then get literally the same "skipping" drum effect that everyone uses these days. It kinda builds up with some ultra generic VST plugin synths, but literally goes nowhere - same beat, same synth lines, just a couple of different samples moving through. Ultimately, it's like finding a 40 foot high sculpture of Pee-wee Hermann in the depths of the desert. You can see that technically it's quite decent, but the utter pointlessness of the exercise trumps any appreciation of the execution. This strikes me as the kind of thing that someone might think is pretty cool if it was like the first or second thing "like" this they had come across. Kinda like someone enthusiastically telling you how much they love Coverdale/Page having never heard Led Zeppelin.....once the astonishment that someone would rate it passes, you're left trying to decide if the choice is a result of some strange twist of fate, unfortunate mental deficit or something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjW3MT8D9RY

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:26 am 

@Scorntyrant
About the part of having just discovered this kind of sound, you are completely right: I'm completely clueless about house, other kinds of electronic and whatnot, and yeah, I found this cool probably because I wasn't overexposed to similar sounding artists :P
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next