Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:27 am 

LeMiserable wrote:
Why are Schizophrenia/BtR/Arise called Death Metal albums? I can't help but hear mainly Thrash Metal in them? :ugh:

That era of Sepultura is generally considered as death/thrash metal. The music is thrash, the themes are death-inspired and the vocals are death growls.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:05 pm 

The speed and heaviness of those Sepultura albums is also somewhat death-like (or a least proto-death) but you could say the same of 'Pleasure to Kill' or even 'Hell Awaits'/'Reign in Blood.'

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:19 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
The speed and heaviness of those Sepultura albums is also somewhat death-like (or a least proto-death) but you could say the same of 'Pleasure to Kill' or even 'Hell Awaits'/'Reign in Blood.'

Max's vox make those Sepultura albums more death-like (in addition to the speed/heaviness/intensity of the music) and Mille and Araya's shouted vocals kept the music within the confines of thrash.

*had to edit. I was multi-tasking and submitted my post even before I finished my line of thought

Last edited by Immortal666 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:40 pm 

Crypt666 wrote:
You can give various interpretations on the meaning of "epic" but usually bands like Nile or Amon Amarth. Bathory (Blood Fire Death), Keep of Kalessin (Armada), Watain (Sworn To The Dark) etc etc.

:scratch: I've never heard of any of those bands other than Bathory being referred to as epic. Epic heavy metal tends to have explorative songs with multiple sections including dynamic changes used to accompany a tale. Legend's "The Golden Bell" and Manilla Road's "Cage of Mirrors" and "Dreams of Eschaton" are good examples. Perhaps the most examplary epic black metal band would be Summoning, whose concept is strong and apparent.

"Epic" should not be confused with majestic or bombastic music - tons of keyboards/symphonics and lyrics about dragons don't make music epic, the shaping factors of epic music are similar to what defines epic poetry.

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Exactly where does one draw the line between "death/thrash," and plain old "thrash" which just happens to be really fast/heavy/angry? I have noticed certain bands in the Archives like Blood Feast or Hypnosia being re-classified from "death/thrash" to just "thrash," which seems rather arbitrary - though if especially heavy thrash bands like Demolition Hammer or mid-period Sodom don't get the "death/thrash" tag then I guess it makes sense.

I don't think of thrash/death as having a dividing line, it's a fairly broad overlap. There are a lot of brutal, aggressive thrash bands that were quite extreme, but sheer extremity in thrash (i.e. Devastation, Demolition Hammer) wasn't quite the same as the other ways in which death metal was twisted - the slower parts on Death's "Leprosy" and Autopsy's stuff are an example of it, though it was shaped different ways by different folks. They are somewhat hard to separate though, and of course nearly all of the early death metallers loved bands like Kreator and Sodom.

The functional definition of music called "death metal" has been shaped by bands that came after 1990, so it isn't always understood in the same was as it was in the mid-late 80s. Death metal from roughly 1985-93 evolved as bands were led ideological concept of "death metal" and pushed existing styles further, which shaped the style. The ends of sheer extremity were reigned in in many ways in favor of refining and maturing the concept, which you'll see in the mid 90s along with the commercialization of death metal.

Immortal666 wrote:
LeMiserable wrote:
Why are Schizophrenia/BtR/Arise called Death Metal albums? I can't help but hear mainly Thrash Metal in them? :ugh:

That era of Sepultura is generally considered as death/thrash metal. The music is thrash, the themes are death-inspired and the vocals are death growls.

Sepultura played thrash metal taken to an extremely dark and evil sound - that was the kind of idea that created death metal. Death metal didn't just appear fully evolved in the early 90s, think of bands like Sepultura as being the ones who took the steps in that evolution from the mid 80s to early 90s.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:43 pm 

I've always just considered early Sep as thrash, influencial to death metal no doubt, and very heavy, but I don't hear much actual DM in their sound. Haven't actually heard the first two EPs which aren't meant to be their deathiest. Schizo and Arise pretty much entirely thrash, with BTR sneaking in a couple of DM touches.

travisvid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:26 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Therion isn't the first symphonic metal band. Savatage played around with symphonic elements long before, and I'm willing to bet there are even earlier examples.

Symphonic metal could be based on any sort of metal. Therion has their own sound because they first started adding symphonic elements to their Swedish death metal sound, then gradually moved toward a death metal influenced sound on later albums. Of course they aren't "Symphonic death metal" these days, but the death metal hasn't been completely eliminated (the song Dis from Sitra Ahra). They are just an example of a symphonic metal band that is not based on either power or gothic metal. Though, both of those genres are elements in some Therion songs as well.

Savatage is symphonic metal based on 80s power metal and progressive metal. Even their flashier, bombastic counterpart Trans-Siberian Orchestra sounds absolutely nothing like Nightwish.

nasum wrote:
Immortal666 wrote:
I have a question about symphonic metal. Is this sub-genre rooted in power metal or goth metal? The most popular bands that have been labeled as symphonic metal are Rhapsody, Nightwish and Within Temptation. The first two came from power metal while WT started off as goth metal. At which point did they become symphonic metal? I'm assuming this is a valid sub-genre with a whole bunch of bands listed as such in M-A.

Well, isn't Therion first symphonic metal band? When I first heard about symphonic metal I heard about Therion. And Therion started as death metal band. Later I listened to Septic Flesh, very cool band from Greece, especially their earlier stuff. Also started as death metal.
Symphonic metal isn't something strictly defined, but when I think about it I think of gothic metal mostly. I think symphonic metal is description used to describe bands using operatic vocals like Therion, elements of or entire symphonic orchestra, and other various elements usually not found in metal.

It's like melodic part in melodic death metal, it describes another approach at death metal sound. So, pure 'sypmhonic metal' is not very exact description, at least for me, though I guess when you'd check out some band described as only 'symphonic metal' you'd get symphonic gothic metal in most cases.

This was Celtic Frost (1985 - To Mega Therion) later Savatage (1987 Hall of the Mountain King), play or not, Celtic Frost was a pinnacle to proto-symphonic metal and avant-garde elements with a mix of Death/Thrash/Black with a ground of heaviness on it.

Omnipotems Potemtum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:56 am 

I heard about alien metal, do you guys know about it? wtf xd

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:29 am 

Every CF album prior to 'Cold Lake' was ridiculously ahead of its time - 'Morbid Tales' and 'TMT' for their pioneering and refinement, respectively, of what would come to be commonplace extreme metal elements, and 'Pandemonium' for its WTF (at the time) avant-garde aspects. One classic metal band that isn't overrated in the slightest.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:05 pm 

travisvid wrote:
This was Celtic Frost (1985 - To Mega Therion) later Savatage (1987 Hall of the Mountain King), play or not, Celtic Frost was a pinnacle to proto-symphonic metal and avant-garde elements with a mix of Death/Thrash/Black with a ground of heaviness on it.

Proto-symphonic metal? Celtic Frost? To Mega Therion? :???:

This is why this is called the [stupid] genre question megathread. There's plenty of debate amongst commonly accepted terms like death/black/thrash when it comes to Celtic Frost as they were one of the pioneers in pushing to a more extreme style. It makes no sense to use an unconventional term to describe something like that. It is especially perplexing to call it proto-something that it doesn't sound like.

Omnipotems Potemtum wrote:

That's a lyrical theme, not a style of music. Listen to Agent Steel.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:12 am 

travisvid wrote:

Ehhhh.... o_O
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

travisvid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:43 am 

Omnipotems Potemtum wrote:

That's a lyrical theme, not a style of music. Listen to Agent Steel.[/quote]

Terrion by Scanner (Hypertrace album) is alien metal, just listen the vocals and chorus.

Zodijackyl wrote:
travisvid wrote:

Proto-symphonic metal? Celtic Frost? To Mega Therion? :???:

There is some elements, sorry if don't clean your ears, Into the Pandemonium yep is more symphonic metal (sorrows of the moon for example, later cover by therion :] )

Innocence And Wrath and Necromantical Screams are first steps to Symphonic.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:47 am 

travisvid wrote:
Terrion by Scanner (Hypertrace album) is alien metal, just listen the vocals and chorus.

You're not very good at trolling, are you?

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:36 pm 

Talking about death/thrash: death metal isn't about growls and gory lyrics only, it is based on riffs, death metal riffs. It's not so hard to find death metal riffs in late 80's bands like Num Skull, Pestilence, Devastation, Sadus, Incubus, etc. They are death/thrash. You can hear death riffs in early Celtic Frost, Sepultura and Possessed as well, it is death/thrash too.

Slayer, Dark Angel, Morbid Saint, Demolition Hammer, Exhorder etc. are more aggressive and violent than typical/classical thrash like Exodus, Metallica, Testament, Forbidden. Do they have death riffs? Little to zero, so they are thrash metal. Production, sound, growls, gory lyrics doesn't make a band death metal :) Exhorder stated in the interview that they wanted to make "Slaughter in the Vatican" in the vein of crossover/hardcore, they were Black Flag/Dead Kennedys fans but it was produced by Scott Burns, so we got another production, close to death metal.

Symphonic metal: not a genre without the main genre after the word "symphonic". Just a term to describe bands that use symphonic elements, be it just a few samples over each song, additional violin/harpsichord or real orchestra. So even a bedroom band can be symphonic metal using cheap synth arrangements made in some sort of music-making software as well as Therion which recorded albums with symphonic orchestra and choirs ("Lemuria" and "Sirius B", where about 170 musicians were involved).

Epic metal: the same as symphonic, without the main genre means just nothing. If you want to hear epic heavy metal, Thunder Rider, Dark Quarterer, Manilla Road mid 80's-era are the best examples, there are not many bands playing this style at all.

Celtic Frost: this band is no doubt the most influential in all extreme metal genres, i.e. thrash, death, black metal and even grindcore (Napalm Death were partially influenced by early/proto-death metal bands) with their first two albums, in doom/death and death/doom, gothic metal bands of 90's and of course Therion with "Into the Pandemonium". Swedish death metal, 90's doom/death, gothic metal are all created because of Celtic Frost.

travisvid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:06 pm 

Slayer are aggressive and violent? eh, Hell Awaits sure is a mix of Death/Thrash, but RIB and follow albums is just Thrash, SNM is obvious NWOBHM and speed metal...

Celtic Frost sounds like Venom just more dirty, better production, etc.

Therion was influence by all of Celtic Frost not only Into the Pandemonium (more notable in Lepaca Kliffoth)

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:30 am 

aeternus1990 wrote:

Symphonic metal: not a genre without the main genre after the word "symphonic". Just a term to describe bands that use symphonic elements, be it just a few samples over each song, additional violin/harpsichord or real orchestra. So even a bedroom band can be symphonic metal using cheap synth arrangements made in some sort of music-making software as well as Therion which recorded albums with symphonic orchestra and choirs ("Lemuria" and "Sirius B", where about 170 musicians were involved).

I'd say Haggard are 'symphonic metal' and not 'symphonic death metal'. The metal present in Haggard is pretty non-descript and yes, there's growls, but 'symphonic death metal' would imply much more death metal than just growls.

last.fm

BIaziken
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:41 pm 

Why do people consider the Black Dahlia Murder deathcore? All I hear in their music is melodic death metal.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:16 pm 

BIaziken wrote:
Why do people consider the Black Dahlia Murder deathcore? All I hear in their music is melodic death metal.

People don't, well, it's been some time since I heard anyone calling them deathcore. Currently, they play melodic death metal, but they also played some metalcore earlier in their careers, so maybe people associate them with being scene or whatever.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:59 am 

not sure if this has already been brought up yet but every time I hear the term "nintendocore" my left eye starts to twitch a little bit, like, how d'you tell if it's post ataricore or not?

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:27 am 

BG: Does anyone know what the hell is modern metal? There are bands on MA classified as modern metal such as this one http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Thi ... 3540341696 but I can't find anywhere a clear definition of it.

Last.fm says that "Modern metal, like Modern rock, is an Umbrella term, usually used for bands with a more “modern”, current sound. Genres considered part of Modern metal include melodic death metal, metalcore, cyber metal, djent and sometimes progressive metal." If that definition is correct than why aren't those bands such as the one I've already listed simply classified as "melodic death metal, metalcore, cyber metal, djent and sometimes progressive metal"? It would be clearer for all of us.

BG2: What the hell is cyber metal? I'm tired of hearing about strange metal genres all the time. Could you please list any of these micro-weird genres you know such as modern metal, cyber metal and dark metal so I won't be surprised when I hear about them again?

Thanks.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:29 am 

Cyber metal is metal with electronic influences, like cybergrind. I know cybergrind generally uses breakcore, I'm not sure if that's also the case with cyber metal. #3 in my signature is a good example of cyber-deathgrind, in case you're interested.

Like was said before on symphonic metal, I'd say that cyber metal isn't anything until you specify what kind of metal it is. Same goes for modern metal, possibly. I myself use the term modern to specify that it has a good production and a post-2000 style.

last.fm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:23 am 

FYI, we're trying to phase out the modern (XYZ) metal/rock tag from the genre field. Only 30 entries remain in the database, hopefully to be eliminated completely sooner or later.

Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:17 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
not sure if this has already been brought up yet but every time I hear the term "nintendocore" my left eye starts to twitch a little bit, like, how d'you tell if it's post ataricore or not?

What's even weirder is that PlayStationCore could be a Sony label.

'eye twitch'

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:36 am 

Ohrwurm wrote:
Cyber metal is metal with electronic influences, like cybergrind. I know cybergrind generally uses breakcore, I'm not sure if that's also the case with cyber metal. #3 in my signature is a good example of cyber-deathgrind, in case you're interested.

Like was said before on symphonic metal, I'd say that cyber metal isn't anything until you specify what kind of metal it is. Same goes for modern metal, possibly. I myself use the term modern to specify that it has a good production and a post-2000 style.

It seems cyber metal is metal leaning on EBM/aggrotech (well, that was the conclusion the guys arrived at in rateyourmusic at least), so I use the tag sparsely accordingly. Really, not many bands fit that description.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 am 

Well, looks like modern metal and modern rock aren't real at all. But I've just stumbled upon another stupid sh*t: pirate metal. Honestly, could this genre even be real?

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am 

Pirate metal isn't a real genre, it means only that these bands playing metal and have lyrics about pirates.

Modern metal is not a real genre too, many metalheads use it as a short for modern melodic death metal.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:52 pm 

pirate metal has the potential to be an actual microgenre though. There used to be some old maritime focused folk music tradition in the past right? At least running wild seems to have taken some from this too.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:51 am 

"I am very curious to know how many REAL metal microgenres are there. I already know about war metal, dark metal, atmospheric metal and southern metal but I'm pretty sure there must be even more such microgenres. Please, don't say modern metal.

EDIT: Hey, did you know there was one band here on MA listed as horror metal? Is this genre real?
Trece X: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Trece_X/3540326884"

I created a new thread to ask that but iamntbatman locked it. The main question is "are there any other microgenres excepting the ones I've posted?" but iamntbatman advised me to post it in this thread, apparently because of my second question. So... I've asked again... in the correct thread.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:22 am 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
EDIT: Hey, did you know there was one band here on MA listed as horror metal? Is this genre real?
Trece X: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Trece_X/3540326884"[/b]

That's an oversight, a leftover from whatever nonsense the original submitter put in there. Removed.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:34 am 

I suck at genres myself, got two minor questions:

Isn't Dimmu Borgir's For All Tid better classified as Melodic Black Metal instead of Symphonic Black Metal?
http://youtu.be/PH8N2Lifc3A

Is Disgorge's Gorge This EP actually Grindcore or better classified as Brutal Death/Grind?
http://youtu.be/ksyxFiPopU4

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:02 pm 

Crypt666 wrote:
Isn't Dimmu Borgir's For All Tid better classified as Melodic Black Metal instead of Symphonic Black Metal?

Its a little of both.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:41 am 

Ritual_Suicide wrote:
Crypt666 wrote:

Its a little of both.

So maybe it's better to just classify it as regular Black Metal? I have so many bands that use symphonic elements in their music like Lunar Aurora for example yet still they are not listed as such on MA but as regular BM.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:57 am 

Perhaps a really stupid genre question but who fills out the genre tag on the bands their main page in the first place? Are they classified by some expert/team of experts or do they simply fill this out themselves?

Especially with the Brutal Death Metal bands this often seems to become a rather vague terrain, and take Desaster (GER) for example, they started out as a regular BM band but it is not mentioned while for example Napalm Death does say "Hardcore Punk" early because of their demos.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:56 am 

Crypt666 wrote:
Ritual_Suicide wrote:
Its a little of both.

So maybe it's better to just classify it as regular Black Metal? I have so many bands that use symphonic elements in their music like Lunar Aurora for example yet still they are not listed as such on MA but as regular BM.

Symphonic elements alone don't make symphonic black metal. It has to be prominent.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:16 pm 

Crypt666 wrote:
Perhaps a really stupid genre question but who fills out the genre tag on the bands their main page in the first place? Are they classified by some expert/team of experts or do they simply fill this out themselves?

Especially with the Brutal Death Metal bands this often seems to become a rather vague terrain, and take Desaster (GER) for example, they started out as a regular BM band but it is not mentioned while for example Napalm Death does say "Hardcore Punk" early because of their demos.

It's initially filled out by the person who submits the band; later, if the genre is inaccurate (or has become so through exclusion), a report is filed by the userbase and a moderator (who is generally expected to have listened to enough metal music to assign an appropriate tag) changes it.

In the Desaster/Napalm Death discrepancy you mention, the best way to solve it in consistency with unspoken website policy would be to remove "Hardcore Punk" from Napalm Death's genre. Generally, if a band played a drastically different genre on only one album amid an otherwise lengthy career, it's not accounted for (see Moonspell, Celtic Frost [though in their case I'm not sure how it was decided that their Monotheist period was deemed worthy of documentation above Cold Lake when it, too, was only for one album]) unless the oddball releases are a large part of why the band have been accepted to the website (Mr. Bungle, Hank Williams III).

EDIT: Moonspell's was apparently changed back to include black metal since the last time I checked. :P I suppose it's arbitrary to some extent, but I see most consolidation-type edits being done by Morrigan so I presume that could be construed as the definitive manner of classification.

BIaziken
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:25 pm 

Can someone explain the difference between stoner doom and regular doom metal?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:01 pm 

^ Just dealing with quintessential bands, not technical aspects: Electric Wizard vs. Pagan Altar.

Don't worry, you can smoke weed to both.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:21 am 

Is Cryptopsy really brutal death? It's definitely techdeath, but I struggle to hear what makes it brutal death too though, first 2 albums are very chaotic techdeath but not brutal death to me.. same goes for practically anything they've made except the deathcore album...

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:42 pm 

I'd say Cryptopsy is one of those weird cases where a band has some elements of BDM but uses them in a way that wouldn't really warrant classification as a standalone BDM band, perhaps similar to the situation with Prostitute Disfigurement or Aborted. The fastest parts of Cryptopsy's music would fit seamlessly in a "classic"-styled BDM band like Defeated Sanity, though.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:31 am 

BIaziken wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between stoner doom and regular doom metal?

Doom metal is the trunk and its closer to its hard rock/blues roots, similar to early Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Trouble, Candlemass & etc. Stoner doom is one of the many branches and is more groovy and well stoney, its a more narrow and specific spectrum, think bands like Sleep, YOB, Electric Wizard, & etc.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:33 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:
Is Cryptopsy really brutal death? It's definitely techdeath, but I struggle to hear what makes it brutal death too though, first 2 albums are very chaotic techdeath but not brutal death to me.. same goes for practically anything they've made except the deathcore album...

They have a bit of both. I usually refer to them as death metal, plain and simple since they don't have a huge predominant element to tag it otherwise, almost like CC which is also quite technical and was an influence to bdm in general terms.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 49  Next