Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
omikiron666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:38 am 

From Hour of Penance website.

Italian death metallists Hour Of Penance have announced the title of their new album -- "Regicide" -- which will be released on May 13 in N. America (May 12 in UK/EU, May 16 in Germany) via Prosthetic Records!

I can not wait for this. This will be in my top 10 this year, unless they add clean vox ;)
Every album of their discography crushes.
No album art or song titles yet but I am excited for this album. What's everyone's thoughts?

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:40 pm 

I just wish they'd nail down a stable lineup for more than two albums in a row. They have not a single member in common between their first and fifth albums.

I'll be looking forward to this, but nowhere near as much as I looked forward to Paradogma in 2010.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:44 am 

It'd be nice to actually hear guitars for a change...similar to Fleshgod Apocalypse and even the latest Immolation. All drums no guitars. :(

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:58 am 

I want to be stoked about this but feel somewhat lukewarm. The Vile Conception is amazing, and so is Paradogma, but to be honest: I haven't been able to listen to the whole of Sedition. Something with the production just ruins it. Sure, I will give the new one a shot, but they seriously need to do something with how they produce/mix it, otherwise I'll spend my hard earned cash on something else and call it quits with them.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:20 pm 

First Sargeist release a new album, then God Dethroned get back together, and now Hour of Penance puts out a new CD? It's almost like someone intended for 2013 to suck so hard only for 2014 to make up for everything beyond my wildest dreams.

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:11 pm 

I think they need more present guitars in their music, but the drumming is perfect to me. I would love to hear a combination of The Vile Conception and Sedition. I understand the Fleshgod Apocalypse reference too, but I would rather Hour of Penance stayed away from sounding like that.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:14 pm 

they just released a new song/lyric video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyULYsCHLOY

edit: album cover:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:15 pm 

I get the NWO vibe on the cover art, it's kind of tacky in an in-your-face kind of way but still pretty decent overall. What I don't get is why the album's called Regicide and has that cover art. Weird...

Anyhow, I'm very cautious about this album, since like someone said above this is like Vader sans Piotr, as in "whoever is in the band these days" kind of thing. I still have to pick up on Sedition as well, but by Jove I wish they do learn how to properly mix their albums once and for all!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:22 pm 

That song was pretty bad. Looks like this band went the Fleshgod Apocalypse way and squandered their talents. Shame.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 pm 

new song isn't too bad, similar sounding to sedition which was a definite step down from the two monsters that were the vile conception and paradogma, but will still check out the album, sure it'll be solid at the very least

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:15 am 

I like the new track. My instinct is it sounds closer to Paradogma than anything off Sedition did. It was quite repetitive, however. I felt like they could have cut a minute from the song and given it more impact.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:10 am 

androdion wrote:
I get the NWO vibe on the cover art, it's kind of tacky in an in-your-face kind of way but still pretty decent overall. What I don't get is why the album's called Regicide and has that cover art. Weird... (...)

Not so weird if you consider that Yeshua Ben Yussuf has got a sword in his back up on the podium.

I like the cover, and the song was better than anything I've heard from Sedition. Will check this album out when it's released.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:59 am 

matras wrote:
androdion wrote:
I get the NWO vibe on the cover art, it's kind of tacky in an in-your-face kind of way but still pretty decent overall. What I don't get is why the album's called Regicide and has that cover art. Weird... (...)

Not so weird if you consider that Yeshua Ben Yussuf has got a sword in his back up on the podium.

I like the cover, and the song was better than anything I've heard from Sedition. Will check this album out when it's released.

Good point. From where I am it seems like the cover art is meant to show that the Church killed their own god and controls the nation, hence the military, but then again the Church killed their god a long time ago. I get what they're trying to say but it sounds like something common sense could've told you. What I mean is, I understand the concept but I don't think it's very well delivered. It's also the third album in a row that features the "same" church as the background. That could have some variation as well.

New song is decent but unspectacular, and definitely sounds like HOP. It drags a bit though and I don't know just how much love I'm feeling for them vocals. I'll wait to see what the final product sounds like.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:53 am 

Yeah I get what you mean with the cover. I like it, but it's also a bit messy in how it's executed. There's a lot going on in the picture that perhaps doesn't translate well to the CD booklet format.

As for the song; yeah these youtube lyric videos usually just give a hint about the sound of the final product (given the medium), but song-wise I think it's a step up from anything I've heard from Sedition. As I said further up in the thread, the sound on that one just makes me want to tear my headphones off, so I haven't even been able to listen to it in one sitting.

Someone need to have a talk with the people responsible for production when it comes to a lot of new death metal records.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:57 pm 

That new song was alright, but why would I want to listen to something that's just alright? Think I'll go listen to The Vile Conception now.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:28 pm 

Not sure what to make of the new song, and that's not good. Sedition really did nothing for me, and Paradogma was simply okay. Artwork is pretty dumb as well. May have to skip this one.

_Prolific_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:37 am 

So what I've learned from this thread is that since The Vile Conception is perfect, everything they release afterwards is shit.

I really enjoyed Paradogma. Sedition didn't stand out much to me when it was first released, but it grew on me. I liked the new song, although I do agree with ENKC in that cutting a minute from it may have given the song more contextual impact.

As for the cover and lyrical concepts? One word; "theme".

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:40 pm 

Things we've learned from this thread: When a band releases their best album every other subsequent one will automatically be golden!

See what I did there?! Now, there's one thing called "theme" and another called execution. The final result depends on both, not just the first. And just so we're clear, Paradogma is a great album from a songwriting perspective but has a shitty production job. I want that warm tone on TVC back please.

_Prolific_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:53 pm 

androdion wrote:
Now, there's one thing called "theme" and another called execution. The final result depends on both, not just the first. And just so we're clear, Paradogma is a great album from a songwriting perspective but has a shitty production job. I want that warm tone on TVC back please.

This is a very good point, but you don't believe they're executing a conceived theme for the band itself well? Or just too similar to what they've already done while not improving on the "shitty" production job(s)?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:11 pm 

_Prolific_ wrote:
androdion wrote:
Now, there's one thing called "theme" and another called execution. The final result depends on both, not just the first. And just so we're clear, Paradogma is a great album from a songwriting perspective but has a shitty production job. I want that warm tone on TVC back please.

This is a very good point, but you don't believe they're executing a conceived theme for the band itself well? Or just too similar to what they've already done while not improving on the "shitty" production job(s)?

I think they's sticking to a theme without making enough significative changes to make a dent on me as a listener. It seems like a band on auto-pilot once it has a hit a certain point of comfort. Add to that the revolving door of members in and out and the spirit of what the band was a few years back seems to have been lost. Again, reeks auto-pilot, you know?!

I still think that Mauro Mercurio getting out, although inevitable due to his behaviour, was a great loss that the band never recovered from. Not only was he a great performer but I also think that he must've had a word when it came to the songwriting process. Or maybe it was just that he was immensely creative in his drum work and the rest of the band pushed the envelope further as well. Either way, I don't think they ever recovered from him getting out, and now who's still there that played in the beginning/mid-period?

Production-wise, in my view Paradogma was when they started going for a strange mix that has a very harsh and dry tone in the guitars and that is completely "in your face". The thing is that the end result comes out a bit like an indiscernible mess when they speed things up into hyperdrive mode. So yeah, I'd like to have that meaty warm tone found on TVC back please.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:22 pm 

I'm curious how the new album will sound. I really liked TVC and Paradogma. Sedition was good too but I liked the previous works better. Hopefully this will be mixed better so the guitars will be heard better.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:57 pm 

This new song is pretty decent but it didn't really grab me. I'd assume they think it's one of the better tracks but hopefully the album will be stronger, it's always worrying when the first song a band releases from a record is sort of ho-hum.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:56 am 

The new song sounds like a stripped down version of their good stuff from Paradogma and The Vile Conception, which follows the direction of their last album. I will wait until I hear the rest of the album to judge because I like their old stuff so much. I do however think the album artwork is great.

TheAntarctic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:19 pm 

One of my favorite bands. TVC is unreal, Paradogma was great, Sedition was good.

This song is disappointing. The riffwork has regressed from TVC, and now sounds like it was done by Fleshgod Apocalypse - the brutal, complex hooks have been replaced by hyper-overdriven power metal with blast beats. New vocals sound fine, and production seems better than all of their previous albums.

I really hope that they've decided to release their most commercialized, Fleshgod Apocalypse - sounding song in advance to attract new fans, and that the rest of the album is better than this.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:22 pm 

Well that was boring, bland blasting death metal.

Last.fm

PenguinShred
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:05 am 

New track sounded better than I expected. Honestly, Sedition was a huge letdown. It did end up growing on me. Anyone else miss Francesco Doing vocals ? He might possess the best dm voice ever. Very excited to hear what new drummer James Payne brings to the table, as he is ultra sick. I also miss Mauro playing drums, dude knew what was up.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:33 pm 

new album is streaming here

Reply to topic