Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cicatrice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:23 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Been really digging Noothgrush and Grief a lot recently. Looking for more dismal, raw, and noisy sludge that doesn't get too bluesy. The kind of stuff that would fit on a 90's split with a hardcore band or in a squat full of junkies.

This song's what's gotten me hooked. Vocals like this preferred! Oh, and I know Eyehategod!

Have you heard Noosebomb? Maybe not what you're looking for, but made up of members of Grief, basically.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:54 am 

Aydross wrote:
Any album similar to Sabbath's mellower songs? (Solitude, Planet Caravan, etc)

I don't know any whole albums, but as far as songs go, Cathedral's Astral Queen always made me think of Planet Caravan.

Cathedral - Astral Queen

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:01 am 

Sort of dovetailing with Aydross's request - what about doom metal heavy on the acoustic guitars? Though obviously you'd need plenty of heavier parts as well, to be considered metal. Along with the Sabbath and Cathedral tracks mentioned, Windhand had a pretty cool acoustic song on their last album.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:50 pm 

I've talked about them before but now there's a full song available on YouTube. The debut album will be released in June.

Middle Eastern mantra doom. Brilliant. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:59 pm 

:hyper: :hyper: Can't wait to hear that album!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:53 am 

Aydross wrote:
Any album similar to Sabbath's mellower songs? (Solitude, Planet Caravan, etc)

And by that I take it you want something minimalistic, incredibly mellow and yet orchestrated and systematic.

Neurosis' The Eye Of Every Storm immediately springs to mind. Check this out;

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:02 am 

Are there any progressive epic or trad doom bands? There are tons of prog sludge bands but I'm looking for bands that maintain the traditional format of doom but with undeniable progressive elements.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:21 am 

DeathBySuicide wrote:
Are there any progressive epic or trad doom bands? There are tons of prog sludge bands but I'm looking for bands that maintain the traditional format of doom but with undeniable progressive elements.

Well, I'm sure you've heard of Revelation. They've been around for ages and got more progressive by the album. Their latest Inner Harbor is the most progressive but I tend to agree with Buarainech's review of it. It is so lazy and idiosyncratic that it fails to translate to a pure doom listener. As a result, Revelation's best work is back when they actually played doom and slipped in only a few prog influences.

Believe it or not, there's a band from Uganda in east Africa called Vale of Amonition that plays prog/doom and although some of what I'd heard at first sounded rickety, they have gotten better and more apt at their chosen style;
The Rush influence is quite discernible in Born In A Time Of Blood.

The acoustic section and the jam section are highlights.

Memento Mori's balance of prog and epic doom is awesome so check them out immediately if you haven't already. I've only heard Rhymes of Lunacy and Songs For The Apocalypse. The latter is more formulaic and focused but noteworthy nonetheless but the real prize is Rhymes of Lunacy whose guitar work is both menacing and delicate, rough and fluid. The dynamism plays a great role in defining the album's character and added to that is Messiah Marcolin who is in absolute top form on vocals. Woefully underrated album!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:04 pm 

DeathBySuicide wrote:

Some of the bands I reviewed are prog/doom, I think you'll have enough bands for at least 2-3 weeks!
-Memory Driven is a superb prog doom band, one of my fav albums. Perhaps not fully trad doom/prog since there's many other influences but near enough.
-Electric Mud Generator is truly excellent prog psych doom/stoner with long songs, this one is like the shortest.
-Crowned in Earth is also fucking awesome 70s prog + trad doom!
-Garden of Worm are pretty influenced by the subtle atmospheric proggy doom of the aforementioned Revelation.

Some stuff I don't quite dig but that fits your request.
-Landskap is psych/occult/prog trad doom with decent vocals.
-The Albion Codex is progressive doom, not bad either just mundane.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:25 pm 

All these epic doom requests and no one mentions Below??

This is excellent epic doom!

Like your reviews?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:52 pm 

He asked for prog trad or epic doom. Below are cool but they're Candlemass worship, nothing truly special.

dragonclaw7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:56 am 

I'm agreeing with the Conan/Pilgrim complaints that it's just too generic and no hooks. I'm sure live it would be amazing to hear that heavy tone. Pilgrim's best songs are the shorter 4 minute songs.

I'm looking for some good sludge like Coffinworm. I feel like I should know some more. Mid to up tempo sludge-doom The more vicious the better.

Last edited by dragonclaw7 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:58 am 

You might get a kick out of Black Cobra.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

dragonclaw7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:25 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
You might get a kick out of Black Cobra.

Yes like them a ton.

Looking for something a bit more challenging. Triptykon, Inter Arma, Stoneburner, Rwake, shit like that. Need my mind to bleed.

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:05 pm 

Thank you so much Metantoine, that list was very very helpful. Memory Driven is utterly fantastic. I'd heard of Electric Mud Generator but just never cared to look into them but after this, I'm gonna get a full length.

iAmDisturbed, I'm aware of Vale of Amonition and I love them. Revelation has always been a favorite of mine too but I haven't listened to them in a long time. Memento Mori has been on my radar for a while now so I guess I'll check them out now.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:24 am 

DeathBySuicide wrote:
Memory Driven is utterly fantastic.

Oh, how I wish more people would think this. But their brand of prog-doom doesn't win any popularity contests even if the music and musicianship is top notch. Anyhoo, if you like Memory Driven you can also check out the "pre"-MD band Oversoul and their one and only album "Seven Days in November..."

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:30 pm 

Looking around for truly psychedelic doom. When I say psychedelic, I don't mean just some stoner metal wah wah riffs, I mean the whole 9 yards, overdubs, flanging out the ass, really spaced out vocals. If it at the very least sounds like there's some sitar, throw it in.

Sort of like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EFQLvEX7Rw

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:02 am 

For anyone who wanted some heavy doom no bullshit

Rainbows Are Free
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr9R7xBjw6c

Whiskey_Bonbons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:28 am 

Finally, Pagan Altar updated that July 11th is the release date for Never Quite Dead. Been waiting for that one for ages!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:03 pm 

Tony, since you've already reviewed their EP, you might dig this video by Bedowyn:

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:13 am 

Whiskey_Bonbons wrote:
Finally, Pagan Altar updated that July 11th is the release date for Never Quite Dead. Been waiting for that one for ages!

Ugnnn, pump it right into my veins! Pagan Altar is probably my favourite band, classy mofos those chaps.

diazemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:03 am 

Hey all I recently had to go on some pretty strong painkillers and I cant listen to most of my library while on them since it freaks me out. However I really enjoy listening to sludge/doom/stoner while on them so I was hoping you guys could help me out.
I really enjoy these bands and I would prefer clean vocals most of the time if possible.
Electric wizard
Grief
Sleep
Acid bath
Weedeater
Acid king
and I really enjoyed that Bedowyn

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:24 am 

diazemon wrote:
Hey all I recently had to go on some pretty strong painkillers and I cant listen to most of my library while on them since it freaks me out. However I really enjoy listening to sludge/doom/stoner while on them so I was hoping you guys could help me out.
I really enjoy these bands and I would prefer clean vocals most of the time if possible.
Electric wizard
Grief
Sleep
Acid bath
Weedeater
Acid king
and I really enjoyed that Bedowyn

Windhand
Spoiler: show

Elder

Goatsnake

Om

Hangman's Chair

Crowbar

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:11 am 

Great list of recs right there. I would also add Dixie Dave from Weedeater's previous band, Buzzoven, though they're a little more uptempo and thrashy.

diazemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:54 am 

Thanks I really enjoyed all but Goat snake I just couldn't get into them I dont know why but thanks alot :) guys!

HolyShitOnTheCross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:12 am 

Recommend me some Sludge. This band Hang The Bastard im really digging so something similar would be appreciated. Specifically im looking for pummeling riffs with a clear Hardcore edge.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:19 am 

Kind of a longshot but check out Celeste, sludgy black metal with pretty pronounced hardcore influences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrU6-nhUy4

And in case you don't know Primitive Man than here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bvVApy5uaU

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:39 pm 

Hey doom brethren, any of you guys heard Empress Rising by Monolord yet? It sort of makes me think of a sick mashup between the ridiculous guitar tone of a band like Conan and the groovy riffing of Sleep, minus the epic meandering. There are some real winners on this album, as conventional as it might make itself out to be at first. My favourite part is probably the beginning to Icon, what a sick, disgusting groove!

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:43 pm 

Yup, Monolord's been discussed in this very thread a couple of times already. I personally like the album a lot and hope to catch the band live someday, although so far their gigging seems to be limited to the "wrong" side of the country. The band is not original in the slightest but they know what they're doing and how to keep things interesting. Beats the hell out of a band like Conan.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:39 am 

Woops, didn't mean to repost! I didn't realize the band had already been discussed! Agreed with what you said about originality, in fact I only re-listened to the album due to the wonderful tone, and suddenly I find the songs to be quite addictive. :lol: And agreed with what you said about Conan. They could be so awesome if their riffs weren't so terribly uninteresting and boring. I appreciate what I feel they are going for, it just doesn't translate into very enjoyable music.

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:15 am 

Purple Mercy's fucking trippy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl1XaKE ... CE50C17AC4

Noise Not Music
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:57 pm 

I'd like doom metal similar Candlemass but with harsh vocals. Preferably stuff like their first release, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:30 am 

Noise Not Music wrote:
I'd like doom metal similar Candlemass but with harsh vocals. Preferably stuff like their first release, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus.

Anguish has harsh(er) vocals, you'll dig them:

QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:38 am 

Interested in some tribal sounding traditional doom metal. Any suggestions?

Gorz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:53 pm 

One band that I haven't seen being mentioned anywhere, yet they so rightfully deserve, are Rainbows are Free. anyone looking into that Canabistically-medicated-rock with enough metal into it to be on the archives will enjoy them.

NuditysShiver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:26 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Oh and check out Demon Lung for something heavier but still female fronted, not unlike TWK or Windhand.

Great recommendation! I'll be looking into the others you listed as well. I'm also interested in female-fronted doom.

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:10 pm 

Gorz wrote:
One band that I haven't seen being mentioned anywhere, yet they so rightfully deserve, are Rainbows are Free. anyone looking into that Canabistically-medicated-rock with enough metal into it to be on the archives will enjoy them.

They sound like a cross between Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden

Speaking of which, what doom metal bands are there that sound like Dio-era Sabbath/Heaven and Hell, like After All The Dead and Shadow of the Wind? Where there really isn't a psychedelic sound, but still very evil.

Something a bit like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUrZ-rwPdoI

On that note, can somebody give me a doom metal song from an admittedly NON doom metal band?

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:54 pm 

Mutterficker wrote:
On that note, can somebody give me a doom metal song from an admittedly NON doom metal band?

One reason why Exciter is probably my favorite speed metal band is that they had such an understanding of Sabbath and early metal. Sure, they loved the wild and fast Motorhead-stuff but John Ricci had a real feel for dark, heavy-as-fuck riffs and could probably have turned things around in the 90s by going from Exciter to an exclusively Doom project.

Nonetheless, every now and then, Exciter had doom riffs or, in this case, almost entire doom songs:

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:45 am 

Mutterficker wrote:

Black Knight - Aaraigathor (Metal Anthem)
Dio - Strange Highways
Emerald (US) - Judgment Day
Battleroar - The Curse of Medea
Warlord - City Walls of Troy

And how about a doom metal song from a band that's not even metal?
The Doors - L'America

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 am 

QueenElizawreck wrote:
Interested in some tribal sounding traditional doom metal. Any suggestions?

I want to hear this too, I'm a sucker for anything with a tribal beat. Anyone got anything?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 133  Next