Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:23 am 

Since a few of us have expressed interest in a separate thread for DS2, here we go. Be considerate of other players and use spoiler tags appropriately; much of the fun in the Souls series comes from exploring and discovering things for yourself, so don't ruin the surprises for those of us who want to experience them firsthand! Discussion of builds, gameplay mechanics, and non-spoilery information probably doesn't require tags, but use your discretion.

That being said, welcome to Drangleic! :beer:

I started my build as a Swordsman (I also started as a Wanderer in DS), and picked the Life Ring as my starting gift. One interesting thing to note is that unlike DS, building a statistically balanced character really doesn't seem to be problematic. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've been leveling up almost everything (I thought I wanted to use sorceries, but now that I'm really going, I just don't feel like it; 5 points wasted :grr:), and things have been running pretty smoothly for me.

Two things I've noticed, only the first of which is confirmed:
1. Helping another player by being summoned to their world and defeating the boss/area (or by being banished back to your world), can result in having your humanity restored, along with refilling your Estus and repairing weapon/armor durability. I'm not positive, but I suspect that it occurs incrementally. In other words, if you died in your world three times, three successive co-op ventures (without dying in their world or yours) will result in your humanity being restored; two deaths is negated by two co-ops, etc. This is extremely helpful as it allows you to save your human effigies for when you really need them.

2. Burning human effigies in bonfires prevents invaders from entering the area... However, everytime I've done this, I have immediately seen all summon signs disappear. I don't know if this is coincidence or intentional, so be aware.

And in regards to an early boss fight:
Spoiler: show
If you're facing The Pursuer with allies, I advise taking the fight near the big crossbows. I did this fight a few times (once in my world, a few more times as a phantom), and I can't tell you how many people I saw die (and worse, how many times I was killed :grumble:) from friendly fire. With three people, this guy is a cakewalk, so you're much safer ignoring the crossbows altogether.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:10 am 

i am enjoying it so far but have not got too far, started as a knight and got up to
Pate
with my knight class but then tried a Sorcerer class and up to the same point but enjoying that class better, maybe because its more noob friendly, currently have 2 spells but only one slot but i am sure i will figure it out eventually, i love the challenge of the game and its very addictive

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:58 am 

Well, its exactly the same as the last one...who'd have thought?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:21 pm 

I'm exactly like you, Orphanizer: always picked Wanderer in Demon's and Dark, so I had to pick the Swordsman since it looked like the Wanderer.

Fair warning: Wanderer is brutal to start with. No shield (though I think only the warrior starts with one?), extremely low vigor (HP) and vitality (equip burden) and adaptability (agility, poise). Starts with a +1 scimitar but that's the only perk really. Still, for role-playing reasons, I had to. :)

I'm about 30 hours into the game, I think. Level 80 something (you seem to level up more quickly in this one) and killed about 11 bosses so far (don't click if you are not that far and don't want to know boss names!):

1- Giant
2- Pursuer
3- Old Dragonslayer
4- Dragonrider
5- Flexile Sentry
6- Skeleton Lords
7- Chariot
8- Three Sentinels
9- Gargoyles
10- Sinner
11- Rat King

I've solo'ed em all, except #9 in my list but it was kinda accidental... >_> See, in this place,
it's like Forest Covenant v2, you automatically get invaded and by more than one invader too, so I summoned a phantom to help me take them out. Only, the level is really short and once we killed them, we were pretty much already at the boss fog. I didn't know it was the boss, thought the level would continue and kept my phantom around in case of more invaders, but enter the mist and bam, boss. Oh well. I'll solo them in a next playthrough for sure. :)

Going for a dex build as usual, though there's a dearth of strong dex weapons early in the game... haven't found a single katana yet. :( Still using a falchion that I've upgraded at about +7 (quick and fast but poor reach) and a small bow (used the shortbow until I found another one that's not that much better, but hey) for ranged support. I also keep the fire longword you find at the beginning at +3 which still serves surprisingly well as backup, and I also briefly used a Heide knight sword (at +1) in the rare cases when both are at risk. Weapon durability works differently now: it auto-repairs at bonfire, except when it reaches 0 and is "broken", then you pay a hefty amount of souls at the blacksmith to repair it. Makes sense. And durability is low so except seeing the "at risk!" message often and keep a backup weapon on you at all times.

My favourite areas so far are No Man's Wharf and The Lost Bastille. They are pretty huge and very intricately designed, and exploration is immensely rewarding, tons of good loot and secret nooks and crannies, but also tons of hidden danger. Oh and the Pursuer was the hardest boss for me, or the one that took the most retries at least. I solo'ed him without the ballistas. I tried using them once but he just broke them, so I said fuck this and just meleed him like a pro. :P Everyone else, I got on my first or 2nd try. Ohhhh there's a boss in Heide's tower that will be a nice throwback to Dark Souls. If you see messages such as "revenge and then sadness", you'll understand why... xD (no spoilers!)

My tips (no actual spoilers, just small tips, but tagging just in case someone wants to go 100% blind):

• Take your time! I went in reaaaally slowly in No Man's Wharf, and didn't die once and pretty sure I found everything. Got the boss first try too. It was extremely rewarding to make it through that whole place alive.
  • Illusionary walls are now unveiled by pressing X (or A on the Xbox 360), not by hitting them. So if you see a message saying "illusionary wall", don't hit the wall: press X! Note that some walls can still be broken with a weapon, though, so do try hitting walls with your weapons if you suspect it's weak or crumbling. Or try to blow them up using oily barrels and firebombs...
  • Light every torch you find (sometimes I trek back to the bonfire just to bring back a torch after clearing the enemies) because while they're not necessarily needed to see (compared to in the network beta which was Tomb of the Giants-style...), they are still useful as beacons and landmarks, and in No Man's Wharf they are helpful against some enemies. Lit torches seem to remain lit indefinitely, so that's very useful. Don't worry about running out of torch "time", your timer increases when you find more torches and they are plentiful.
  • There's an early game covenant that actually makes the game harder and blocks coop (but probably not invasions!). Think before you join it... xD
  • Do not burn Human Effigies at the bonfire unless you want to block invasions and coop. I made that mistake once, instead of consuming the effigy as a normal item (think Stone of Ephemeral Eyes in Demon's Souls) to revert to human. Oops. Luckily they are not THAT rare, about as common as SoEE were in Demon's.
  • Do burn Sublime Bone Dust at the Majula bonfire. It makes your Estus recover more HP at all times. Yay!
  • Do not underestimate firebombs and throwing knives. Unlike in the past games where they're crap past the first area, these things are still useful later on, at least as far as I've gotten. It even helped significantly against some bosses, in my case.
  • Slide down ladders by HOLDING O (or B I guess) and the analog stick now. Tapping circle might make your character leap off the ladder, and if it's a long one, ouch... oh yeah, fall damage has been massively boosted now. I died several times underestimating the damage I'd take. No longer percentage based either it seems...? On the plus side, you can hurry UP a ladder by holding circle too now! (At the cost of stamina, but who cares.)
  • If you enter the coffin by the beach at the very beginning (tutorial area), make sure you remove your character's helmet now instead of going WTF later. ;)
  • Be warned: you cannot buy infinite titanite shards, at least not early on (haven't found an unlimited vendor yet). The initial vendor sells a limited amount, so use them wisely.
  • Dual wielding is a bit confusing, but from what I understood, you need: a) two weapons of the same type (e.g. two straight swords (short sword, longsword), two curved swords (scimitar, falchion), etc.) in each hand, and b) you must have 1.5x the stats required to dual wield (e.g. falchion is 9 str and 13 dex, so you need 14 str and 20 dex to dual wield two falchions). Once you have these requirements met, HOLD triangle to enter a "power stance", which unlocks a new moveset. Haven't really played with it yet, but I imagine you get some damage bonus from that stance.
  • You can now parry while two-handing, and two-hand the weapon in your left hand by holding triangle instead of tapping it (unless you're dual wielding, see above). Sweet!
  • You can now aim crossbows in first-person similarly to bows, and I hear you can even aim spells if you have the binoculars equipped in the opposite hand of your catalyst, haha.
  • Holding circle while you're locked on doesn't work like it used to! I died many times early on because of that. Your character will stop strafing around and even turn her back sometimes instead, it's a bit wonky but I guess I need to get used to it.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:39 pm 

Apparently, regaining humanity after a coop session is a bug (source). This game's gonna have problems when people start running out of effigies...

I'm about SL 75 so I'm starting to PVP. Did 2 invasions so far. First one would've gone well if the guy I was invading was reachable. Second one was easy but fun. Gonna start dueling to earn some more orbs.

edit: durr grammar

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:15 pm 

I've beat 1-5 and 8 on your boss list, Morri (8 can go to hell and die). I'm still relatively new to the Souls games (just beat DkS for the first time last week, never played DeS), so I've been summoning/being summoned frequently. Having loads of fun doing this; I wish I would've done it more frequently in the first game.

And now that I've completed
No Man's Wharf and found the sorcery merchant
, I've changed my mind about sorcery and will practice it more. :D

I'm about 26 hours in, around level 62. I'm praying that upgrade materials become easier to find/purchase later on, because I'm upgrading a few weapons and a few bits of armor, seeing as how quickly weapons wear down and I don't want to waste future repair powders or return to bonfires. I have a +1 Halberd, +2 shortbow, +5 Heide Knight Sword, +1 (or +2?) Flame Sword, +1 Mace, +2 Homunculus Mace (which is now retired. Really wish I would've been more careful with upgrades... :grumble:), and +1 Sorcerer's staff. So yeah, if titanite sold or easily farmable, I imagine I'll be fucked later on. :lol:

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:51 am 

I have almost beat the game and can confirm that a couple of the optional late game bosses are devil incarnate. The reward for beating them isn't even that great but I can't let myself down and not triumph against everything the game throws at me. If anyone else has fought:

Ancient Dragon and Darklurker

Any good tips on handling these guys? I'm borderline pulling hair out, due to these reasons:

Ancient Dragon's AoE fire attack is absurd; guaranteed one hit KO if you don't use Flash Sweat w/ high fire defense and HP, and it is extremely difficult to dodge. The closest bonfire is at the beginning of the level, so no quick transit. It's even worse with Dark Lurker: you have to run to the Pilgrims of Dark covenant from the Shaded Ruins bonfire, sacrifice a precious Human Effigy (on every attempt), traverse a dungeon with fairly difficult enemies you can't skip, and then fight a boss with insanely powerful magic attacks who splits in two halfway through the fight.

Ugh.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:55 am 

If you want non-stop (but completely unfair and sometimes hilarious) PvP, try the Bell Covenant. Equip the ring, then watch the non-stop invasions as you get tons and tons of chunks of Titanite. Ridiculous. :) Think I'll max out this covenant before switching to another, just to see what the best reward is (and to have enough chunks to experiment with any weapon I want).

Finally found a merchant that sells unlimited titanite shards and large shards. Phew. Took a while. Now maining an uchi+10 and I'm quite happy.

Other bosses down since last update:
Covetous Demon (lol? easiest boss ever, wtf was that)
Medusa (I forgot her name but she looked like Medusa, in the poison mill place)
Smelter Demon (fuck this guy! took me several tries, the hardest boss in the game so far I think, first real wall I hit other than Pursuers which gave me some trouble early on)
Old Iron King

Currently in the Shaded Woods. Hmph, that area is uh... kind of ugly, to be honest. Textures are bland and colours are very uninspired. Layout is neat though but it looks almost like a PS2 game. The game looks good otherwise, but that part, as well as Harvest Valley with its muddy washed out greys, look kinda crap, especially compared to the previous games (which is kind of weird). Maybe a rush job in graphics? The foggy area is From trolling at its best.
From: "Oh, you thought the hostile NPCs with fog rings were cheap in Dark Souls? You know, those you couldn't even lock on pre-patch and we patched it just because you babbies cried about it? Well, have fun with EVEN MORE INVISIBLE ENEMIES that BACKSTAB and SHOOT ARROWS at you and YOU CAN'T LOCK ON HAHAHA oh did I mention you can't see two feet in front of you due to the massive fog tee hee"

I'm amazed I only died once there (got OHKO backstabbed), and even managed to somehow find my bloodstain! :lol:

However, I must say this: the Shaded Woods gets kudos for having the most... unusual and bizarre NPC ever. Luckily, he appears quite friendly and helpful!

Fake edit: whoa, thrashfan, you're way ahead of me. I only have two lord souls so far... then again I did spend some time PvPing in the Bell for the lols Estus refills mid-level titanite chunks, so I'm lagging a bit I guess. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:32 am 

REgarding the graphics
*hint, it's actually Dark Souls 2*

Jokes aside, if an area looks bad, it's usually because a lack of proper lighting. From Software's next graphical challenge should probably be lighting a scene while still maintaining the illusion that it's a dark and spooky place.

Rocking a Fire Uchigatana +10, Black Knight Halberd +2, and occasionally a Lightning Zweihander +2 because it's badass. Working my way up the big road after doing the 4 Primals.

Does anyone know if a Blue Covenant member has to be human in order to be summoned?

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:11 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Currently in the Shaded Woods. Hmph, that area is uh... kind of ugly, to be honest. Textures are bland and colours are very uninspired. Layout is neat though but it looks almost like a PS2 game. The game looks good otherwise, but that part, as well as Harvest Valley with its muddy washed out greys, look kinda crap, especially compared to the previous games (which is kind of weird). Maybe a rush job in graphics? The foggy area is From trolling at its best.

I just got here yesterday (although since I haven't done as many bosses as you, I'm kinda thinking I'm here too early. :oh shit: Completely agreed about this place. As soon as I saw the blood stains and the environment, I was scared. Then I saw the first enemy and nearly shit bricks. :lol: And I thought the Lost Bastille was scary.

The graphics aren't too great here, as well as a few other places. Which reminds me: has From Software explained the graphical downgrade from pre-release versions? Not that it remotely impedes my enjoyment of the game, but I am curious, and nicer graphics are generally a plus.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:48 pm 

I've actually found the game to be really ugly in general, graphically. It's been a little while since I've played Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls, so I'm not sure if the difference is that it does look worse or if it was indeed the lightning. I'm also kind of surprised by how sluggish the game runs sometimes. Part of me wonders if they worked on the game with the PC in mind and then ported it to consoles or something.

That said, I've put about six hours into it so far and it's enjoyable enough, but I honestly think it's the worst in the series so far, which is a bit disappointing.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:57 am 

i have not been able to play as ling as i wanted so at the moment i am only up to the second boss, he is a bit of a pain because he moves so fast but beat the first boss first time and will eventually beat the second guy, i wonder how much easier it is not playing the game solo

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:34 pm 

I made a deprived, up to about 110 now, took a different route than most people and still don't have any katanas, but the black knight halberd is pretty fucking awesome. Kind of messed up building my stats to the point that it took a good day to farm up souls for 8 more strength so I could use the halberd efficiently. Sorceries and staves seem to be very hard to come across in this game, I only have the bone staff and a few spells like great magic weapon and great soul arrow that I'm using as support. The end of the new blight town type area was quite a bitch. EDIT: Forgot to mention that I just moved and still don't have internet so i've been playing in offline mode making the soul farming a lot harder/slower

And that stupid Giant rat is the hardest boss so far, fucking little guys keep hitting me with toxic and the big rat is really hard to avoid, plus kills me 1 hit most of the time

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:18 am 

I've only played for about an hour or so, but I'm already kind of turned off. The narrative intro was... stupid and heavy handed. Demon's and Dark 1's intros laid out something that involved the world and how it got to be that way. This just says... you're dead. You're going to go insane. Repeat over and over and over. Add cackling. Derp da derp a 12 year old writing fanfic could have written that. What was the thought process here? 'oh hey, I know, we'll take the most common criticism of our games - you just die over and over - and make it our story'?

The graphics look nice at times, but seriously... if we're going photo-realism here, don't just have character's mouths flap around randomly when speaking in a god damn CG intro video. The mo-cap and the character model just don't blend well with the surrounding environment, either. It's almost like I'm watching pre-rendered backgrounds with 90s CGI dancing around on top of it.

Someone please tell me it gets better. I put probably 500 hours into Demon's and DkS1, but I'm not going to play the same game without any interest whatsoever in the game world, plus a few annoyances with the visuals. Is anything from the first game addressed, or is it as if nothing ever happened?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:05 am 

Those are the silliest complaints I've ever seen, no offense. Who cares about the story? I never played those games for the story or dialogue, and those games have always been low budget with the characters's mouths usually not even moving. When they do it's probably matching Japanese text anyway. If that seriously affects your enjoyment of the game, you're playing the wrong games. Really.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:33 am 

what do you think of the gameplay?

so far i have defeated 2 bosses
the giant and a small rat
and having a lot of fun, not sure which boss i will fight next(got 3 to choose from) but its exciting to play and explore

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:54 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:

As you said, it's very exciting to discover new locations and explore and loot everything. I'm taking it really slow and searching everywhere, even spamming X in a bunch of places to check for illusory walls (and I would have missed some even, if not for player-left messages), dropping prism stones to see if I can drop in some place or not, etc. Some parts are brutal but with careful planning and strategy they are totally doable. For instance I heard a lot of bitching about a place called the Shrine of
Amana, but with a bow and careful sniping it was very manageable, and using the torch helps immensely against detecting the falls. I can imagine it's huge pain without any kind of ranged attacks, though. But there are many ways to get ranged attacks in this game even if you aren't a dex build; you can aim spells with binoculars, for instance, and you can manually aim crossbows. Throwing knives are also very decent damage-wise, and the poison ones are pretty good.

Quote:
and having a lot of fun, not sure which boss i will fight next(got 3 to choose from) but its exciting to play and explore

You already defeated the Rat Vanguard without any other boss except the Last Giant? Holy shit, that's impressive. He's pretty tough even at higher levels. Most people wait a long time before dropping down that well. Good job!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:46 am 

Morrigan wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

As you said, it's very exciting to discover new locations and explore and loot everything. I'm taking it really slow and searching everywhere, even spamming X in a bunch of places to check for illusory walls (and I would have missed some even, if not for player-left messages), dropping prism stones to see if I can drop in some place or not, etc. Some parts are brutal but with careful planning and strategy they are totally doable. For instance I heard a lot of bitching about a place called the Shrine of
Amana, but with a bow and careful sniping it was very manageable, and using the torch helps immensely against detecting the falls. I can imagine it's huge pain without any kind of ranged attacks, though. But there are many ways to get ranged attacks in this game even if you aren't a dex build; you can aim spells with binoculars, for instance, and you can manually aim crossbows. Throwing knives are also very decent damage-wise, and the poison ones are pretty good.

Quote:

You already defeated the Rat Vanguard without any other boss except the Last Giant? Holy shit, that's impressive. He's pretty tough even at higher levels. Most people wait a long time before dropping down that well. Good job!

thank you, i am actually having problems with the
Old Dragonslayer
i have fought him about 5 times and was within 1 hit of killing him twice so very frustrating but i will get there and boss battles get the heart racing, i just got up to
no man's wharf
which looks like fun so far i love the locations in this game apart from
the gutter
which i dont like because its too dark and just uninteresting plus those enemies that shoot poison at you and the main enemies i hate at the rats and the
Exploding Hollows which killed me as soon as i fell down the pit

the
Rat Vanguard
was a pain because i am currently playing as a sorcerer and it takes 3 soul arrow spells to kill a rat and
there are so many rat in that room
so that took me about 3 attempts
also whisper of despair doesnt seem to do anything from what i have tried
its the kind of game which is easy to lose time in, i been putting for doing assignments just to play more Dark Souls 2, the
Dragonrider
was very easy though but i did fight it at about level 50, i am not sure if i needed so many spoiler tags since its very early in the game but i thought it was best to be safe

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:46 am 

:lol: Nice job with those spoilers!

Seriously, you're a madman going for the rats. I'm level 75 ish and I got my ass kicked, and I beat a bunch of other bosses first; then again, I am pretty terrible.

Still in the Shaded Woods because I didn't play yesterday. But I beat the boss, and wandered a bit into the Doors of Pharros. I only grabbed some loot and left because I'm a pansy.

No work today, so I'm going to be extremely productive... with Dark Souls 2. :evil:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:28 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
:lol: Nice job with those spoilers!

Seriously, you're a madman going for the rats. I'm level 75 ish and I got my ass kicked, and I beat a bunch of other bosses first; then again, I am pretty terrible.

Still in the Shaded Woods because I didn't play yesterday. But I beat the boss, and wandered a bit into the Doors of Pharros. I only grabbed some loot and left because I'm a pansy.

No work today, so I'm going to be extremely productive... with Dark Souls 2. :evil:

lol i was pretty sure i wouldnt spoil anything but i just wanted to make sure, honestly i was stuck against
The Pursuer
who i am still yet to beat and i didnt know what to do in terms of the statue blocking the way and i didnt want to go fight those knights again near the tower so when going down there i didnt know what i was up against but i found it easier than i did against the knights so i thought i would continue down there

the only bosses i have had problems with is the
Old Dragonslayer and The Pursuer
i seem to struggle against bosses that have fast moves, also depending on the class your playing some bits will be easier than others depending on the enemies, so maybe the rat area is easier on sorcerers, i also dont know why
those pigs in Majula
have so much HP and can do so much damage

and at the moment there is nothing better than having a productive day of dark souls 2

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:01 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
the only bosses i have had problems with is the
Old Dragonslayer and The Pursuer
i seem to struggle against bosses that have fast moves, also depending on the class your playing some bits will be easier than others depending on the enemies, so maybe the rat area is easier on sorcerers, i also dont know why
those pigs in Majula
have so much HP and can do so much damage

For the Old Dragonslayer, try staying close, strafing behind him and hitting him in the back after he attacks. He went down really easily for me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:50 pm 

lol, no need to spoiler tag each individual word :ugh: If we had spoiler tags like on NeoGAF it might work (it just blacks out the tagged part) but with our format here it's kind of annoying to click and read. Just spoiler-tag blocks with a preface of what it spoils (e.g. "[early game spoilers]", "wharf area spoilers"] etc.).

For the Gutter, use torches. And light every beacon. Then it won't be so dark and far more manageable. The area after the Gutter is far, far worse. From trolling at its best. ;) Luckily the boss is a total pushover.

In fact, many places I found the boss really easy compared to the harsh and difficult area that preceded it. Examples (mild mid-to-late game spoilers):
- The Gutter + Black Gulch. That place is terrifying. Black Gulch is so trolly with all the poison statues EVERYWHERE and claws that jump out of tar pits to grab you. The boss? He's like a mix of Leechmonger and Dirty Colossus from Demon's Souls, e.g. slow and easy. Hah.
- Drangleic Castle is pretty brutal, lots of very strong enemies (there's a room there, OMFG ARE YOU KIDDING ME... shortly after the first bonfire. Haha. But the boss was pathetic, got him on my first try. Those horse statues in the King's Passage actually killed me at least once, they were harder than the boss. xD
- Shrine of Amana is dangerous. Lots of obscure falls (you need the torch to navigate and see them easily) and annoying mages with homing light balls. A bow made it manageable, but it must be hell without ranged attacks. I fell at least once, and had to be super prudent and careful after that. The boss? Piece of cake. What gives?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:33 pm 

thank you VoidOfEternity i am a sorcerer so i dont think hitting would help too much but i will use that strategy when i use a knight or solider and for positioning i could do the same but just attack him with spells instead of hitting him thank you

lol i will lose spoiler tags more sparingly i was planning to explore that area but i am much more interested in exploring literally anywhere else in the game more though i will have to explore it at some point so thank you for the tips the torches looked very important at that point and lucky since i am a sorcerer having the torch out doesnt effect combat for me so its not too daunting the things i hate the most are the poison statues i dont mind poision creatures you can kill them but poison statues are not fun especially because the majority of the time you cant see where they are coming from

i am curious what level did people beat the first 4 bosses at? i am just curious i beat the
giant around level 25, the rat vanguard around 40 and the Dragonrider i beat around level 59
i am just curious because i am wondering when people beat the peruser i think if you play the game conventionally that boss should be the 2nd boss but i still have not beat it at level 62(i am coming for it very soon though), also as long as the game doesnt have too many cheap parts then i am happy because its an amazing game when its not being cheap

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:26 pm 

Hey Morrigan, just curious what your current stats are? Are you going dex/int? I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting 40 in both dex and int and if adp is even worth it at all? I respecced, but still not really sure where I want to go with my stats. I read that you need 60 int to get the maximum benefit of some spells and some of them have 50+ requirement just to use which is pretty crazy. I find it kind of strange that some other stats seem to stop being worth it after 20 while spells take up to 60 in a stat to reach their full potential. Maybe a build with the black knight halberd and just enough str/dex to wield it then a ton of int/vgr would be a good way to go, I can't decide. Any thoughts?

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:02 pm 

I've been considering getting this game and I'm wondering, is it better experienced on a console or PC? Guild Wars 2 is great and all, but it's just so easy. I need something a bit more challenging.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:32 pm 

In terms of gameplay, it doesn't matter. Souls games are played with controllers and we have no idea how good the M+KB support will be for DS2 on PC. I did read that DS2 was developed for PC first and ported to consoles, which makes me hopeful that we'll see that sexy dynamic lighting system they showed off in previous demonstrations of the game.

About half way done with Lost Bastille on NG+. For me, NG+ been easy going so far, but I think I'm going to hold off on doing the Primal boss for a while anyway. :P I'm more concerned with looking for stuff I didn't find on my first playthrough.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:55 am 

[late game spoilers]
It was so refreshing to see that gorgeous scenery after going through that horrible Resident Evil-like mansion, haha. Aldia's Keep was super creepy, with all those caged monstrosities and acid pools and ugh. The caged dragon was kind of easy though. But it's gonna be hard to compare to Kalameet. :P
I'm at the Dragon Aerie now, this place is very pretty. But now I'm seeing the worst version of those exploding assholes; acid ones. Are you kidding me? Haha. And that Navlaan Royal sorcerer sure is an asshole. He invaded me while I was fighting a drake, I had no chance. I returned there and sniped the drake with poison arrows like a coward, then the invader was cake. :P
According to the bonfire map, I have very few left now. I killed the duo at the Throne of Want, but it seemed like a dead end? I also returned to the Forest of Giant but those trees are still dormant. I'm guessing I'll get whatever I need at the end of the Aerie. I didn't dare attack King Vendrick yet, a message said "need giant, therefore, weakness: giant". So I'm guessing this has to do with the dormant trees where "nothing happens".

Sick6Six wrote:
Hey Morrigan, just curious what your current stats are? Are you going dex/int? I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting 40 in both dex and int and if adp is even worth it at all? I respecced, but still not really sure where I want to go with my stats. I read that you need 60 int to get the maximum benefit of some spells and some of them have 50+ requirement just to use which is pretty crazy. I find it kind of strange that some other stats seem to stop being worth it after 20 while spells take up to 60 in a stat to reach their full potential. Maybe a build with the black knight halberd and just enough str/dex to wield it then a ton of int/vgr would be a good way to go, I can't decide. Any thoughts?

Pure dex for now, with some slight attunement for pyros. Firestorm pretty OP on some bosses, hah.

I have no idea about int for the moment, to be honest. I'm still using katanas. Got three different ones, all maxed out (uchi, blacksteel, manslayer -- the poison is very nice against the enemies where I'm at).

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:15 am 

Thanks for the info, I still have yet to use a pyromancy! I think i've killed almost every boss except the last one or 2 I need to get to the "katana area" I could probably craft one with a boss soul at this point but haven't really looked into what souls make what. I did end up respeccing a second time last night and immediately went and owned Freja and tested it out a bit more and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Went with 30 Vgr, 25 end (apparently you get an extra roll going from 20-25 end), 20 vit, 17 str/26 dex (just enough for BKH) still using that light leather shield with great magic defense. got int to 25 and left adp/faith at 6. The halberd owns in 2H mode and can be used while blocking, it's a pretty sick weapon if you haven't given it a try. I'm probably going to finish this playthru slowly and then start a new character and try to beat the whole game in the chamipions (hard mode) covenant. I did the first part of the game like that without even realizing what that covenant did!

Did you find those 2 giants under the Rotten boss in black gulch? They seem impossible, I'm curious if anyone has killed them yet

My friend who's never played a souls game came over and tried it last night. He died by running off a cliff within 10 seconds of starting, then challenged the ogre with no weapons/class and died, then attacked the witches and got killed by them twice... we were laughing our asses off and I was like OK maybe this game is too much for you, but then he made it to the fire tower and was actually farming the big knights without a problem, I was kind of impressed since he was still sitting at base knight stats. It was interesting seeing someone who's never played just take a completely different route than most people. I told him you should probably go into the easy forest first, but he wasn't having it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:04 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Did you find those 2 giants under the Rotten boss in black gulch? They seem impossible, I'm curious if anyone has killed them yet

Yup. I squealed like a little cowardly girl when I saw them almost destroy me, tried a few pyros but they still wouldn't die and I ran out of casts, so I ran away to a cave and finished them off with my bow. :D You find a really cool secret in that cave. Worth going.

Quote:
My friend who's never played a souls game came over and tried it last night. He died by running off a cliff within 10 seconds of starting, then challenged the ogre with no weapons/class and died, then attacked the witches and got killed by them twice... we were laughing our asses off and I was like OK maybe this game is too much for you, but then he made it to the fire tower and was actually farming the big knights without a problem, I was kind of impressed since he was still sitting at base knight stats. It was interesting seeing someone who's never played just take a completely different route than most people. I told him you should probably go into the easy forest first, but he wasn't having it.

Hahahaha, shit, that's funny. Why would he attack the old women... lol xD I did die by falling off a cliff within a minute too, though. :lol: In my defense, there was sun glare in my screen and I was trying to ferret out secrets, and then plunged into an abyss. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:11 pm 

Without giving away anything major, how does the plot compare to Dark Souls the first? Really enjoyed how it managed to be minimal but compelling at the same time.

Morrigan wrote:
Why would he attack the old women... lol xD I did die by falling off a cliff within a minute too, though. :lol: In my defense, there was sun glare in my screen and I was trying to ferret out secrets, and then plunged into an abyss. :lol:

I'm guessing the old women are plot-important characters...To be honest, I came very close to attacking Andrej the Blacksmith after the rewards for killing the male Undead Merchant, haha. I think certain people enjoy fucking with important npcs in open world games as I would often do in Skyrim, then just reload, but as newbies they don't realize that Dark Souls NPCs won't exactly sit back and take it.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:42 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Hahahaha, shit, that's funny. Why would he attack the old women... lol xD I did die by falling off a cliff within a minute too, though. :lol: In my defense, there was sun glare in my screen and I was trying to ferret out secrets, and then plunged into an abyss. :lol:
He just started a game on my console to check it out and mess around, turns out he went home and played DS1 on his PC all night and is hooked now. He's one of those lonely PC master race guys in a world where all his friends use PS3, but he gets a few more FPS so it's worth it!

Speaking of glare I have a Plasma TV and too many windows (including one in my roof) and during the day it's like looking into a mirror, almost unplayable. Considering buying a new TV at this point... Even with a torch out I can barely see sometimes.

BTW there's a spell that takes 64 int to use and people say it's way broken and OP, like 1 shot killing everything. Sounds like magic is already in need of a nerf because any other stat would be totally pointless to have that high.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:00 pm 

i killed Merchant Hag Melentia just because i wanted the ring has and some extra souls i am just hoping she is not important later on for a sorcerer but i seriously doubt she is, its interesting to watch how new players tackle the game because most people will go to the forest of the fallen giants first but its interesting to see where they will go and what they will do when they dont have any knowledge of the game whatsoever so i really enjoy watching blind runs on youtube(only watch them to the point i am up to as i dont want to ruin anything)

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:43 pm 

Holy shit, I have to try this when I get the chance.

Drangleic Castle PVP spoilers
I heard that if you use a Red Soapstone or Cracked Red Eye Orb in the King's Passage, the Looking Glass Knight will summon you through his shield.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:52 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:
i killed Merchant Hag Melentia just because i wanted the ring has and some extra souls i am just hoping she is not important later on for a sorcerer but i seriously doubt she is, its interesting to watch how new players tackle the game because most people will go to the forest of the fallen giants first but its interesting to see where they will go and what they will do when they dont have any knowledge of the game whatsoever so i really enjoy watching blind runs on youtube(only watch them to the point i am up to as i dont want to ruin anything)

Uhh what ring does she drop? She's the only source of unlimited lifegems and she sells very useful supplies, I really wouldn't kill her...

So uh, that Ancient Dragon...
Got OHKO'd by his fire lol. XD Hope it wasn't a mistake to attack it... I thought he might be like the Everlasting Dragon in Dark Souls, but nope. This one gets angry.

And holy shit the enemies before him are annoying. :\ Might have to drive them to extinction, cause I have a feeling I'll be running those stairs often... Tried to speed run past them but they removed the invincibility when entering the fog, so they murdered the shit out of me before I could even retry.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:11 am 

Wanted to avoid any spoilers so I'm just blindly replying.

Started off as a Sorceror. I always started off as a magic user in the Souls games. Royal in Demon's Souls. Pyromancer in Dark Souls and I love the hand axe weapon so I absolutely had to.

Really brutal start with no kind of melee stats or shield to use.

Now I'm in the 40s for Soul level with high attunement and intelligence, just enough Str and Dex for the longsword and enough vit and end to barely survive. If I find a sword I like it'll be a spellsword build. Until then, my focus is on magic.

So far my hardest boss fight was
Belfry Gargoyles. OMG 6 of them? :O
I died like 10 times and could only take 2 hits. I eventually got them by
turtling with a large leather shield and circling the area and firing off Soul Arrows. Great Heavy Soul arrow if I had time for more damage. But it the crowd control for 4 Gargoyles at a time was really tough.

What I'm truly hoping for is even though my magic will eventually be devastating, I want the game to stay hard. I can now wipe out enemies safely at a distance with Soul Arrows but I want the game to punish me for my cowardice :)

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 am 

Morrigan wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

Uhh what ring does she drop? She's the only source of unlimited lifegems and she sells very useful supplies, I really wouldn't kill her...

Got OHKO'd by his fire lol. XD Hope it wasn't a mistake to attack it... I thought he might be like the Everlasting Dragon in Dark Souls, but nope. This one gets angry.

And holy shit the enemies before him are annoying. :\ Might have to drive them to extinction, cause I have a feeling I'll be running those stairs often... Tried to speed run past them but they removed the invincibility when entering the fog, so they murdered the shit out of me before I could even retry.

sounds like i made a massive mistake, ah well its all part of the fun of the game she drops the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring + 1 she gives it to a player after they spend 10,000 souls with her so maybe i could have just done that but i didnt expect her to be the only source of unlimited lifegems, for some reason i can donate souls to her grave(i think its 4000 or so) so i might try that and see what happens

i finally beat the persurer after around 20 attempts, no boss has been more difficult or frustrating but i know a lot of people found him easier than i did i dont know why i had so many problems with him but i am so glad i finally beat him also i love lightning spear that attack really helped me with this boss

i actually offered 4000 souls to her grave and now her grave seems to sell me her inventory but i am unsure if anything else changes apart from the fact that i seem to be speaking to a grave the entire time because when ever i talk to her gave its her voice and the same options come up

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:37 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Is that the area opposite the last giant with the fire frogs? Wandered down there a few days ago and those things are ridiculous.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:54 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
sounds like i made a massive mistake, ah well its all part of the fun of the game she drops the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring + 1 she gives it to a player after they spend 10,000 souls with her so maybe i could have just done that but i didnt expect her to be the only source of unlimited lifegems, for some reason i can donate souls to her grave(i think its 4000 or so) so i might try that and see what happens

You can get that ring later in the game. Definitely not worth killing her for, I'd say. Oh well, if you can use her grave now... lol

Sick6Six wrote:
Is that the area opposite the last giant with the fire frogs? Wandered down there a few days ago and those things are ridiculous.

Nope, completely different area. But yes, those fire salamanders are insanely hard. Poison arrows FTW.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:04 pm 

Glad I still have a ways to go even though I've done so much. I'm thinking this game has more content than DS1 for sure. I'm going to reroll a (cleric) tonight and go str/faith for something completely different.

Last edited by Sick6Six on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:05 pm 

NG+ in a nutshell
Surprise, motherfucker!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next