Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:50 pm 

I only saw TGOS once. In Stockholm in 2005 with Reverend Bizarre, Isole, and Thee Plague of Gentlemen, with the latter giving the best performance of the night. This was before the whole pedophilia scandal tarnished everything. TGOS were decent but I wish I had seen them live again with a better setlist a few years later. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:28 pm 

I've been really into female-fronted doom - Windhand, Witch Mountain, Archon, Wounded Kings, SubRosa - as of late, and I was wondering if there were any other really essential bands I should add to that list. Bonus points for death/funeral doom with female growlers.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:56 am 

Can I interest you in some L'Ira del Baccano? Instrumental psych doom with prog and space rock influences. Their Facebook bio describes them as a combination of Black Sabbath, Hawkwind, Rush, and Grateful Dead, and it's a fitting description. I'm also getting an Electric Mud Generator vibe from them. (Go read Metantoine's glowing review of their excellent second album, btw.) L'Ira del Baccano's 2007 live album is (still) available for free download, just visit the band's homepage. For streaming/listening purposes there's always Bandcamp. For a live album it sounds better than a lot of studio recordings. Ordered the split CD they did with Watermelon Time and a T-shirt today, and later found out that a studio album is forthcoming. Can't wait! Gonna have to buy that too. I highly recommend this Italian band. They have long instrumental songs, but they are engaging. I'm a big fan of Italian doom metal but the country's psych/stoner/whatever scene hasn't impressed me much. L'Ira del Baccano is an exception.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
I've been really into female-fronted doom - Windhand, Witch Mountain, Archon, Wounded Kings, SubRosa - as of late, and I was wondering if there were any other really essential bands I should add to that list. Bonus points for death/funeral doom with female growlers.

Gosh, look at the time! It's time for me to plug The Slow Death and Murkrat again! Fantastic instrumentations, haunting atmosphere, and plenty of melodic hooks are par for the course in both groups; of course, since they both share the same songwriter/vocalist, that's to be expected. The former is more death/doom while the latter is straight-up doom, though.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:34 pm 

Crone > The Slow Death and Murkrat

Just saying.

Yet the guy preferred death/funeral doom. Oh well, nobody's perfect!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:38 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:

You need to check Mansion, Mount Salem and Hands of Orlac for psych female fronted doom, Castle and Cauchemar for heavy/doom.

Oh and check out Demon Lung for something heavier but still female fronted, not unlike TWK or Windhand.

Thanks for the good words, Doomsday :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:41 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Crone > The Slow Death and Murkrat

Eh? Who's that?

*looks it up*

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT GOTTA FIND IT NOW

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 pm 

If you've been following that thread, you probably already know that I have a massive hard on for Mansion, heavy/doom/occult rock from Finland. They'll release a new 7" will be released soon and it's awesome.

It can be heard here: https://archive.org/details/SoggyBog164 ... athAndMore
Pre-order: http://weshalllive.bandcamp.com/

Oh and I'm seeing Dopethrone this weekend, this is gonna be smokey as hell!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:33 am 

Cool, thanks for sharing. I pre-ordered a copy. Always willing to open my wallet for Mansion.

Oh, and tell me all about Zaum's performance after the gig. They support Dopethrone, if anyone's wondering. Probably going to see Zaum later this year but I want to know if they "bring it".

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:15 pm 

Full support for Mansion! Have spent a good amount of time with We Shall Live and the band has quickly become a favorite. Glad that they are keeping quality at maximum and releasing some more fine songs, cannot wait to get my hands on the vinyl.

As for recent occult style doom bands besides Mansion, Cauchemar seems pretty promising really looking forward to more, the album was great, just left me itching for some more.

What interests me more now is the Paul Chain worship bands that have been springing up. The releases out of Doom Cult Records has been pretty solid, Violet Magick probably being my favorite, it has a great early Vitus vibe mixed in with the PC worship, love the mongaloid vocals in some songs.
Violet Magick - Kiss of Death

Anyone aware of more PC worship other than the bands at Doom Cult?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:29 am 

Huldrelok wrote:

You say bands. What else on Doom Cult, aside from Violet Magick, is Paul Chain worship? Not saying you're wrong or made a mistake, I just don't know. Anyway, you might like Deliria (Italy), Blizaro (The guitarist also has a solo project called John Gallow, which is Paul Chain worship through and through. He just seems to take his sweet time to release anything. A lot of songs on YouTube but no CD or vinyl yet that I'm aware of.), and L'Ira del Baccano, mentioned by me in a previous post (if you like Paul Chain - The Improvisor, that is).

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:34 pm 

Checked out that Mansion release you told me to, Tony. Don't like them quite as much as you, but still some very solid stuff (especially for mumdoom).

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:50 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Huldrelok wrote:

You say bands. What else on Doom Cult, aside from Violet Magick, is Paul Chain worship? Not saying you're wrong or made a mistake, I just don't know. Anyway, you might like Deliria (Italy), Blizaro (The guitarist also has a solo project called John Gallow, which is Paul Chain worship through and through. He just seems to take his sweet time to release anything. A lot of songs on YouTube but no CD or vinyl yet that I'm aware of.), and L'Ira del Baccano, mentioned by me in a previous post (if you like Paul Chain - The Improvisor, that is).

Well, Doom Cult is fairly fresh, I wasn't even aware of anything other than Violet Magick/Violet Temple and Tony Tears, and both the violet bands I would consider PC worship. I did check out L'Ira del Baccano the other day, thanks to your post, some pretty great psychadelic jamming, I can always dig stuff like this and a huge Hawkwind fan. I've never heard of Blizaro so I will check that out, thanks!

hailfatherdagon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:20 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:

monarch(drone/sludge, bloody panda(drone/sludge),dark castle(sludge), gallhammer(black/crust/sludge), acid king(stoner/doom), undersmile(sludge/doom)

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:14 am 

No love for The Wizar'd here?

Infernal Wizardry and Pathways Into Darkness are plain genius but I still haven't heard Ancient Tome of Arcane Knowledge, the one from last year. Anyone hear it yet? How does it fare?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:30 am 

It's their best album yet. They take everything they started doing right on Pathways (incredible vocals, short catchy songs) and improved from there. Better songs, more (and better) riffs, still super catchy. From Pathways on they don't even sound like the same band.

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:04 pm 

What would y'all recommend for something in between stoner metal and death metal? Anything with the typical stoner metal guitar tone and overall sound, but a bit more aggressive, and with death growls?

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:24 pm 

puggy wrote:
What would y'all recommend for something in between stoner metal and death metal? Anything with the typical stoner metal guitar tone and overall sound, but a bit more aggressive, and with death growls?

Maybe Innards? Early 90s UK death metal with a strong Sabbath groove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdnSbZsJv-o

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 pm 

is there any stoner sludge/doom with lyrics still about weed but a bit more serious, like minus the demons goblins and acid lords ?? maybe a bit more positive

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:05 pm 

I just started discovering stoner metal and I like space rock (something like Hawkwind), so are there any bands who mix these two?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:21 pm 

Paka01 wrote:
I just started discovering stoner metal and I like space rock (something like Hawkwind), so are there any bands who mix these two?

Mindust

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:30 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Paka01 wrote:

Mindust

Well, this is a pleasent surprise :) Really nice music.

smokinchains
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:45 pm 

Check out Farflung, they have a great spacey/stoner atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlzWYroH-So

I assume you know early Monster Magnet, like Spine of God as well.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:48 pm 

my questions always go unanswered, suppose there to difficult or something

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:22 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
is there any stoner sludge/doom with lyrics still about weed but a bit more serious, like minus the demons goblins and acid lords ?? maybe a bit more positive

I didn't quite get what do you mean by 'positive'? But if you want heavy depressive stuff in the vein of Alice in Chains/Acid Bath/Crowbar then there's Hangman's Chair.

And Oruga from France as well.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:57 pm 

puggy wrote:

Don't know if you have that kind of sound in mind, but I thought of Thrown when reading your request and their album "the suicidal kings occult. It's an original mixed bag anyway.

edit: yeah, I have to edit this post to draw your attention on some well-know Sludge bands that have that aggressive edge you're searching. Grief, Sin of Angels, Accept Death use all growls for instance.

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dayyanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:00 pm 

Anyone know of some catchier death/funeral doom?

Basically super slow death metal (growls and everything).

Examples:

First minute or two especially:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I84762UVKSg

First four minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Gsr1BK0Jo

Hooded Menace and November's Doom are worth mentioning, but both are a little too fast and just not 'monstrous' enough.

EDIT: Feel free to ignore... reposted in the Death/Doom thread, which I didn't know existed

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:43 pm 

What's like the best black sabbath ripoff album you guys know?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 am 

Monolord's debut album "Empress Rising" was released today and it didn't disappoint my high expectations. Sure, the title track, which I heard first, still feels like the best song but the rest of the material is strong too. Pretty straightforward heavier-than-thou stoner/doom that goes from groovy to sinister and back again. One part will remind you of Sleep, another part will remind you of Electric Wizard, etc. but sometimes that's exactly what a guy wants to hear. More of the same done really, really well! Ordered the CD today. Only two songs are up on Bandcamp at the moment but the rest will surely follow soon. (And yes, the album leaked almost immediately.)

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:53 am 

Shit, how could I forget Acid King? I just saw them live in S.F. like 6 months ago! They are indeed awesome.

Thanks for the other recommendations, guys. Demon Lung, Cauchemar, etc. sound right up my alley.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:23 am 

Aydross wrote:

Orchid - Mouths of Madness takes the cake on this one. But if you want to hear high quality Sabbath worship that's not full of downright plagiarism...

Pentagram - Day of Reckoning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj6uqe2HlEE
Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-FjO3E8K-E

Edit: Oh you said "best," not "most"... Orchid I don't think is the best, but they sure rip Sabbath off. I stand by Pentagram and Sleep though.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:26 pm 

Aydross wrote:

Not really a rip off, but listen to Count Raven.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:43 pm 

Best pure Sabbath rip-off? Probably Sleep. Trouble and Saint Vitus are arguably even better, but they have more influences than just 'Master of Reality.'

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:13 pm 

Orchid is just too derivative for my tastes. Not terrible by any means - 'Mouths of Madness' was a decent record, albeit without much replay value. Most of their riffs seem to be stolen from relatively obscure Sabbath/Purple album tracks, like one tune that blatantly rips off "Flight of the Rat."

P.S. I do love that mid-80's Pentagram/Vitus guitar tone. Low and deep without being too bassy, and blisteringly raw.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Best pure Sabbath rip-off? Probably Sleep. Trouble and Saint Vitus are arguably even better, but they have more influences than just 'Master of Reality.'

None of those are a rip-off band...Count Raven is even more so and even then I wouldn't call them a rip-off.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:39 pm 

I came here to suggest Count Raven myself. They developed the most sinister side of BS. Great band.
Another one for the groovier side would be the young band Monolith which have just released their album 'Dystopia'.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:04 am 

Anybody excited for new Sigiriya?

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:10 am 

^ Good find. It sure as hell looks interesting. Time to dig up some songs on 'tube.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:25 am 

^ Here's a sample. Sick as hell. Rocked my socks off!

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:21 am 

That's like a heavy Soundgarden, primarily because of the vocals. I was honestly expecting something like a mix of Conan and Orange Goblin, but I can dig this.

Here's the first track from Stoned Jesus's upcoming album:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 133  Next