Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:36 am 

Alright, analysis of new recs:

Harbinger - This rules. Pretty much exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks!
Metal Inquisitor - I'm familiar with this band already. They're pretty good but not quite as off-the-rails fast as I'm looking for.
Battleaxe - Is the title track from the new album representative of the rest of it? If so, this is more like rockin' mid-fast Accept than it is the sort of crazy speed metal I'm after.
Evil Killer - This is such a deliciously retarded band name. Also basically exactly the kind of stuff I'm after!
Volutre - Yeah, I know about these guys. Also cool, but too rockin'/heavy metal and not enough fast. Too slow to owl, basically.
Blade Killer - Ok, this is also the sort of stuff I'm after (at least, "On the Attack" is...dunno what the whole album's like based on just these two songs). I'm finding the pattern is "stupid band name where the second word is 'killer' " is the algorithm I need to be using.
Gladius - What the fuck is this? This sounds basically exactly like Helstar meets Deceased, recorded inside of an asshole. This is pretty much amazing.
Stallion - The production on this is PHENOMENAL (the vocals on this one are my favorite out of all the recommendations so far for sure). "Shadow Run" is exactly perfect. I wish it were all that fast/awesome.

Lots of great stuff in this batch, thanks dudes.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:37 am 

Between Ranger, Iron Curtain, and a few others, it seems like the underground power/speed metal scene is fairly healthy these days. Throw in the excellent new Primal Fear record and you have reason for even a non-power-metal fan like me to get excited.

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:06 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
I've had an extremely hard time trying to find power metal that has both huge wailing Euro-power hooks and choruses and almighty guitar riffage. The European, especially German power metal bands that have an extra dose of riffage (Abraxas, Paragon, Iron Savior, STS 8 Mission, etc., etc.) usually have a pretty restrained vocal style. My power metal holy grail is something like "The Marriage of Helloween and Helstar". Like take that Keldian album, kill the keyboards, jack up the tempo, rev the vocals up an octave and a half, and dump the combined riffing power of Nosferatu, Iron Savior, and Alice in Hell into a balls to the wall shrieking, wailing, riffing colossus.

(Keepers Helloween, no Deris shit)

Have you listened to the album Timeless Miracle - Into The Enchanted Chamber? It might be a step in the right direction for what you are looking for, though it does still have keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEMVPtUc-q0

There's also Derdian, though it does also have keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er5KD7SyhNI

Another option is Lost Horizon, but I'd be surprised if you haven't heard anything by them!

EDIT: Upon further thought, I think you may be looking for something more along the lines of Scanner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnFd6D8f4c8

Last edited by Xileize on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 am 

doooooooooooom wrote:
Is there such thing as depressing/melancholic power metal? If so, I'd be very interested in some recommendations.

Early Tad Morose is what you need specifically their first two albums. Check out the song "Different Eyes".

Also the band Mind's Eye is brilliant for crafting melancholic prog tinged power metal songs.

Virgin Steele really has some brilliant melancholic tunes too;

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:47 am 

Xileize wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
I've had an extremely hard time trying to find power metal that has both huge wailing Euro-power hooks and choruses and almighty guitar riffage. The European, especially German power metal bands that have an extra dose of riffage (Abraxas, Paragon, Iron Savior, STS 8 Mission, etc., etc.) usually have a pretty restrained vocal style. My power metal holy grail is something like "The Marriage of Helloween and Helstar". Like take that Keldian album, kill the keyboards, jack up the tempo, rev the vocals up an octave and a half, and dump the combined riffing power of Nosferatu, Iron Savior, and Alice in Hell into a balls to the wall shrieking, wailing, riffing colossus.

(Keepers Helloween, no Deris shit)

Have you listened to the album Timeless Miracle - Into The Enchanted Chamber? It might be a step in the right direction for what you are looking for, though it does still have keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEMVPtUc-q0

There's also Derdian, though it does also have keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er5KD7SyhNI

Another option is Lost Horizon, but I'd be surprised if you haven't heard anything by them!

EDIT: Upon further thought, I think you may be looking for something more along the lines of Scanner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnFd6D8f4c8

Yeah Scanner (which I have heard before) is closer to what I'm looking for (if Scanner had Lost Horizon's vocals it would be closer still). The Timeless Miracle song just sounds like typical Euro-power to me (lots of root chords) and I didn't like the Derdian song at all.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:22 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Harbinger - This rules. Pretty much exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks!

Score! I'm really glad to hear that you liked 'em. If you end up snagging the album (highly recommended, it's dirt cheap all over the internet) you'll find that they're not constant speed all the time, but when they slow down it's usually to do something really cool and only bolsters the power of the speed when it returns.

I dig the vocals too. They're snotty.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:41 am 

Yeah, it was cool for sure. I'd love to buy it but for now I have to completely curtail my music purchasing as I'm trying to save up as much money as possible and am therefore practicing a monkish asceticism, plus I don't wanna add more CD's to a collection that's about to go into storage for years anyway.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:10 pm 

I still can't piece together why people love the new Primal Fear. It's so boring. And usually I defend boring midtempo power metal but their hooks do not sink in at all. It's been their problem since Devil's Ground. The same goes for their bassist's band, Sinner, who used to be one of my favorites and then completely gave up after "There Will Be Execution".

Sad to see my German brothers stop giving a shit.

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:08 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Yeah Scanner (which I have heard before) is closer to what I'm looking for (if Scanner had Lost Horizon's vocals it would be closer still). The Timeless Miracle song just sounds like typical Euro-power to me (lots of root chords) and I didn't like the Derdian song at all.

Now that I have a better idea of what to suggest, I have a few more options. I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard a lot of them before, if not all of them.

Attack - The Secret Place. I'm a big fan of these guys, every album is great in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7wKbWsH01E

Persuader - Evolution Purgatory. A lot heavier and harsher than a lot of euro power, the singer gets compared to Hansi Kursch of Blind Guardian a lot. Sometimes I can hear it quite distinctly, sometimes I can't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiO-5uA41NI

Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's Ransom. This album is incredible from start to finish, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThaGerRmp9Y

Nocturnal Rites - Tales of Mystery and Imagination. I've only listened to this a few times myself and I'm still not sure about it. I'll have to give it a few more spins before I can say how I feel about it, but I thought I'd share it none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eD7LkuaFX8

Stratovarius - Fright Night. This album is quite unlike all the rest, it's a lot more straight forward and it people seem to have mixed views on it. I personally much prefer Twilight Time and Dreamspace, but that's just me. Seeing as you suggested Dreamspace to someone last page though, I will assume you've probably given it a listen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UFuFQjXTTw

Heaven's Gate - Livin' In Hysteria. Not sure if I'm a fan of the vocals, but they'll probably grow on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aux4OxNkHcg

Heavy Load - Death Or Glory. I'm not sure if I prefer this album or Stronger Than Evil, but this one is heavier and more straight foward, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfcz-JZaCo

I personally find that vocals are what stop me from enjoying certain bands the most, so that's probably the hardest thing to pinpoint for me. Either way, hopefully at least one thing will interest you if you haven't heard them all before, even if it's not what you were looking for!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:15 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Score! I'm really glad to hear that you liked 'em. If you end up snagging the album (highly recommended, it's dirt cheap all over the internet) you'll find that they're not constant speed all the time, but when they slow down it's usually to do something really cool and only bolsters the power of the speed when it returns.

I dig the vocals too. They're snotty.

Yeah Harbinger are pretty sweet, their debut is one of the last albums I got before I scaled back my album buying. It came out back in 2009, makes me wonder if they'll ever put out anything else.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 pm 

Holy shit, what?! There's a new Ancient Bards coming out tomorrow and no one told me?! AND IT HAS A COVER OF "MELODIES OF LIFE" FROM FINAL FANTASY IX IN IT?!?

I think I shall have to listen to this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:25 am 

Yeah we pretty much all conspired to make sure you knew nothing about it. Worked pretty well I guess.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:26 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah we pretty much all conspired to make sure you knew nothing about it. Worked pretty well I guess.

You bastards! :grr:

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:40 pm 

Xileize wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:

Now that I have a better idea of what to suggest, I have a few more options. I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard a lot of them before, if not all of them.

Attack - The Secret Place. I'm a big fan of these guys, every album is great in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7wKbWsH01E

Persuader - Evolution Purgatory. A lot heavier and harsher than a lot of euro power, the singer gets compared to Hansi Kursch of Blind Guardian a lot. Sometimes I can hear it quite distinctly, sometimes I can't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiO-5uA41NI

Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's Ransom. This album is incredible from start to finish, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThaGerRmp9Y

Nocturnal Rites - Tales of Mystery and Imagination. I've only listened to this a few times myself and I'm still not sure about it. I'll have to give it a few more spins before I can say how I feel about it, but I thought I'd share it none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eD7LkuaFX8

Stratovarius - Fright Night. This album is quite unlike all the rest, it's a lot more straight forward and it people seem to have mixed views on it. I personally much prefer Twilight Time and Dreamspace, but that's just me. Seeing as you suggested Dreamspace to someone last page though, I will assume you've probably given it a listen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UFuFQjXTTw

Heaven's Gate - Livin' In Hysteria. Not sure if I'm a fan of the vocals, but they'll probably grow on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aux4OxNkHcg

Heavy Load - Death Or Glory. I'm not sure if I prefer this album or Stronger Than Evil, but this one is heavier and more straight foward, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfcz-JZaCo

I personally find that vocals are what stop me from enjoying certain bands the most, so that's probably the hardest thing to pinpoint for me. Either way, hopefully at least one thing will interest you if you haven't heard them all before, even if it's not what you were looking for!

Those are closer (and I have listened to Fright Night and Evolution Purgatory before, but none of those are quite as over the top I'm looking for (they're plenty good in their own right but they're not the sound I have a jones for right now), except Evolution Purgatory, but that album is too modern sounding and "aggro". Heaven's Gate comes closest, if they took crystal meth before recording their album they'd be even closer.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:15 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah Harbinger are pretty sweet, their debut is one of the last albums I got before I scaled back my album buying. It came out back in 2009, makes me wonder if they'll ever put out anything else.

That whole Michigan crew is so incestuous with all their different bands and projects, who knows what happens next. The Harbinger album does have a "one and done" feel to me for some reason. Kind of like they've said everything they had to say. I wish I hadn't missed so much of their set in Chicago...didn't know how good they were.

BATJIM: One last recommendation but I need to throw some qualifiers. For one, it's an older band so you may have heard them already. Secondly, please keep in mind that they are not speed metal, they just have a few speed metal jams on their album. But the entire album has this effortlessly catchy sound, and the vocalist has personality coming out of his nose:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:53 pm 

Their new stuff is actually pretty sweet too, though not speedy.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:39 pm 

You know I've still not checked out ANYTHING else by them besides Fire in the Brain. Do they have other stuff from the 80s you would say is worth while?

I've been obsessing over the In Solitude debut lately. Those opening 3 songs are SO powerful. Especially The Kathedral works it's magic on me every time.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:40 pm 

My favorite from the album is still "The Monolith." That chorus...

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 pm 

You're right, I just haven't internalized the back half of the album as much yet. He delivers "all hail Satan" like he REALLY fucking means it though and I always adore that.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:24 pm 

I'm pretty disappointed with the direction that In Solitude ended up going. Not that the third album is bad exactly, more that what the band were was a lot more worthwhile and important to metal as a whole. How many straight-up heavy metal bands are delivering "all hail Satan" as convincingly, these days? If they'd just refined that sound they could've been this generation's Mercyful Fate or something, instead they're dabbling with other genres and diluting their glorious satanic purity!

In fact, that annoys me about a lot of newer bands. I've heard a lot of debuts which had me thinking "pretty good, but if they keep at it for another album or two they could be great," but then the band just gives up on that initial sound and heads in a new, usually worse, direction. Portrait is an example of a band that didn't do that, and it turned out fucking awesome for them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:27 pm 

The debut is still my favorite In Solitude. I wouldn't say any of their albums are great, but that one comes pretty close - some nice riffs and scorching leads going on. Just fun, old school metal ... nice, frivolous attitude.

OZ's Dominator album smokes pretty hard. I was addicted to that when it came out, great old school fun. I should listen to it again.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 pm 

Man, I JUST came back to heap more praise on the debut. I was an idiot for even trying to point out specific songs. They were on fire. 7th Ghost is a riffing feast.

I haven't had the heart to check out Sister. I never even really understood their sophomore album, there were a few cool moments but nothing ever drew me back.

I'm going to listen to Portrait soon I guess. I can't afford to miss out on something potentially as good or better than this album.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:42 pm 

Portait's debut isn't that great, the singer kinda sucks, but on the second one they got a new guy and the songwriting got a lot better and HOLY SHIT IT RULES.

Also their third album came out today! I don't really have a fully-formed opinion on it yet but it isn't really a departure from their sound on the second album, which is a very good thing.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:43 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
AND IT HAS A COVER OF "MELODIES OF LIFE" FROM FINAL FANTASY IX IN IT?!?

I think I shall have to listen to this.

Holy shit that's awesome. FF9 is one of my favorite games of all time, due in no small part to the incredible soundtrack!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:02 pm 

Can't listen to the track at the moment but I'll try to come back for it. The album's cheap so I went ahead and snagged it.

(And Volcanic Rock but that's not relevant)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:03 pm 

In Solitude's debut was a pretty damn good trad metal album but their sophomore had longer songs and it was not as cohesive and enjoyable. It still had catchy numbers like Demons or Serpents are Rising though. Sister brought something new to the table, I really liked the gothic rock influences, it's fresh and it felt like a natural direction!

The new Portrait will surely be good, 42 minutes with 8 songs, pretty much the perfect formula for modern trad metal and the cover art is nice.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Po ... ads/404598

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 pm 

Oish, I should check out the new Portrait too. I really liked their sophomore album.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:01 pm 

This track sounds pretty awesome, at least.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 pm 

That OZ track was pretty cool, Jonpo. Loved the wacky multi-tracked vocals.

Really good to hear that the new Portrait is good and in a similar vein to the sophomore, as that album totally kills and it'd be a shame if they decided to make a prog album or add a horn section or some shit like that.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:09 am 

failsafeman wrote:
then the band just gives up on that initial sound and heads in a new, usually worse, direction.

They "mature".

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:20 pm 

Oh man, that Portrait track is super rad. I'm definitely gonna have to check out the new album, hopefully it will all be close to that quality. I've been spinning Attic's debut a lot lately, too. So much sweet MF worship! I wonder if A Tortured Soul will ever put out another album, their last one was so fucking killer.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:14 pm 

Opus wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
then the band just gives up on that initial sound and heads in a new, usually worse, direction.

They "mature".

Heh, exactly.

Jophelerx wrote:
I wonder if A Tortured Soul will ever put out another album, their last one was so fucking killer.

They've apparently been working on a new one for a while, but you know how it is with these dadbands, they have jobs and families and whatever so it tends to take them forever. Just be patient, I'm sure it'll come out eventually.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:23 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
mudrnudl wrote:
Describe "very best vocals" by naming other albums from that collage of yours, please.

Why don't you just describe why you disagree if you are so interested in discussing this matter?

I do not disagree. I just typed it in a funny way. Actually I pretty much agree with you. Would like to know other bands you find that interesting for vocal lines.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:48 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Those are closer (and I have listened to Fright Night and Evolution Purgatory before, but none of those are quite as over the top I'm looking for (they're plenty good in their own right but they're not the sound I have a jones for right now), except Evolution Purgatory, but that album is too modern sounding and "aggro". Heaven's Gate comes closest, if they took crystal meth before recording their album they'd be even closer.

I absolutely second that Heavens Gate suggestion. They are greatly underrated. I love all of their albums. If I get it right you like if the record has the older feel to it. So try first or second album of theirs.
If I were you I would definitely check out this album - Rawhead Rexx: Rawhead Rexx.
As well as - Crystal Eyes: Vengeance Descending.

These guys are not from Europe however their style is exactly what you are looking for - Inquisicion: Black Leather from Hell.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:55 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Portait's debut isn't that great, the singer kinda sucks, but on the second one they got a new guy and the songwriting got a lot better and HOLY SHIT IT RULES.

Y'know, I never actually checked these guys out before. Sounds like someone took a Persuader track, replaced the vocalist with 80s King Diamond, and gave it a production job to match.

...Bitchin'.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:48 pm 

mudrnudl wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:

I absolutely second that Heavens Gate suggestion. They are greatly underrated. I love all of their albums. If I get it right you like if the record has the older feel to it. So try first or second album of theirs.
If I were you I would definitely check out this album - Rawhead Rexx: Rawhead Rexx.
As well as - Crystal Eyes: Vengeance Descending.

These guys are not from Europe however their style is exactly what you are looking for - Inquisicion: Black Leather from Hell.

Yeah I kind of like that older feeling but I guess here I'm kind of aiming at an intersection between the '80s and '90s, much like Helloween's Keepers albums pointed the way to Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc. while still having one foot in the '80s.

I'm listening to a sampler of the Crystal Eyes album and I quite like what I hear...oh my god it's Daniel Heiman! Yes!

Rawhead Rexx sounds like some pretty badass speed metal, and Inquisicion is like Gamma Ray meets '70s Priest (more successfully than Gamma Ray's own dalliances with Priest worship), definitely my cup of tea.

All three of these recommendations are going on The List. :thumbsup:

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:38 pm 

FYI Inquisicion's first album is 100x better than anything they did later, at least in my book. Really great stuff. The lead guitar especially is ridonkulous, and the lyrics are awesome as well. HEAR MY PRAYER, SHUB-NIGGURATH! The only knocks against the album is a few songs don't work quite so well, and the production is a bit demo-ish. Otherwise though, 90%+.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:46 pm 

Portait is amazing, don't even speak of Persuader next to them haha.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:37 am 

That Portrait song cooks, glad I ordered the album.

Not sure what's going on with this Lord's of the Crimson Alliance digipak CD, but I went ahead and ordered mine. Obviously it's a bootleg, just hoping for a decent quality. I also grabbed that odd little Jotenheim EP Jophelex was telling me about in the chat. Weird shit, way heavier than I expected.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 pm 

Heavy Load's "You've Got the Power" is my pre-interview song today. Grad assistantship interview. YOU'VE GOT THE POWER! YOU CAN MAKE YOUR DREAM COME TRUE!

Persuader's Evolution Purgatory was a staple of my high school experience, will always have a huge fondness for that album.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440 ... 624  Next