Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:09 am 

So whats the general view of this album? Personally, its my second favourite after Litany.
I get that some were initially a little disappointed with it as it doesn't have that same wrecking ball to the face attack that Litany has. LItany was Vader's Reign In Blood and Revelations was more or less their South Of Heaven, another album which was met with disappointment back in the day. Overall, its darker and more mid-paced but still has A-grade ball tearers like Whisper, When Darkness Calls and Torch Of War. The reviews on MA are all favourable but you hardly ever hear it mentioned when a Vader discussion comes up.
Plus it was the last full-length to feature Doc, who will always be my favourite extreme metal drummer.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:54 am 

Revelations was the first Vader album I encountered, picking it up second hand, blindly. It still ranks among my favourites - almost certainly above Litany, for me. The sheer driving force of tracks like "The Code" and the swagger of many of the others is what won me over to Vader in the first place, even if it took me a long time to listen to the tracks enough for them to be absorbed. I enjoy the fact that it's more open, thrashy and at times restrained, as opposed to finding it a flaw. Nonetheless, It was quite an difficult record to digest, especially as one of my first properly intense death metal albums, but time taken listening to it again and again paid off.

I reckon I'll listen to it, and Litany just now; been neglecting Vader a little recently.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:33 pm 

It's one of the albums that I listen to the most, other than the recent stuff.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:32 pm 

LIke most of their discography until recently, it's a pretty solid album. I really miss Doc; he was indeed an amazing drummer and the principle reason I kept listening to Vader after they became a bit less wild and cleaner with Black to the Blind. Yeah, Litany is a really intense album in its way but it's got nothing on De profundis as far as I'm concerned. still though....
ANyway, maybe it's time to give Revelations a spin here, too.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:34 pm 

It's actually a strong and very interesting album in my book. Sure it got some flack because it came after the blitzkrieg that was Litany, and also because it was were Vader starting reusing some riffs and all, but it's a very well conceived album in the end. I really like the groovier way the guitars work, and "Revelation Of Black Moses" is one hell of a mid-paced brute!

I think it's one of those albums people usually shun off at first but that is actually much better than expected with repeated spins.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:52 pm 

I think most backlash that I've heard was many the people complaining it wasn't Litany Pt. II. I think it was a nice diverse album. Kinda showing they can do more than just fast and fast. Not that they needed to if you are already familiar with the band. Overall I don't revisit as much as I should usually I'm pulling out older albums mainly Litany on backwards. I don't spend as much time with anything later though I do give it all a fair shake. I think it's a good album overall.

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:59 pm 

Revelations is a solid Vader release, and a repeat listen track is Revelation of Black Moses.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:27 pm 

It was the album that made Vader one of my favourite bands and is still my favourite by them (or him, rather, I guess) next to Welcome to the Morbid Reich and The Art of War. I think the whole thing is very consistent and has many memorable tracks such as The Epitaph with its massive opening feel, Nomad with that catchy as fuck galloping riff, Whisper when Nergal breaks in during that awesome riff, Torch of War for the insane thrash-like break that is impossible not to headbang to and the huge, epic closer of Revelation of Black Moses, a song I wish Peter would write some more of.

I'd say Revelations is about as good as you can get with Vader, and shows off all their different flares perfectly.

Lord_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:29 am 

Like a previous comment, Revelations was also my first Vader album. I also picked it up blindly and it definitely ranks as one of, if not my favourate album by them.

Favourate songs are We Are The Wolftribe and Revelations Of A Black Moses.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:37 pm 

It's a bad-ass album, like most of theirs. As soon as Epitaph is on I can't resist putting on my metal grimace and get a strong desire to flick someone off. Good tone too.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:58 pm 

BreedingtheSpawn wrote:
Revelations is a solid Vader release, and a repeat listen track is Revelation of Black Moses.

I really like the solos on that track. That is why I play it more than any other song on that album.

"Revelations" is a damn solid album but I play most of their other albums more. After "Litany" it felt like they took their foot off the gas-pedal a little bit with "Revelations".

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 am 

I think its also the most dynamic Vader album without sounding even slightly disjointed. Slow, mid-paced, thrashouts and blastathons.....its all there and the quality is high throughout.
The Beast in many ways, seems like they tried to push the dynamics further but with lesser results. A good album, but my least favourite for sure.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:19 pm 

After their Necrolust and Morbid Reich demos, I would actually probably rank this as the Vader release that I listen to the most. I enjoy the variety and the fact that they slowed things down a bit. Makes for a much more memorable listen than some of their other full-lengths in my opinion.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:07 pm 

Kind of had no choice but to slow down after litany I think. bar one or two tracks, that album is blindingly fast.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:57 am 

Indeed. Besides Xeper and the first half of The Calling, its KA BLAMO!!!!!! all the way through.
Keeping with the Litany/Revelations period, two other outstanding songs are Reign Forever World and Privilege Of The Gods, especially the later. That song is just crushing.

rexxz wrote:

Reply to topic