Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:06 am 

Well it still sounds quite similar to Orange Goblin to me and I didn't find any resemblance with Chris Cornell's vocals. The only dude sounds like Cornell imho is Kenny Hickey (Type O/Seventh Void). Sigiriya's new frontman reminds me more of a typical southern rock vocalist somewhat comparable to Pepper Keenan and Zakk Wylde. And speaking of Conan their new album is flat-out boring. Really, massive guitar tone can't always save the day. I love huge guitar tone but it should be utilized with good riffing and unpredictable hooks.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:23 pm 

shouvince wrote:
That's like a heavy Soundgarden, primarily because of the vocals. I was honestly expecting something like a mix of Conan and Orange Goblin, but I can dig this.

Here's the first track from Stoned Jesus's upcoming album:

Damn, cool track, pretty different from Seven Thunders Roar, way groovier and faster, it feels grungey too. I hope there's still long psychedelic tracks though...

Two new cool bands:
-Venus Victrix, american female fronted doom, I'll be reviewing the album soon as they provided me with a download: http://venusvictrix.bandcamp.com/

-Monolord, Swedish doom/stoner! For fans of EW, Sleep etc...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

doomster999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:51 am 

shouvince wrote:
Here's the first track from Stoned Jesus's upcoming album:

Never gave them a proper chance. I know they're relatively well-known amongst the stoner metal crowd. But based on this new song they sound quite similar to Big Business and Torche which isn't a bad thing.

Metantoine wrote:
Monolord, Swedish doom/stoner! For fans of EW, Sleep etc...

Yea, pretty decent album. better alternative to Conan. Still the riffs are quite mediocre.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:43 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Venus Victrix and Monolord

VV left me the impression of being a snore, but I will have to give them a proper listen soon. Both vocals and music reminded me of Ruby the Hatchet. Ruby might have a juicer sound, though.

Edit: The album starts out okay enough but quickly fizzles into boredom and poor songwriting. At least you didn't scream "AOTY!" again, Tony. :-P

Monolord scratches an itch I've had for Dopethone-esque doom for a while. The EW album, not the band! Good riffs all around with the title track being particularly immense. I was listening to the album on the train the day before yesterday and I just couldn't stop nodding my head and tapping my foot. Odd looks be damned!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:09 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Venus Victrix and Monolord

VV left me the impression of being a snore, but I will have to give them a proper listen soon. Both vocals and music reminded me of Ruby the Hatchet. Ruby might have a juicer sound, though.

Edit: The album starts out okay enough but quickly fizzles into boredom and poor songwriting. At least you didn't scream "AOTY!" again, Tony. :-P

Monolord scratches an itch I've had for Dopethone-esque doom for a while. The EW album, not the band! Good riffs all around with the title track being particularly immense. I was listening to the album on the train the day before yesterday and I just couldn't stop nodding my head and tapping my foot. Odd looks be damned!

Lol no, Venus Victrix aren't pretty good, it's indeed a style I like but I was pretty bored with most of the album.

RIP McCash :(

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:35 pm 

Hi all! Need to pick your brains again to find some treasures!

I'm on a Dantesco kick lately and while I like their later albums, I've come to realize I really enjoy the older stuff that's sang in Spanish. It just makes for a different experience for me.

I love doom (the more epic, the better) and expressive singers. I'd appreciate suggestions of doom bands singing in their native language. Be it Spanish, Swedish, French, Russian, whatever.

Preferably epic doom like I said, but heavy/doom recs like Cauchemar are welcome as well.

Would rather avoid stoner/sludge and fuzzy vocals.

Thanks in advance!

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:39 pm 

Riffs wrote:

I'm on a Dantesco kick lately and while I like their later albums, I've come to realize I really enjoy the older stuff that's sang in Spanish. It just makes for a different experience for me.

I love doom (the more epic, the better) and expressive singers. I'd appreciate suggestions of doom bands singing in their native language. Be it Spanish, Swedish, French, Russian, whatever.

Preferably epic doom like I said, but heavy/doom recs like Cauchemar are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance!

Lamented Souls have a couple songs in Norwegian. Unfortunately, I could only find two.

There's Dutch band Akelei, but they may be a bit too melodic for what you're looking for.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:39 am 

Riffs wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Northwinds have got some stuff in French. Metantoine can potentially mention some other French stuff, as he did a whole little review series on that stuff.

Focus Indulgens have some Italian stuff (the entire second album, it seems) and I know that there must be other Italian stuff out there...

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:56 am 

Here's some shit right off the top of my head. There's more, I know there is, but I have to go and do, you know, uh, stuff...

Cult of the Headless Witch - "En ny tid" (Swedish)
Mirror of Deception - "Weiss" on the album Mirrorsoil (German)
Mirror of Deception - "Der Student von Ulm" on the split with Garden of Worm (Swabian German)
The Black from Italy. Most of the stuff is in Latin, some of it is in Italian.
L'Impero Delle Ombre (Italian)
I Compagni di Baal (Italian)
Hukkunud Hinged (Estonian)
Taak (Estonian)
Condenados (Most of it is in Spanish)
Reino Ermitaño (Spanish)
Shelder (some songs in French, I think)
Говнилиум (it's probably Russian)

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:26 am 

Unhinged: Yeah, Lamented Souls was right on the money! Really liking the mood of this one. Akelei, very different from what I am looking for but not bad at all.

SA: How could I forget about Focus Indulgens! Hic Sunt Leones is my favorite work from them! I am slightly familiar with Northwinds but had not heard French songs. Will investigate further.

Doomsday: That's a huge list of bands, most I didn't know the existence of! Cult of the Headless Witch rules! This is another case of foreign language adding something extra for me. Those dramatic vocals draw me into the unfamiliar. The Black is interesting! I've checked two songs randomly and instrumentally, there's good ideas. I'm still getting used to the vocals and overall execution. The other Italian bands were of the heavy/prog variety of doom but interesting. Condenados is more of what I am looking for. Classic epic doom! I'm gonna have to track more of the bands you listed.

My thanks to all three of you! The well of interesting doom metal bands never dries out it seems!

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:49 am 

A couple of more:

Propoved (Serbian)
Zbor (Croatian)

Can't claim either of them being very good but if you wanna try some flava.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:07 pm 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
Riffs wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Northwinds have got some stuff in French. Metantoine can potentially mention some other French stuff, as he did a whole little review series on that stuff.

Thanks for mentioning my series haha but most of the bands are sadly singing in English, Northwinds is definitely a good rec, here's one of their songs in French. Barabbas is pretty cool doom/stoner in French but I doubt you'll like them but check them out anyway. Doomsday pretty much gave you everything already so not much to add, you already do Ningen-Isu as well!

Krodom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:29 am 

Pretty stoked the new Doom:vs album comes out next month

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:55 am 

^ Yep. Same here. Both the albums are great and the new track sounds fantastic as well. BTW, next time kindly refer similar bands in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=92624&start=480

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:21 pm 

Cool Bathory-esque epic doom/heavy. Their first single and it's promising.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:35 am 

I hear some potential, I do, but that first song is borderline awful. The riffs, the vocals, the production. I'll give the melodies a pass. Getting a very slight Scald-vibe from it all. Let's see how they improve. That they come from Haparanda is pretty neat, though. Way up there in the north, close to the Finnish border. In fact, the hometown of Fall of the Idols is just across the (dark) river.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:12 pm 

Just heard the new Pilgrim and it's pretty damn medicore, it's an amalgam of decent to mediocre riffs without any direction whatsoever. Trad doom for the Metal Blade crowd, I guess.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:33 pm 

I hear ya. Listening to that Pilgrim album again now. Mood's more receptive this time, so when "Master's Chamber" started I thought "hey, maybe this isn't as bad as I remembered!" 10 minutes later... Yes, yes it is. That song is the epitome of directionless doom. 10 minutes of going nowhere. At least the title track is better. It reminds me of the nihilistic monotony of The Puritan. More so than Reverend Bizarre, actually. It can be accused of going nowhere too, but at least the atmosphere and riffs keep me somewhat interested. The rest of the album is just bad and pointless.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:33 am 

Hey I'm trying to find a specific song.
It was a song which started with a sample from a movie by Ze Do Caixao
Pretty sure it was a German Stoner band. Anyone knows what I'm talking about?

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:56 pm 

Rec me some doom on the veins of Black Sabbath (the song) main riff. I really dig the heavy vibratos, and it's quite slower than most traditional doom that followed in the 80s. Thanks!
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:12 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
Rec me some doom on the veins of Black Sabbath (the song) main riff. I really dig the heavy vibratos, and it's quite slower than most traditional doom that followed in the 80s. Thanks!

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:31 pm 

Thanks for the rec! Great song. I do enjoy RB a lot (mostly the comp Death Is Glory... Now), but I'm not much knowledgeable about them. Will explore their discography asap. Thanks!
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:14 am 

Hi,
Can someone tell me more albuns like this http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sc ... ower/30552
Thanks

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:05 am 

MasterOfSin wrote:
Hi,
Can someone tell me more albuns like this http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sc ... ower/30552
Thanks

Obviously: Bathory - Twilight of the Gods

There's a few bands that combine Bathory with epic doom like that.

Atlantean Kodex
Ereb Altor - By Honour; The End

Then some more straight epic doom can hit the mark

Solitude Aeturnus

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:28 am 

I'll add Oath of Woe to LordTool's list.

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:29 am 

Lurking around and found this thread. Epic archive of proto metal, acid metal, acid rock, and obscure heavy rock. Why was it locked?
http://static.metal-archives.com/board/ ... hp?t=94686

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:38 pm 

Looking for sludge metal in the vein of Honey Bucket from Melvins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAl3A2pYFhM&feature=kp

Something that's relatively uptempo but not at thrash speeds, good riffs, thunderously heavy, that sort of shit

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 am 

Hey guys, I just found out this really good modern-sounding Sludge Metal band, Kowloon Walled City. Think of it as a more "melodic" and accesible Eyehategod. Might help people who are trying to get into Sludge but not ready for the extremities in the rest of the genre.

Check out their bandcamp. They have free downloads but you can donate them a small amount if you want to:

http://kowloonwalledcity.bandcamp.com/

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:00 am 

For "uptempo" sludge you simply *must* check out Black Cobra. Fantastic band all around, and their live show is even better.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:55 am 

It was confounding to hear the horn section bleat away on the new Mansion 7" but after a few spins everything started to fall into place. Congregation Hymns is just as recommendable as the first EP! It's a little different, certainly, but I say that's a good thing. I'm sure it will remind someone of something else but the sound on this 7" is not something I usually hear so for me it's refreshing. Especially if Mansion is lumped into the occult or retro rock categories.

Another new Mansion track recorded live at Roadburn:
Spoiler: show

Doomy!

It also seems I, Voidhanger Records has signed John Gallow for a debut album. News should be interesting to fans of Paul Chain worship. Get hype!

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:16 pm 

Been really digging Noothgrush and Grief a lot recently. Looking for more dismal, raw, and noisy sludge that doesn't get too bluesy. The kind of stuff that would fit on a 90's split with a hardcore band or in a squat full of junkies.

This song's what's gotten me hooked. Vocals like this preferred! Oh, and I know Eyehategod!

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:13 pm 

Dystopia and His Hero Is Gone, though the latter especially may be a bit too "punk" for some tastes. Ditto for Full of Hell, but if you're a somewhat open-minded metal fan you'll probably love all these bands. They bring the pain and they bring the noise, for sure.

Unrelated genre-wise, but unless you hate fast, thrashy crust punk for some reason, you should also check out a couple Grief members' previous band Disrupt. Speedy and angry as hell with D-beats and blast-beats aplenty.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Been really digging Noothgrush and Grief a lot recently. Looking for more dismal, raw, and noisy sludge that doesn't get too bluesy. The kind of stuff that would fit on a 90's split with a hardcore band or in a squat full of junkies.

This song's what's gotten me hooked. Vocals like this preferred! Oh, and I know Eyehategod!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyF1LketUr8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ulvJYdml8

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:30 am 

*facepalm*

I completely blanked on Brainoil, even though they're from my area (East Bay)! Hearing that right now is good for my soul.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:09 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Dystopia and His Hero Is Gone, Full of Hell,...Disrupt...

Like all of these bands, but with the exception of Dystopia they're not Sludge. Thanks for the recs though.

Brainoil's okay, the production's a bit too modern, but will spend more time with them.

Leechmilk's way more what I'm after. Reminds me of Goatsblood, which is another band I should have mentioned.

Thanks!

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:38 pm 

Maybe check out Meth Drinker from New Zealand. They have some of that really painful Goatsblood/Grief sound to them.

Also the English band Iron Witch, though they're closer to Eyehategod worship than anything.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:47 pm 

Cool song, pretty different from the stuff on their previous album Sten, no 20 minutes track this time.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:42 pm 

Aye, people who thought Sten was too excessive and overwhelming will enjoy Universums härd a lot more. A vivid and crushing take on space rock!

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:43 am 

Deep from Finland. Has a Cardinals Folly/Caskets Open sort of vibe sometimes. It's certainly a little unpolished but as a first release it demonstrates potential. And the songs are growers, with "Plague" and "All Shall Die" being my personal favorites. "Cool", as a fellow mod would say.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:47 pm 

Any album similar to Sabbath's mellower songs? (Solitude, Planet Caravan, etc)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 133  Next