Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:07 am 

Hi,
I know we have a sports thread but I would like to know if anyone else is interested in archery.
I recently got some lessons (2 weeks) and, after that, am starting to enjoy it a lot!
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com.es/2013/12/tiro-con-arco.html

Spoiler: show
Quote:

Anyone else?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:32 am 

I did archery for about 4 years in the 1980's, until the semi-asshole coach decided to quit without an explanation. I don't care much for the FITA system, basic target shooting is pretty boring in the long run. In the Nordics, a pretty popular alternative is the so-called "game shooting", which involves animal picture targets at ranges of 5 to 60 meters in the forest, with 20 or 30 targets and three arrows each. The catch is that the actual distance to the target must be estimated by the shooter himself, and there can be any sort of gradient in each case. Now, hitting a pheasant-sized thing at 15 meters is not much of a feat on a flat range, but add to that the tricky nature of height difference, and the fact that you must combine that with the range estimate, and it suddenly turns into a more interesting exercise.

Great fun, but quite costly due to lost and ruined arrows. Also, the more powerful bow you can handle, the better you shoot, because the drop of the arrow during flight is dependent on the arrow speed.

Now that I think about it, I could well return to it one day.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 am 

I poked around at archery fir a couple years too. Was good fun, and especially the use of lifelike targets in a forest setting could draw me back in.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Strutta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49 am 

Target archery isn't all that awesome. Bow hunting, on the other hand, kicks ass. Shit, my cousin and I bow fish for flounder sometimes, instead of gigging the delicious little bastards.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:51 am 

My sole attempt at archery consisted of earning the merit badge during a weeklong Boy Scout camp when I was 14. During practice I managed to hold the bow/arrow so improperly that when I fired it the colored plastic "tail" on the end of the arrow sliced my finger and hand guard open, got blood all over the gear and sent said handguard flying down the range, while my arrow plopped 6 inches in front of me.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:34 pm 

Not really archery, but I used to shoot crossbows. Or armbrust, as we'd refer them by their german name(they look like this http://www.allgemeiner-schuetzenverein- ... mbrust.htm). Unlike the crossbows you normally see out there, those weighed around 15kg and required a maddening amount of precision work. It has an almost ritual-like process of bending the string to fit the arrow, finding a comfortable position, aligning the sights, balancing the weight, so on. It's not as "radical" as common bow shooting as you are limited to mostly fixed targets on a fixed distance, but it's very pleasing, for a lack of a better word, and you feel like a fucking champ whenever you do a great shot.

It has been some two years since I touched one though. I can't go to the shooting club with the frequency I used to too, and shooting by myself is impossible as the gear is terribly expensive, since everything is imported from Switzerland.

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:38 pm 

I've shot a bow a few times, and enjoyed it, but I haven't shot in a while. Same thing with guns.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:23 pm 

I love archery! I recently moved to an apartment complex that frowns on weapons though, so my practice is limited. I want to get a new bow and some more arrows, cause I tend to prefer the reusability and silence of archery practice over firearm practice. What draw weight are you using?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:13 am 

Napero wrote:
I did archery for about 4 years in the 1980's, until the semi-asshole coach decided to quit without an explanation. I don't care much for the FITA system, basic target shooting is pretty boring in the long run. In the Nordics, a pretty popular alternative is the so-called "game shooting", which involves animal picture targets at ranges of 5 to 60 meters in the forest, with 20 or 30 targets and three arrows each. The catch is that the actual distance to the target must be estimated by the shooter himself, and there can be any sort of gradient in each case. Now, hitting a pheasant-sized thing at 15 meters is not much of a feat on a flat range, but add to that the tricky nature of height difference, and the fact that you must combine that with the range estimate, and it suddenly turns into a more interesting exercise.
Great fun, but quite costly due to lost and ruined arrows. Also, the more powerful bow you can handle, the better you shoot, because the drop of the arrow during flight is dependent on the arrow speed.
Now that I think about it, I could well return to it one day.

severzhavnost wrote:
I poked around at archery fir a couple years too. Was good fun, and especially the use of lifelike targets in a forest setting could draw me back in.

Uhm... you mean field or 3d archery:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_competitive_archery
We can't do this at my local club. Just fixed targets in the gallery or in the field:

Strutta wrote:
Target archery isn't all that awesome. Bow hunting, on the other hand, kicks ass. Shit, my cousin and I bow fish for flounder sometimes, instead of gigging the delicious little bastards.

Fishes? But isn't it difficult because of the refraction?

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
My sole attempt at archery consisted of earning the merit badge during a weeklong Boy Scout camp when I was 14. During practice I managed to hold the bow/arrow so improperly that when I fired it the colored plastic "tail" on the end of the arrow sliced my finger and hand guard open, got blood all over the gear and sent said handguard flying down the range, while my arrow plopped 6 inches in front of me.

LOL!

Marag wrote:
Not really archery, but I used to shoot crossbows. Or armbrust, as we'd refer them by their german name(they look like this http://www.allgemeiner-schuetzenverein- ... mbrust.htm). Unlike the crossbows you normally see out there, those weighed around 15kg and required a maddening amount of precision work. It has an almost ritual-like process of bending the string to fit the arrow, finding a comfortable position, aligning the sights, balancing the weight, so on. It's not as "radical" as common bow shooting as you are limited to mostly fixed targets on a fixed distance, but it's very pleasing, for a lack of a better word, and you feel like a fucking champ whenever you do a great shot.
It has been some two years since I touched one though. I can't go to the shooting club with the frequency I used to too, and shooting by myself is impossible as the gear is terribly expensive, since everything is imported from Switzerland.

Cool!

Hatman wrote:
I've shot a bow a few times, and enjoyed it, but I haven't shot in a while. Same thing with guns.

Arkhane wrote:
I love archery! I recently moved to an apartment complex that frowns on weapons though, so my practice is limited. I want to get a new bow and some more arrows, cause I tend to prefer the reusability and silence of archery practice over firearm practice. What draw weight are you using?

I like archery but am not sure about firearms.
We just bought some new arrows for me:

P.S: I just started and am using an initiation bow which is just 20-22 lbs.

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strutta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:22 am 

Refraction is a significant issue with standard bowfishing (done in the day, usually for species that wallow and sun lazily on the surface, like gar or carp), but less so for what we're doing. We do this at night, in very shallow water, with lighting rigs that are mounted under the surface of the water (limiting the refraction issues).

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:17 pm 

I took archery for a couple of years, and still have my recurve bow and some arrows.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:23 pm 

I have this mental block thing where I can physically anchor any bow I can pull to my anchor point (chin), but when I have an arrow nocked I can only draw half of the way to my chin, if even that. I don't know what's causing this anxiety, but I hate it.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:41 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
I have this mental block thing where I can physically anchor any bow I can pull to my anchor point (chin), but when I have an arrow nocked I can only draw half of the way to my chin, if even that. I don't know what's causing this anxiety, but I hate it.

http://www.myarcheryclasses.com/wp-cont ... h_hand.jpg

That happens if the arrows are too short. If you have kids and they have archery as a hobby, watch their growth.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:37 pm 

I bet that shit hurts! No, my arrows aren't too short cause I can full draw with a nocked arrow when I know I'm not actually gonna shoot it, and still have an inch of the shaft in front of the bow. I should have said I can't fully draw when I'm shooting, but I can when I'm not shooting. It's a mental anxiety thing.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:32 am 

Strutta wrote:
Refraction is a significant issue with standard bowfishing (done in the day, usually for species that wallow and sun lazily on the surface, like gar or carp), but less so for what we're doing. We do this at night, in very shallow water, with lighting rigs that are mounted under the surface of the water (limiting the refraction issues).

Uhm... I see. Interesting.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
I took archery for a couple of years, and still have my recurve bow and some arrows.

I was intending to buy my own bow before starting lessons but I tried to shoot to 30 ms with my initiation bow and, since I have no problem with this distance, I don't see the point now.

Arkhane wrote:

That sounds weird.

Napero wrote:
http://www.myarcheryclasses.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/arrow_through_hand.jpg
That happens if the arrows are too short. If you have kids and they have archery as a hobby, watch their growth.

That's my problem too cause we don't have much long arrows at my club so I had to use some shorter ones to the point where it was becoming quite dangerorus.
That's why I had to buy my own arrows. I had them yesterday:

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:59 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I was intending to buy my own bow before starting lessons but I tried to shoot to 30 ms with my initiation bow and, since I have no problem with this distance, I don't see the point now.

Some videos this weekend in the shooting field:

And they told me I'm doing it fine shooting with the initiation bow to 30 ms and could try to reach 40 or 50 ms!

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:07 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Some videos this weekend in the shooting field:
And they told me I'm doing it fine shooting with the initiation bow to 30 ms and could try to reach 40 or 50 ms!

Today I have been shooting to 40 ms with no problem and some arrows (I shot 4 outside) have reached the 50 ms mark with a 20-22 lbs bow. Nice!

Reply to topic