Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:58 pm 

Awesome, it's ridiculous how fun drums are!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:09 pm 

Subrick wrote:
What kit did you get?

Pearl Forum series - kick, floor tom, two rack toms, hi-hats and crash with stands, and a Tama drum throne. It's missing the kick and hat pedals, and one of the cymbals, one leg from the floor tom, the wing nut for the top of one cymbal, and the snare. The kick pedal would be the first thing I'd want to upgrade in a kit like this, so that's not too bad, I'll look for a used double bass pedal. It's missing a fair amount, but it's the majority of a kit and simply getting one was the biggest thing keeping me from starting, and the price was right.

I came across it at a massive tag sale that the Boy Scouts held at their cabin in Darien (whitepeoplesville, USA) and it was marked at $150 - way too much was missing at that price, so I talked them down a bit, then walked away to browse through other stuff. They had around half an acre of tents, open air, and inside the building, so there was plenty to look through. We found some really cool stuff, including an antique hygrometer sword that's actually a *sword* - not just a metal stick with a gauge, it looks like a sword. After finding some other really cool stuff, I let them know I was leaving and they took my offer of $80 for it. I don't know a whole lot about drums, but I was pretty confident that it was a good price for what I was getting.

edit: Also, new Evans heads on the hitting sides, they look nearly untouched. Looks like the resonator heads are the original Pearl ones.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:02 pm 

Hope you have fun with it!

Well I was waiting around to see when I can return a head to be fixed I recorded vocals for a death metal album I wrote last year. 3 people were offered to do vocals and bass or just bass. None bothered. So I sat and wrote everything lyrically and did it in 50mins. Oh so hard.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:32 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I let them know I was leaving and they took my offer of $80 for it. I don't know a whole lot about drums, but I was pretty confident that it was a good price for what I was getting.

Have you priced out the replacement parts yet? I have no idea what say a missing floor tom leg costs to replace, so I am curious as to how you'd feel about the deal after figuring it all out, but $80 doesn't sound at all bad.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:35 pm 

There's a three set of Gibraltar floor tom legs on Musician's Friend for $17. When you get to stuff like that, you don't need super fancy, expensive stuff at all. I'm gonna assume the bass drum isn't virgin and the tom arms go right into the kick? If so, get a tom stand ASAP and put a plate over the hole where the tom arm holder goes on the kick. Virgin kicks sound a squillion times better than non-virgin kicks, and it'll significantly reduce tom vibration, thus significantly reducing snare vibration as well.

Also, if you ever end up upgrading in the Pearl family, get a Masters kit with the Optimount tom arm system, the same as I use. It's the same type of tom arm on all the other Pearl kits, except the arms aren't going into the drum itself and there's no hole in the drum drilled for it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:38 pm 

I've been looking at snares and kick pedals, so far I've determined that I'm probably going to spend way too much on a double kick pedal, compared to the cost of the rest, and my best bet on a cheap snare is to find a used one locally. I'm not in a rush, so I'm going to try to pick up the remaining parts used and fairly cheap. I'll see if I can trade for them, as I have a few inexpensive acoustic guitars that I fixed which would probably be good trade-fodder for cheap drums.

The toms mount into the kick drum, I figured that's not ideal for good sound, but I'm primarily going to be using this kit to learn how to play drums. I planned on just getting a steel rod that fits through the hole on the tom and using that, not even a real tom leg. :lol: The missing parts would be really expensive on their own, but I'm fine just cobbling it together as cheaply as possible - the main reason I didn't just buy a complete drum kit was that I'm trying to do it cheap while I learn a bit about it - I really appreciate the advice because I wouldn't have known the significance of things like virgin/non-virgin kicks. Much like guitars, I'll start with something cheap that I can wreck and learn to fix.

...except double bass pedals. I assume cheap, no-name ones kinda suck and don't hold much value, so I'm thinking about investing in a used Iron Cobra or DW3000. That'll have to wait though, as on Monday I found out that I don't work this entire week thus don't get paid next week.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:14 pm 

Find a cheap, used DW double pedal. DWs are much better than ICs in my opinion, both in terms of playability and feel.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:29 am 

I think it's all a matter of opinion with pedals what feels great to you. I hate DW's they feel like floppy shit. Love Iron Cobras I prefer them over the Axis pedals I used to have as well. I like the double chain drive ones. TO me they are far far far more superior in playablility and feel.

also don't knock cheap hundred dollar pedals either after the longest time I started using some no name 100 dollar one because it was left at a show and I decided to bring that for some shows we played so I didn't have to haul the 2nd kick drum and that was mainly cause we had no room. We had lost the van at that point and they stood up amazingly well and I also started recording at home at that point so a ton of my recordings in 10-11 was with that pedal till it fell apart. So for starting out I really do recommend you get that. practice, get up your feel for what you like with it and then invest in a higher grade pedal.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:00 pm 

I've recorded with ICs before, but the main reason I'm not really that big on them is they are way too heavy feeling for my tastes. It's like trying to play drums with a brick strapped to your foot. Also, because I play barefooted the pronounced lettering on the pedal board adds an extra layer of weird feelings to using those pedals. But hey, different strokes and all that. I've heard the Speed Cobras are really good though.

You remember what that no name 100 buck double pedal was?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:12 pm 

See that's what I like. I fucking hate light feeling pedals. I used to play barefoot and I played with iron cobra. I now play in my work boots and I still like iron cobra. You need some more muscle in your legs!

I still have them thrown somewhere in my shed I'll take a look and let you know. I want to say Pacific.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:30 pm 

I elevated press 300 lbs. I've got more than enough muscle in my legs.

Pacific I wouldn't consider no name since DW makes them. Their stuff is generally alright, if always stigmatized by it being DW's budget line. Still, a piece of budget equipment made by DW is on the level of many mid-tier pieces from other companies.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:37 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I elevated press 300 lbs. I've got more than enough muscle in my legs.

Pacific I wouldn't consider no name since DW makes them. Their stuff is generally alright, if always stigmatized by it being DW's budget line. Still, a piece of budget equipment made by DW is on the level of many mid-tier pieces from other companies.

I can do 600, so you need more. Hell i squat more than your elevated press.

Pacific is a no name to me cause I had never heard of them till I picked them up by chance. I don't get into drum gear aside I get what works for me and I don't care outside of that.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:43 pm 

I only just started at the gym two months ago, so I think 300 is perfectly acceptable for that progression of time. I'm not a huge fan of squatting, so I don't do that as much.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:49 pm 

I'm fucking with you from the begining. I really don't care what it is you lift or whatever. hahaha cause honestly it doesn't translate as much as you would think to your playing. Cardio like biking and eleptical will do far more for your legs than just weights. upper body lifting... yea that does make a difference in playing, at least does for me.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:55 pm 

Do heavier-feeling pedals help with harder hitting on the kick drum?

The main reason I was thinking of starting with something like an IC or DW3000 was that if I get a decent deal on one of those used, I think it'll hold its value much better than a generic no-name brand pedal.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:59 pm 

To me it does. Maybe not to subrick, honestly you need to go sit down and play them at guitar center.

and drum gear doesn't hold up a ton regardless of what it is. all depends on wear. cymbals hold more value that I see.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:04 pm 

Zodi: Oh it absolutely will. A name brand that you know is well made and sturdy is the way to go rather than taking a chance with a budget pedal that could be a total piece of crap IMO. As for feeling, it depends on what you're playing. If you're going for fast extreme metal, then a light, direct drive pedal is the way to go. Axis is perfect for that. Slower stuff will do better with chain drive pedals because of the "slapping" feel you get, and since you're a beginner I say go for a chain drive pedal. Learn to use a shortboard before a longboard. When it comes to pedal weight, utilizing it effectively all comes down to personal preference and skill level.

But yeah, do what SLK said and try out some pedals at Guitar Center.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:08 pm 

Still working on a track, that I had scrapped. But after a few months had passed, it sounded okay. Been working on a couple of outro`s to said song, been evolving this over the last few weeks. Which I hope gives the ending an atmospheric ambient sound...Just hope my computer lives long enough to record song!! :panda:

Also my band got played on our local rock show, I never believed I would here my music on comercial radio :hail:

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:14 pm 

Thoughts on Pearl double pedals? From my close to zero experience I liked IC the most and then Pearl and preferred chain drives. I picked up a P902 since I liked its feel, and that is as far as I have gotten to assembling my kit, I'm the opposite of Zodi.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:22 pm 

Also don't directly take subrick's word that you would need a lighter pedal for more extreme metal and faster stuff. It's all in the ability to play. I say it's 80% the drummer 20% the gear. I have played plenty of fast work using Iron Cobras. As such my double bass speed is 780 bpm. It didn't increase when I went to axis, just stayed the same and I had to adjust how I played in order to fully utilize them. It wasn't my natural playing so I didn't like it as much and eventually they actually fell apart from use.

I found em alright.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:35 pm 

Oh yea went and recorded 2 Corpse Arise songs. wanted to do more but earlier I decided I wanted to feel what a table saw feels like ripping through a finger. So I did. Also recorded vocals for 3 Dragunov songs for a split.

Anyway also did this soundtest:

http://youtu.be/NGtPpcrgGks

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:01 pm 

I also have an Iron Cobra and like it, though I haven't tried anything else except two cheapos when I was starting out. Plus my double bass speed is only 779 bpm and I can only squat my body weight. :)

About good cymbals holding value, yeah I've had a Sabian Paragon china and Zildjian new beat hats for 10 years now, still no cracks in them. Before I got those, I bought a cheap china that lasted only a few months before getting a crack in it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:46 pm 

See it goes to show you it's the drummer behind the kit, not the kit itself.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:41 pm 

Well, it appears that the new-looking Sabian crash that came with this kit is worth as much as I paid for the whole kit. I'm surprised that cymbals last 10 years, I've always thought that they broke due to wear. Perhaps drumming isn't as expensive as I thought!

(it is)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:04 pm 

Oh it is by far. some break some last doesn't matter cost at least not to me. I've broken 50 dollar cymbals in a month i've broken brand new 400 dollar cymbals in a month. it's also how you play, the size sticks.

It's just like guitars there is upkeep, might not be as often as guitar cause it tends to be small amounts often with guitar and drums it's huge expense not as often.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:03 pm 

Worked on a guy's cab I'm building for him.

recorded 3 Corpse Arise songs for the full length and then spent a chunk of time mixing down the new Mountain of Beard album fully. on the last song right now as a sound check. I'm pleased thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqVWnai8vYs

^^A track from it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:24 pm 

Well I got a job at a guitar store, it's a pretty relaxed job spent pretending to be busy so you don't get caught slacking off. I walk around with a cloth and pretend to take guitars down from the wall to wipe them down, then play them when no one's looking. Another way to get to play is recommend certain guitars to customers and then proceed to 'demo' it for them ;)

1 song more to write/learn/arrange plus a cover song and the third Oshiego album will be ready to be recorded, can't wait. The songs are somewhat simpler but with arguably more mature songwriting. Less 100 mph death-thrash more doomy grooviness.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 pm 

BOO MORE 100MPH DEATH THRASH NEEDED

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:03 pm 

somefella wrote:
Well I got a job at a guitar store, it's a pretty relaxed job spent pretending to be busy so you don't get caught slacking off. I walk around with a cloth and pretend to take guitars down from the wall to wipe them down, then play them when no one's looking. Another way to get to play is recommend certain guitars to customers and then proceed to 'demo' it for them ;)

1 song more to write/learn/arrange plus a cover song and the third Oshiego album will be ready to be recorded, can't wait. The songs are somewhat simpler but with arguably more mature songwriting. Less 100 mph death-thrash more doomy grooviness.

I remember one time I was playing the main riff from "I'm Broken" on a Stratocaster out of a Line 6 at Guitar Center and one of the guys that worked there just sat down and started playing along with me. He told me about meeting Dimebag and learning how to play I'm Broken directly from him, it was pretty cool.

I finished recording guitar solos (three of them) for a song I recorded the rhythm parts for yesterday. I've been listening to a lot of Death and was inspired to create a more technical death metal song. I went for cleaner production and used a different set of samples on my drum machine, it makes it sound more like the typical Morrisound kit from the 90s. I just have to do vocals for the song now, which is my least favorite part of making music. I have the lyrics written already though, so that's good. The song is about a beverage from ancient Greece called the Kykeon which is said to have had psychoactive properties due to the inclusion of Ergot fungus in it.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:10 am 

Got one more Blacksoul session on Saturday. Gonna do the last couple songs for this album there as well as redoing some stuff for Josh and I's straight black metal project. Might try and sneak a Thy Ancient Crypt tune in there well just so we have a song to build on. The real fun part is gonna be coordinating a sane time for this to start at since the studio's in Massachusetts and both Josh and myself (in addition to his wife, the rest of Sorrowseed, and some guys we know) are going to see Ghost in Poughkeepsie the day before.

I love me a good challenge.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:55 am 

Finished Kykeon!

http://treeweaver.bandcamp.com/album/kykeon
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

0bso1337_guitarist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:43 pm 

ArtificialStupidity wrote:
Your turn!

Okay, so I've been doing guitar covers for my YouTube channel and thought it was time to write my own stuff for YouTube. I'm trying to write an instrumental Pantera-style thrash with prog metal elements.

Comment, like, and subscribe!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:01 pm 

I'm sorry, but that sounds very awful.

did up 5 Corpse Arise songs. just a few more and I can wrap up that full length. My finger is feeling much better and I riffed around for the challenge song.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:09 pm 

did up another 4 Corpse Arise songs. I'll wrap up the full length of that tmwr.

looking through tons of speakers on ebay for cheap. just seeing what I can get that has quality.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:51 pm 

finished up Corpse Arise's full length today. also got 2 Dragunov songs for the full length down.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:21 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
BOO MORE 100MPH DEATH THRASH NEEDED

Oh there's still be lots of that. One of the parts in the latest song is so relentless (hyperspeed Vader tremolos followed by a bunch of complicated mid-paced picking and then hyperspeed Vader again) that it's a huge challenge to play it every time.

I'm learning a ton about vintage Strats and Les Pauls from collectors who come into the store to browse the custom shop models. I need myself a Les Paul someday. The 2014 Standard plays like a fucking dream.

And I'm sorry too, Pantera + prog doesn't sound particularly appealing, I'm imagining the Walk riff with djenty drums and some post-rock delay-laden lead lines in the background.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:22 pm 

After you said that he's probably going through his computer deleting shit grumbling to himself.

And good as long as there is plenty of 100mph death thrash.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:15 pm 

Best session I ever did was yesterday. Got the last new Blacksoul song tracked as well as all four songs for Thy Ancient Crypt's EP. An absurd amount of blasting throughout this session; every song but one had some kind of blast beat in it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:18 pm 

First Halberd song released today! Some feeback would be appreciated. Necroticism, Juicebitch and RageW are all involved.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Also, we made the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:47 pm 

Oh cool deal, I'll give it a listen in a bit. checking out some weird I'm not sure what it is that I did drums for awhile back, all this extra instrumentation has been laid down over it So i'm not even sure what it is now.

Finished the build on this cab and here it is in action:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 185  Next