Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Curwen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:25 am 

I noticed this one is listed as two bands while it is the same band.

The tracks on the Watership Down demo are the same tracks that were featured on the Apocalypse compilation album.

They used the name "Watership Down" when promoting themselves abroad in those days.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 am 

Yeah, so? The relation is in the band description. If the names differ significantly and both versions fulfill our criteria there'll be two separate pages. You'll find thousands such cases in the database.

EDIT: Ah, I slightly misunderstood your post. Might be we should merge the pages, but the current info entered suggests they used one name and then the other? The moderator Helvede added Watership Down, let's see what he has to say.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:45 pm 

Hmm... What exactly do you mean with "They used the name "Watership Down" when promoting themselves abroad in those days."?

Did the band use both names at the same time, like the Turkish Pentagram?

Or did they merely change their name after the first demo?

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:25 pm 

To me it looks like they were called Watership Down to begin with, then changed name and re-released the Watership Down demotracks on that split-cd, but under current name. I see nothing that suggests the band was called Strigaskór nr. 42 all along (any source for that?), and I doubt Watership Down is a direct translation for international matters (like the case with Turkish Pentagram), because it doesn't mean the same thing, right?

Going by a post at their facebook (no, I don't speak Icelandic, but other Nordic language), they're excited to see their old demo on ebay from when they were called Watership Down, and those tracks ended up on the split cd:
Skemmtilegt frá því að segja að hér fannst á eBay.com kassetta sem við gáfum út 1992 undir nafninu Watership Down. En þetta er sama efni og fór á safnplötuna Apocalypse.

I see this as a legitime case of two entries needed, when said demo was originally released as Watership Down (if that indeed is the case, but I think facebook supports that). If Strigaskór nr. 42's only release had been that split cd, they would probably not have had an entry here.

That was what I went by when I added them. I might be wrong, but then I guess only the band can share light on this.

Curwen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:14 pm 

Helvede - Here's how I think this went down. My source is myself, I began listening to Death Metal in 1990, picked up all the releases when they were released and know that the demo came after the compilation.

Strigaskór Nr. 42 form
Strigaskór Nr. 42 compete in battle of the bands (Sororicide, then called Infusoria, win)
Strigaskór Nr. 42 playes a helluva a lot of shows
Strigaskór Nr. 42 records three tracks for the Icelandic Death Metal compilation "Apocalypse"
Strigaskór Nr. 42 decide to do like Sororicide, which is to take the tracks that were recorded for "Apocalypse", and release them on cassette
Strigaskór Nr. 42 perhaps think that nobody would by a demo from a band called Sneakers number 42 and therefore choose a title of a novel for the band name (It was common practice for Icelandic bands to choose English names when trying to market themselves outside of Iceland)

Edit: I did a quick dig and I found a pic of the band from 1990 when they competed for the first time in Iceland's battle of the bands, it is from 1990, and I think it proves my case.
I'm not trying to be a smartass here or anything of the sort, I just wanted to clear up some information that wasn't correct.

Curwen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:38 pm 

Cursarion wrote:
Hmm... What exactly do you mean with "They used the name "Watership Down" when promoting themselves abroad in those days."?

Did the band use both names at the same time, like the Turkish Pentagram?

Yeah, that's what I mean.

In any case, I sent a line to the band, I hope they can clear it up for us.

Curwen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:50 pm 

I sent the band a question about this, this is the reply I got. I trust you will update the page of Strigaskór Nr. 42 and delete Watership Down's one.

Question: Why did you release your demo, many years ago, under the name Watership Down and did you use that name on any other occasions?

Answer: We can hardly remember why, maybe part of it was just to find less childish name than Strigaskór nr. 42 (Sneakers no. 42). But actually think the main reason was that the record label didn´t give us permission to release these songs (from compilation album Apocalypse), so we decided to use different name so they wouldn´t find out! and no, never used that name again.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:33 pm 

Why would we delete it? The answer they gave clearly states they released this under the Watership Down name.

Curwen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:44 am 

theunrelentingattack wrote:
Why would we delete it? The answer they gave clearly states they released this under the Watership Down name.

Well, I was under the assumption that the profiles on The Metal Archives were band profiles and because of that I think Watership Down should not be noted as a separate band. It wasn't a band, they only used the name because of copyright problems, and it was never used before or again. They never performed under it. All in all the Watership Down profile is incorrect, put on here because of misunderstanding of sorts, and therefore I think it should be deleted and the release put under Strigaskór Nr. 42 with the additional notes that it was released under the name Watership Down because of the reasons already listed before.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:03 pm 

Yeah, seems like it would be better to merge the pages and simply keep Watership Down in the alt. spelling field. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:20 am 

Entries merged, thanks.

Curwen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:05 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Entries merged, thanks.

Great to see. Thank you.

Reply to topic