* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:02 pm 

Manilla Road - Out Of The Abyss

Glorious album

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:04 pm 

Spoiler: show
Dudemanguy wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
Strings and some electronic arrangements I like (but in small doses). Personally, I want to see power metal with a lot of electronic elements - like recent Blood Stain Child gone power metal. I've heard some doujin stuff do that though. There is some Russian band called Hammerforce that does this, but I thought they sucked.

That'd either be really cool or really cheesy. I'm not sure which one.

Dome doujin stuff like Vice Principal I found pretty neat. Mind you, that song is closer to melodeath than power metal - they need to crank the electro elements more though. オレオレウサギ is another one on the right track here too. Stylistically, they're all over the place. Satanic A La Mode is another one that throws electronic (and other) elements in, and it works out well, oddly enough. How come all doujin seems to be female-fronted?

[edit] Playing that Vice Principal now, not really electronic sounding. Not sure what I've been smoking haha The overall album has some electronic elements though (namely track #4 "Timeless Encode").

Quote:
My experience has also been pretty positive. Mostly blinding buying things, dropping a lot of money on an album relative to western CDs, but it's been worth it. Japanese people really seem to do power metal a lot better than everyone else. I've also been getting into their post rock scene at the same time and it's really good too and a lot better than other stuff I've heard.

My experiences has been quite positive too. Sure there's the occasional half-baked debut, but that happens everywhere. Japan's the only country that's making power metal that I enjoy these days (Europe dried up years ago). Another thing - most of these bands will continue to improve too. Their scene seems to facilitate growth too (ie, tons of lives, supportive fans, etc)

I probably should delve more into their progressive scene sometime.

Quote:
I'll keep those sites in mind, thanks. I personally find the language barrier thing funny. For me, I had a mild aversion to non-English-lyric bands, but then I thought to myself, “well, I listen to harsh vocals like it's no problem, so what's wrong with clean vocals in another language?” And there you go. I know a guy who is decently into metal at work, and he generally likes the stuff I play, but he can't really get into any of the foreign language stuff. I guess it really is a big deal for some people.

I just found it a barrier, but I eventually overcame it. Before this, the only non-English bands I ever listened to were black and folk metal. With Japanese stuff, I think I focus more on tone/vocal lines now - I don't even pay attention to lyrics.

Quote:
My general plan is to slowly obtain Gargoyle's and Galneryus's discography over the next few months. Hopefully, I won't get sidetracked too badly.

I got side-tracked badly with Galneryus (I wanted this done late August), but I'm finally getting that taken care of. Anthem and Inugami Circus-Dan are the next bands with lots of CDs I'm considering tackling next.

Quote:
Yeah, they make a lot of weird shit over there. (Sigh being one of the reigning champions obviously). I've been drawn to a lot of that kind of music as well. There are really some sounds that only Japanese people are going to do.

The other two things that impressed me are: 1) Being able to take seemingly incompatible ingredients and making it work 2) Taking ingredients that I hate and making it something I like. There's plenty of Japanese bands I like where a western band would do something similar and I'd hate it. Like, Blood Stain Child's "Epsilon" I like a lot and I absolutely detest Amaranthe.

Quote:
Quote:
"Chronostrings" I can't wait for (my next uber-priority). The album cover is really neat. Then again, I like power metal album covers over there a lot more than the crap over here.

That is a pretty badass cover isn't it?

Indeed, I'd almost buy it for that alone haha I can't remember if I linked this or not, but here's a PV snippet. Bouncy as hell, and it unfortunately stops once it starts getting into some neoclassical goodness.

Quote:
Yeah, those fills are pretty fucking sweet. One of the few times where you can ignore the guitar solo and air drum instead. :lol:

As funny as it sounds, the drumming was one of the first things that leaped out at me with Galneryus. Shred guitar I'm quite used to, but most power metal drummers kinda suck.

After that MinstreliX, the next big title for me is Mahatma "Re:Generation". They're a "related" band to Light Bringer (I think Hibiki does session bass on this album). They're a weird mix of prog rock and J-pop. Not really metal though (even though they have elements of that). They're probably closer to Art of Gradation in sound than Light Bringer. Still excellent, nonetheless. Actually Art of Gradation I wouldn't be shocked if they have a new album this year too. Their guitarist posted a couple instrumental/demo versions of new songs on their youtube channel.

Vice Principal "Paladice Shift"

Probably my favorite doujin power metal album, at the moment.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:22 pm 

Morbid Angel - Summoning Redemption

I'm not much of an MA fan, but this rules. I like how the guitar soloing really takes the song to the next level, instead of feeling shoved in there for no reason.

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:42 pm 

Followed up Blood Fire Death with more Bathory, Blood on Ice and Twilight of the Gods-- and then onto Jean Sibelius' music for "The Tempest".

Sibelius was a Finnish composer (and if you're a musician, the namesake of the now-defunct music notation program), but not a particularly experimental one. His music definitely evokes the cold stillness of Scandanavia, and sometimes the pretty, perhaps "pagan" simple side as well. I doubt he was pagan, but there might be something in the air there. Anyway, didn't seem that out of place after all the viking metal.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:17 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Dome doujin stuff like Vice Principal I found pretty neat. Mind you, that song is closer to melodeath than power metal - they need to crank the electro elements more though. オレオレウサギ is another one on the right track here too. Stylistically, they're all over the place. Satanic A La Mode is another one that throws electronic (and other) elements in, and it works out well, oddly enough. How come all doujin seems to be female-fronted?

[edit] Playing that Vice Principal now, not really electronic sounding. Not sure what I've been smoking haha The overall album has some electronic elements though (namely track #4 "Timeless Encode").

I never could really get into any of the doujin stuff. I dunno; it's never really clicked for me. Not that it's bad, but my attention just isn't grabbed. I'd imagine most doujin is female-fronted because the audience probably has a significant amount of otaku (not that I mean anything bad about that. I'm just saying). You know, given the association with video games and anime and stuff like that.

Quote:
My experiences has been quite positive too. Sure there's the occasional half-baked debut, but that happens everywhere. Japan's the only country that's making power metal that I enjoy these days (Europe dried up years ago). Another thing - most of these bands will continue to improve too. Their scene seems to facilitate growth too (ie, tons of lives, supportive fans, etc)

I probably should delve more into their progressive scene sometime.

Yeah, European power metal is mostly meaninglessly to me too. If I want good power metal, I turn to Japan first. Maybe it's a result of the culture of “cute things” over there, but they really know how to make hypermelodic, poppy stuff sound really good. Western power metal bands inserting pop-influence into their songs usually results in disaster. But Japanese people putting jpop into their metal works out really well a lot of the time. I know it's a horribly unfair comparision, but you compare Light Bringer to say Skylark and the difference in quality is pretty obvious.

Dunno if you ever heard of Gonin-ish, but they play some pretty wacky extreme progressive metal. It's really brilliant. Give it a listen if you haven't. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh7pKvpU3Q4

Quote:
I just found it a barrier, but I eventually overcame it. Before this, the only non-English bands I ever listened to were black and folk metal. With Japanese stuff, I think I focus more on tone/vocal lines now - I don't even pay attention to lyrics.

I've stopped paying attention to lyrics eons ago, so I'm pretty sure that helped me out in that regard. :lol:

Quote:
I got side-tracked badly with Galneryus (I wanted this done late August), but I'm finally getting that taken care of. Anthem and Inugami Circus-Dan are the next bands with lots of CDs I'm considering tackling next.

I've already got two gargoyle albums on the way. Waiting eagerly for my next paycheck to drop some more cash on some more stuff. I'm normally way more frugal, but eh, it's okay to splurge every now and then right?

Quote:
The other two things that impressed me are: 1) Being able to take seemingly incompatible ingredients and making it work 2) Taking ingredients that I hate and making it something I like. There's plenty of Japanese bands I like where a western band would do something similar and I'd hate it. Like, Blood Stain Child's "Epsilon" I like a lot and I absolutely detest Amaranthe.

Oh man, western versions of Blood Stain Child would all be some sort of bad metalcore/trance abomination. Yeah, I can agree with you those two points for sure. The one metalcore band I like (Deluhi) is Japanese.

Quote:
Indeed, I'd almost buy it for that alone haha I can't remember if I linked this or not, but here's a PV snippet. Bouncy as hell, and it unfortunately stops once it starts getting into some neoclassical goodness.

I've been hunting down a bit of their earlier stuff and do you know if they had a different vocalist for the first couple of albums? The tracks I've heard sound like female vocals singing in mostly pretty good English. It was good and surprising.

Quote:
As funny as it sounds, the drumming was one of the first things that leaped out at me with Galneryus. Shred guitar I'm quite used to, but most power metal drummers kinda suck.

Constant double bass blasting seems to be the norm unfortunately. It did take me a while to realize how good Galneryus's drumming was though. It is a really nice touch. I also really like Versailles's drumming as well. It's a different style, but plenty of fills to be found.

Quote:
After that MinstreliX, the next big title for me is Mahatma "Re:Generation". They're a "related" band to Light Bringer (I think Hibiki does session bass on this album). They're a weird mix of prog rock and J-pop. Not really metal though (even though they have elements of that). They're probably closer to Art of Gradation in sound than Light Bringer. Still excellent, nonetheless. Actually Art of Gradation I wouldn't be shocked if they have a new album this year too. Their guitarist posted a couple instrumental/demo versions of new songs on their youtube channel.

Sounds pretty interesting. I'll look into it.

NP: Obscurcis Romancia – In Memoriam

Bought this album on a whim, but it was worth it. It's pretty good although I suppose I don't listen to it nearly enough as I should. Great symphonic black metal though.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:51 am 

Myrkskog - Deathmachine

Delightfully cryptic, yet unrefined.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:28 am 

Lumsk - Nøkken

What ever happened to this band? They moved in a non metal direction which I still loved but there has been no news on them in years
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

onorato73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:26 am 

Pungent Stench - Been Caught Buttering

Enjoying my day off.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:24 pm 

Darkthrone - The Hordes of Nebulah

The Swords of Time are pointing at our hearts
The grass here seems raped
As we face eternal misery

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:02 pm 

I'm not that big into hip-hop, but this album is incredible. Jazzy samples are always a good way to go.

Rainbow Demon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:41 pm 

Peste Noire- Casse, Pêches, Fractures et Traditions

I don't understand French but I like just about everything about this song.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:48 pm 

Nice to see Quest mentioned here :nods:

Venenum - Lunar Tombfields
What a stellar death metal EP! These guys should get to work on a full length now.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:32 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
I never could really get into any of the doujin stuff. I dunno; it's never really clicked for me. Not that it's bad, but my attention just isn't grabbed. I'd imagine most doujin is female-fronted because the audience probably has a significant amount of otaku (not that I mean anything bad about that. I'm just saying). You know, given the association with video games and anime and stuff like that.

I think girls are into that stuff as much as the guys over there. I find with doujin it was natural for me to get into that since a lot of it is related to many of the power metal bands I listen to (eg, Light Bringer, MinstreliX, Knights of Round, Lightning, etc). Hell, even Yama-B is into that stuff bigtime too (I think one of Galneruys' ex-bassists is as well). Not sure how much of Iron Attack!'s stuff you've listened to, but he did vocals on a few. If you haven't heard Heaven's Sword, give that a whirl. Hell, I think I liked the solo almost as much as Yama-B's vocals.

Quote:
Yeah, European power metal is mostly meaninglessly to me too. If I want good power metal, I turn to Japan first. Maybe it's a result of the culture of “cute things” over there, but they really know how to make hypermelodic, poppy stuff sound really good. Western power metal bands inserting pop-influence into their songs usually results in disaster. But Japanese people putting jpop into their metal works out really well a lot of the time.

I honestly can't think of too many (recent) Euro power metal bands that can use pop hooks without sounding like crap. A lot of the 90s ones got away with it though (mind you, a lot of those bands inspired many of the Japanese bands I'm listening to right now). Its a nasty think to say, but I think the biggest problem with Euro-power metal these days is just a flat-out lack of talent. Of course I'm a bit bitter because bands which I felt had talent ended up breaking up. I guess I completely bailed on Euro-power metal due to being unable to find any new album where I could get past one to two songs without deleting it due to sheer boredom. I still support the old existing bands who I always have, but no more new bands. Also, I ran into so many Japanese bands I like I'm pretty much forced to specialize now.

Quote:
I know it's a horribly unfair comparison, but you compare Light Bringer to say Skylark and the difference in quality is pretty obvious.

Indeed haha Or worse, Wonderland. Dear god that band sucks. Italy has been epic fail for power metal over the last decade or so. One thing I find disturbing: why on earth is Skylark actually popular in Japan? It makes no sense to me whatsoever :lol:

Quote:
Dunno if you ever heard of Gonin-ish, but they play some pretty wacky extreme progressive metal. It's really brilliant. Give it a listen if you haven't. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh7pKvpU3Q4

I own their second album (Japanese pressing, actually) - great stuff. I wish they'd reissue their debut and make a 3rd album. I think they may be recording, dunno. They're still alive and kicking, thankfully.

Quote:
I've already got two gargoyle albums on the way. Waiting eagerly for my next paycheck to drop some more cash on some more stuff. I'm normally way more frugal, but eh, it's okay to splurge every now and then right?

Indeed hehe I'm actually glad I quit drinking and smoking a few years ago, that's certainly helping out here. Also, I barely buy international titles anymore (and if I do, I get the Japanese pressing like the pedantic jackass I am haha). Mind you, I should, there's a few titles like Slough Feg and Anubis Gate I need to get.

Quote:
Oh man, western versions of Blood Stain Child would all be some sort of bad metalcore/trance abomination. Yeah, I can agree with you those two points for sure. The one metalcore band I like (Deluhi) is Japanese.

I normally avoid metalcore like the plague, but some Japanese stuff actually ain't bad. Now, I can't quite pinpoint what they're doing right and what the US stuff is doing wrong. I guess by playing crap like that Arch Enemy replacement vocalist's old band posted in that Arch Enemy thread kinda reminded me why I avoid that stuff (god, its so forgettable I forgot their name along with their music :lol:).

Quote:
I've been hunting down a bit of their earlier stuff and do you know if they had a different vocalist for the first couple of albums? The tracks I've heard sound like female vocals singing in mostly pretty good English. It was good and surprising.

MinstreliX had a female vocalist named Lola on their first two albums. She eventually left and was replaced by Leo Figaro on that "Rose Funeral of Tragedy" EP. "Reflections" should be findable (and its a nice album too), but "Memoirs" is out of print and will cost an arm and a leg to get. I wish they'd reissue it.

Quote:
Quote:

Constant double bass blasting seems to be the norm unfortunately. It did take me a while to realize how good Galneryus's drumming was though. It is a really nice touch. I also really like Versailles's drumming as well. It's a different style, but plenty of fills to be found.

He's super fast too, when he wants to be. But there's a lot of variation in his drumming. I watched a Galneryus DVD last night (bonus DVD on one of those Ironheart comp thingies) and it was awesome. Yuhki and Syu's interplay is insane. They're also one of those bands that get better every time I listen to them. I find that a lot with most of the Japanese bands I listen to - I keep noticing more nuances and details.

Quote:
Sounds pretty interesting. I'll look into it.

Art of Gradation (as you may know by now) is Kazu (ex-Light Bringer)'s current band. No idea why Light Bringer lost half their band - they don't really seem like the type of people for major drama or anything. Could be a good chance they didn't like being on a major label or only wanted to do this part time. Remember, Light Bringer is essentially a top 30 band over there. I'm curious to see how well their next album does - Cyntia's latest cracked the top 10 (they previously charted as high as Light Bringer).

Vrain "Vaptism of Mars"

I think I'm slowly starting to prefer this to "Rendez Blue". Fucking strange album, only Japan could produce something like this. :P

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:23 pm 

Lagerstein - Beer Bong Song

It may be overly cheesy and smell of gimmick, but this band are awesome. Going to see them with Gloryhammer next month
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:02 pm 

Virtue - Fool's Gold demo

Classic NWOBHM, thank god for the reissue turning more people on to them.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:44 am 

Soulfly 'Fire' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ugCEVBu1Ts

Soulfly 'The Song Remains Insane' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OP4K6g-M0M

dedicated to myself celebrating my 39° birthday and 26 years in metal.

Strenght and determination. :headbang:

"You make it easy."

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:34 am 

Troum - Procession

Soldiers marching, mankind forever marching, unstoppable like a Triarii Legio - keeping formation and emerging virtually unscathed from the bloodiest battle

Last edited by mindshadow on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
onorato73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:15 pm 

Edge of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows

Perfection.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:29 pm 

Blasdead "The Past And The Future"

The music on this is pretty decent, but the vocals are rather annoying.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:31 pm 

Manilla Road - Mystification

Wicked slab of epic thrash

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:33 pm 

Darkthrone - Sardonic Wrath

Very similar in tone/production to Hate Them, though I have usually liked Hate Them more. Not exactly sure why, maybe HT a bit more "fun" (?) sounding, while SW is more pissed-off sounding -- and with fewer hooks. However, this era of Darkthrone feels underrated to me. Still very BM in the vocals and guitar tone, though the songs are punkier, and more straightforward than the band's early-90s classic era. However, when I compare the way HT and SW sound to the way, say, Underground Resistance sounds, they seem A LOT more edgy.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:47 pm 

Bravely Default OST - Serpent Eating the Ground

Now that's how you do a final boss theme.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:36 am 

Rainbow - Temple of the King

Spun the first Rainbow quite alot lately.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:43 am 

Suidakra - Forth Clyde

One of my favorite melodeath/folk bands out there. Arkadius is such a swell guy too.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:48 am 

Fortgang from (2002) Empyrium - Weiland.
I was intending to listen to some Empyrium yesterday but I realized I lost all their music with my HDD crash. Fixed.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:26 pm 

Manilla Road - The Deluge

Short and sweet.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:18 pm 

Oranssi Pazuzu - Myöhempien aikojen pyhien teatterin rukoilijasirkka

Psychedelic/Spacey Black Metal with way too long track names!
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:54 pm 

Stygma IV - Greed Machine

Heavy riffs, vintage sounding keys and Dio-esque vocals - awesome power/prog.

Necrostalker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:21 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
Soulfly 'The Song Remains Insane' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OP4K6g-M0M

dedicated to myself celebrating my 39° birthday and 26 years in metal.

Strenght and determination. :headbang:

Nice one .

NP : "La Petite Fille de la Mer" by Vangelis in Piano.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:26 pm 

Cage The Elephant - Melophobia

A great album.

Rainbow Demon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:47 pm 

Kansas- Belexes

I really dig Kansas' first album.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:15 am 

Devin Townsend - Noisy Pink Bubbles

God, this is such a ridiculous song, but it's so goddamn incredible.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

onorato73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:07 am 

Spawn of Possession - Incurso

Fucking solid.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:22 am 

Tombs - Red Shadows

Sludgey but things are quite discernable. Atmospheric too.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:25 am 

Barathrum - Eerie

The used to be great Finnish bands back in the day. Diaboli, Black Crucifixion, Morningstar etc. And this just... eerie.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:35 am 

Bathory- I'm Only Sleeping

You haven't lived until you've heard Quorthon cover The Fab Four.

"everybody seems to think I'm leeezy"

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:32 am 

Epica - The Essence of Silence

Despite my recent interest in female fronted bands, Epica hasn't won me over yet. This new song is promising though.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:30 pm 

Scorpions - Catch Your Train, off Virgin Killer

Love the crazy, scream-your-head-off chorus this one has. So rockin'.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Epica - The Essence of Silence

Despite my recent interest in female fronted bands, Epica hasn't won me over yet. This new song is promising though.

Jansen finally got back the guitar bite. The latest Mayan and last Epica album had such pitiful guitar tones.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:29 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
I think girls are into that stuff as much as the guys over there. I find with doujin it was natural for me to get into that since a lot of it is related to many of the power metal bands I listen to (eg, Light Bringer, MinstreliX, Knights of Round, Lightning, etc). Hell, even Yama-B is into that stuff bigtime too (I think one of Galneruys' ex-bassists is as well). Not sure how much of Iron Attack!'s stuff you've listened to, but he did vocals on a few. If you haven't heard Heaven's Sword, give that a whirl. Hell, I think I liked the solo almost as much as Yama-B's vocals.

I suppose somebody would have to do a demographic study or something to be sure. Hmm, that track was pretty cool. It reminded me a little of demetori.

Quote:
I honestly can't think of too many (recent) Euro power metal bands that can use pop hooks without sounding like crap. A lot of the 90s ones got away with it though (mind you, a lot of those bands inspired many of the Japanese bands I'm listening to right now). Its a nasty think to say, but I think the biggest problem with Euro-power metal these days is just a flat-out lack of talent. Of course I'm a bit bitter because bands which I felt had talent ended up breaking up. I guess I completely bailed on Euro-power metal due to being unable to find any new album where I could get past one to two songs without deleting it due to sheer boredom. I still support the old existing bands who I always have, but no more new bands. Also, I ran into so many Japanese bands I like I'm pretty much forced to specialize now.

Haha, I guess I don't have really much to add here other than “I agree."

Quote:
Indeed haha Or worse, Wonderland. Dear god that band sucks. Italy has been epic fail for power metal over the last decade or so. One thing I find disturbing: why on earth is Skylark actually popular in Japan? It makes no sense to me whatsoever :lol:

Italy has indeed been a pretty miserable place for power metal. Skylark still existing after all these years is pretty disappointing.

Quote:
I own their second album (Japanese pressing, actually) - great stuff. I wish they'd reissue their debut and make a 3rd album. I think they may be recording, dunno. They're still alive and kicking, thankfully.

Yeah, a reissue and more material would be really nice. I'm cheap so I just have the Season of Mist version. Oh well.

Quote:
IIndeed hehe I'm actually glad I quit drinking and smoking a few years ago, that's certainly helping out here. Also, I barely buy international titles anymore (and if I do, I get the Japanese pressing like the pedantic jackass I am haha). Mind you, I should, there's a few titles like Slough Feg and Anubis Gate I need to get.

I'm too cheap to buy Japanese pressings. I'll just miss out on those bonus tracks like most of the world.

Quote:
I normally avoid metalcore like the plague, but some Japanese stuff actually ain't bad. Now, I can't quite pinpoint what they're doing right and what the US stuff is doing wrong. I guess by playing crap like that Arch Enemy replacement vocalist's old band posted in that Arch Enemy thread kinda reminded me why I avoid that stuff (god, its so forgettable I forgot their name along with their music :lol:).

I couldn't really tell you where it's going wrong either. I dunno; the music usually sounds like really bad melodeath (which I'm already not a huge fan of) with bad vocals. I'll be happy to miss out on that kind of stuff as well.

Quote:
MinstreliX had a female vocalist named Lola on their first two albums. She eventually left and was replaced by Leo Figaro on that "Rose Funeral of Tragedy" EP. "Reflections" should be findable (and its a nice album too), but "Memoirs" is out of print and will cost an arm and a leg to get. I wish they'd reissue it.

These independently released, out of print debut albums are killing me. Well, maybe some other time in the future then.

Quote:
He's super fast too, when he wants to be. But there's a lot of variation in his drumming. I watched a Galneryus DVD last night (bonus DVD on one of those Ironheart comp thingies) and it was awesome. Yuhki and Syu's interplay is insane. They're also one of those bands that get better every time I listen to them. I find that a lot with most of the Japanese bands I listen to - I keep noticing more nuances and details.

Oh man, I keep noticing new things too. The other day at work. I suddenly find new drumming patterns in Galneryus that I haven't heard before. It's pretty great how you can listen to this stuff for years and still find new things.

Quote:
Art of Gradation (as you may know by now) is Kazu (ex-Light Bringer)'s current band. No idea why Light Bringer lost half their band - they don't really seem like the type of people for major drama or anything. Could be a good chance they didn't like being on a major label or only wanted to do this part time. Remember, Light Bringer is essentially a top 30 band over there. I'm curious to see how well their next album does - Cyntia's latest cracked the top 10 (they previously charted as high as Light Bringer).

Oh wow, I didn't know they charted really high. That's pretty neat. Does this mean that Japanese people currently have the best taste in music on average? :lol: (Well there's still the Skylark thing though...)

NP: Kekal – Historicity & State Of Mind

I really like Kekal's metal stuff, but later on they went full, weird electronic which I'm not so much a fan of. And they aren't really a band anymore so I can't really complain. Anyways, this particular album is probably their last mostly metal (or at least 50% metal) release and it's pretty great. It's very unique and has a lot of cool melodies in it. This stuff is really hard to describe.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432, 1433, 1434 ... 2925  Next