Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:07 pm 

Well, considering I'm not a mod and most of what I know is based on words taken from the mouths of people who are, I probably shouldn't say anything about it myself. I don't know what the admins' integration of that will look like and I don't want to give a false impression of the features included with such an update. Maybe Azmodes could tell you more if he sees this post.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:37 am 

Different versions of the same release as sub-entries for that release. Think Discogs. It's been proposed and discussed among the staff, the owners are certainly aware of it, but when and how exactly it will be realised I cannot say. The if I would describe as practically certain, though.

To get a rough picture, check these mockups from two years ago courtesy of Alhadis:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/593/pagecollapsed.png
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3753 ... panded.png
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8712 ... otable.png

(may or may not resemble the final product, these are just part of ideas that have been thrown around)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:59 pm 

I think this might be the place to talk about it but if I'm wrong just hit me in the head. :p

I just noticed that drop-down menus and text boxes are different now, more fluid and smoother with what seems like a "transition" or fading effect. They seem very cool and in fact I could swear that navigation in tabs (bands/albums) is also faster and more fluid. The page loads (bands/albums) however seems to be having a few milliseconds of delay though. Like when you click on an album to access it, it doesn't stutter but there's a very small delay it would seem. It could be just me but if others, with different eyes and Internet connection could see for themselves it would be great.

Are there any more changes inbound?

PS: Is the content within a tab (e.g. main discography) being loaded all at once? If that's the case then it might just be the cache being written. Just guessing though.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:21 am 

Why, on label pages, does the past roster include a field for number of albums released, but the current roster doesn't? That seems like information that would be just as relevant to both categories of bands.

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am 

Three suggestions:
A function of "Users by country" is pretty good that we can find mates from our same countries, and so we can find and make more friends to discuss issues about updates, etc.
Every user should have the privilege "Input has been requested from:" in Reports, not only Mods and Knights. By this way, we can immediately tell others who are on the report a new useful and important comment.
This is a suggestion I made before: Add a "Go to page" to the pages like Browse Bands - Alphabetically, etc. For example: In this: http://www.metal-archives.com/lists/S, there are 21 pages. You wanna go to middle of the pages (page 10), you can't go there directly, you just go to 5 to 7 to 9 to 10, or 21 to 17 to 15....

One complaint:
Seems that this happened to some of you, the old story: MA's DNS server, which responded very slowly sometime. Even there's no response (can't connect to the site, the page keeps loading)! And I ever modified a tracklist, I just clicked "save" for one time, it kept loading and loading, finally the times were different, like I clicked "save" many times. Also, recently there have been some albums/reports added twice at the same time. I mean MA server goes wrong again.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:02 am 

BlackenedZeroth wrote:
Every user should have the privilege "Input has been requested from:" in Reports, not only Mods and Knights. By this way, we can immediately tell others who are on the report a new useful and important comment.

Well I guess the reason that not every user is able to do that is because if they were, there would most definitely be some users who abuse it or use it wrongfully, so all users having that privilege does not seem like a good idea at all. If it was to be given to veterans or trusted users, then the "Notice from administration" at the top of their notification would have to change to something else, otherwise it would be extremely misleading... but other than that, I think the admins probably like to be able to carefully select which users can send such notices (though I can't speak for them, obviously), and it was probably originally made just knights and mods for a reason... so personally, I'm quite comfortable with it being just the knights and staffers.

BlackenedZeroth wrote:
This is a suggestion I made before: Add a "Go to page" to the pages like Browse Bands - Alphabetically, etc. For example: In this: http://www.metal-archives.com/lists/S, there are 21 pages. You wanna go to middle of the pages (page 10), you can't go there directly, you just go to 5 to 7 to 9 to 10, or 21 to 17 to 15....

That would be useful, actually. I like the idea.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:23 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
BlackenedZeroth wrote:

Well I guess the reason that not every user is able to do that is because if they were, there would most definitely be some users who abuse it or use it wrongfully, so all users having that privilege does not seem like a good idea at all. If it was to be given to veterans or trusted users, then the "Notice from administration" at the top of their notification would have to change to something else, otherwise it would be extremely misleading... but other than that, I think the admins probably like to be able to carefully select which users can send such notices (though I can't speak for them, obviously), and it was probably originally made just knights and mods for a reason... so personally, I'm quite comfortable with it being just the knights and staffers.

Another thing to add: Given that only mods and knights can close reports, eventually one of us will come across any open/resolved ones that do/may need further input, and subsequently request it. Mods are even able to re-open reports in the event one is closed too early. I think this ability should be utilized more often than it is: old reporters who never gave a source/re-checked their report (or whatever) can be "input"ed with a note saying to file a new one with proof. Afterwards the mod simply closes it again. (I have no idea if mods are able to request input on closed reports or if they have to open them first.) Doing so this way would avoid having tons of perhaps unnecessary old reports lying around the queue. Assuming the reporter is still active on the site or returns someday, they log in, read the note, and hopefully make another report.

boblovesmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:04 pm 

So I had a crazy idea that might be cool for the site. An area based search function!

While the city/state/country search feature is awesome, sometimes I want to find out if there are any bands in a radius of say 5 miles or 10 miles or even 20 miles or more. For example, I live in Worcester but I know there are bands that are in the area surrounding Worcester that might not appear under just a Worcester search. It could be connected to Google Maps or whatever so that say you're driving around some random place and you're like "wonder what metal bands are in this area?" you could look it up! Just a thought!

BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:23 pm 

James Murphy

listed here (album page): http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fu ... abs_lineup
not here (artist page): http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/J ... t_tab_misc

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:42 pm 

^Cache cleared.

boblovesmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:26 pm 

boblovesmusic wrote:
So I had a crazy idea that might be cool for the site. An area based search function!

While the city/state/country search feature is awesome, sometimes I want to find out if there are any bands in a radius of say 5 miles or 10 miles or even 20 miles or more. For example, I live in Worcester but I know there are bands that are in the area surrounding Worcester that might not appear under just a Worcester search. It could be connected to Google Maps or whatever so that say you're driving around some random place and you're like "wonder what metal bands are in this area?" you could look it up! Just a thought!

Any thoughts? :)

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:46 am 

This one is a bit hard to replicate, but here goes.

If you have an artist that appears as a session musician/guest with the same band two or more times, and uses two or more different aliases during said appearances, both of which are different from their display name, you end up with an odd bug where the first alias is listed as their main alias with said group, with the other alias appearing in the album appearances section, even if the second alias is used more often.

To illustrate the bug, since it sounds confusing in word form, I point to Don Drakulich and Hunter Jackson, two of the hang-arounds of GWAR.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:23 am 

I'm sleepy so I'll make this quick: you guys need to consider setting a max height limit on images so that tall images like the one on this page don't stretch down into the abysses of the Mariana Trench. Surely you must be doing something so that images wider than, say, 200 px are automatically loaded as a thumbnail and don't stretch off the right side of the webpage? Do it for image height too.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:56 pm 

not sure this is the correct place to post, but here goes: the last 3 edits on this page:
http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... /id/404522
appear twice each. note the time signatures... ?

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:41 am 

aloof wrote:
not sure this is the correct place to post, but here goes: the last 3 edits on this page:
http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... /id/404522
appear twice each. note the time signatures... ?

This is a split of two bands, so it appears twice. If this is a split of four bands, it will appear four times (there must be entries of the four bands on MA).
For example: http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... /id/129484

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:58 am 

whoa. thanks for your reply :)

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 am 

The DOB range needs to be lowered because there's now a seven-year-old with an artist profile: http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/J ... ung/532809

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:36 am 

:lol: Sir Christopher Lee and Ms. Bologna, pushing the envelope.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:47 pm 

So according to this Facebook post (https://www.facebook.com/Sockweb/posts/594431420582801) she had her 7th birthday on 15th January, meaning her birthdate must be 15th January 2007. As this (currently) can't be added to the age, could there perhaps be a temporary note on the page instead?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:06 pm 

Are you fucking kidding me... ugh. "Fixed".

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:42 pm 

I'm getting a few errors and some pages are loading slowly, if at all. But some pages load up fine...
Quote:
Error:

Oops! An internal error has occurred. If the problem persists, please contact the webmasters. We apologize for the inconvenience.

My browser bar says Error 500.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:26 pm 

Yeah, the site has been a disaster honestly since last night (8 hours ago by now...) I'm getting a "too many connections" error on the forum sporadically which made posting this much harder than it had to be.

The main page seems to load up alright, but when you try to jump around the report queue you get this error: "DataTables warning (table id = 'unassigned'): DataTables warning: JSON data from server could not be parsed. This is caused by a JSON formatting error." Then after that I get an error 500 all over the site for artists etc.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:57 am 

I believe this is the place to report this:

Quote:
[11:54] MorbidEngel on the homepage, sometimes Russian shows as: "Замёрзши�..."
[11:55] MorbidEngel but it shows normal on the album/artist page, where it's "Замёрзшим вздохом" as normal

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/%D ... %BC/383220 was the album in question. I don't know if other languages do this.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:19 pm 

I did a brief search and couldn't find anything useful on the topic, but are there any suggestions for adding a band who has an unknown country of origin. Dead in the Manger has an upcoming release through 20 Buck Spin, but the label states little is known about the band, blah, blah, blah. Anyways, I was going to add a draft and add them once the release hit, but I couldn't add the band without a country of origin.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:38 pm 

^In those cases, just use "international" as the country of origin. I've done so with one of my added bands and seen several others.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:58 pm 

Obscurum wrote:
^In those cases, just use "international" as the country of origin. I've done so with one of my added bands and seen several others.

Thanks man! That should cover it.

Sarkreth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:50 am 

BUG: No user reviews!

Here is a review:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/F ... onel_Kurtz
But when I click the "Read Colonel_Kurtz's reviews" link, it says s/he has posted none:
http://www.metal-archives.com/user-revi ... onel_Kurtz

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:16 pm 

Sarkreth wrote:
BUG: No user reviews!

Here is a review:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/F ... onel_Kurtz
But when I click the "Read Colonel_Kurtz's reviews" link, it says s/he has posted none:
http://www.metal-archives.com/user-revi ... onel_Kurtz

Oops. Seems like there was a username collision, it was trying to load the reviews by the user "Colonel Kurtz" (with a space, not an underscore), who has none. Same thing happened with collections and submitted bands.

Fixed, thanks.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:03 pm 

Nothing wrong with a song title taking up more than one row, but it looks really weird when it's cut off in the middle of a word, which is the case, at least for me, here:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ni ... cked/71195

"Chapter of Obeisance Before Giving Breath to the Inert One in the Presence of the Crescent S
haped Horns"

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:59 pm 

I'm having issues bro we the main site from mobile, like I can't even get it to load band pages or anything. If I try and use search Orr log into the main site it completely jacks up the page and makes in unusable. Also if I click links to band pages the discography, reviews, members, etc. tabs aren't displayed probably and are unusable as well. I've never had this problem until recently and the weird part is the forum pages work just fine with my phone. I'm browsing in Firefox as well so I don't know if it's just my phone or if there's a problem with the main site and mobile surfing. I'll try and take screenshots and post them when I get home to make more sense of what I'm saying.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:38 am 

Hey guys, is it possible to make searching by alternate band names available in the collection search function? I was searching for Аспид by writing "Aspid" and it gave me no results, so I guess the search function there works in terms of exact text match. Now imagine if someone has a lot of Cyrillic based bands/albums in his/her collection. How does one search for them?!

Is it feasible?

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:15 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ka ... 000/369292

previous release of Kampfkoloss not mentioned on the right side in the link section.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:40 pm 

I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but it seems weird to me that when you close the expanded image window in band/release/artist pages, it adds a # in the URL effectively having took you to another page (and requiring another push of the back button).

I'm not saying this is a huge issue or anything, it just, as I said, seems weird to me.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:19 pm 

This artist http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/H ... tch/308064 was born on 17 June 1898, I can't add it because 1900 is the limit. Is it possible to add 1895-1899 years for choosing?

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 pm 

When I'm adding a different version of an album, how do I split up the 2 sides of an album?

untappd: patrick_g

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:26 pm 

Choose the format (tape, vinyl) and then drag the "side B" to where it belongs.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:36 pm 

Sciera wrote:
Choose the format (tape, vinyl) and then drag the "side B" to where it belongs.

thank you

untappd: patrick_g

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:21 pm 

Thank you so much for adding the ability to have multiple versions of a release. So integral to the completeness of this site and so useful for collectors and label owners who like to make sure it's easy to define different releases in their catalogs. Kudos. Best modification yet.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:49 pm 

It was a long time coming, for sure, and much kudos goes out to HellBlazer for taking the time and effort to do the programming for it!

We hope that the feature will help further the comprehensiveness of the site - and be useful for collectors - but it is still in its infancy. It's a learning process to figure out how we should use it and what our best practices should be. If you have - or anyone - has any suggestions for it, please let us know. We expect that this feature will require loads of work getting versions up on the site.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Best modification yet.

Came here to say exactly that. This is the best update I've seen for the Archives since I started using it. Thank you so much guys--this is going to make keeping track of album versions much easier and hopefully cut down on side quests to Discogs! I'll happily provide version info when I see it's needed.

I bet dreadmeat is foaming at the mouth...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 65  Next