Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:22 pm 

Anyone else play Guild Wars 2? How do you feel about the culmination of the Living World story? I had to betray my server and guest on Blackgate to actually complete that sadistic event, but I thought it was pretty neat in the end.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:28 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Johnny82 wrote:
Big SEGA fan. ... Saturn.

*bro-fist*

Never forget:

One of my all time favorite games. Despite owning the US version, I've given consideration to buying the European version because the packaging is so gorgeous.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:41 pm 

If there's any reason I'm not too inclined to get a Saturn, it's the money the stuff goes for. From what I'm told a lot of Saturn games are quite expensive

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:57 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
If there's any reason I'm not too inclined to get a Saturn, it's the money the stuff goes for. From what I'm told a lot of Saturn games are quite expensive

Well, it depends. A lot of the US games have ballooned in price but the worst you're usually looking at is in the $80 to $120 range. A lot of really great US stuff can be had for way cheaper. Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of the worst, now going for around $300, last I checked. The Japanese market is a lot more reasonable, though, and for a lot of the US games, getting the Japanese version is just as good but way cheaper. There are some more expensive Japanese releases; a lot of shmups go for as low as $30 or $40 to much higher.

Johnny82
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:59 pm 

VoidOfEternity wrote:
I'm also a collector and a big Sega fan. Though, I collect both US and JP Saturn releases. I have almost every noteworthy US game and a decent amount of shmups, fighters, etc. from Japan. I have most of the noteworthy US Dreamcast releases too, plus various post-mortem ones. Also collect for Genesis / Sega CD / 32X (what little there is to collect) and Sega Master System (among many other systems).

Awesome! Sounds like we similar taste. I went ahead and got all the rare and expensives DC titles out of the way years ago. I'm very proud of my library right now. There are still a lot of Saturn titles I need but they'll have to wait until my funds are more sufficient.

The last games I picked up were Zero Gunner 2 and Shikigami no Shiro II for Dreamcast. Both are top notch shmups and hella fun.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:12 pm 

Johnny82 wrote:
VoidOfEternity wrote:
I'm also a collector and a big Sega fan. Though, I collect both US and JP Saturn releases. I have almost every noteworthy US game and a decent amount of shmups, fighters, etc. from Japan. I have most of the noteworthy US Dreamcast releases too, plus various post-mortem ones. Also collect for Genesis / Sega CD / 32X (what little there is to collect) and Sega Master System (among many other systems).

Awesome! Sounds like we similar taste. I went ahead and got all the rare and expensives DC titles out of the way years ago. I'm very proud of my library right now. There are still a lot of Saturn titles I need but they'll have to wait until my funds are more sufficient.

The last games I picked up were Zero Gunner 2 and Shikigami no Shiro II for Dreamcast. Both are top notch shmups and hella fun.

Nice! The last Dreamcast game I picked up was NEO XYX, which I'm still waiting on, and before that, I think it was Gunbird 2. The last Saturn game I got was Three Dirty Dwarves. Last Sega CD game was Ecco the Dolphin, last Genesis game was Traysia, last Master System game was Golden Axe Warrior (been a while since I bought anything for the Master System).

Johnny82
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:09 pm 

VoidOfEternity wrote:
The last Dreamcast game I picked up was NEO XYX, which I'm still waiting on, and before that, I think it was Gunbird 2.

Sweet. Gunbird 2 is a good one by CAPCOM. I'll pick up NEO XYX soon. I have others I wanna pick up first. The one I'm really waiting for is Pier Solar HD. I haven't played a decent RPG in a long time, and it looks very promising.

I made a good trade recently. Last Hope (standard edition) for 4 Saturn games: Guardian Heroes, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes & Fighter's History Dynamite. I think it was a pretty good deal.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:00 pm 

Johnny82 wrote:
VoidOfEternity wrote:
The last Dreamcast game I picked up was NEO XYX, which I'm still waiting on, and before that, I think it was Gunbird 2.

Sweet. Gunbird 2 is a good one by CAPCOM. I'll pick up NEO XYX soon. I have others I wanna pick up first. The one I'm really waiting for is Pier Solar HD. I haven't played a decent RPG in a long time, and it looks very promising.

I made a good trade recently. Last Hope (standard edition) for 4 Saturn games: Guardian Heroes, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes & Fighter's History Dynamite. I think it was a pretty good deal.

I have Pier Solar HD preordered, but I also have the Genesis cartridge. It's pretty enjoyable from what I've played of it.

That is a solid deal. Even better if Guardian Heroes is a US copy.

Johnny82
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 am 

Cool. Can't wait to try it out.

All of the Saturn games are Japanese versions, which is all I collect.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:24 pm 

Jumping from a series Morri loves to a series Morri hates: finally getting around to Metal Gear Solid 4, five years after I planned on it. It's not that I lost interest in the series or anything, but I didn't have a PS3 when the game came out, and since then I avoided anything that mentioned the series since it's notorious for having a plotline that resembles a Spirograph and didn't want to accidentally spoil anything for me. So going a while without hearing anything about it just kinda sapped the anticipation I suppose, so I never really made it a point to get around to it until now. Only played a couple hours so far (which of course means 3 hours of cutscenes and 90 minutes of gameplay), but it's been so long since I've played anything in the series that I'm basically needing to relearn everything. This new radar system is woefully useless compared to the old Soliton Radar, and trying to be stealthy is a total pain in the ass since so far everything I've done has taken place in an active warzone. I'm sure it'll get to the kind of environments I'm used to eventually, but the start of this game has been so wildly different that it's just been kinda jarring. I will say that I absolutely HATED the big action sequence against the FROGS unit, because that's just not what this series is known for and it shows. The controls just aren't well suited to it and the guns were just useless half the time. Hopefully things like that aren't too commonplace. I got to pretty much exactly when that sequence ended, died a few times in the following area and just quit playing for the day. I work an obscene amount nowadays (if anybody's noticed that my forum presence has been scarce lately, that's why, I'm occupied 14 hours of the day), so I'll probably finish this in the summer of 2017, but the point is that I finally started.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:58 pm 

So I got my copy of Yoshi's New Island yesterday and welp, it's pretty much just the SNES and DS Yoshi's Islands, except on a 3DS and some added quirks. 3D is nice though

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:58 pm 

Ding dong the Viy is dead!

Defeating Inferno Cavern's guardian asap turned out to be extremely rewarding.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:26 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
So I got my copy of Yoshi's New Island yesterday and welp, it's pretty much just the SNES and DS Yoshi's Islands, except on a 3DS and some added quirks. 3D is nice though

I just wish they wouldn't have changed Yoshi to the butt-stupid Yoshi's Story design.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:41 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I'll probably finish this in the summer of 2017, but the point is that I finally started.

Be sure to finish it. The ending provides amazing closure to the series. Hit me right in the feels.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:04 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Jumping from a series Morri loves to a series Morri hates: finally getting around to Metal Gear Solid 4

Huh? Series? She likes MGS 1-3 fine. MGS3 is possibly one of her favorite games... :scratch:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:34 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Jumping from a series Morri loves to a series Morri hates: finally getting around to Metal Gear Solid 4

Huh? Series? She likes MGS 1-3 fine. MGS3 is possibly one of her favorite games... :scratch:

I do know that Morrigan thinks Raiden is a dork.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:44 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Oh? I guess her hatred of Quiet and the several page argument about sexism/how much of a psychotic weirdo Kojima is must've just made me assume that the whole series irritated her. Well regardless, the series is an overwritten exercise in self indulgence but I loved the first three myself, and my buddy swears (just like Ozzy did) that the ending to 4 wraps everything up perfectly. I'm very interested to see exactly how since there are scores of unresolved plot points that have just been building up throughout the series.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:24 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I do know that Morrigan thinks Raiden is a dork.

Everyone does.

Everyone is probably playing Dark Souls 2 right now, but I'm still hanging around with Dragon's Dogma. This game rules. My console broke before I had the opportunity the play it properly(finish the main quest and so on) but I'm working on it now and I'm having a blast, and there's the Dark Arisen stuff too so it will make me busy for quite an while still. I'd sell my soul to Capcom to a get a sequel for this.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:38 pm 

I started playing the old school Stronghold games again. They still feel just as good to this day as they did when I played them many years ago. They were so unique and did things no other RTS did back then, all while having an awesome charm.

Image Image

I haven't played the sequels, but I've read they were really shitty, which is unfortunate.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:47 pm 

The newer Crusader games sucks ass. Don't bother.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:06 am 

I like MGS just fine. MGS4 kind of blows though. It has its moments, but they are painfully few and far between the insufferable moments that make this clusterfuck of a "game". And yes, Kojima is a creep, but that doesn't mean I necessarily hate everything he does. You do realize you can be critical or even have some distaste towards some aspects of a game (or movie, or anything) while still enjoying it? The racism in Lovecraft's stories is a good example.

That said, I'll bet MGS5 will suck. Just a hunch. Well, a hunch + Quiet + Ground Zeroes being a glorified demo + Kojima being a tard + "open world"

Marag wrote:
Everyone does.

Yeah my reaction to that was, "who the hell doesn't?". Though to be honest, when I replayed MGS2 on the HD collection the other day, he wasn't nearly as annoying as I remembered him to be. (Rose can fuck off though, urgh.) A large part of the hatedom for Raiden is that he isn't Snake, and to be fair, that's a perfectly valid criticism, since a large part of the charm of MGS is playing Snake. :P

Quote:
Everyone is probably playing Dark Souls 2 right now, but I'm still hanging around with Dragon's Dogma. This game rules. My console broke before I had the opportunity the play it properly(finish the main quest and so on) but I'm working on it now and I'm having a blast, and there's the Dark Arisen stuff too so it will make me busy for quite an while still. I'd sell my soul to Capcom to a get a sequel for this.

If you are on PS3, feel free to borrow one of my pawns (yes, I have two accounts 'cause I wanted to make two characters/pawns and the game wouldn't let me... -_-). One is a strider and the other a sorcerer. They might be OP as hell though, they all got golden-rarified level 3 BBI gear. :) PM me for PSN exchange names (sorry, forgot if you're PS3 or 360).
Dark Arisen is great. Kind of partially because it's so Souls inspired, haha. But it's really all the best parts of Dragon's Dogma minus the stupid parts of the main game. Really made me appreciate the game a lot more. When I made my second character, which I played on Hard mode, I was remembering all the annoying bits of the game and couldn't wait to be strong enough to take on the Dark Arisen contnet.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:21 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
I started playing the old school Stronghold games again.

Old-school? Excuse me?

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:56 am 

Forgive me, 2001 is old school for my young mind. I wasn't even aware there was an even earlier one.

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:51 am 

the weird thing about MGS4 is the difficulty. i beat it on the hardest mode and it felt a lot easier than the first 3 on hard mode. guess you just can't have challenge in games anymore.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:47 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Oh? I guess her hatred of Quiet and the several page argument about sexism/how much of a psychotic weirdo Kojima is must've just made me assume that the whole series irritated her. Well regardless, the series is an overwritten exercise in self indulgence but I loved the first three myself, and my buddy swears (just like Ozzy did) that the ending to 4 wraps everything up perfectly. I'm very interested to see exactly how since there are scores of unresolved plot points that have just been building up throughout the series.

I don't remember my Metal Gear plot very well, but I do remember that a lot of important parts of the story were developed in the PSP games (Portable Ops and Peace Walker). Peace Walker was actually originally named MGS5. If you haven't played them you may want to read up on a summary, just to appreciate the ending to 4 more.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:59 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
I started playing the old school Stronghold games again. They still feel just as good to this day as they did when I played them many years ago. They were so unique and did things no other RTS did back then, all while having an awesome charm.

Spoiler: show
Image Image

I haven't played the sequels, but I've read they were really shitty, which is unfortunate.

I recently downloaded the Stronghold game available on Steam but I uninstalled it almost immediately after. It has nothing to do with the previous releases (yes, the sequels were terrible but at least they followed a same gameplay mode). Stronghold Kingdoms is overwhelming in one hand, and bland and slow in the other, so all the features about alliances and technologies don't compensate the lack of "visual action", to say it in a way.

Anyway, talking about Steam, any free games you people can recommend? I'm already playing Dota 2 and Path of Exile, and I really like RTS-B&B games, same with the GTA kind of games. Not a big fan of FPS but I can play one if it comes along a good storyline.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:19 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I like MGS just fine. MGS4 kind of blows though. It has its moments, but they are painfully few and far between the insufferable moments that make this clusterfuck of a "game". And yes, Kojima is a creep, but that doesn't mean I necessarily hate everything he does. You do realize you can be critical or even have some distaste towards some aspects of a game (or movie, or anything) while still enjoying it? The racism in Lovecraft's stories is a good example.

That said, I'll bet MGS5 will suck. Just a hunch. Well, a hunch + Quiet + Ground Zeroes being a glorified demo + Kojima being a tard + "open world"

Marag wrote:
Everyone does.

Yeah my reaction to that was, "who the hell doesn't?". Though to be honest, when I replayed MGS2 on the HD collection the other day, he wasn't nearly as annoying as I remembered him to be. (Rose can fuck off though, urgh.) A large part of the hatedom for Raiden is that he isn't Snake, and to be fair, that's a perfectly valid criticism, since a large part of the charm of MGS is playing Snake. :P

I guess I just saw one aspect of your opinion and extrapolated an entire swath, my bad. But yeah, MGS4 is definitely different so far, not sure how much I like some of the new things (like Drebin's Shop, for example), but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. One thing that's really bothering me is that there have been very few parts where sneaking was actually viable it seems. I'm still in South America, on the way to the research lab, so it's only been a couple of hours but it's been just non-stop action and warfare, and I've gotten into way too many nearly impossible-to-avoid gunfights. Not really what the spirit of MGS was about, and the controls and whatnot are just not suited for action. It's always been about the stealth.

Also, I don't know if the younger people here can really remember the sheer shock of Raiden from 2. I was 11 when MGS2 came out, and I was a huge fan of the first game and followed every piece of development in every issue of PSM for like a year and a half building up to it. There were all these cool trailers of Snake on the tanker and all the new moves and maneuvers you could do and Ocelot was just becoming an insane villain and oh god it was gonna be so cool. Then I finally got the game, I burned through the Tanker section in a fairly quick amount of time, and then the Big Shell chapter started. At first you're like "...you're not Snake.... and you sound like a doofus", and then you notice his stupid suit with the super obvious crotch bulge. Then you see his stupid face and you keep hearing his stupid voice and his stupid arguments with his stupid girlfriend and just fuck. You asked yourself how long this part would last. Twenty or thirty hours later you'd learn that the answer was "the rest of the game". There was no indication that there was going to be a new character, much less that he would be playable and even less that he would be the main character for 90% of the game. Nobody saw that coming, and a lot of fans at the time just ripped Raiden a new one for that. I don't think he's quite as irritating as everybody else (though it's close), but seriously, come on.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:59 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Anyway, talking about Steam, any free games you people can recommend? I'm already playing Dota 2 and Path of Exile, and I really like RTS-B&B games, same with the GTA kind of games. Not a big fan of FPS but I can play one if it comes along a good storyline.

Loadout doesn't sound like it's up your alley (multiplayer third-person shooter) but it's very fun indeed.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:39 pm 

Oh man, just got The Bee in Borderlands 2

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:19 pm 

>:|

I really wanted to try out a Bee with a good amp shield as I've heard that's a deadly combo. Apparently it's especially nasty with a good amp shield and an Anarchy mechromancer build. Oh well, at least I've got a Conference Call to play around with whenever I get around to actually making that character, hah.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:50 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Loadout doesn't sound like it's up your alley (multiplayer third-person shooter) but it's very fun indeed.

I'm gonna give it a try, thanks.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:52 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
>:|

I really wanted to try out a Bee with a good amp shield as I've heard that's a deadly combo. Apparently it's especially nasty with a good amp shield and an Anarchy mechromancer build. Oh well, at least I've got a Conference Call to play around with whenever I get around to actually making that character, hah.

Wait, The Bee is already a shield. :???: Or am I missing something?

So far it's quite useful (especially since I've pumped a lot of points/tokens into speeding up shield recharge delay), though I'd like to find a good machine gun to really take advantage of the amp damage.

Also just hit level 49 and am thinking of speeding through the remaining storyline quests so I can start UVHM sooner.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:08 pm 

Err, yeah, haha. Sorry, forgot that it *is* a really good amp shield. I've never actually had one so I've just heard about it in reference to certain kinds of builds, like that Mechromancer anarchy build I was mentioning (where you wanna try to crank up rate of fire and per-bullet damage as high as possible). So yeah...Bee + Conference Call might be pretty insane...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:14 pm 

Onikage wrote:
guess you just can't have challenge in games anymore.

You were sayin'?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:15 pm 

Let me guess... Dark Souls..?

last.fm

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:27 pm 

Yep. Killing that boss was the most excited I've been about a video game accomplishment since beating my first boss in Mega Man X back in 2nd grade.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:46 pm 

Currently playing South Park: The Stick of Truth. Amazing representation of the show as a videogame, really plays like a sort of very interactive and authentic episode. The actual gameplay is kinda lacking, it really reminds me of Paper Mario which I always found pretty boring (though this isn't AS boring), but because it has the South Park setting/characters/etc. it's interesting enough to me even if I'm not the biggest fan of the show. Recommended for fans of the show, others can skip.

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:52 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Onikage wrote:
guess you just can't have challenge in games anymore.

You were sayin'?

i meant in general, like how the new devil may cry, ninja gaiden, grand theft auto and hitman games have watered down difficulty compared to the older games in the series.

ornstein and smough wasn't even the hardest part of the game though, at least if you kill ornstein first, there's a pretty easy way to do it. i found the 4 kings and especially 4 kings on new game plus to be far more difficult.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:29 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
If you are on PS3, feel free to borrow one of my pawns (yes, I have two accounts 'cause I wanted to make two characters/pawns and the game wouldn't let me... -_-). One is a strider and the other a sorcerer. They might be OP as hell though, they all got golden-rarified level 3 BBI gear. :) PM me for PSN exchange names (sorry, forgot if you're PS3 or 360).
Dark Arisen is great. Kind of partially because it's so Souls inspired, haha. But it's really all the best parts of Dragon's Dogma minus the stupid parts of the main game. Really made me appreciate the game a lot more. When I made my second character, which I played on Hard mode, I was remembering all the annoying bits of the game and couldn't wait to be strong enough to take on the Dark Arisen contnet.

Overpowered and overlevelled too, haha. I just started a new game+ on hard mode and I'm about level 57, I don't think I would even have enough riftbucks to hire them. Seems like no one else around my level range still plays this, my pawn rarely gets hired. I'm on PSN. I'd still like to hire them once I get more powerful, though, I'll pm you.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:30 pm 

Onikage wrote:
i meant in general, like how the new devil may cry, ninja gaiden, grand theft auto and hitman games have watered down difficulty compared to the older games in the series.

Anyone else play the original Ninja Gaiden recently? I got to the last boss when I played a few weeks ago but I swear that guy is pretty much impossible. Like, Mike Tyson in Punch-Out impossible.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565 ... 940  Next