Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:08 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
I may be wrong, but I think the game is clunky by design. Seems so, at least.

You are wrong. It's not clunky at all with a controller. It's your fault for playing with a shitty kb/m. :P

Exactly. Playing with a mouse / keys is like playing Shaq Fu regular. Get a controller and play it as it should be.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
You are wrong. It's not clunky at all with a controller. It's your fault for playing with a shitty kb/m. :P

If the game is designed with a controller in mind, then yeah, that would make sense. Unfortunately, for me, the shittiness is reversed. I simply cannot use controllers, not effectively anyway. It's mostly the analog sticks, which I despise. I just feel a mouse is so much more precise and responsive, though perhaps not with Dark Souls. And with a keyboard, you have a lot more options at designating keys until you find something that is comfortable. I still play my PS2 on occasion, but I always wish I could plug a keyboard and mouse into the console. Why can't we do that yet?

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:23 am 

Morrigan wrote:

If the game is designed with a controller in mind, then yeah, that would make sense. Unfortunately, for me, the shittiness is reversed. I simply cannot use controllers, not effectively anyway. It's mostly the analog sticks, which I despise. I just feel a mouse is so much more precise and responsive, though perhaps not with Dark Souls. And with a keyboard, you have a lot more options at designating keys until you find something that is comfortable. I still play my PS2 on occasion, but I always wish I could plug a keyboard and mouse into the console. Why can't we do that yet?

Unreal Tournament III for PS3 allowed you to do that. A few other games supported that as well, I believe.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:02 pm 

I finally started this yesterday, had a copy since 2012. I just beat the Gargoyles and The Capra Demon. Still can't quite parry a lot of the time, but I'm doing okay despite that. Need to work on it.

Done a little scouting trip earlier on down past the blacksmith guy in the undead parish. The area after that doesn't seem too bad. Probably the hardest thing so far was the Taurus Demon. Then I learned his attacks and firebombed the shit out of him :lol:

Edit - Now at Blighttown swamp. Blighttown was so bloody scary.

Dat Gaping Dragon fight as well in the sewers. Was like something out Shadow of the Colossus. But with a gigantic vagina monster. This game is awesome. Why did I not start it sooner?

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:25 pm 

I'm playing my first (successful) SL1 (+ no magic or archery, starting class armor only) playthrough. Sort of like playing the game for the first time haha. Beating Ornstein and Smough was possibly the hardest thing I've done in a Souls game. I shudder thinking about fighting Manus, anyone do one of these playthoughs?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:28 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Interesting perspective...Before DS I'd agree with you about preferring keyboards over a controller, but something about the controller setup for DS (and eventually Borderlands 2) just clicked for me. Hope the keyboard integration in DS2 is more to your fancy!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:31 pm 

Morrigan did a SL1 playthrough, but then again, she's the master of all things Souls related :-P

I'm too much of a chicken to go for a SL1 build, really. I might try one of those self-imposed challenges though, like the Guts run some people seem to be fond of.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:51 pm 

I did, aye, but I still used pyros and crossbows because I'm not that crazy. Though honestly crossbows were only ever useful against Manus and Kalameet. Pyros wrecked S&O and Artorias.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:56 pm 

Yeah, I couldn't imagine trying to go against S&O without pyros. At least for the first half - I used mine to take Ornstein down to two hits and melee'd those two to kill him. Smough I could melee pretty easily once I got his attack pattern down. But Ornstein is fast enough that straight melee'ing him would a pain, especially while staying out of range of Smough's attacks.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:05 pm 

Hey, not to sound like a hardass or anything, but does anyone else prefer to fight Super Ornstein instead of Super Smough? I don't know, I just think it's more fun, mostly because he does more than just get elementally charged, unlike Mr. Fatso.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:10 pm 

I'd love to try it, but there's no way I'm skilled or patient enough right now to try killing Smough first, at least solo.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:37 pm 

Both times I killed off DSO just so I wouldn't have that asshole on me supercharged. Rather deal with the fatman electrified.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:49 pm 

I pretty much always kill Smough first...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:27 pm 

Samesies, didn't even know that one was easier than another. I just never have use for any of Smough's stuff.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:14 pm 

Beating them without magic at SL1 is quite the undertaking. All you can really do is bait Ornstein away and get a quick hit or two before Smough comes charging in with his charge attack. Fighting Smough first is extremely difficult because Ornstein is very hard to keep track of without directly concentrating on him, as he will always leap at you from all the way across the room.

Fun story: I ran out of all 20 estus flasks during the fight, and burnt through 3 humanities. I didn't have Twin Humanities hotkeyed (on PS3 version) so I quickly pulled up and navigated my menu while Super Smough was having his way with a pillar :lol: Right when he was about to die he used his lightning butt slam immediately after I expended my stamina; my heart skipped a beat, methinks. Somehow I survived the attack; I think because his body hit me, not the lightning. I promptly whacked him and won the fight after a combined 3 hours or so of attempts, many of which failed within 20 seconds.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 pm 

Man, I joined the Forest Hunter covenant, and it's indeed great for PVP practice. I've managed to score some kills, including a couple of gankers! :-D I mean, sure, I've tasted defeat much more often than victory, but hey, that's how you learn.

Particularly deserving of mention is the fact that I killed the same guy twice in the span of a few minutes, so someone, somewhere in the world must be hating my guts right now :lol:

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:59 am 

I solo'd Smough and Ornstein last night. Queelags Fury Sword was a great help. Ended up killing Ornstein first, then Smough.

Still really enjoying this. The only part of the game that felt a little cheap was the Anor Londo archers. I don't think I could've managed that without the poison arrow trick. Itching to get back to the game after work.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:12 am 

^The part I always feared the most in DS1 was those damn archers when running along the side of the building to the bonfire. They ruined my deathless run also.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 am 

I was frustrated with the archers at first too, though I eventually found it fairly easy to cheese them into running/sword-swiping off the ledge, didn't need poison or anything.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:34 pm 

They're not that hard. There are many ways to handle them. Snipe them, or run, roll forward to dodge, and then either parry/riposte, or great combustion at point-blank, etc. The trick is to avoid shielding, because unless you're 100% aligned with the direction of the arrow you'll get knocked off (the hitbox is kinda buggy)

In short: bravery required ahead

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:10 pm 

I finished this last night. That was very satisfying final boss, besting Gwyn with my dude. Turns out I missed a boss fight in Anor Londo and a NPC plot twist connected to that. And I didn't know you could save Sun Bro.

I will be buying Dark Souls 2 at some point and I will definitely replay this. I really enjoyed it.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:46 pm 

Just picked this up last week for PS3. I beat the first boss and made my way partially through the Undead Burg. Kinda dig it so far. Definitely takes some getting used to the autosave function though. Reminds me of a bare bones version of Skyrim in some aspects.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:22 pm 

You need to edit that sig, way too long. 4 lines top.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:11 pm 

In terms of how much length it adds to the bottom of the post, it is only a smidge longer than yours.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:11 pm 

Praise the Sun!

What's a good STR/magic build? I never beat DS1 so I plan to go back after DS2 and start fresh. I was doing a Wanderer with Pyromancy before which wasn't bad. I started this in DS2 though... then decided to start over for something different and did Warrior, busting out a maxed Bastard Sword and Ultra Greatsword through the majority of the game and it's felt like I broke it. I mean, maybe this one is arguably easier, and I won't be the guy who thinks this being easier means it's worse, but hot damn. It could also just be that for myself and others, this is the third Souls game after all, so we're fairly accustomed to what's going on and how to do things at this point. But seriously yeah, beat most of the bosses on my first or second try. I'm at the Drangleic castle, so I figure this is the final stretch.

So anyways, yeah. Sounds weird but I bet it's totally doable, STR/magic. I'm not even sure which one is more offensive though, but Sunlight Spear looks hilariously awesome. With my DS2 Warrior build I probably pumped too much into DEX anyways and could have done some magic instead. I know you can visit the old ladies to reset stuff but that just doesn't feel right to me. I did get some Pyromancy again though, Firestorm is hilarious...

I could play this formula forever. It's my new Metroidvania. That said, I would really love for them to go back to Demon's format with a simpler hub. Demon's being shorter than the Dark games might just be due to it being the first one after all, so maybe they could do another hub styled one with way more and bigger levels. Overall Demon's might still be my favorite, but it might be nostalgia and simply put it was the first adventure into the madness that is Souls, that initial experience is going to be unforgettable.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:13 pm 

You know what pisses me off? When you're summoned for PVP through an invasion sign and the fucker you're fighting with won't stop healing whenever he gets a chance :annoyed:

Also, if you let your white phantom deal with an invader you summoned only to backstab the latter when he's weakened enough, then you deserve to fucking die. Slowly. And painfully.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:52 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Praise the Sun!

What's a good STR/magic build?

This is exactly what I've been doing in DSII and also had a char like that in DSI although my best guys were dex/int and dex/faith. I posted these links awhile back to my last 2 pvp builds I used in DSI, you could modify them from dex to str hybrids but then you will obviously have to change some equipment or add some endurance or something if you want to maintain roll speeds.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=302728681471179917
http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=155053839877285460

As far as DSII goes, well post in that thread, but I've used dex/int, str/int and str/fai and they all work great.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:14 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
You know what pisses me off? When you're summoned for PVP through an invasion sign and the fucker you're fighting with won't stop healing whenever he gets a chance :annoyed:

Also, if you let your white phantom deal with an invader you summoned only to backstab the latter when he's weakened enough, then you deserve to fucking die. Slowly. And painfully.

Yep, gankers gonna gank, and scrubs gonna chug dat estus. Nothing new, summoned red phantoms have suffered this since Demon's really. Seems the only way to get 1v1 duels are through the Blood Bro arena (you still get scrubs that run away and heal though, but you can heal too at least) or through the Dragon covenant (again you still get scrubs but as far as I know they can't see dragon signs with a phantom present, so it's always 1v1).

Sometimes you get okay duels with the red soapstone in the Iron Keep bridge, which seems to be the default PvP area. But don't bother dropping a red in, say, Drangleic. I tried it for about an hour in NG+ the other day and had 0 real duel, only scrubs who rushed me as I spawned (if they were alone, which they rarely were), gankers, or you get summoned for
the Mirror Knight boss fight, which is a cool idea except the loading times are atrocious and even when you hear the music kick in, it's still loading for 15 more seconds and you don't see what's happening and then you spawn in the thick of it, without a chance to react. Waste of time really. If you're lucky the host will be too busy against the boss, but there were times I was taking damage just as I could finally move my character around and one time, I was even DEAD before my screen loaded. Seriously, the boss arena loaded and I saw my death animation and "YOU DIED". Get your shit together, From. :nono:

Edit: whoops, thought I was replying in the Dark Souls II thread. :lol: Well, it still most applies, but for a chance at decent DkS1 PvP with the red soapstone I suggest Oolacile Township or the Undead Burg. They are the de facto PvP arenas of the game, but that's of course no guarantee that you won't get scrubs or gankers, sadly.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:14 pm 

So I beat the game yesterday. Gwyn was... a pushover, to say the least; Target Shield/Bandit's Knife/Hornet Ring had him down in less than a minute. o_O Also, Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith sucked ass. And I don't mean they were hard, the level design was just shitty. Three dozen half-dragon things just spammed all over the map? Puh-lease. :ugh:

Started a second build today too! The one I beat the game with was a bit awkward since it was only my second ever and I was still grasping the mechanics of the game, but it ended up as a light, no-poise, DEX-heavy, bleed-infliction type with moderate investments in Faith for heals. Considering I play offline exclusively, that seems kind of dumb to me now (backstab mechanics aren't an option for most of the later game, and miracles are kind of redundant with Etsus in mind), so this new build is turning out to be a STR/END two-handing tank. And it's working wonders. :D

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:26 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
So I beat the game yesterday. Gwyn was... a pushover, to say the least; Target Shield/Bandit's Knife/Hornet Ring had him down in less than a minute. o_O Also, Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith sucked ass. And I don't mean they were hard, the level design was just shitty. Three dozen half-dragon things just spammed all over the map? Puh-lease. :ugh:

From what I've gathered that's a pretty common consensus, to which I agree. Sort of weird that a game specializing in surreal gothic horror could screw up the hell zone (especially because the outer demon ruins before the gate seemed really interesting.)

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:26 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:

From what I've gathered that's a pretty common consensus, to which I agree. Sort of weird that a game specializing in surreal gothic horror could screw up the hell zone, especially because the outer demon ruins before the gate seemed really interesting.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:00 pm 

Yeah, real bummer. The large scale of the place was annoying too, having to run for miles before even getting to any kind of enemies, let alone bonfires. Definitely not looking forward to going back. :lol:

Question for Morri: is it actually worthwhile to upgrade a shield? From what I understand, the stat you see increase most while upgrading a shield doesn't signify damage resistance, but rather bash damage. I generally don't bash, so every time I've upgraded a shield, the only other thing that was proposed to be modified was a slight (~1 point) change in stability, with no modifications to the shield's actual defensive capabilities. It seems almost totally useless but I see so many people doing it that I feel like I might be missing something...?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:24 pm 

So a shield with 15 levels can gain 15 stability. I found that pretty useful with the Black Iron Greatshield. Helped me beat Oreo and Smore.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:38 pm 

Ehh, fair enough. I've gathered that stability has a much more noticeable effect in light of small increases compared to upgrades for weapon damage, but I didn't feel like shield stability was ever too important to any of the builds I've used thus far. Even the wimpy stability stats on the 100% block shields worked for me. Then again, my last character did an awful lot of rolling and I basically only used my shield to parry/riposte, so now that I'm running a tank build maybe I'll be forced to eat my words soon. :P

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 pm 

@Morrigan: yeah, I was doing PVP in the Undead Burg when I got ganked and such. Maybe I should consider a change of location. It really is too bad to hear such things, but hey, what can you do? :nono:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:31 am 

If any of you guys are FANCYTIGER1 please stay online right now because your dumbassery is making my night. :lol:

Forest Covenant :metal:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:26 am 

Probably my favorite PvP experience was back in Oolacile Township where these 2 guys kept summoning me as a black phantom and would cast tranquil walk of peace while standing behind me before I could even do anything and I kept owning both of them anyway. Or the dude who must have been lvl 700 who kept standing with his back to me and giving me something stupid like 5 million souls per kill, but then I just stayed in his game and dueled whoever he summoned.

I haven't gotten into PvP in DSII yet aside from maxing out the bell tower covenant, but it still has some major lag issues :( It's great when a guy is nowhere near you on the screen or you are about to backstab him and he's stabbing air with a little dagger but for some reason you are dying

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:47 am 

I know it was already established it's the wrong thread for this... eh, might as well go for it, for the sake of continuity:
Morrigan wrote:
Sometimes you get okay duels with the red soapstone in the Iron Keep bridge, which seems to be the default PvP area. But don't bother dropping a red in, say, Drangleic. I tried it for about an hour in NG+ the other day and had 0 real duel, only scrubs who rushed me as I spawned (if they were alone, which they rarely were), gankers, or you get summoned for
the Mirror Knight boss fight, which is a cool idea except the loading times are atrocious and even when you hear the music kick in, it's still loading for 15 more seconds and you don't see what's happening and then you spawn in the thick of it, without a chance to react. Waste of time really. If you're lucky the host will be too busy against the boss, but there were times I was taking damage just as I could finally move my character around and one time, I was even DEAD before my screen loaded. Seriously, the boss arena loaded and I saw my death animation and "YOU DIED". Get your shit together, From. :nono:

Did you console guys have The Looking Glass Knight upgraded back to his pre-downgrade state, or were you referring to him as "The Mirror Knight" just because it has stuck?
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:59 pm 

I think I just met my first hacker, because otherwise, I don't get how you'd receive a measly 140 damage from a two-handed swing of a Black Knight greataxe*, and not only that, but have also have your health bar barely move o_O

*A +5 BK axe, mind you, used by a character with 40 strength.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:20 pm 

^ Maybe, though it's happened to me before due to the armor and such of the other guy.

In general I loathe the PVP aspect of DS since it occurs when I really don't want it, but when I'm on the giving end I'm pumped. When it's on my terms then yes I definitely get a rush invading another player. Last night it was too good with this FANCYTIGER1 guy rambo-ing Forest Hunter covenant players in the garden. This guy constantly came back for more armed with DS Orenstein's spear R1 spamming.

Also had a fight earlier last night with a Dragon covenant player who just ran all over the place and really didn't attack as much as he was just fucking with me. Could barely see him since he was cloaked and we were in the Darkroot Garden. Then he tried jumping from one cliff face to the other and failed miserably, ending the 10 minutes of running around. :lol:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 35  Next