Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:08 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
As someone mentioned earlier I'd also add that I found American Hustle overrated. Although I wouldn't say it isn't worth a watch at all, but Bale is on auto-pilot for the duration and Amy Adams sticks out like a sore thumb. Jennifer Lawrence is just unconvincing (her acting fine, her character not so), which is funny because she serves most of the heavy-handed comedic moments, which come off as weird and awkward more than funny. I have to admit the guy from The Hangover; Bradley Cooper, delivers the most and one-ups Bale and the cast several times. Basically I found the oddball humour to be Hustle's undoing, if it were played straight I'd have been far more in engrossed and wouldn't have felt so removed from the characters. I'd give it about a 3/5.

I agree with most of this analysis, except in regard to Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence. I found the latter totally unconvincing; sure, she's clearly a talented actress but I think this role served well in showing that her talent has limits. Amy Adams, on the other hand, was pretty good I thought. I'd probably give this thing a 3.5/5, but overrated certainly describes it well. Enjoyable enough, but definitely not something I would've put on my short list of best movies of 2013.

All of this Oculus discussion makes me really want to see it. Often things that darkeningday gets outraged about are middling to good!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:35 pm 

darkeningday's thing about accents is probably the dumbest complaint I've ever heard about a movie ever. So having a European actor use an American accent to portray an American character in a movie made in America and set in America is American exceptionalism and audiences are too stupid to trust them otherwise? What idiocy on your part, man. :wanker:

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:46 pm 

Subrick wrote:
darkeningday's thing about accents is probably the dumbest complaint I've ever heard about a movie ever. So having a European actor use an American accent to portray an American character in a movie made in America and set in America is American exceptionalism and audiences are too stupid to trust them otherwise? What idiocy on your part, man. :wanker:

So according to you, Hercules was American.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:14 pm 

Saw Valhalla Rising. It starts as a viking slave deathmatch rampage with moody landscape shots of the scottish highlands, but then they get in a boat and it starts turning into some half-assed Heart of Darkness stuff with hints of religious horror(?) and it's not so good. The movie is nice to watch, the visuals, the stark brutality of the atmosphere, soundtrack of creepy drones and everything, but it focused too much on the norsk grim kryptikness and forgot about a proper plot.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:01 pm 

Marag wrote:
Saw Valhalla Rising. It starts as a viking slave deathmatch rampage with moody landscape shots of the scottish highlands, but then they get in a boat and it starts turning into some half-assed Heart of Darkness stuff with hints of religious horror(?) and it's not so good. The movie is nice to watch, the visuals, the stark brutality of the atmosphere, soundtrack of creepy drones and everything, but it focused too much on the norsk grim kryptikness and forgot about a proper plot.

I was thoroughly bored by this movie by the time they got on the boat. All atmosphere, visuals, and nothing friendly but complete lack of pacing.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:53 pm 

Subrick wrote:
darkeningday's thing about accents is probably the dumbest complaint I've ever heard about a movie ever. So having a European actor use an American accent to portray an American character in a movie made in America and set in America is American exceptionalism and audiences are too stupid to trust them otherwise? What idiocy on your part, man.
It makes sense enough, albeit the trust quality is perhaps too much. I too personally find it bothersome that in 2014 we can't have more people using different accents (their own) besides a unified American accent in mainstream motion pictures. It's especially noticeable when you look at current trending Australian actors. It's understandable given they are sometimes playing a straight-laced American but other times a little variation wouldn't kill anyone, in fact it'd be a refreshing spin to an otherwise tried-and-tested formulaic output.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 pm 

Believe me, it bothers me more than it probably should that everybody in film has one of two accents (American or English), and that anything vaguely historical or set in a fantasy land is accompanied with British accents, but in the case of Oculus, she's a British actor playing a member of an American family, do you really want them to make an even bigger mess by having her keep her accent? Choosing to either explain it or not will just ultimately fail, so either you change the whole setting/nationality of the family, or you have one actor fake an accent (you know, acting). This is such a non-issue that it blows me away that it was even brought up in the first place, even moreso that it's still going on.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:35 pm 

That's understandable and it does certainly seem an unjust criticism against the movie.

I was mostly going off on a tangent, steering the discussion towards those who haven't seen Oculus.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:49 am 

A Monster? No, A God.

Just 2 more weeks.......

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:50 am 

Y'all are blowing this waaaay out of proportion; it was just a passing snide comment about something that kind of annoyed me in the same way I find a closing credits song performed by Regina Spektor or CGI blood annoying. While I don't think "[c]hoosing to either explain it or not [would] just ultimately fail," (oh look, her foster parents moved to Scotland, where she was raised. problem solved.), it certainly didn't prevent me from enjoying the movie. It did enough of that on its own. Although I will say that the affected accent did hinder Gillian's performance a bit because she said some words and phrases awkwardly and unnaturally. It definitely wasn't too often, though.

That said, I've long been for implementing color blind casting, which may as well include accents.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:06 am 

Holy shit, thanks for linking that trailer, Aurone! So that definitely looks like Rodan, which is fuckin' cool. The giant hooks and buzzsaw-like sound I heard at one point suggested Gigan to me, but if one of the monsters in this movie is supposed to be new, maybe it's not him. Everything else aside, what I really can't wait to see is Godzilla's atomic breath. I bet that's going to look amazing.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:28 am 

You're Next (2011)
Good Points: Lead actress using Australian accent, kind of cool soundtrack.
Bad points: Badly worded dialogue, bad acting, predictable plot twists, mostly misplaced humour.

It's not dumb enough to be enjoyed as a fun slasher and not smart enough to use subtly when it matters.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:30 am 

You're Next shot very, very quickly to the worst movie of the year spot for last year when I saw it while reviewing stuff I hadn't seen. One of the most unpleasant films in every single aspect possible, annoying characters, horrible camerawork, vapid story ... just a cretinous piece of work.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:37 am 

At least we can rest easy knowing that movies out there like The Loved Ones make You're Next look like a masterpiece.
Also, everyone should see Repo Man with Emilio Estevez. Classic flick.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:40 am 

Thiestru wrote:
Holy shit, thanks for linking that trailer, Aurone! So that definitely looks like Rodan, which is fuckin' cool. The giant hooks and buzzsaw-like sound I heard at one point suggested Gigan to me, but if one of the monsters in this movie is supposed to be new, maybe it's not him. Everything else aside, what I really can't wait to see is Godzilla's atomic breath. I bet that's going to look amazing.

Sorry to inform you, but they've confirmed that all monsters outside of Godzilla are orriginal. Still, that means that new potential if done right.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:28 pm 

Cast announcements for Star Wars: Episode VII:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27210448

Essentially some cameos, Max von Sydow, and a bunch of young relatively unknown/low profile people as the leads. Probably the best way to go about it.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:49 pm 

I eagerly await what they do with Andy Serkis in this movie.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:04 pm 

Aurone wrote:
Thiestru wrote:

Sorry to inform you, but they've confirmed that all monsters outside of Godzilla are orriginal. Still, that means that new potential if done right.

Oh, I thought that only one monster was going to be original. That's kind of disappointing, but whatever.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:54 am 

One of the best actors from my childhood has passed away, Bob Hoskins.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/30/showbiz/obit-bob-hoskins/

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:57 am 

Saw The Quiet Ones: Everybody had a British accent. 10/10
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:40 pm 

Aurone wrote:
One of the best actors from my childhood has passed away, Bob Hoskins.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/30/showbiz/obit-bob-hoskins/

Yes, I read about this yesterday, very sad news. I watched Peter Pan and Roger Rabbit with my little sisters in his memory!

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:34 am 

There's a handful of preview clips up for Godzilla. I would recommend not watching most because slowly but surely they're revealing a little more than I think they should be. The less-is-more approach of the early teaser trailers was far more effective.

That said, this scene gave me the chills. Good to know there will be drama and a real human element amidst the giant monster carnage:

Spoiler: show

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:41 am 

Can Bryan Cranston just be in every movie and TV show that's made now? Words do not begin to explain how excellent this man is.

Also, word from an advance screening is that the movie is excellent as well.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=99246

http://screenrant.com/godzilla-2014-det ... -previews/

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:47 am 

Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise - I'm apparently in a "clearly inferior sequel" mood lately, because I watched this the other day and I'll be watching RoboCop 2 in the next week or so. Nerds II is partly just a rehash of the first movie (jocks torment nerds, including messing with their living arrangements, nerds have to put on a concert, supporting character flips and becomes pro-nerd by the end) but set in Florida and rated PG-13. Yeah, the raunchiness was a big part of the appeal of the very R-rated original, but they toned it down for this one. Even the soundtrack, which I normally pay little attention to, isn't as good as the original's because nothing measures up to "Are You Ready for the Sex Girls?" from the Tri-Lamb / Omega Mu party scene.

Revenge of the Nerds III and IV are made for TV movies, so I don't think I'll bother with those.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:39 pm 

Robocop 2 is not a clearly inferior sequel. Robocop 2 is awesome.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:06 pm 

Is it? All I can remember is that I didn't like it nearly as much as the original, and that one of the villains was a kid, like in Tropic Thunder.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:25 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Robocop 2 is not a clearly inferior sequel. Robocop 2 is awesome.

Robocop 2 is awful. Even the mediocre remake is better than it.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:44 am 

godsonsafari wrote:
I don't do snowflakes or stars or number ratings or any of that. I'm not a dude who's seen enough good film to believe he has a real opinion. But I still would like to say that Grand Budapest Hotel is really, really good and I would be sad if people didn't watch it because oh man it is so good.

if theres a complaint i can see, it is the return of the popular motif in media of "brown person saved and uplifted by white man". i dont think it is an inherently wrong thing to do if treated with respect and honestly they do that here in what is as much comedy as anything else (in action). it isnt really just a slapstick though, as anyone who sees it would testify. what it says about the human spirit is, I think, powerful and multi-dimensional. I'm left thinking still about zero's statements re: "the world" gustave was trying vainly to keep alive. man, i enjoy shit like lego movie or captain america, but then you see a movie like this.....

Sorry, what does it say about the human spirit? Don't get me wrong it's incredibly entertaining, but that's about the limit of it. I'd hesitate to give it a top score because where does that leave room for the films which really do say something (important) about the "human spirit"? Judge it in 20 years but I'm going to guess once the fawning over "how well it's done" has died down it won't be making many lists. That's not to say I think it's all style and no substance, the style is what actually gives it the most substance and not the human relationships or whatever people think it's about, I can see potential there but unfortunately not fully realized this time.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:12 am 

Firestarter - This reminds me of Scanners. Both are dated 1980s movies with some campy acting, but also with a premise that allows for some undeniably cool scenes. Scanners has exploding heads, and Firestarter has a 9 year old Drew Barrymore burning people to death. It's arguably worth watching just for that, even though as a movie it has a few problems. (What was George C. Scott's motivation again?)

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:50 pm 

Expedience wrote:
godsonsafari wrote:
I don't do snowflakes or stars or number ratings or any of that. I'm not a dude who's seen enough good film to believe he has a real opinion. But I still would like to say that Grand Budapest Hotel is really, really good and I would be sad if people didn't watch it because oh man it is so good.

if theres a complaint i can see, it is the return of the popular motif in media of "brown person saved and uplifted by white man". i dont think it is an inherently wrong thing to do if treated with respect and honestly they do that here in what is as much comedy as anything else (in action). it isnt really just a slapstick though, as anyone who sees it would testify. what it says about the human spirit is, I think, powerful and multi-dimensional. I'm left thinking still about zero's statements re: "the world" gustave was trying vainly to keep alive. man, i enjoy shit like lego movie or captain america, but then you see a movie like this.....

Sorry, what does it say about the human spirit?

There's the whole "willingness to sacrifice one's self in the face of obvious insurmountable odds for good" thing that underlies Gustave's death at the end of the film.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:17 pm 

The Amazing Spiderman 2 - 7 out of 10.

To me, this was an improved version of what Spiderman 3 was trying to do. It has the same problems that has been done before, overloaded with villians and it being cramped, but this one to me works better. The best part of this is easily the romance aspect of Peter and Gwen, both have legit chemestry and make it believable that they're a struggling couple. The villians are sadly rushed in this, but as said before, they're not as bad as Spiderman 3 was with it. Also....

Props for going there with Gwen Stacie's death. I honestly didn't think they'd pull the trigger with it, when she snapped like that, I truly though she was going to wake up at any moment. But no, they had the balls to go there and it honestly might be one of the best deaths in comic book movies.

It was a fun movie and recommend it. It wasn't great or groundbreaking, but it worked.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 pm 

It had a lot of flaws, mostly the rushed villain backstories, but Marc Webb avoided those flaws like a professional jet pilot navigating hostile air space - really selling the movie and making it fast and fun. It felt like a comic book, just high-octane action and supernatural drama. And some real drama with Peter and Gwen as mentioned - both Garfield and Stone are absolutely perfect in this. It's probably my favorite movie of the year so far.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:00 am 

007 For Your Eyes Only - Apparently this is considered Moore's best and brightest and as such gets plenty of good reviews, yet it's a right mess and the score is really odd. I had wondered why I had never seen this entry in the series but it was abundantly clear by the half-way mark. Moore has no personality apart from a few dull one liners "he had no head for heights" and it takes over an hour to find out who is actually the bad guy and his motives. Bond continually getting himself attacked by secret henchmen (such as in a ice hockey rink) and out-running a car through a series of tunnels in a town he's never been to is too far-fetched, the action scenes should be a highlight but they're boring, and scenes shifting from location to location without any travel imagery is really jarring. It feels like 3 movies thrown into one and certain scenes appear to have no script.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:19 am 

Just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness. Honestly I expected to hate it, but really the best I could muster was "meh". It was a meh movie that couldn't really decide if it wanted to be Star Trek 2 or Star Trek 6, so it just half-assed both at the same time. Nobody's motivations were properly explored and there were just shitloads of plot holes. Aside from gratuitous shakycam and overuse of lens flare the visuals were really good though, and the score as well, but the lazy screenplay really let this one down.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:45 pm 

Newest additions.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:07 am 

bad, okay, amazing

Nice upward progression.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:31 am 

Unforgiven is just okay? Really? Unforgiven rules. Only real issue I had with it is the English Bob plot not intertwining with the main story, but even then it's really just an extended introduction to Little Bill and how he runs the town.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:46 pm 

Screen from the new Hercules movie:

Me attempting to explain to someone why a fantastical setting is no excuse for boob plate and belly free armor:
"Plausibility is making your creation believable within the premises of your setting. There is no premise of uterus forcefields in Greek myth"
Their response:
"Plausibility goes right out the window when your setting is a greek myth."

:brick:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:56 pm 

>Slightly excited for new Hercules movie because it stars The Rock
>Sees it's directed by Brett Ratner
>Bye bye excitement

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:09 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Unforgiven is just okay? Really? Unforgiven rules. Only real issue I had with it is the English Bob plot not intertwining with the main story, but even then it's really just an extended introduction to Little Bill and how he runs the town.

It's good, but Eastwood would get way better as a director later on. Specifically Gran Torino and Hereafter - magnificent films.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471 ... 818  Next