Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:57 pm 

Metal and fantasy seems go hand and hand, I was wondering if there is any metal songs about the forgotten realms, I surprising can't think of any, as a fan of both, it would be cool to hear.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:02 am 

Forgotten realms?

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:08 am 

Smalley wrote:
Forgotten realms?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:50 am 

Blind Guardian has a song about Raistlin, called 'The Soulforged'. He's a character of the Forgotten Realms, if I'm not mistaken.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:10 am 

Thiestru wrote:
Blind Guardian has a song about Raistlin, called 'The Soulforged'. He's a character of the Forgotten Realms, if I'm not mistaken.

You are. He's a DragonLance character.

I know some other bands having lyrics about DragonLance, but I can't remember any about Forgotten Realms. After a quick search, though, I found this: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/La ... tones/6498

Faerun is mentioned in the lyrics of track 8.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:54 pm 

The dark elf in Blind Guardian's Live album cover - isn't that everyone's pet favourite Forgotten Realms character? I don't know if they have any lyrics about it, though.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:20 pm 

I´m a huge fan of the Forgotten Realms, Baldur´s Gate is one of my favorite games ever.

Anyone know any extreme metal on this?

last.fm

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:33 pm 

LoTR obviously inspired a lot of band names but i cant think of any songs that have specific content taken from it in metal.

Warcraft has Elite Tauren Chieftain.

warhammer has bolt thrower, but thats applicable to 40K. and again, thats just a band name (though i dont listen to them so they could have some songs regarding the universe too for all i know).

I only have 1 dragonlance book that i havent finished yet, so i wouldnt know any references unless they were very blatant (though someone clarified that blind guardian wrote about that universe)

forgotten realms im not sure of either. considering its D&D and the popularity behind that, im assuming that there are quite a few other bands out there who have written about the D&D universe that have just gone under the radar

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:42 pm 

Cursarion wrote:
Thiestru wrote:

You are. He's a DragonLance character.

I know some other bands having lyrics about DragonLance, but I can't remember any about Forgotten Realms. After a quick search, though, I found this: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/La ... tones/6498

Faerun is mentioned in the lyrics of track 8.

Ah, my mistake. Thanks for the correction. I never delved too deep into the D & D universe, aside from the classic computer games based on it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:29 am 

hots_towel wrote:
LoTR obviously inspired a lot of band names but i cant think of any songs that have specific content taken from it in metal.

Really? Lord of the Rings is a very common theme in metal, and you even mentioned a band that has used that theme in their songs (Blind Guardian). Other notable bands include Summoning, Burzum, Rush and Horna.

It does more commonly appear in band names and perhaps imagery than outright lyrical content.

Gus Kiriakis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:15 am 

Forgotten Realms? Not to my knowledge.

As far as fantasy goes, the no1 influence (by far) is clearly Tolkien. From band names (Amon Amarth, Gorgoroth), band memeber aliases (the infamous Count Grishnackh aka Varg Vikernes), songs (as early as Black Sabbath's The Wizard refers to Gandalf according to Geezer), to concept albums (Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-Earth).

No2 comes Moorcock, especially Elric. Having inspired 60s-70s hard rock bands that spawned heavy metal (like Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult) to songs (Blind Guardian's Quest for Tanelorn) to concept albums (Domine's first 3 albums).

Regarding D&D, the only things that come to mind are Dragonlance (Blind Guardian's The Soulforged referring to Raistlin, and a new band called Solamnia, referring to the land of the Solamnic Knights), then Greyhawk (Sons of Kyuss, later Kyuss, referring to the deity Kyuss and his undead spawn).

hots_towel wrote:
warhammer has bolt thrower, but thats applicable to 40K. and again, thats just a band name (though i dont listen to them so they could have some songs regarding the universe too for all i know).

Being an avid Warhammer addict (both Fantasy and 40k) I can state for a fact that Realms of Chaos has uber WH40k songs in the likes of these:

Spoiler: show
Through the Eye of Terror

Plague-Bearer

World Eater

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:45 pm 

I made a similar thread some time ago looking for (general) D&D themes in metal…

Besides that - in 1996 me and some friends had a short lived BM band (mainly influenced by
Dimmu Borgir's "For all tid" and Gehenna's "First Spell") called Draconian (no, it's not here listed
on MA :wink: ) and I wrote three songs about the "Time of Troubles" (the Avatar book series from
the Forgotten Realms). I still think this is a perfect theme for metal… :headbang:

Unfortunately the tape we recorded got lost in the sands of time… :cry:

Reply to topic