Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:17 pm 

Watched the second Hunger Games movie tonight.

I'd give it maybe a C-. Some of the action scenes were almost interesting. Peeta is a little bitch as expected, Katniss is basically Ender Wiggin on a smaller scale (ANGST! ARRGGHHH) and there were about 14 hours of useless drama and romance buildup before the action kicked in. These movies try really hard to toe the line between being angsty teen action movies and angsty teen drama/romance movies but basically fail at both. The action could look much worse though, I guess.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:39 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
but the movie jettisons along at break-neck speeds

:scratch:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:41 pm 

I watched 'Prisoners' and boy was it intense! It was slow-paced but every moment seemed so real and absorbing. Definitely one of the better crime/thriller movies made in the last couple of years.

Spoiler: show
I kinda guessed it was the old lady when Jackman first visited her to apologize for "scaring her son away". Apart from that, the movie never really mentioned explicitly the connection between the weird guy who shot himself in lock up and the woman. Yeah, he knew about the maze-medallion so he must've been one of the kids kidnapped at an early age by the woman's husband?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:44 pm 

shouvince wrote:
I watched 'Prisoners' and boy was it intense! It was slow-paced but every moment seemed so real and absorbing. Definitely one of the better crime/thriller movies made in the last couple of years.

It was so freaking good, I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before seeing it. It did drag on a little long and some parts were completely unnecessary but the combination of Jake G and Hugh was perfect.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:42 am 

There's a commentary by Joe Bob Briggs on the DVD for I Spit On Your Grave, and it's an excellent commentary. The DVD is a must-get just based on that commentary, plus the movie is pretty good too.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:14 pm 

New UK Godzilla trailer. My god......it's more beutiful with each reveal. That bus scene might be one of the most iconic Godzilla scenes ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... zYEtymUvr8

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Prince of Darkness
If you want to watch a John Carpenter movie about a group of people living together and dealing with a threat they can't fully understand, stick with The Thing.

This review made me check this film out, and this was definitely not one of Carpenter's better works (although i did like that 'demonical antichrist forthcoming through the mirror-scene' that was going on at the end. Its weird, but I got the feeling that he basically made a big mashup of three of his best films; Halloween (characters one by one getting killed off serialkiller-style), The Thing (group of scientists in isolated isolation that face a threat they don't understand) and Assault at Precinct 13 (imminent threat in the form of multiple maniacal lunatics surrounding their 'base' and just waiting out there... )

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 am 

Here's another thing I didn't like about Prince of Darkness. I found it distracting that he cast two actors from Big Trouble in Little China. Now, maybe if PoD was entertaining enough on its own, I could have overlooked this. But any time those two guys were in the same scene (or in consecutive scenes) all I could think was "I'd rather be watching BTiLC."

IMO the best John Carpenter movies are BTiLC, Christine, The Thing, and maybe In the Mouth of Madness. I didn't really like Ghosts of Mars or Vampires (do his fans defend these?), and even some of his supposed classics like Halloween and Escape from New York didn't do much for me. Notable ones I haven't seen are Assault on Precinct 13 (though I saw the remake), The Fog, and Escape from LA.

I saw They Live, but I can't remember much other than the bubblegum line everybody quotes.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am 

Don't bother with Escape from LA. It's exactly the same movie as Escape from New York but in a different city.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:48 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
IMO the best John Carpenter movies are BTiLC, Christine, The Thing, and maybe In the Mouth of Madness. I didn't really like Ghosts of Mars or Vampires (do his fans defend these?), and even some of his supposed classics like Halloween and Escape from New York didn't do much for me. Notable ones I haven't seen are Assault on Precinct 13 (though I saw the remake), The Fog, and Escape from LA.

I saw They Live, but I can't remember much other than the bubblegum line everybody quotes.

I like the atmosphere and gloomy nature of Ghosts Of Mars, but it is not, by any means, a great movie (chrome-ass dubble machine guns!!!). I think John Carpenter does interesting things with atmosphere even if plot/characters/whatever aren't up to snuff. Also, you should like They Live if only because of the amazing fifteen-minute fight scene.

"Put ON. THE GLASSES!"

*goes for the low-blow* "Oh, you dirty muthafucka!" :lol:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:02 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Don't bother with Escape from LA. It's exactly the same movie as Escape from New York but in a different city.

Both movies have their chills and thrills. Both are good movies. I love John Carpenter. If we ignore Memoirs of an Invisible Man, I can find worth in all of his movies pre-Ghosts of Mars (that movie is awful in every way). Vampires is a lot of fun, and has James Woods playing the perfect sleazeball vampire hunter. They Live is, of course one of the best movies ever, and both The Thing and Halloween usually battle for "favourite horror film" in many people's minds. The Fog is kind of a mess in some ways, but is has thick atmosphere and is fun to lose yourself in. The soundtracks to his movies help a lot with that. Assault on Precinct 13 is...okay. You won't lose anything by not watching it, but if you're interested in Carpenter's beginnings, it's worth a gander.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:35 pm 

Can you recommend me some documentaries about history of civilization? You know, about egyptians, vikings, persians, barbaric tribes, anything like that?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:26 am 

Apparently, Raid 2 is out in certain places. Official date says March 28th.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2265171/

So far the reviews says that it lives up to the standards of the first movie. This is gonna be so badass if that is true.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:45 am 

shouvince wrote:
Apparently, Raid 2 is out in certain places. Official date says March 28th.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2265171/

So far the reviews says that it lives up to the standards of the first movie. This is gonna be so badass if that is true.

The director said he wanted to outdo the first and of the few reviews Ive read, he does it. I do find it funny how Stallone said he wanted Expendables 3 to outdo The Raid, when the first two weren't even half of what the first was. That overrated pussy Chuck Norris refused an R rating, which led to cgi blood and no language.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:29 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Both movies have their chills and thrills. Both are good movies. I love John Carpenter. If we ignore Memoirs of an Invisible Man, I can find worth in all of his movies pre-Ghosts of Mars (that movie is awful in every way). Vampires is a lot of fun, and has James Woods playing the perfect sleazeball vampire hunter. They Live is, of course one of the best movies ever, and both The Thing and Halloween usually battle for "favourite horror film" in many people's minds. The Fog is kind of a mess in some ways, but is has thick atmosphere and is fun to lose yourself in. The soundtracks to his movies help a lot with that. Assault on Precinct 13 is...okay. You won't lose anything by not watching it, but if you're interested in Carpenter's beginnings, it's worth a gander.

I'm really conflicted on Carpenter. On one hand he's been involved in two sub-genre defining films that remain some of the best horror movies of all time in Halloween and The Thing (Slasher and Scifi/Horror respectively.) The Thing is my favorite horror movie of all time and there's some killer stuff in his filmography... Big Trouble, The Fog ('80), Christine, They Live, both Escape movies, Vampires, In the Mouth of Madness). On the other hand he's done some REALLY shitty movies... and going so far as to remake your own work, that just stinks. It's a shame, he obviously has talent and has the ability to create killer atmosphere and quality films... just kinda seems like he's run out of ideas/inspiration, and anyone who is perpetuating the remake fad is pretty much dead to me.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:47 am 

The Ward proves Carpenter still has it. That's a kick ass movie.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:11 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Ward proves Carpenter still has it. That's a kick ass movie.

Is it? The trailer looked like dog shit. Nothing about it seemed even remotely intriguing and the whole premise just seems like the same generic horseshit with some dumb ghost thing and a bunch of jump scares.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 pm 

It's a fine movie. See it for yourself, it's really quite entertaining.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:16 pm 

I completely forgot about The Raid 2. Goddamn, opening day I'll be in the theater, ready as fuck, like a wet girl ready to bounce on a plumped hot dog.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:06 am 

Deadfall (1993) - This is a pretty bad movie that I would otherwise not care about, but it has Nicolas Cage in a supporting role, giving the performance of his life. Is it worth watching a 100 minute movie that will bore you whenever Cage is offscreen? Especially when you can just go to Youtube and search "nicolas cage losing his shit" or "nicolas cage deadfall" and see most of the best parts for free? Tough call.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers - I told myself I wouldn't watch these, but I needed a backup disc in case Netflix didn't send me that new AIDS flick. I liked it better than Halloween 2, mainly because Danielle Harris is awesome. The movie was still pretty bland overall though, and the "shocking" ending didn't really feel earned or justified in any way.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:14 pm 

On point with Deadfall. Laughable at best and completely unwatchable at worst when Cage is offscreen.

The Straight Story - 4.5/5

Rather out of character for David Lynch - a straightforward, warm drama based on the real-life tale of an elderly man who traveled a long way on a lawnmower to see his brother, who had a stroke. Richard Farnsworth is magnificent in the lead - funny but also tragic, he will break your heart one scene and make you laugh the next. Sissy Spacek brings a lot of heart whenever she's on screen too. This was just a really enjoyable, touching movie. There were a lot of memorable scenes and the blue-collar kind of drama in the dialogue made it really relatable - it's a film about not missing chances and making amends in your life when it counts. It's simplistic, but there's a lot to like here in the conversations main character Alvin has along his journey as he reveals parts of his past. I actually like this a little better than anything I've seen of Lynch's except Mulholland Dr. Good flick - go see it.

raph77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:24 pm 

Jacob's ladder : the best movie ever

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:38 am 

Subrick wrote:

Pretty much except worse. Snake surfing is when that movie completely lost me.

By the way, anyone else here besides me catch the reference to Escape From New York in The Simpsons Movie?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 am 

I watched 'Her' yesterday.

I think some of you here would be familiar with the Daisy chatbot from the 90s. At that point when I was a kid, I thought Daisy was pretty cool and perhaps at times, my prepubescent mind would dream of her being an actual person. That's a glimpse of the background and my expectations before starting this movie. "Her" was fairly enjoyable and I must say, I've never seen a better Joaquin role before this. This was a calming and more emotive performance and he did a good job. All the characters are likeable too. With regards to Samantha, the OS, many things seemed quite surreal. But I guess, once you can grasp the nature of how things unfold initially, her AI and her almost human-like adaptive nature, things fall into place. Plot-wise, there's nothing starkly unexpected. A sci-fi-romcom is what best describes it.

Rating: 8.5/10

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:21 am 

The trailer has been released for the upcoming Xmen movie. Looks pretty awesome as expected, and thankfully it doesn't appear to be another movie all about Wolverine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acRHWnfZAE

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:28 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers - I told myself I wouldn't watch these, but I needed a backup disc in case Netflix didn't send me that new AIDS flick. I liked it better than Halloween 2, mainly because Danielle Harris is awesome. The movie was still pretty bland overall though, and the "shocking" ending didn't really feel earned or justified in any way.

I love Danielle Harris too! I don't know about Halloween 4 though...it isn't horrible, and I put it on par with part 2 more or less. 5 is the real shit sundae, so brace yourself for that one if you haven't seen it yet. Hell, I liked the incoherent mess of The Curse of Michael Myers better than that one....
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 am 

Halloween 4 and 5 are alright, better than the awful 6 or 8 - but really none of the sequels are worth watching exactly.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:01 pm 

6, 7, and 8 are all increasingly greater levels of shit, with 8 in particular being one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's astounding how the excellent original/crappy sequels thing went for Halloween. Of the three big slasher franchises (this, Friday the 13th, and A Nightmare on Elm Street), Halloween absolutely suffered the worst.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:18 pm 

Frankly I have a weird soft spot for Halloween 5. Sure the acting blows and there's shit the Myers house looking totally different, but there's still something about it. I always thought it had a sense of dread to it, with young characters in serious peril, and the photography had deep shadows to it, which I liked. A bad movie sure, but a creepy bad movie. But yeah 6, 7 and 8 all blew.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 pm 

Also, Halloween 3 was really good. Certainly a better movie than anything in the series between 4 and 8.

When it comes to the Rob Zombie movies, the remake I enjoyed quite a bit. The sequel on the other hand? No thanks.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:39 pm 

3 has it's charms. Certainly doesn't entirely deserve the abhorrent reputation it has received.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:26 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
but really none of the sequels are worth watching exactly.

Yep, I just stick with 1 and 2, although I actually like the third movie and watch it most Halloweens but that can't be considered a sequel. I personally think they weren't adventurous enough with the sequels and tried to simply duplicate the original while throwing in some gimmick to seem new. Oh look Big Brother meets Michael Myers, I wonder what wacky hijinks they'll get up to. That's why I think H20 was probably the best since the first sequel, because they took away the whole landscape of the original house and neighbouring suburban houses, set it in a college with multiple relatable characters while also providing a not so predictable turn of events with it's final act. Some it is cliche and some of it catered to the Scream trend of self-referential horror movies, but despite all that it holds up quite well compared to the blandness of what came before and after.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:37 pm 

H2O really wasn't too bad at all. I agree it was way better than those before it. It was a pretty average slasher, but it at least held its own and didn't try to shoehorn in garbage plots like 4-6 and 8 did.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:23 pm 

Scream has not held up over time at ALL. Most of these "self aware" horror movies don't age that well. Two of the only types of those horror movies I've seen that are just as good now as they were when I first watched them are The Cabin in the Woods and Wes Craven's New Nightmare. Helps greatly that both of those movies are more than just referencing other movies like the Scream series is.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:18 am 

I rented Rob Zombie's Halloween II last night. I thought the first one was one of the better re-makes of all these horror franchises being remade in the last decade or so. But this follow-up he did to it, well it was a very nice try to bring something fresh to the series since he had more of a free hand in making this one but it just came off as silly, predictable and heavy handed i.e. the excessive ghost/dream sequences which was something like a homage to Tim Burton and Friday the 13th. Rob Zombie certainly has proven he has cinematic talent behind the camera because there are a lot of awesome visual flourishes and great tension here and with the first film. I think he just needs to work on his story and screenwriting skills. Michael Myers is supposed to be the boogeyman lurking in any shadow. Giving him any sort of depth of character and showing him wander like a hobo kills the horror.

Last edited by marktheviktor on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 am 

Subrick wrote:
Scream has not held up over time at ALL. Most of these "self aware" horror movies don't age that well. Two of the only types of those horror movies I've seen that are just as good now as they were when I first watched them are The Cabin in the Woods and Wes Craven's New Nightmare. Helps greatly that both of those movies are more than just referencing other movies like the Scream series is.
H20 isn't self aware to the extent it cracks jokes throughout, but the characters are more grounded in reality and sometimes poke fun at their surroundings, as everyday people do. I think it shares more in common with New Nightmare than Scream, although obviously not as good. New Nightmare successfully made Freddy Krueger scary again, which after him being reduced to coining sigh-worthy one-liners, was by no means an easy feat. I think The Faculty and Urban Legend share the strongest comparison in tone to Scream.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:27 am 

New Nightmare is solid.

Watched Tremors 2 last night for the first time in years. Forgot just how awful the acting is, awful in a bad way, not an endearing way like Troll 2. Fred Ward is painful to watch and Chris Garten as the "goofy sidekick" is just as bad. Really the only character that isn't totally atrocious is Michael Gross. I remembered liking the evolution aspect of it but the walkers are just such a huge step down in radness from the worms I just couldn't bring myself to give a fuck after the change happened. The practical effects are still good in spots. The worms still look gross and the "birth" scene manages to capture some good atmosphere that the rest of the movie totally lacks (despite the awful dialogue doing everything in it's power to counteract it) but it's all truly down hill after that. I had forgotten that this was after the advent of CGI and it surprisingly doesn't look like total dog shit and is used sparingly but the walkers just suck so it doesn't even matter. Not to mention the absolutely gaping plot hole in that the worms were coming through houses to try and devour the protagonists and ATE A WHOLE FUCKING STATION WAGON in the original and are able to detect vibrations as light as footsteps and an RC car driving around... but they just magically forget where Earl and Grady's truck is once it stops and leave them alone to blast them with dynamite one by one.

I like shitty horror movies but this was shitty in all the wrong ways. The original still rules though.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:39 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
New Nightmare successfully made Freddy Krueger scary again

For most of the movie, yes, but then it made the odd choice to go goofy again at the end, with that infinitely long tongue gag.

Still a decent entry in the series though. Of course there was nowhere to go but up after the abysmal Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:13 am 

Well even the first movie had a little goofiness to some of Freddy's actions, particularly the phone turning into his tongue.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:04 pm 

So I watched You're Next. Sorry, darkeningday, but I'm right in the middle with this one. It didn't have enough tits or even good gore to work well as a fun, throwback slasher/home invasion movie (I'm guessing the budget on this was really low?), the first half-hour was pretty annoying (was the actively bad dialogue and cliches on purpose? Is this trying to be meta?) , and none of the meat bar that survivalist chick (which was a nice twist, I'll admit) was memorable in any way. I'm glad Barbara Crampton's character died so early because she was shrill and irritating. That said, the atmosphere was decent enough in parts, the masks looked creepy, I liked the touch they added of killing the only neighbours (the scene where one of the girls tries to go get help, gets killed, and then the song on the stereo restarts for the umpteenth time is great), and the final girl sequence was the best case scenario for this movie. All in all it's a movie about bad things happening to bad people and it's hard to care enough to praise or condemn it. 5/10

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466 ... 818  Next