* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:27 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

No CD release?? YOU SON OF A BITCH!

These guys get it. I love the baby Blackie vocals. I love everything about this. It's not a thinker but it's damn sure a mover.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:51 pm 

Can you give me something similar to first two Iron Maiden albums? nwobhm mixed with a bit of punk.
I'd also like it to have vocals similar to Di'Anno (meaning without Dickinson-type high vocals).

Thanks!

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:24 am 

I tried to like persuader but I just couldn't, they seemed way too forced to me, they need to amp up their songwriting.

That portrait song sounds really cool! Might check em out.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:48 am 

I made a small late night purchase from StormSpell last night, wanted to see if maybe I could drum up some opinions.

First of all, I felt like I was losing it because I thought I saw a post from FSM where he linked a Midnight Priest song with a "2 Minutes to Midnight Riff". I didn't listen to the song, but it DID remind me that I had always wanted to check out the band. So I jumped on StormSpell, did a very quick sampling and pulled the trigger. Add those dudes to the list of younger bands who "GET IT". The leads at the end of Sabado Negro were so greasy, just like old Fate.

As always I didn't want to grab just one thing, so I also snagged the re-issue of this Eldritch Rite demo tape. I guess their big claim to fame is Diamond Darrel's dad engineered the recording. Well I'm glad he took a hands off approach because it sounds like a basement project in the best possible way. It's fast and quirky with a weird ropey guitar tone. I'm excited to hear the full thing.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:03 am 

So realized the only 2014 trad metal release I have is Stone Dagger's demo and the new Slough Feg.

What am I missing in the realm of awesome trad metal/USPM?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:51 pm 

Eldritch Rite are okay. I don't remember being very impressed with the songwriting but I haven't heard them in awhile. You should get the Graven Rite release from that set, it's epic heavy MR worship with weird but charming vocals that I know you would like. I'm not too familiar with Midnight Priest, I should probably check them out soon. I know I've heard them before, but I can't remember what they sound like at all.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:04 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
So realized the only 2014 trad metal release I have is Stone Dagger's demo and the new Slough Feg.

Stone Dagger is 2013, man :)

There's the new Satan's Satyrs but I don't think that's quite your genre and there's the upcoming Portrait as mentioned before in this thread. It's a slow year for trad metal so far.

Have you checked Tarot? Awesome Australian heavy/rock

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:05 pm 

I can't remember if I sampled Graven Rite or not. I like the IDEA of those "Jewels of Gwahauallaularar" or whatever, but the cover art they're slapping on em looks like a Diablo expansion pack and it drives me crazy.

I didn't listen to but about 45 seconds of one Eldritch Rite song. They were quirky with a very weird guitar tone and some speed. They weren't very heavy at all though, if that makes any kind of sense. It was 5 bucks and I'm quite curious.

I've been cranking that Stallion EP every day at work now that I've got a little downtime between calls. It smoooookes.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:25 pm 

Not my genre!? I listen to everything :P

I actually saw Satan's Satyrs live when I saw Manilla Road/Speedwolf, they opened. Thanks I'll check Tarot out.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:55 am 

Any of you bro's checked out this Metal From Hell/Midnight Wind remaster and re-issue? Saw some shit on Blabbermouth earlier today and posted a thread about it, but don't really see much on the web about it.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:13 am 

Can someone recommend a symphonic metal band or progressive power metal band that uses a saxophone? I just came across this band that uses it, but only in parts on "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "Robin Hood" which was disappointing because those parts were awesome and I wish there was more.
http://orisonata.bandcamp.com/

I already know about Diablo Swing Orchestra. I'm looking for something closer to the band above.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:41 am 

Nahsil wrote:

At your service, Nahsil!

Metal Inquisitor released Ultima Ratio Regis some months back and it is some of their most ferocious and satisfying work. Lucifer's Hammer's Night Sacrifice Demo MMXIII will also be right up your alley seeing as how you liked Stone Dagger's demo. Crusader's Onward Into Battle came out last year but it only came to my attention fairly recently after StormSpell put it out on CD so I'll recommend it anyway. NWOBHM-styled USPM with epic leanings from time to time. Deserves a dozen listens.

Dark Forest is from England but they're still pretty good. The Awakening was released by the awesome Cruz Del Sur label and maintains the medieval and folk textures of the two albums before it with lyrics that talk about rediscovering our spiritual selves and quote "The Masque Of Anarchy". Mostly mid tempo with some fairly fast parts and Dark Moor-ish melancholic choruses but with a much older feel. Takes some getting used to but still better than Arkham Witch.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:22 am 

Holy fuckberries, VSH, this Crusader album slays! Why have I not heard these guys before?? It sounds like Steel Assassin mixed with Skullview (yes, it's as cool as it sounds). That guitar tone absolutely slays too! Thanks for the mention man, gonna grab that album and probably review it before long. :D

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:05 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

From what I've heard of it thus far, the new Medieval Steel sounds promising.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:00 pm 

The Animator wrote:
Can someone recommend a symphonic metal band or progressive power metal band that uses a saxophone? I just came across this band that uses it, but only in parts on "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "Robin Hood" which was disappointing because those parts were awesome and I wish there was more.
http://orisonata.bandcamp.com/

I already know about Diablo Swing Orchestra. I'm looking for something closer to the band above.

To be honest I didn't like it as much as you. I could remember only one track having saxophone. It was song by Dream Theater called Another Day from album Images And Words.
I can remember I was very pleasingly surprised about band Emir Hot which had accordion in a few of their songs on the album Sevdah Metal.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:24 pm 

Holy crap, new Medieval Steel!?

Thanks VSH, I've known Dark Forest since their Defender EP but I haven't heard the new album. I just got that Metal Inquisitor, seems pretty solid if kind of safe, but I'm okay with that. I'll check the others out, not familiar.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:42 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Holy fuckberries, VSH, this Crusader album slays! Why have I not heard these guys before?? It sounds like Steel Assassin mixed with Skullview (yes, it's as cool as it sounds). That guitar tone absolutely slays too! Thanks for the mention man, gonna grab that album and probably review it before long. :D

Oh yeah, that's pretty much the description! :)

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:33 am 

God damn, Blaspheme's second album fucking rules. The most mystifying, occult-ritual sounding French metal album I've heard. Magic!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:29 am 

You guys know of White Hornet? Pure NWOBHM-worship, quite a lot of fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7v5y-NmTj4

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:54 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
God damn, Blaspheme's second album fucking rules. The most mystifying, occult-ritual sounding French metal album I've heard. Magic!

Seconding this. Best of the French stuff for me, no contest.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Man_who_lost_the_sun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:00 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Seconding this. Best of the French stuff for me, no contest.

It's definitely up there, but I'd put it a little bit behind Sortilege's self titled EP and Metamorphose.

I also had no idea Medieval Steel were coming out with a full length. Any links? I'm going to have to look into this ASAP.

Also plan on checking out Crusader when I get home from work. That description makes them sound amazing! Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:01 pm 

Blaspheme are good but not Sortilège/High Power good!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:34 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

Prepare yourself for Ancient Empire: http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/20 ... _news_item

This band features the awesome Joe Liszt (ex-Rocka Rollas, Shadowkiller) on vocals, and is really great stuff. It comes out next month on Stormspell. I'm not the biggest USPM fan, but it will definitely appeal to fans of that sound.

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:22 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Yeah I kind of like that older feeling but I guess here I'm kind of aiming at an intersection between the '80s and '90s, much like Helloween's Keepers albums pointed the way to Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc. while still having one foot in the '80s.

I'm listening to a sampler of the Crystal Eyes album and I quite like what I hear...oh my god it's Daniel Heiman! Yes!

Rawhead Rexx sounds like some pretty badass speed metal, and Inquisicion is like Gamma Ray meets '70s Priest (more successfully than Gamma Ray's own dalliances with Priest worship), definitely my cup of tea.

All three of these recommendations are going on The List. :thumbsup:

I have three more recommendations for you. I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard them already, but you don't know unless you try. They are as follows:

WitchHammer - 1487

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adRFi9JODcY

Rage - The Missing Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpJ3ZpJU5Pw

Running Wild - Black Hand Inn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEFGzrbOQsw

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:26 pm 

Opus wrote:

Turns out the guy who sings on that track is actually from my hometown, go figure! And Matt St. Ours, the guy behind the project, is a nice guy who sent me both albums after I said I liked what I heard and was interested in reviewing. You guys should all check this out, topnotch 80s NWOBHM/heavy/USPM/thrash worship.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:57 am 

Just wondering why Venom and Death SS are never discussed here. The thrashers and black metallers all think they belong in the "heavy metal" camp despite them having shaped those styles. Venom in particular is more and more being swept under the rug, the conversation seems to end after "At War With Satan" and Death SS are not as beloved as their esoteric and weirdly fascinating alumnus Paul Chain.

Question for you all; what are some bands playing today reminiscent of Venom or Death SS?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:42 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Blaspheme are good but not Sortilège/High Power good!

I'd say they're better than High Power, but it's not really important. The fact is that all heavy metal fans should check these bands out (along with ADX, of course). Classic, moving and unique stuff.

Blaspheme's "flavour" of riffing really impresses me. They're dark and occasionally slightly doomy; like Sabbath meets Witchfynde's debut or something but then they still have that Sortilege-esque, hard-charging energy to them. Then the vocals occasionally add another gothic, ghostly touch (the intro of 'Orgie romaine' for example). Masters of the Dark Romantic! Alright, Stormwitch, too.

I'll share my opinions on Death SS later, my fellow Englander. ;)

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:09 am 

Blaspheme's second album is probably second for me after Sortilege's EP

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:57 am 

Best news of the day for me: Jean-Pierre Abboud of Borrowed Time joined the excellent Canadian epic doom band Funeral Circle as their new vocalist! I can't wait to see them this summer at Wings of Metal II! He fucking rips. I've just heard a demo of his vocals on one of FC's song and he sounds like David Defeis at times, marvelous!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:54 am 

Wow that is crazy news. I haven't checked them out up to this point, but I may go ahead and jump in once they start releasing new material with JP fronting. His voice is incredible and I think it may translate to doom in a powerful way.

On the french thing: Blaspheme's debut is incredible, but I haven't been able to track down the sophomore yet. As it stands now I tend to listen to the Sortilege EP the most. The bass playing gets under my skin. I don't have Metamorphose yet either, so the bonus tracks from that tacked onto my EP are a great little get. Don't sleep on Demon Eyes, fellas!

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:40 am 

Opus wrote:

I can't fucking understand that drumming :???: it's not regular Helloween double bass, or that old Kreator/Blind Guardian kind of DODO-PAFF DODO-PAFF, it's something else but I kinda liked it. The song was cool, but I guess I want more chord progressions, gets kinda boring with pumping frenetcly on E through the whole verse

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:57 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
I can't fucking understand that drumming :???: it's not regular Helloween double bass, or that old Kreator/Blind Guardian kind of DODO-PAFF DODO-PAFF, it's something else but I kinda liked it.

I actually think the drum programming is the weakest point. As you said, it doesn't make sense. For good and for bad, obviously. They really need a drummer.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:30 am 

Haha what? How is that White Hornet song NWOBHM worship at all? It has basically no more to do with NWOBHM than any other 80s style heavy/power/speed band. Anyway it's pretty mediocre; good energy, good vocals, boring riffs and songwriting.

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:44 am 

Recently I have been on a bit of a NWOBHM kick, Im looking for some more heavier bands like Persian Risk, Aragorn, Satan, and Cloven Hoof's first album. Venom are cool but not really what I am looking for right now. Bands like Dark Age with a strong NWOBHM influence would be cool too.

So fucking tight.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:07 am 

Mark Shelton wrote:
I have been absent of posting updates here for awhile but as usual the reason is because I have been so busy working on music. But the good news is that the mix on the new Manilla Road album is finally finished and the mastering of the project is being done right now.

I am not going to reveal the name of the album just yet but there is a bunch of stuff that I will talk about concerning this project. We recorded the album in my own studio, Midgard Sound Labs, where we have recorded all the albums since the reformation back in 2000. We mixed our last album, Mysterium, in another studio called Cornerstone Studios and finally it seemed we came up with the type of mix that most of the reviewers agreed was a good one. In the past I have received quite the thrashing for my drum mixes on our albums and sometimes the production as a whole. Well that criticism seemed to stop with the mix on Mysterium. We had originally planned to go ahead and mix the new album at Cornerstone Studios as well. You know, the don’t try and fix what is not broken approach. But the truth is that the mixing sessions that we did with Steve Falke at Cornerstone on the Mysterium album turned into a great learning process for myself and my engineers Derek (Dr. Doom) Brubaker and Bryan (Hellroadie) Patrick. You see when I did my internship as a recording engineer it was back in the analog days. What I am saying by that is that we were still in the world of tape recording technology and there was no digital recordings back then. Even though it is still all recording music and many of the things about it stayed constant from one medium to the other there are still a lot of things that really changed in the approach of recording since the industry changed from analog technology to digital. So it was sort of like going back to school for me and making this old dog learn some new tricks. Well me and the boys were assuredly up to the task because we took in all that we could, really focused on learning all the ins and outs of being able to put together a really good sounding mix in the digital world. It was an eye opening experience to say the least. Well by the time we had finished the recording of all the songs we were starting to hear a huge difference in the quality of the album compared to anything we had ever done. So we decided to let me take a shot at mixing the project before we took it to Cornerstone to do the mix. After some really serious work in Midgard Sound Labs for about more than a month I finished the mixes. And it has been agreed by one and all in the Manilla Road camp (yes even including Neudi who is maybe the pickiest of all of us about the mixes) that this album is by far the best recording and mix that we have ever come up with. So this was all a long winded way of telling you that we mixed it in Midgard Sound Labs as well. But never fear I know that once you have heard this album you will all agree that we finally figured out how to do it all in our own studio and make it sound like it should.

As for the music content on the album I think all MR fans new and old will really love this project. It has a bit of everything that is Manilla in it. It is a concept album more along the lines of historic and philosophical than fantasy. Centered around the beginnings of human civilization in Mesopotamia it has, to me, a really deep moral meaning and message within the concept. It is not really the typical Manilla Road concept approach but at the same time it feels like maybe the most apropos type of MR concept that there could be. I am seriously really proud of this one and so is everyone else in Camp Manilla. I can’t wait to see what the response will be from all of you once it is released.

Ok, that is all that I will say about the new project for the moment but because the mixes are finished I will have a little more time to keep doing updates here until we go back out on tour this year. So I will post more about the new album and any other stuff that is going on in a couple of weeks.

Before I sign off though I want to direct you to our merchandise page on manillaroad.net because we have some newer merchandise stuff there for you to check out. I think we have finally added womens T-shirts and some other designs maybe. You will have to go there and check it all out. I know that we will be adding more and more merch stuff to the site as time goes on so go check it out and see if there is something that you would like.

Also 2014 tour information for MR is now starting to go up on the site as our management continues to finalize contracts and shows for the tour. It looks as though Manilla Road will be all over the world again this year and I am so looking forward to getting back on the road and bringing the music to whomever wishes to see and hear it live.

Thanks to all of you for your support and helping keep the Road alive and on the road. Believe me your words and wishes to us on all the media sources are so much appreciated and please know that it always inspires us to keep on going when we think of our fans. Up The Hammers and may the gods of light be with you all.

Hail Thor & Odin
Shark

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:36 pm 

Jesus, they just released one, and they've already finished the next one?!

...No complaints here.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:51 am 

What do you guys think of Prophets of Doom? I had never heard of them until I noticed a couple of the guys later wound up in Anubis Gate, but listening to their LP for the first time, I'm liking this quite a bit. Pretty raw and wild stuff, with some twisted riffs that almost sound off-time in a kind of early Mercyful Fate way, but also with a bit of thrash influence. Some great intense falsetto too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46RG7NeoGqY

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:09 am 

We had our first gig with Rocka Rollas last saturday, check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZd7MCvHTIo
Now we're really onto something at last...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:38 am 

Man, I haven't listened to Helstar this much in years. First four albums are so good. There's a real energy to it all that makes this stuff infectious.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:48 pm 

Has anyone else bought the new Jag Panzer reissues? I have both Ample Destruction and Chain of Command on vinyl and recently ordered Shadow Thief (first legit release for the latter?). The new art on Chain of Command rules, it looks '80s and is much better than the yellow CGI puke from the Century Media release, and a song ("When the Walls Come Down") that was abridged on the Century Media version is presented in full on the reissue (6:08 instead of 4:47). If they release a new album they should get the guy who designed the reissue covers for that and Shadow Thief to do cover art for it in the same style.

High Roller Records' jackets suck the mighty suck, though. They're way too tight and make inner sleeves bunch up and wrinkle.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441 ... 625  Next