Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:31 pm 

I like having the recording in physical form as well. Otherwise I wouldn't buy nearly as many CD's and records as I do, since as you said, just clicking "play" on a bunch of digital files is insanely easy to do - similar to why I'm now addicted to online music shopping, and rarely bother to hit up actual brick-and-mortar music stores.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:09 pm 

I buy CDs solely for the reason that I'd never listen to anything I otherwise wouldn't buy, I never saw the point in having 1TB of music that 70% of which you'd never hear. In the collection is a few hundred of some of my favorite CDs collected and given during the past decade.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 pm 

androdion wrote:
Now you're just being a dick about what I said. I'm sorry but that's what your post reeks of.

I also don't feel anything magical, but you know what?! Call me old fashioned, an old fart, a warrior from the past or whatever, but I've grown so fucking accustomed to just hitting play on a button for my PC to decode some digital files I may or may not end up buying that, I don't know, I feel happy to hit my shelves and pick up a CD I actually own and put it spinning. It's not that it makes me feel better as much as it makes me feel more in touch with the "ritual" of listening to music. You could, and very well, argue that every CD is a digital media and that pushing play on a piece of software it's too different from hitting play on a stereo's optical drive. But again I say, call me old fashioned and all, but I like having the "trouble" of actually getting up from my chair and changing CDs inside the drive.

I guess it isn't that hard to understand.

I genuinely wasn't being hostile or anything like that. What I meant by "magical" was simply that you obviously feel better by physically putting in a CD for whatever personal reasons. Sure, I think it's silly and completely arbitrary, but like I said, whatever suits you. I'm not going to demean you over it or anything.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:17 am 

Right now, I play my music through my laptop via mp3s. However, I still buy CDs and am not an avid fan of downloads. What I do is buy CDs and rip them to my laptop. I rarely play my CDs at home since I don't have a decent CD player. I do play them when I drive my car. When I'm at home though, it's through my laptop.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:53 am 

Dudemanguy wrote:
androdion wrote:
Now you're just being a dick about what I said. I'm sorry but that's what your post reeks of.

I also don't feel anything magical, but you know what?! Call me old fashioned, an old fart, a warrior from the past or whatever, but I've grown so fucking accustomed to just hitting play on a button for my PC to decode some digital files I may or may not end up buying that, I don't know, I feel happy to hit my shelves and pick up a CD I actually own and put it spinning. It's not that it makes me feel better as much as it makes me feel more in touch with the "ritual" of listening to music. You could, and very well, argue that every CD is a digital media and that pushing play on a piece of software it's too different from hitting play on a stereo's optical drive. But again I say, call me old fashioned and all, but I like having the "trouble" of actually getting up from my chair and changing CDs inside the drive.

I guess it isn't that hard to understand.

I genuinely wasn't being hostile or anything like that. What I meant by "magical" was simply that you obviously feel better by physically putting in a CD for whatever personal reasons. Sure, I think it's silly and completely arbitrary, but like I said, whatever suits you. I'm not going to demean you over it or anything.

Ok then, I'll bury the hatchet. ;)

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:09 am 

Easy. Spotify.

To own physical or even digital copies of anything is just a waste of space. It's a bit of a weird situation though, since my own band only released vinyl editions or digital downloads, but that was not my decision.

With that said I am not ready just yet to sell my collections. I do however not see myself playing them until the day I get retired.

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:53 am 

LP > CD > lossless > tape > mp3

mark of the devil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:36 am 

Vinyl when I really want to "listen" to an album. CD when I am in the car. MP3 when I am on the go in public place. To really hear an album, you need to hear an analog version. Obviously that is not always possible and that is where the convenience of digital comes in. I have a hard time respecting the opinions of downloaders when they are criticizing music. Ofcourse certain bands and albums sound like garbage when you are listening through 10 dollar ear buds on a format that has loss built in. Might as well jam out to my mom's alarm clock radio.

mark of the devil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:43 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
CloggedUrethra wrote:
Browsing through a folder on my computer to listen to random files instantly with the click of a button is easier than repeatedly changing the cd in my cd player.

Kinda reeks of laziness. Sorry. That's one of the things I enjoy about changing out albums. There is nothing I'm so involved with that I can't take 2 mins(if even that, usually more like 30secs) to decide on a new album and put it in the cd player.

This right here is another reason why I might not respect a downloader's opinion: If you are always doin something else while listenin to music, then you aren't hearing everything on the album. You can hear it, but you are not experiencing it. As the poster above pointed out, some fans are so bothered by even changing out a cd.....what the fuck are they doing that is so important they cant do it? Whatever it is, it isn't "listening" to music.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:44 am 

They should just start selling a simple download code's packaged within 12" gatefold vinyl jackets haha.

Tapes are cool if all the songs on the album are cool.
Vinyl is cool mainly due to the artwork and visual presentation options a label can use.
CD's are the easy format of all three.

Computers, Ipods, whatever digital source... an endless stream of music in a device the size of a wallet or less. Hard not to get caught up with new technology... since I have regular human ears and do not pretend to appreciate the missing sound frequencies only dogs or whatever could hear anyways.

So yea, I have plenty of copies of the traditional formats but I will be realistic... digital library is proving to be more economical.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:46 am 

mark of the devil wrote:
This right here is another reason why I might not respect a downloader's opinion: If you are always doin something else while listenin to music, then you aren't hearing everything on the album. You can hear it, but you are not experiencing it.

Speak for yourself there, man. I'm always busy and always doing shit while listening to music, and I feel like I've gotten a great understanding of the kind of music I like. Who has time to just sit and do nothing while listening to music? Maybe if you're in high school and don't have any responsibilities.

I listen to music on my iPod or in the car all the time. I used to have a CD player and while it was cool to put an album in and listen to it that way, an iPod is just more convenient and better overall. Doesn't change that I buy albums and what not at all.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:53 am 

Empyreal wrote:
mark of the devil wrote:
This right here is another reason why I might not respect a downloader's opinion: If you are always doin something else while listenin to music, then you aren't hearing everything on the album. You can hear it, but you are not experiencing it.

Speak for yourself there, man. I'm always busy and always doing shit while listening to music, and I feel like I've gotten a great understanding of the kind of music I like. Who has time to just sit and do nothing while listening to music? Maybe if you're in high school and don't have any responsibilities.

I listen to music on my iPod or in the car all the time. I used to have a CD player and while it was cool to put an album in and listen to it that way, an iPod is just more convenient and better overall. Doesn't change that I buy albums and what not at all.

This x2.

In real adult life (at the risk of sounding like an old fart) there's little time to just listen to music without doing anything else. Of course there are moments when I first approach a new album that I'll just concentrate on it instead of other things, but mostly I'll be listening to music while doing anything and everything. There's just not enough hours in the day to be able to just sit down with it most of the time.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:04 am 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
I prefer hq mp3s or wavs (that I buy or are free from the band). I like cds also but they're harder to use.
We're getting some pretty good mileage from that! :lol:

CDs by a mile for me, had I realised that years later I'd be buying CDs regularly I wouldn't have bothered with the pain in the arse format of cassette tapes, but they were ten bucks cheaper so yeah :roll:

cassettes - nostalgia or to collect the whole set
vinyl - because it's awesome and sometimes is cheaper than anything else, also to collect the whole set
compact disc - cheap to buy, cheap postage, sounds good, more durable, easy to store and often it's the only format
digital formats - only if it's the only format or if it's a freebee

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:09 am 

androdion wrote:
In real adult life (at the risk of sounding like an old fart) there's little time to just listen to music without doing anything else. Of course there are moments when I first approach a new album that I'll just concentrate on it instead of other things, but mostly I'll be listening to music while doing anything and everything. There's just not enough hours in the day to be able to just sit down with it most of the time.

Yeah, I mean, it's totally easy if you get a new album, to find an hour or so to listen to it when the day is over. But it's just not possible if you mean everything you fucking ever listen to - there's no time to sit down and concentrate solely on every album you hear. You can still understand them even if you just listen in the car or while making dinner or whatever if you hear em a few times. People understand music differently.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:17 am 

I've never just sat down and done nothing else but listen to an album. I can't stand just not doing that. I actually can better focus on an album if I'm doing something else like for example... painting a picture. There's no other outside stimuli to interrupt my concentration on either. A lot of time it's while I'm online doing whatever I listen to albums and that's usually not too distracting. Sometimes reading or playing a video game that's along the lines of GTA's freeroam or multiplayer from Max Payne 3. I don't have to hear anything and can go off the visuals while listening to blast beats and death gurgles and actually play better.

But hell even back in the day I never could just sit and listen to an album I start looking for distractions and then don't even notice the album end till like 20mins later cause I felt I was wasting my day.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:21 am 

I often 'forget' I'm listening, or even hearing, music play while I'm doing stuff like making *tea or replying to emails etc
I'll suddenly realise I wasn't paying attention and maybe skip it back ha ha :oh shit:

*dinner

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:29 am 

You aren't the only one I'm certain. I have had that happen before and that's when I just go.. *presses replay*

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:57 pm 

I think people have the false idea that if you're doing something else while listening to music you're not actively listening to it. What's funny though is that there are proven studies that show that your brain can memorize patterns even when you're sleeping, which means that if you fall asleep while listening to music your brain is still processing it. I think it only stops doing so when you enter REM sleep, but I'd have to check it out to be sure.

So yeah, if you still listen to it even when you're sleeping I'd say that cooking dinner or taking a shower or whatever doesn't make you not listen to it.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:06 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
CloggedUrethra wrote:
I prefer hq mp3s or wavs (that I buy or are free from the band). I like cds also but they're harder to use.
We're getting some pretty good mileage from that! :lol:

Yeah, really bad/confusing choice of words by me. :(

mark of the devil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:53 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
I often 'forget' I'm listening, or even hearing, music play while I'm doing stuff like making *tea or replying to emails etc
I'll suddenly realise I wasn't paying attention and maybe skip it back ha ha :oh shit:

*dinner

Thank you.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2