Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 am 

So it seems there is a TV series adaptation of The Expanse science fiction novels in the works. I greatly enjoyed reading the series, so this is pretty good news (fingers thrice crossed). Perhaps this will prove to be an exciting quality sci-fi series after Helix pretty much went down the drain and Defiance is still battling general mediocrity.

CGB_Spender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:20 pm 

X-Files: Best episodes are with the CSM.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:09 am 

Whoa...I've gotta say Vikings does ritual atmosphere really well. The final scene in the latest episode was totally entrancing. Just like the thing in about the same point in the previous season, I kinda forgot to breathe.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:10 am 

Hah, I didn't even know that Vikings S2 had been happening for months now. Only two more weeks until the whole season's over, so I'll just wait until then and watch it over a couple of days. How would you say S2 compares to S1? I really enjoyed S1, especially starting about halfway through when it really started to find its groove,
Spoiler: show
right around when Ragnar kills the Earl in single combat and Ragnar becomes Earl.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:02 pm 

Congrats on 6660, batman. I'd say the quality/consistency has held up well in S2, you won't be disappointed.
Gabriel Byrne was easily the worst thing about the show so when he died it was the most ideal possible plot point. Everything gets better from there.
Athelstan and his whole personal journey definitely brings a cool depth to the show that it wouldn't have otherwise.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:34 pm 

Good news, but don't ever congratulate me on posting way too much on an internet forum again :(

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:05 pm 

Fargo.. i think i dig it.. Thornton is just, whoa..

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:21 pm 

niix wrote:

I loved it. The writing was spectacular, and the episode was surprisingly hilarious as well. Like you said, Thornton's performance was killer. Can't wait for the next one.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:25 pm 

What's so bad about Gabriel Byrne? He didn't stand out as a glorious beacon of acting or characterisation or anything, but he wasn't terrible either.

I started with The Americans today. That pilot was pretty good, very cool setting/premise. I suspect all this will get very intense rather soon. And FUCKYEAH Fleetwood Mac \m/

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:49 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Congrats on 6660, batman. I'd say the quality/consistency has held up well in S2, you won't be disappointed.
Gabriel Byrne was easily the worst thing about the show so when he died it was the most ideal possible plot point. Everything gets better from there.
Athelstan and his whole personal journey definitely brings a cool depth to the show that it wouldn't have otherwise.

I feel pretty much the opposite. The first time I watched the show I didn't like Earl Haraldson's character at all. He seemed to me like the ordinary bad guy who's doing evil stuff just for the sake of it, but then when I watched the first season a second time he was actually a very good character and he had his reasons to act the way he did. Sure he had his bad moments, and sometimes I wondered why he could "easily" do this or that and sometimes not, but in the end he was really nice. I also agree on the "most ideal possible plot point" part, it couldn't have gone any other way.
Athelstan on the other hand annoys me, and the way he hops from one side to the other is just too much.

While on the topic of Vikings here's a video I made with Wardruna's music and excerpts from the first season.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:32 pm 

I didn't have any problem with the character, really, more just that Gabriel Byrne was a terrible casting choice for the role and he didn't put in a very good performance either. As for Athelstan, I think it's quite believable for a person in a strange and difficult position like his to feel very torn and conflicted about it all. It seems natural that he would struggle with an identity crisis and feel caught between two worlds, allegiances divided just as he feels divided within himself.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:40 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
niix wrote:

I loved it. The writing was spectacular, and the episode was surprisingly hilarious as well. Like you said, Thornton's performance was killer. Can't wait for the next one.

indeed! although, i do admire Peter Stormare's performance in the film.. very difficult to pick between the two of whether who has that, look in the eyes.. i think the woodchipper scene needs to come back. fantastic scenery/cinematography as well.. this is going to be good.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:05 pm 

Been watching Hannibal and finished episode 2 of season 2. Great show. It moves quite fast and there is so much psychoanalysing going on that it can be a little overwhelming to follow everything that is happening. I have to say that season 2, particularly after the last episode is shaping up to be better than the first season. Even though there are occasional things that don't fully add up it is pretty easy to overlook. Mads Mikkelsen is an awesome Hannibal. Glad to finally find another show to sink my teeth into as I haven't had much since Breaking Bad ended. I like watching shows that actually make me have to work things out and not spoon feed everything to me.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 pm 

Hannibal's been pretty neat, I watch it regularly, but it does have a tendency to get a bit over the top/implausible. I like that it's such an imaginative and stylish show in certain ways, but if they'd kept it a little more within the bounds of believability I think it'd be stronger for it. Plus we haven't seen hardly anything from Gillian Anderson this season :(. I liked her character and her dynamic with Hannibal.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:42 am 

Anyone watch any of Terry Jones' history documentaries? I hadn't realized he'd even done any non-fiction material until just recently when I watched his four-part series on the Crusades, which was damn interesting as well as entertaining. Now looking into this a bit further I see he's done a whole slew of history productions, and someone's compiled a directory of them all on Reddit, complete with YouTube links. :D Enjoy!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Documentaries/c ... ntary_set/

EDIT: Booaahhw, some of those links don't work :(. But many do, and it looks like the missing ones can be easily found elsewhere.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:02 am 

Orphan Black is back tonight! :hyper:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:32 am 

The Americans is quite good.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:33 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Orphan Black is back tonight! :hyper:

It's fuckin' ace! Thanks to yours and Ohrwurm's discussion in #metal, I decided to check it out. I'm on S01E03 at the moment and I hope to finish it by the weekend so that I can start S2 later tomorrow or on Monday.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:29 am 

Orphan Black S02E01:
Yay, Helena! I suspected she might not be dead. If Kira has some kind of regenerative ability, why not her aunt?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:46 am 

Orphan Black:

Finally up to speed with the show and I must say Tatiana is amazing :love: Her different roles are portrayed so well and totally identifiable with the character and not just the appearance.

Helena is indestructible. I'm really interested to know who Mrs S is and also that photograph from 1977.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:07 pm 

Had the flu pretty bad yesterday so I just stayed in and started watching True Detective. Man, total god-tier stuff. Might even be as good as The Wire. Great music, great pacing and just overall really interesting and well done. It's funny, Matthew McConaughey has been in so many shitty movies and I kind of wrote him off, but he's great when he's cast in the right stuff.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:58 pm 

Anybody watched the new HBO series Silicon Valley? Cool show so far (3 episodes out), well written stuff, I like Mike Judge so it was a no brainer. It's intelligent, situational humor and cool characters. It's about young programmers in Cali trying to make their way in this harsh world! Recommended.

I've also started the new season of Veep, still pretty funny!

I'll wait a bit until I start the new season of Orphan Black since watching 2-3 episodes in a row is so fun!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:16 pm 

Anybody watching Turn? New AMC show about a rebel spy operation in the British-American revolutionary war, on the American/colonial side.

First episode was pretty good, gonna keep watching. I'm getting behind though, need to see the new The Americans/Vikings/Cosmos.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:49 am 

Man, Hannibal is just getting sort of silly at this point. I mean it's been going this direction for a while, but christ. I can't imagine how this could stretch on a whole season longer, kind of perverse that the original pitch was supposedly for seven (!!!!) seasons.

Latest Vikings was pretty rad, though I'm not exactly buying the Floki/King Horik dynamic...seems a bit forced and devoid of any meaningful setup, and that Baldr conversation they shared was just pure ridiculousness from a writing perspective :lol: More really good battle work from this show.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:30 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Latest Vikings was pretty rad, though I'm not exactly buying the Floki/King Horik dynamic...seems a bit forced and devoid of any meaningful setup

Aye, not really sure where the hell that is supposed to come from, other than to create more drama. Other than that the show is well-crafted, not-too-mentally-demanding fun as always.

~Guest 335729
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:57 pm 

I need to catch up on Supernatural.

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:49 pm 

On season 4, episode 8 of The Wire. Loving it so far. Took me a while to get into the show (a couple of seasons or so to fully get into it) but now I'm excited to see how everything plays out.

~Guest 335729
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:55 pm 

I just finished Season 1 of Metalocalypse on Netflix.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:46 pm 

That's a pretty cool story. Care to elaborate?

About halfway through season nine of the X-Files. I've really gotta hand it to Robert Patrick - Doggett's a great character and Patrick does an excellent job of selling him as a simple but honest cop. Nothing too complex about his character, but he's extremely likable and his down-to-earth nature was both a breath of fresh air for the stagnating show but unfortunately under-utilized. It would've been cool to see him come into play earlier on (say, season 5 or 6) to have him interact more with Mulder and get involved in some of the show's better mytharc stuff. By season 8 that stuff is extremely tiresome.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:48 pm 

Anyone catch the new Jon Oliver show, Last Week Tonight? It's basically the Daily Show with swearing. Hopefully it'll get better but the premier wasn't anything special.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:56 pm 

Orphan Black:

Finally caught up with the weekend's episode. It definitely didn't disappoint.
So Mrs S is part of the "resistance" eh? I'm starting to have my doubts on Felix being an incognito-monitor but that's just the silly conspiracy theorist in me speaking. You really can't predict what's going to happen next. Tomas getting killed was another shocker, which only shows a greater evil brewing amongst these Proletheans. Until the next episode... :metal:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:44 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Anyone catch the new Jon Oliver show, Last Week Tonight? It's basically the Daily Show with swearing. Hopefully it'll get better but the premier wasn't anything special.

I thought some of the bits were pretty hilarious, but I don't usually watch this late night show stuff, so perhaps my standards aren't too high. :P

"Ooooh, you've massively overstepped your bounds, Mr. Tiggles, but I can't stay mad at you!" :lol:

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Anybody watched the new HBO series Silicon Valley? Cool show so far (3 episodes out), well written stuff, I like Mike Judge so it was a no brainer. It's intelligent, situational humor and cool characters. It's about young programmers in Cali trying to make their way in this harsh world! Recommended.

Yeah man, I'm loving it so far. It's a real shame the actor playing Peter Gregory died last year as he is one of my favourite characters.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:41 am 

Ooh, killer twist in the Vikings finale, very gratifying :) Dammit, why does the season have to be over already?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:14 am 

I finished the final season of X-Files earlier tonight. The final episode was much different from how I remembered it, it basically plays out the same as the end of Seinfeld, with lots of "greatest hits" type clips and cameos by notable cast members. That whole court scene thing was really pretty shit and did a good job of amusingly pointing out that not only was the main mytharc stuff from the first six seasons or so too confusing for its own good, but the whole stupid "super soldier" shit from the last couple of seasons really felt like it had little or nothing to do with the alien invasion plot. I loved how the prosecutor was basically just narrating these frustrations, too. "What the hell do super soldiers have to do with aliens??!?!" Good stuff.

Despite most of the episode (and that whole last season, for the most part) being pretty shit, the very end of the episode was pretty damn bittersweet/depressing/nihilistic (lotsa spoilers):
Basically Mulder reveals to Scully that the alien invasion is pending (December 22nd, 2012!!!) and that all of their efforts to stop it or at least reveal the conspiracy to set it in motion have been for naught. By the end of Season 9, Spender Jr. is a disfigured, disgraced freak, ol' CGB is dead, Krycek is dead, the goddamn Lone Gunmen are dead (seriously, most unnecessary killing off of characters ever, or what?), Mulder and Scully are on the lamb, Scully's miracle baby from a barren womb, fathered by Mulder after they finally cut through season after season of sexual tension, has been given up for adoption, most of Scully's family has been killed off and so has all of Mulder's, including the sister who was his prime motivator as an investigator into alien abductions in the first place...basically nothing was accomplished and many decent people's lives were cut short or ruined throughout the show and the whole thing ended without really a single shred of real closure with nary a silver lining in sight.

Gonna knock out the 2008 movie tomorrow, and thus will end my journey through the X-Files and all related materials.

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:06 pm 

Just finished The Wire. Really, really enjoyed it. Although I have to admit,
even though I knew Omar was going to get killed, I wasn't expecting it to happen the way it happened.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:33 pm 

Wedge_Antilles wrote:
even though I knew Omar was going to get killed, I wasn't expecting it to happen the way it happened.

I got that spoiled for me too. I was checking the actor's IMDB page and in the goddamn blurb next to his photo it said "Omar's death", I was all WTF and closed the page. :( (That blurb is gone now, thankfully.)
That was early in S3 so I kept dreading that moment, and I was in total disbelief when that kid shot him haha, so I guess it was still a surprise too. Still sucked about the spoiler. IMDB'ing actor pages is like walking on a minefield sometimes. Even if the blurb doesn't have spoilers, sometimes just showing the seasons or number of episodes the actor is in can be a spoiler, lol.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:04 pm 

Just watched the latest episode of Hannibal. I think I will continue watching in desperate hope that it gets back on track.
You can't just turn good human beings who have an empathy disorder that have been a cop and helped the FBI into being a serial killer through a little psychotherapy. Oh I killed someone out of self-defence with my bare hands and felt alive for the first time in my life. I'm going to start killing other humans now. And then precede to lie to the guy I have been helping since the beginning of the show. The last couple episodes have been pushing the risks a little bit but it has just gone full-blown ridiculous now.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:36 pm 

Wedge_Antilles wrote:

It's amazing when you go back and look at some of the events that lead up to Omar's death. There's a popular theory that Kenard was one of the kids idolizing Omar's stick-up crew after the botched stick-up in which a member of Omar's crew was killed. Then comes season 4, everyone's getting tangled up in the game and Kenard is already the most fit for the game despite being the youngest. Even after getting the piss beat out of him by Michael, Kenard still soldiers on and works the corner. Season 5, Omar walks up to Michael's corner with a bum leg and a crutch and tells Michael to send Marlo a message that Omar's coming for him. Everyone working the corner is visibly scared except for Kenard. Kenard who doesn't see the legend who has been terrorizing drug dealers for what seems to be decades, but instead sees some dude with a vulnerability. Then just moments before Omar's death, he's the only kid who doesn't run away as Omar walks by.

I think Kenard is a sociopath and it's scary to think about what he'll be like by the time he comes out of juvenile hall. Could easily be the next big drug kingpin.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:38 pm 

Yeah! It's almost as if she's obviously not dead and Will is baiting Hannibal like he said he would. (Are you capable of critical thinking/interpreting evidence?)

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 182  Next