Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:36 pm 

Got my four-day all-access pass. So stoked. Probably going to pick up the Wednesday pre-fest tickets if the lineup's even half-decent. This is probably going to be my last MDF for the next few years at least, so we're planning on going all out. Drive down, maybe check out DC and make a week of it.

There's good shit every day, every venue, with a ton of variety. Obviously there are going to be fuckups like every year, but I do think Evan and Ryan took last year's bitching seriously and will work towards fixing most of the major problems. My main concern is security, as the gestapo running the gate last year was my biggest piss-off. Even with the Venom/Bolt Thrower cutoffs, Vinterland technical and scheduling problems and Carpathian Forest's last minute ditch, I had a blast last year. Maybe I'm just really easy-going.

As for those last few bands to be announced... I'd lose my shit if it were either a Timeghoul reunion (nigh-impossible, not happening) or if they finally got Sodom over. Some people thought maybe they'd throw enough money at Fenriz and get a Darkthrone set. I think that's about as likely as me winning the lottery, but it's a cool thought to entertain. It'd also make sense on why they wouldn't announce it before tickets went up... imagine how fast those suckers would sell out if that were the case. There's also the possibility that they're still talking about getting Carpathian Forest over after last year. Finally, King Diamond and Mercyful Fate have been requested and hinted at for so many years, but I think Ryan and Evan said they tried to make that happen once and it wasn't working. Anyways, just wishful thinking... not holding my breath for any of these, though Sodom would still be in the realms of possibility. Honestly, though, they could announce Metallica and Hellyeah and it wouldn't change how awesome this year's lineup is.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:56 am 

The biggest bait and switch they could possibly pull at this point would be if they snagged Emperor and kept it a secret, but that's about 101% not gonna happen, if only because of Faust's criminal record most likely barring him from entering the United States.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:22 am 

They said something about a band from a Country that has never been represented before in MDF history which could be quite a few countries. I think the line up is stacked regardless of any new additions. The only issue is having bands drop out which would suck.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 pm 

Fuck! 3-day passes to the Ram's Head venue already sold out, too. Hopefully it's either not too expensive to buy Ram's Head tickets to individual days, or they'll pack all of the best Ram's Head bands into two days. I'm guessing the 3-day Soundstage passes are close to gone as well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:21 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
They said something about a band from a Country that has never been represented before in MDF history which could be quite a few countries.

Yeah, but the amount of countries with big pull A/B-list metal bands that haven't been represented must be a much smaller pool to pick from. I might be wrong, but I don't think any Ukrainian bands have played MDF. That opens up Nokturnal Mortum (don't know if their apparent NS leanings would gel with the heavy crusty presence), Hate Forest reunion, (don't know enough about these guys to know if that's possible) Drudkh (who I'm pretty sure don't play live) or Blood of Kingu (similar no-show attitude from what I gather).

My second guess was Greece. Maybe some Hellenic black metal headliner could be in the cards... but then I found out that Dead Congregation is from Athens.

Finally, have there been any Russian bands at the fest? There's a fairly decent black metal scene there from what I gather, but I don't know what any of those Blazebirth bands' opinions on shows are. Also, I believe a lot of them are NS.

If the unrepresented country bit is true, that means it's probably a black metal band. I think all of the big death and thrash countries have been represented. Unless those extra bands aren't headliners. Who knows?

BoltTheGates
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:30 pm 

If they were to book a band from Russia, I think it would be Pseudogod.

Tuonela1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:12 am 

I'd cream my panties four times in a row if they got Nokturnal Mortum. But I doubt it. It's the last batch, I doubt they'd announce any more bigger bands. They're probably just going to be some little ones for the Soundstage.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:17 am 

There are two more bands for the Edison parking lot venue. Could very well be headliner-scale bands.

Tuonela1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:58 am 

Oh? I thought they had all the headliners now. I guess we'll see?

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:27 pm 

Bah, I misread the original post and thought it was going to be a headliner, but on the Facebook page they say otherwise.

Quote:
It appears that we will announce one (possibly two) more bands for the main location (Edison) sometime in December. Neither band will be a huge headliner, but will be a nice way to round things out. One band in particular would represent a country that has never been represented before at MDF, and we're currently waiting to make sure that they can make it into the US before announcing them.

That said, there have been some pretty big-named non-headliner bands in the last few years (Agalloch, Napalm Death, Sleep, Repulsion) as well as some world-class underground bands on the bill (Vinterland, Cobalt, Demigod, Morbid Saint) so the chances of some pant-shittingly good bands being booked are still good. One that would make the most sense would be Carpathian Forest, since Ryan and Evan seemed pretty keen on rebooking them. It would also explain why they wouldn't want to announce them until every detail was ironed out. On top of my speculation above, someone on the Facebook page voiced their hope that the unrepresented country was Egypt. I personally don't know much about them, but I think Scarab's got a decent amount of underground buzz. They could work well as an under-the-radar band.

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:38 pm 

BoltTheGates wrote:

Good guess!

Quote:
Due to a line-up issue (specifically, no chance for the band to find a replacement drummer in time for MDF), WITCHRIST will not be performing at MDF XII.

THE RUINS OF BEVERAST (Germany) will be filling the vacant space created by the cancellation, which means they will be playing on Friday at the Edison Lot.

Also, we can now announce that PSEUDOGOD (Russia) have been confirmed to appear at MDF XII. When we mentioned that we were waiting to find out if a certain band could make it over to the US, this is who we were referring to. They will be playing on Sunday at the Edison Lot.

We will not be announcing anymore bands for any of the venues.

I feel like the Ruins of Beverast were supposed to be a supplementary band instead of a replacement band, just judging by popularity and buzz. It sucks for the guys in Witchrist who don't get to play... I wonder if this means anything for Diocletian, seeing as they share the same drummer as Witchrist. On the bright side, I've been meaning to check out the Ruins of Beverast for a while. Now I've got more reason to do so.

BoltTheGates
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:37 pm 

Starwind wrote:
BoltTheGates wrote:

Good guess!

Damn straight!

Looking at Witchrist's facebook page, Necrobastard is no longer listed under members. He's still in Diocletian and they're supposed to tour the states around the time of the fest. I don't think we have to worry about them dropping off unless something drastic happens.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:01 pm 

I, for one, am really excited about seeing Ruins of Beverast! The other day I was lamenting over the fact that I missed them at a prior MDF.

AltarsInGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:31 pm 

Finally going to have my MDF cherry popped this year. Looking forward to it. Some great bands on this year

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:46 am 

I will definitely be going on Sunday, and might try to go on Friday too. I'm excited to finally be going to MDF after growing up only about an hour away from Baltimore but never being able to go because of school and stuff.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Faster Than You
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:01 pm 

A friend and I plan on going to the Edison (spelling?) stage.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:56 am 

Ulver cancelled:

From facebook:
We regret to inform you that due to an unexpected health concern with one of the members of Ulver, they have cancelled all of their upcoming confirmed shows, including their appearance at MDF XII. A Doctor has advised that this member take it easy, so in the end, health absolutely must come first. More info regarding this situation can be found on their website at the link below. From our end, if health improves and the band is able to perform live again, they will most definitely be invited back to MDF in the future, as we know they were very much looking forward to playing this year.

We will be filling the vacant space created by the cancellation and that will be addressed within the next couple of days. We kindly request that you keep your expectations in line with reality, given that we are dealing with short notice and a limited list of available bands that could be considered a legitimate replacement for Ulver.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:00 pm 

Ulver would have been a nice diversion from the rest of the bands and I was looking forward to seeing them. I hope their replacement is good, but that goes without saying!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:54 pm 

I will laugh if they replace Ulver with Carpathian Forest.

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 am 

Subrick wrote:
I will laugh if they replace Ulver with Carpathian Forest.

Replacing a band I only marginally care for with another band I only marginally care for. I could definitely see them getting Immortal to replace Ulver, and that would be quite cool. If they could get Gorgoroth though :drool:

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 am 

I'm not getting my hopes up, but Immortal would be really cool. I've never seen them before.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:10 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Ulver would have been a nice diversion from the rest of the bands and I was looking forward to seeing them. I hope their replacement is good, but that goes without saying!

Agalloch's replacing them.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:13 pm 

Just saw the post on Facebook! I'm happy with that.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:33 pm 

Was a bit bummed to hear about Ulver, but at the end of the day they were just going to be a novelty. Agalloch's set I will actually enjoy.

gorgonsisterhood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:22 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
They're changing venues. That's been established since they commented on it soon after this year's festival. They also addressed the security concerns people brought up about this past year's festival and said they're going to do a better job of screening security people.

thank fuck. the security last year was owrse than any of the other years by far. Especially with the "no studs" Down debacle. Stoked to see how these new venues work out (mostly Edison Lot, never been)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:17 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
Agalloch's set I will actually enjoy.

I don't understand how a band can base their entire sound around acoustic guitars and neofolk melodies then play only electric live. It's super disappointing and the songs barely even sound the same.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:44 am 

From Facebook:

Due to "personal reasons", Hemdale will not be able to perform at MDF XII this year. MISERY INDEX will now be playing on Sunday, May 25th at the Edison Lot.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:17 pm 

So Misery Index will be sticking around after the pre-fest show. Cool. I've never listened to them but have heard good things about them.

goro_stern502
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:27 pm 

I'm going to MDF 2014 and it's my first time going so I wanted to ask anyone with experience how they handle buying merch and enjoying the bands at the same time without worrying about it breaking or getting lost? Should I take in a backpack and keep it with me the entire time? Keep in mind that I plan on buying quite a few shirts and CDs. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:46 pm 

Re-entry is allowed, so you can take merch and stuff back to your hotel/car and re-enter the fest grounds. Backpacks are pretty annoying IMO, since every time you come into the fest grounds you have to get it searched.

Typically I just block off some time during bands I don't mind missing to browse merch, buy some stuff and run it back to the car. Then again, I've yet to go to an MDF where I had a budget that allowed me to really go hog-wild with merch purchases, but I'm sure that even if I did, I'd have no problem making runs to the car/hotel to stash stuff.

goro_stern502
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:19 am 

Awesome thanks!

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:57 pm 

It's hard to say how it'll be this year. In recent years, MDF mostly took place in the parking lot outside Sonar (and inside Sonar before it was converted to a club), so it was easy enough to listen to the outside bands while you shopped, but not really so much with any inside bands (which were a non-issue last year, except for the Soundstage shows). This year, the show is being split up between three venues - Edison Lot (I'm not familiar with it so I'll have to drive over that way soon and take a look), Ram's Head and Soundstage. Ram's Head and Soundstage are both in door venues in the Power Plant area, roughly across the street from one another. So it's hard for me to say what, exactly, the merchandise situation will be this year. Presumably, most vendors will be in the Edison area, but bands often sell their own stuff at the individual venues.

Backpacks are indeed a pain, especially last year when security was such a pain in the ass that you had huge lines waiting to get back into the venue. Many vendors have plastic bags they'll give you, and I've always just done that - use the plastic bags, buy some stuff between bands, drop it off at my car.

On a related note, for those of you going on Thursday, there's going to be a matinee show in town with Horrendous, Coffin Dust and Bones at a venue a few minutes away from MDF.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:09 pm 

Thanks for the heads up about that matinee show, I'll be in Baltimore on Thursday but I don't have a ticket to the Ram's Head that day.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 pm 

Yeah same here, I wasn't compelled enough to get a Thursday ticket but I'm definitely catching the matinee show. It's near a place called Joe Squared, if you're into unique pizza experiences.

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:18 am 

Selling a Sunday Ramshead ticket for $30 including shipping. Pm if interested.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:48 pm 

Turns out I'm not gonna be going to Hellfest this year, as life stuff over the last few months has made it so I can't afford to do it. Instead, I'm gonna be going to MDF instead.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:10 am 

Shoulda made that choice earlier, since all the Ram's Head tickets are long gone!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:03 pm 

On their website they've still got the all venues, every day pass up.

nomisofsiman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:15 am 

Finally confirmed that this will be my first time going. Got tickets quite a while ago, but finally booked a hotel. Very psyched for this.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:10 pm 

I'm confused why people thought Immortal might fill in? They've been silent (in the north abyss) :boo: for awhile. Anyway I noticed Mgla is going to be there, I really fucking hope they do what Sargeist/Behexen are doing and tour the US after.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next