Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:03 pm 

Dystopia, your drunken episode stories are the best of the lot here, because they always have a sense of real danger to them.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:47 pm 

Jeez. Way to not witness a power lifter empty your roommate's head.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:47 pm 

What's worse is my friend (legally) owns a gun. I guess even he knows better in his extremely drunken state to fuck around with that, as he'd definitely go to jail.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:22 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I spoke too soon. THIS is the most ridiculous thing I've seen all week.

Apparently according to the comments in the video, Dream Theater is actually playing the video in their tour right now.

Guys, have you ever wondered why Gothenburg Melodic Death Metal bands from the 90s are more predisposed in comparison to other bands from different metal genres to embrace groove metal, nu metal, metalcore stylings in their songs? Look at Soilwork, In Flames, Sonic Syndicate etc.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:02 pm 

My mom saw these in the store and burst out laughing so she bought them for me so I can share in the joy:

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:17 pm 

If it isn't manna-flavored it doesn't interest me. :lol:

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:30 pm 

I think they're cute! And a much better enticement for church attendance than those dry-ass wafers ;)
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:40 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
My mom saw these in the store and burst out laughing so she bought them for me so I can share in the joy:

Spoiler: show

I believe stuff like that is evil. I believe it's the devil's work.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:41 pm 

I want some Satan approved jujubes.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:57 pm 

How about some Jesus approved soft drink instead?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:09 am 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
Guys, have you ever wondered why Gothenburg Melodic Death Metal bands from the 90s are more predisposed in comparison to other bands from different metal genres to embrace groove metal, nu metal, metalcore stylings in their songs? Look at Soilwork, In Flames, Sonic Syndicate etc.

That's an odd statement as two of those three bands are neither from Gothenburg nor were they part of the Gothenburg scene in the 90s. Sonic Syndicate weren't around in the 90s and didn't even put out an album until the mid 2000s, and their style was clearly influenced by the post-2000 output of In Flames, Soilwork, and the metalcore scene.

The Gothenburg melodic death metal scene of the 90s was rooted in death metal, and went back to the late 80s when some of the notable musicians started bonding and playing extreme stuff from the 80s - Bathory, Celtic Frost, etc. Most of these musicians were playing death metal in the early 90s, somewhat in the shadow of the Stockholm scene. Their style really began to separate itself into the melodic death metal around 1994, due to two key events: Carcass' Heartwork was released in late '93 and was a huge influence on the bands with hard rock and heavy metal influences, and ATG's Terminal Spirit Disease came out in 1994. The vast majority of the signature style of that scene came out between 1994-98 - that is the Gothenburg melodeath scene itself. The "Gothenburg" style name sort of carried on a legacy as a general name for melodic death metal - including bands like Arch Enemy and Soilwork who weren't from Gothenburg, and somehow onto bands like Sonic Syndicate who never played any sort of death metal, rather imitated the later style of bands who used to play melodic death metal.

It is important to note that the mid 90s were a thriving time for death metal - many of the landmarks came in the early 90s, but the success came later. Around 1993, Earache partnered with some major companies to market bands like Morbid Angel and Entombed to a broader audience. The same period of 94-98 in which the Gothenburg scene flourished was also when death n roll started and burned out because: A) Entombed started it on Wolverine Blues B) Carcass successfully mixed hard rock and death metal on Heartwork.

Back to the original point about Gothenburg-style stuff, the bands that were popular in the early 2000s generally were of neither the same origin nor roots - they were largely formed after Heartwork, Slaughter of the Soul, Wolverine Blues, etc. They are far more likely to embrace other styles that had already been blended into the music in some form because they never played and never subscribed to the philosophy and style of pre-1993 death metal, which was a sort of different entity, much more in the tradition of death metal being focused on *death* [etc] rather than being a more accessible vehicle for music with harsh vocals and extreme guitar parts.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:05 am 

Talk about kicking a man when he's down.
A heart warming read

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:33 am 

Holy shit did you guys know that Vulcano from Brazil is still around? Like, holy shit. If I didn't start liking bands on Facebook I would never had known!

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:19 am 

Beer Baron wrote:

wow, amazing
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:25 am 

I'm not really big on metal bands and film clips, they somehow usually get it all wrong (though later Behemoth clips have... something going for them), and fail to capture the atmosphere and feel of the song, but this one I didn't mind at all. The creepy minimalism really works for me, as does the lighting and general mood. The song itself is really, really fucking good too, and I can't wait to have it in my hands.

Aosoth - Ritual Marks Of Penance

My collection

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:54 am 

wtf? The first picture that pops up when you google pete sandoval is a picture of him with his dick out. It's the main picture.

https://www.google.com/#q=pete+sandoval

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:02 am 

Thanks, now I can never listen to World Downfall again without that Strategic Warhead coming into my mind.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:17 am 

Inhumanist, I think you can if you want to.
Do you want to?
Btw for some strange reason I googled him but the picture didn't come up, and I'm thankful for that

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:09 am 

Haha the candy corn actually isn't all that bad. it's supposed to be some gluten free naturally flavored with honey shit... tastes like a less sugary candy corn but in a good way. But they didn't look all xmas like in that pic. more easter colors. When my mom gave them to me I pulled out a pack and read the scripture and said goddamn that doesn't make one bit of sense cause the grammar seems to be backwards.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:15 pm 

Anyone here familiar with Vilkacis' The Fever of War? I just posted about this in the Underground Gems thread but figured I'd mention it here since I'd say it deserves some attention. One-man US project heavily influenced by Blazebirth Hall but with enough unique touches to lift it out of pure worship territory. I'm a pretty big fan of the BBH sound but I don't hear a ton about that circle here on MA.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:04 pm 

Just got back from the Sodom/Asphyx gig in Bari last night. What a fucking triumphant evening of true metal! Asphyx were fantastic (as they were the last time I saw them; heavy, enthusiastic, tight) and I thought Sodom might have a hard time topping them but they just bowled me over with their raw energy. They just have a certain charm and grace to them which is totally timeless. It helped that the audience were completely over-the-top (some of the stagedivers were too drunk to make it to the stage or the audience). A ridiculous evening of headbanging. I need a new neck. Sodom's setlist wasn't too heavy on new stuff, too, which certainly makes a difference... songs like 'Agent Orange' and 'Outbreak of Evil' are just ridiculously intense live. In fact, I don't much can top a live version of 'Agent Orange' in terms of intensity. Onkel Tom likes to give the front row beer, too, which is very kind of him.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:35 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Anyone here familiar with Vilkacis' The Fever of War? I just posted about this in the Underground Gems thread but figured I'd mention it here since I'd say it deserves some attention. One-man US project heavily influenced by Blazebirth Hall but with enough unique touches to lift it out of pure worship territory. I'm a pretty big fan of the BBH sound but I don't hear a ton about that circle here on MA.

Dunno what Blazebirth Hall bands sound like, but Vilkacis is very good. I received a promo mail from Psychic Violence some months ago which prompted me to listen to Blood Dream... on Sound cloud and I was hooked, if not surprised by the rawness considering how misleadingly clean the art is. I love that violent and raw sound

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:43 pm 

Ah, in that case you should look into BBH. Branikald, Forest, Raven Dark, all excellent projects with their fair share of absolutely killer releases. Barbaric, wrathful, relentless, uncompromising shit, some of my absolute favorite black metal.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:49 pm 

..posted in wrong thread..
Jesco White on slimy eggs..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4wEyiFZanA

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:49 pm 

This Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 incident is just bizarre. They are now searching for it in two oceans by water and eleven countries (spanning two continents) by land. I'm pretty sure the only thing investigators have ruled out is aliens, seemingly everything else is considered possible. Credible people (not woo theorists) have said all of the following are plausible:

*mistaken for a foreign bomber/fighter jet and shot down by some nation's military (note: this is not as far-fetched as it sounds)
*piracy (for something in the plane's cargo hold)
*piracy (for the plane itself)
*terrorism (bomb, suicide hijacker)
*physical hijacking -- plane has landed somewhere
*"cyber hijacking" (a passenger in the cabin sabotaging some of the systems via laptop) -- plane has landed somewhere
*successful water landing, everyone is floating on those deployable life rafts)
*pilot/crew mass suicide
*Microburst
*Meteor strike (seriously)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:34 pm 

So I'm generally opposed to linking to 'racist ridicule' pages over the internet (however hilarious or poignant they may be), because it almost always gives an unrealistic representation of how many racist people there ACTUALLY are. Typically, every ten racist posters you'll see in a YouTube/Discus comments section is actually one person and his nine sock accounts; this is to create a false sense of majority and to drum up further "us vs. them" mentalities on both sides (these sides being "crazy" and "non-crazy"). Basically, putting up a link to a 'public shaming' site ridiculing a bunch of Twitter accounts for calling our president the n-word is actually HELPING the 'racist cause' in this country.

So that's why I'm glad Mr. Kyle Hunt successfully organized a "real-life" protest for morons everywhere! Because now we can see once and for all just how prevalent these "freedom fighters for the white race" really are.

So thanks Mr. Hunt, you sub-human pile of human waste, you! :)
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:50 pm 

Regarding Malaysian Airlines: The news about that is terrible. I read somewhere that the plane would've been discovered by now (using various technological means) but the only thing stopping that could be foul play.

Oberst_Orlok_SS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:52 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
This Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 incident is just bizarre. They are now searching for it in two oceans by water and eleven countries (spanning two continents) by land. I'm pretty sure the only thing investigators have ruled out is aliens, seemingly everything else is considered possible. Credible people (not woo theorists) have said all of the following are plausible:

*"cyber hijacking" (a passenger in the cabin sabotaging some of the systems via laptop) -- plane has landed somewhere

There's no physical connection between the two systems. Even if there was, where would they get the software? How would they have programed the language? It's not like the Iranians or Russians hacking a US drone. Fly by wire is a closed system. It's like asking someone to pick your nose for you. Only you know where the booger is.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:09 pm 

The sudden reversal of flightpath back westwards across Malaysia makes me think the pilots did it. A typical terrorism, i.e. passengers storming the cockpit, should have resulted in someone sending a "omg weve been hijacked" text. Between the course change and the final radar disappearance, someone should have managed to do that! But none have come forward, so that suggests the passengers never knew.

That still doesn't answer why they vanished from radar though... Maybe en route to the target, something else sudden and very bizarre happened as well, to take the plane down. Military shootdown? Underwater volcano discharge? Fuel tank explosion? A hijack alone doesn't explain the whole thing.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:50 pm 

it was the rapture. They were the only people to be saved and beamed up to heaven. We are all left here in hell. That's the story.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:17 am 

Oh hey, today is my 6-year anniversary of joining the forums. So yeah, you've all been rad and all that.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:56 am 

A simple explanation for the Flight 370 disappearance:

God finally got caught up with Lost four years after the fact, understandably went "What the hell was that crap?", and decided to recreate it in real life as he believed it should have happened. The plane is on an uncharted island somewhere and the plot of the show is unfolding on the surviving passengers as we speak, undoubtedly making a ton more sense than the show ever did.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:11 am 

I heard it was the aliens.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:24 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfmb-BbH2bI

It's a cold March morning - snow falling plentiful upon the porch. I'm drinking with some friends and while they are all dancing and losing themselves in the music, I can't replace an old familiar feeling of depression and angst. I feel weightless and free, but both those word have a negative connotation. I'm watching three or four women dance in my living room and two guys talk about music in my dining room, and I'm just sitting there, finishing a bottle of whiskey. Not because it's fun to do it, but because it feels more like a duty to do so. I love these people, they love me - but I feel so far away. The only song that identifies this strange feeling runs through my head. Maybe you're an addict, maybe you're just feeling blue - either way Frog, push through it.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:47 am 

Oberst_Orlok_SS wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

There's no physical connection between the two systems.

Unfortunately for some systems on some airlines, this isn't true. You can't take over the flight controls (nor the autopilot, in most cases) but there's other ways you can fuck with a plane from your laptop.

severzhavnost wrote:
The sudden reversal of flightpath back westwards across Malaysia makes me think the pilots did it. A typical terrorism, i.e. passengers storming the cockpit, should have resulted in someone sending a "omg weve been hijacked" text. Between the course change and the final radar disappearance, someone should have managed to do that! But none have come forward, so that suggests the passengers never knew.

If there was a struggle in the cockpit or hijackers put a gun to their head, the pilots may not have had the opportunity to send a distress signal. I do agree some sort of pilot/crew/pilot+crew suicide is the most likely explanation, but the simplest way to do that would be to simply point the plane down and let it fall into the ocean, not turn around and fly back towards land first.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:48 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

:tinfoil: I'm never gonna withdraw money from an outdoor atm ever again.

That's some scar shit right there. I had like $3,000 stolen from me a couple years back in almost the same fashion. The fucker had put a card reader into a gas pump at the station near my work, I've been so paranoid that I never went back there for gas again.
If I have to use an atm, which is never, I use ones inside shopping centres, because for some reason cameras and bustling people have a tendency to scare away would be criminals. Thankfully we've moved away from the 90's and have internet banking from phones.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:08 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
ScratchMyBack wrote:

That's an odd statement as two of those three bands are neither from Gothenburg nor were they part of the Gothenburg scene in the 90s. Sonic Syndicate weren't around in the 90s and didn't even put out an album until the mid 2000s, and their style was clearly influenced by the post-2000 output of In Flames, Soilwork, and the metalcore scene.

Back to the original point about Gothenburg-style stuff, the bands that were popular in the early 2000s generally were of neither the same origin nor roots - they were largely formed after Heartwork, Slaughter of the Soul, Wolverine Blues, etc. They are far more likely to embrace other styles that had already been blended into the music in some form because they never played and never subscribed to the philosophy and style of pre-1993 death metal, which was a sort of different entity, much more in the tradition of death metal being focused on *death* [etc] rather than being a more accessible vehicle for music with harsh vocals and extreme guitar parts.

Sorry about the Gothenburg tag. I'm so used to associate Melodic Death Metal with the scene. I think the more appropriate question would be why Melodeath bands have tendencies to embrace the genres above. You explanation sort of makes sense. I assume In Flames's latter material were also primarily written by newer members who were not really into the actual scene? Because if so, it makes sense considering that no original member still exist in the band. Tbh, I wish more modern metal bands were influenced by Wolverine Blues rather than Heartwork, as much as I love it.

PS/ I assume your username is a reference to a Dark Tranquillity song? \m/

Earthcubed wrote:

*mistaken for a foreign bomber/fighter jet and shot down by some nation's military (note: this is not as far-fetched as it sounds)
*pilot/crew mass suicide
*Microburst

As a Malaysian, this doesn't come off as something surprising. This is the 1st time Malaysia had such a disaster in it's modern history. Our administration has no experience nor expertise in this matter. However it's pretty shameful concerning the miscommunication has been going on. The Malaysian government is so used into having mainstream media in their pocket. Traditionally, this quasi-autocratic government would normally dismiss non-mainstream media as either nests for conspiracy theories or as mere amateur journalism without authority. Now they have to face the music with the existence of foreign media finally pushing the right buttons. At least officials now will wake up to see that they no longer control information flaw. Probably the only good side to come out from this tragedy. The news this morning finally confirmed that the transponder was turned off on purpose. So I'm more likely to think it's a hijack. It was also announced earlier today that investigations have now being shifted into a criminal investigation. So I assume that the authorities are subtly telling people they know it's a hijack. Why or so, we can only speculate. I don't want to cry malicious intent by the government right now, because anyone with the right mind wouldn't play around with citizens of another country to be used a political distraction.

Now aside from that, let's talk about metal again. Kreator and Skeletonwitch is coming to Malaysia end of this month/early next month. Problem is, I'm broke and I'm in Kuala Lumpur, the capital. Ticket prices for Kreator is pretty steep and is on a weekday. Skeletonwitch (with Eternal Rest, AUS as an opening act) on the other hand for some reason cancelled their show in Kuala Lumpur and decided to play in the state of Johor (probably because it's close to Singapore, seeing how they're playing there too.) Now I don't have a car and mostly rely on public transport. Johor is also like a 4-5 hour bus ride so for me to watch Skeletonwitch, it will cost me about the same price to watch Kreator. I only have enough money to probably watch only one show for now. So guys, which one do you think should I go for?

Skeletonwitch is also playing in my hometown in East Malaysia (Kuching) but I won't be around on those dates. =(

Edit: Skeletonwitch is also playing with Kylesa in East Malaysia! I might try to fly back home instead.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:00 am 

A New Metallica song, which has its moments. Actually it sounds like a spot on emulation of something written between justice and s/T.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
If I have to use an atm, which is never, I use ones inside shopping centres, because for some reason cameras and bustling people have a tendency to scare away would be criminals. Thankfully we've moved away from the 90's and have internet banking from phones.

You are clearly not paranoid enough. Phones are incredibly unsafe.

Also, I didn't know you could withdraw cash from a phone. :scratch:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:53 am 

Earthcubed wrote:

*pilot/crew mass suicide
*Microburst

It's fun to think that it's extra-terrestrials flexing their muscles and going, "WE'RE HERE, BITCHES. ZAP YOUR PLANES RIGHT OUT OF THE FUCKING AIR."

But beyond that, the incident is just haunting and spooky.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479 ... 518  Next