* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:41 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Spectral Lore - The Dejection of Arjuna

So many kvlt filled musicians slaving away in their bedroom on their own trying to create some trve black metal, and then this guy comes along. Making them all obsolete in one fell swoop.

So much yes. The unbelievably great new album reminded me to go back and listen to Sentinel, which is still unbelievably great. :nods:

Bloodway - Sunstone Voyager and the Clandestine Horizon

I'm starting to think that everything I, Voidhanger touches turns to gold. This is one of their most interesting releases yet. Can't wait to hear a full length from this band.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:04 pm 

Coroner- Arc-Lite

Awesome thrash instrumental!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:27 pm 

Inquisition - Desolate Funeral Chant

These guys hit all the spots for me as far as black metal goes. Textured, melodic guitarwork, killer riffs - it's just brilliant.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:07 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

So many kvlt filled musicians slaving away in their bedroom on their own trying to create some trve black metal, and then this guy comes along. Making them all obsolete in one fell swoop.

Oh yeah! Does anyone know if Sentinel had a physical release? I'm not against digital, but I listen to a lot of music in my car and this is definitely something I'd listen to on my drive into work at 5 am. Speaking of black metal...

Marduk- Temple of Decay.

Serpent Sermon isn't their best effort, but I really like this song. Especially that weird chanting in the background during the chorus.
Death metal is eternal.

Gor Lord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:17 pm 

Whitechapel-Our endless war

This is my first spin through on the disk. Fucking cool so far... I want to smash some furniture.

http://4-john-alexander.artistwebsites.com/

Buy my art. Hang it on your wall.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:21 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Oh yeah! Does anyone know if Sentinel had a physical release? I'm not against digital, but I listen to a lot of music in my car and this is definitely something I'd listen to on my drive into work at 5 am.

Yep, digipak limited to 500 copies. It's a pretty nifty little thing, but it's fairly hard to find now. Occasionally a copy pops up.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:40 pm 

Avantasia - Runaway Train

I am such a sucker for the key(s?) this song is written in. Also helps that the bridge around the 2/3 mark is frickin' legendary.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:01 pm 

Ocean... earlier Here where nothing grows and currently Pantheon of the Lesser

Wish this band didn't break up. it's such a shame.

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:15 pm 

(double post, sorry...)
Death metal is eternal.

Last edited by RedMisanthrope on Sun May 04, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:19 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Metal_Detector wrote:

Oh yeah! Does anyone know if Sentinel had a physical release? I'm not against digital, but I listen to a lot of music in my car and this is definitely something I'd listen to on my drive into work at 5 am.

Yep, digipak limited to 500 copies. It's a pretty nifty little thing, but it's fairly hard to find now. Occasionally a copy pops up.

Ah, thanks! Digital it is then, until hopefully a reissue.

Empyreal wrote:
Inquisition - Desolate Funeral Chant

These guys hit all the spots for me as far as black metal goes. Textured, melodic guitarwork, killer riffs - it's just brilliant.

When I first heard the opening riff of the title track of this particular album, my initial thought was "That's what black metal sounds like". I love these guys as well.

Inquisition- Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Macrocosm
Death metal is eternal.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:35 pm 

Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

The Japanese bonus track "Into Despair" ain't bad at all. Its a slower/doomier number, complete with some mournful/woeful clean vocals. For those who already found the album too long, this song extends the album length to a staggering 75 minutes. Oddly enough its track 5, which leads me to believe it was intended to be a part of this album (bonus tracks like that are annoying). It also fits nicely between Breathing and Aurorae too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:44 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
When I first heard the opening riff of the title track of this particular album, my initial thought was "That's what black metal sounds like". I love these guys as well.

Inquisition- Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Macrocosm

"Upon the Fire Winged Demon" is the standout for me so far, but they're all so good.

Zelkiro wrote:
Avantasia - Runaway Train

I am such a sucker for the key(s?) this song is written in. Also helps that the bridge around the 2/3 mark is frickin' legendary.

Probably my favorite on the whole album. Great, Meat Loaf-esque tune.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:25 am 

Trivium - Ignition

Diamhea's review of this got me to listen to this song again, and Heafy's vocals are REALLY grating. He's trying his absolute hardest to sound like Hetfield here and failing. The music is decent though, with some cool moments throughout.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:22 am 

Subrick wrote:
Trivium - Ignition

Diamhea's review of this got me to listen to this song again, and Heafy's vocals are REALLY grating. He's trying his absolute hardest to sound like Hetfield here and failing. The music is decent though, with some cool moments throughout.

Ignition has better riffs than Detonation, but it has that annoying "raise the gunnns" vocal line. Detonation has that cool section with the clean vocals just past the midway point that makes that song worth it on it's own and reminds me of Ascendancy. Glad you got something out of the review, and Ascendancy was to me what The Crusade was to you, so you must understand my disappointment in 2006 going from the former to the latter. Cheers m8

Daily Overkill intake satiated by utilization of both I Hear Black and ReliXIV; right now:

Overkill - Pound of Flesh
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:02 am 

Finsterforst-Nichts als Asche

Absolutely epic folk metal, I miss a little bit the more straightforward and accordion oriented songs of the first album but this one is pure art.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:21 am 

Domains - Mastery

Such a great album by these Spaniards is Sinister Ceremonies.

My collection

subtropical
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:20 am 

Tyrant's Blood - Into the Kingdom of Graves

Totally missed it last year, well worth a listen. Intense and barbaric death/trash/black.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:54 am 

SIG - Lapsuus & Lapsellisuus

This doesn't say much to a foreigner. A Finnish new wave band. Beautiful, innocent and sensitive.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:04 am 

subtropical wrote:
Tyrant's Blood - Into the Kingdom of Graves

Totally missed it last year, well worth a listen. Intense and barbaric death/trash/black.

Brilliant album. Made my top ten list last year.

Np : Kognitiv Tod - Mysteries

The one paced-ness really hurts this. Interesting album, if anything.

jeanshack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:19 pm 

At The Gates - Slaughter of The Soul

Sheer Slaughter of the Monday blues!

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:08 pm 

Galneryus - Heavy Curse

Not sure I like the excessive pinch-harmonics on this, but the massive chorus makes up for it.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:08 pm 

The Ruins of Beverast- Rain upon the Impure.

I wasn't a big fan of the last album. I love this though. Cool sound effects and great drumming.

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:47 pm 

Razor - United By Hatred
Lemonade has a new best friend.

WiNDiR999
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:27 pm 

Old Man's Child - Fall Of Man

I love this song

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:59 pm 

Possession - Anneliese

Promising new Belgian death metal band.

Necrostalker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:16 pm 

Satan - Break Free

Heavy Metal in it´s finest form .

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:52 pm 

Spoiler: show
Perdition666 wrote:
I probably should mine some older J-pop, if it has really good musicianship and whatnot. Kate Bush's older stuff is pretty good actually. Vocals are shrill as fuck too, which is a bonus. She's a pretty big influence on Onmyo-Za's vocalist.

Huh, I didn't know that. I don't think Kate Bush is among the usual list of “Western artists that influenced Japanese ones.” Interesting.

Quote:
Songs like "Saving all My Love For You" and "Heart Hope Dream Love" weren't bad with the English actually. Slight accent, but it worked. Most of that album seemed to be in Japanese, but I didn't check. He seemed to flirt with operatic vocals here and there too.

Yeah, I think most of that album is in Japanese too. His English was better, and I don't think there were too many “l's” which is one of the big things that always gets Japanese people :lol:.

Quote:
Kuroneko's vocals on that one are pure awesome. Mind you, I could say that about a lot of their songs. Can't really cite which ones because I'll never be able to learn any songtitles longer than one word :lol:

Agreed, and I couldn't name the majority of their songtitles either. Onmyo-za really excels vocally though. I'm not sure how they managed to get so much vocal talent in one band, but it's great. Kuroneko and Matatabi contrast really well and both have amazing clean vocals. And I love how they utilize Japanese-esque chanting and some really good harsh vocals (I think one of the guitarists helps Matatabi out on these, but I'm not sure which one) in their music as well.

Quote:
Yeah, there used to be tons of lives on there. They and Galneryus got all their stuff yanked. I can understand where they're coming from (the labels), but this makes it pretty difficult to promote their bands over here (and makes regular piracy almost a necessity).

It sucks. And then people reupload transcoded stuff which makes the video and audio even worse.

Quote:
Yeah, it takes a lot to phase me. I guess Babymetal was a tad fucked - but they reminded me of Pin-Up Went Down, so I already had a partial immunity towards that sort of thing. :lol:

Hehe, the though of idols doing metal is always hilarious.

Quote:
I'll have to give that a shot sometime. I wonder if my mp3 player (Cowon iaudio7) will support it? It does Ogg and Flac though. That reminds me, I cleaned my mp3 player off recently and there's hardly anything on it. I really need to load it up with stuff again.

It probably won't. Companies seem to be too lazy to update their firmware and add a few libraries, it's a shame. (And Apple refuses to support anything that's not mp3, AAC or their special snowflake codecs that exist for no reason, ugh.) I use a fuze+ with rockbox for portability, but Opus actually gives me kernel panics when I try to play it. :lol: I just stick with 192kpbs Vorbis which may be a bit overkill, but it works.

Quote:
Onmyo-Za did a song for an anime too. I think Cyntia got a popularity boost by doing an opener too. I'm surprised Aldious hasn't done one yet.

Yeah, they did the opening for Basilisk. Only reason I bothered watching it was because Onmyo-za did that opening :lol:. (The show itself was okay; not really anything notable.)

Yes - Perpetual Change

Good, old 70s prog rock.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:03 pm 

Oxes: Oxes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkluP5VELXo

Great instrumental mathrock. more abrassive than Don Cab. Kinda more like Sweep the Leg Johnny with no vocals as a reference.

jeanshack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:04 pm 

"O'Nightspirit"
"I am one with thee"
"I am the eternal power"
"I am the Emperor"

"Winds and storms. embrace us now"
"Lay waste the light of day"
"Open gates to darker lands"
"We spread our wings and fly away"

Emperor - Alsvartr (The Oath)

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:22 pm 

Moonblood - 'Blut und Krieg'

Fantastic German black metal from the mid-90's. The production is raw, but not 'Transylvanian Hunger'/'Nattens Madrigal' level, and all the great little riffs can be heard clearly. I confess to not owning this in physical form, and I likely never will considering how rare MB's releases are. But anyone who's even remotely a fan of lower-fi black metal should try to find a download somewhere.

Cerebral Paralysis - '2013 Promo'

Only two tracks, but this is some pretty sweet (and well-produced) slamming brutal death. Certainly they're not the most original band around, but if you enjoy US-style BDM as I generally do, give it a listen, it's free.

Coffin Dust - 'Ancient Rites of Buried Evil'

New-school (but with an old-school flavor) death/thrash metal from PA. I saw this band recommended on here once or twice and decided to give them a listen, and I was not disappointed in the least. Too bad this is only 19 minutes - but that gives me an incentive to buy their full-length.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:44 pm 

Jag Panzer - When the Walls Come Down
The vinyl version of this song is a minute and a half longer than the one on the Century Media CD--the CD version cuts off in the middle of the guitar solo for no apparent reason.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:02 am 

Obituary-On the floor

From the awesome Frozen in Time, not a great fan of the band but they kick ass on the stage and this album is great.

WiNDiR999
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:25 am 

October Tide - Of Wounds to Come
Great band!! doom/death

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:36 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Last album was great, IMO.

Something is lost for me.

Empyreal wrote:
For sure. That's my kind of extreme metal.

Inquisition rules, yes!

Kveldulfr wrote:
Ved Buens Ende - The Plunderer. Such a visionary band! I wish these guys would come back for one more album...

They were.

shouvince wrote:
Type O Negative - My Girlfriend's Girlfriend

They're good, yes!

jeanshack wrote:
At The Gates - Slaughter of The Soul

Overrated.

bronxeel wrote:

I should listen to this.

jeanshack wrote:

AMAZING album from start to finish. I LOVE The Wanderer!

Paganbasque wrote:
Obituary-On the floor

They're quite original for Death Metal standards.

Serge Gainsbourg - Je T'aime Moi Non Plus (Dzihan & Kamien Dampfbad Dub) from Brazilectro Session Four (CD2).
Summertime!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:24 am 

bronxeel wrote:

I wasn't a big fan of the last album. I love this though. Cool sound effects and great drumming.

That album rules. One of the best albums of the 00's.

NP: Ossian - Szeresd Jobban

No idea what these guys write about but I like this anyway. Fun, if somewhat retained classic metal.

jeanshack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:30 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
jeanshack wrote:

AMAZING album from start to finish. I LOVE The Wanderer!

Indeed!

Emperor - The Acclamation of Bonds

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:44 am 

Guarnerius - Guarnerius

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:07 pm 

Nightmare - Invoking Demons

This new album has some fucking awesome guitar work. Classy traditional/power metal.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:20 pm 

The Roots & Erykah Badu - You Got Me

Got off Rose Kemp's Golden Shroud to listen to this and I find myself spun in a web of soulful bliss!
The internet was actually created for the sole purpose of making lists. Usually of suspected people...good jokes...best hallucinogenics...top 5 butts (KYLIE!)...euphemisms for stroking a random organ...We'll be damned before we deviate from that Prime Directive!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:29 pm 

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

My first time actually listening to this. So far, so good, though I'm guessing the legend status had more to do with the time it was released than with the objective quality of the music. Definitely solid stuff, nice harmonizing guitars, lacerating tremolos, but it's not exactly hitting me in the gut with awesomeness. Deserves further listening in any case.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1446, 1447, 1448, 1449, 1450, 1451, 1452 ... 2914  Next