Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:25 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I think I'd avoided it for all this time thinking it was just mass product, bland stuff, but I ended up having a bottle a month or so ago and was surprised by how nice it was.... Nicely rounded flavor, none of that dive bar piss.

Reading this was pretty funny to me because in the UK/Ireland it is seen as a low-quality, low-class beer, the kind of piss old middle aged men drink in real shit-hole bars. But if you like it, who cares haha.

Also, if a barman can't pour a Guinness properly he shouldn't be working in a bar that sells Guinness.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:56 pm 

Tried two pretty good local beer today.

La Vache Folle (the insane cow in English) from Microbraserie Charlevoix. It's described as an Imperial Milk Stout, very strong (9%) but it doesn't that strong. It has a strong bitter chocolate and milk taste, very damn good.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2807/35275/

La Chose (the thing) from Trou du Diable, a very hazy brown beer with a strong alcool percentage (9,5%). Damn this was strong but quite tasty. Trou du Diable is one of the best microbrewery out of Montréal and I've never been disappointed by their products.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:53 am 

Okay... so about a week or so ago I went to a "Big Bad Belgians" beer tasting, with five highly regarded (and godly) heavy Belgian beers, and oh my, what an evening that turned out to be. The whole tasting cost both the missus and I $45 each and an introduction to a rather well known beer collector, who talked us through the beers, and chatted with us about them throughout the night. While there was five beers for tasting, and generous servings I might add, he would occasionally drop an extra glass or two on peoples tables, and, all the beers on offer were also on tap at the bar. All of these heavenly, delicious brews started at 9% so, as you can imagine by the end of the night, I was in a rather... erm "glowing" mood. This is what we had:

Avec les Bons Voeux

Christ. What an opener. This was a deliriously good, blond 9% (saison hopped I think?) brew. The nose was fantastic - full of wonderful complex aromas, and whetted the palate immediately, with hints of fruit, but with a subtle bitterness. Just bloody amazing. Bottle conditioned and apparently great for cellaring.

De Dochter Van de Korenaar Embrasse

Another great brew, though very different in body and taste (naturally). This is a long maturer, and kept in peated whisky casks for that little extra. It had more of a carbonation fizz to it upon first taste, and big hop domination, with a deep beautiful dark colour. Not my favourite of the night, but damn good regardless.

La Trappe Quadrupel oak aged

I LOVE this beer - the normal version (10%) is my outright favourite beer in the world right now, with it's wonderfully thick, aromatic scent and flavour, and exceptional aftertaste. Outstanding.

Troubadour Westkust

I think they were calling this a dark IPA (9.2%), as it did have a very large hop presence that lingered well after the roasted coffee, spiced with a hint of vanilla aftertaste. Very, very, very tasty.

Gulden Draak

This was my very first tasting of this renowned beer, not sure why I haven't bought any of really because it's remarkably good! This lives up to it's reputation as a dessert beer (10.2%), due to the sticky, heavy sweetness (but in a good way for these tastebuds) and slight carbonation. By this stage I had had quite a few heavy beers, but it didn't stop me from buying two more of these.

Needless to say, I didn't go in to work at 6am the next day after this event, but luckily it was my day off anyway :grin:

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:08 pm 

Very jealous. Out of those five I've only had the Gulden Draak and La Trappe.

Now that I've got a job again and my birthday's next week, maybe there's some beer purchasing in my future...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:32 pm 

Yes. That Quadrupel is fucking awesome. I tried their Tripel right after it, and was basically about to send it back. Failed me so hard.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:39 pm 

Yep, the La Trappe is really something else. I actually still have a bottle of the oak aged version in the fridge that I bought last October. Just waiting for the right time to open it...

I would love to buy a couple of bottles of the Dupont Bons Vouex. It's SUCH a great beer.

My collection

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:20 am 

Had a Hogsback oatmeal bacon stout at the tavern tonight. I was initially kind of skeptical of the whole bacon flavouring, but figured if it would work with any beer it would be with a stout. Didn't end up being very intrusive, more a subtle aftertaste than anything. A bit bitter, but not too much so. Not one of the best stouts I've had or anything but still enjoyable.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:06 am 

Never liked to believe in all this marketing crap but I was at some classy food fair with a bunch of famous restaurants and chefs and while I was buying some pork short-ribs, the server kept insisting that it would go great with HPL, Harry's Premium Lager (I think). What the heck, I gave it a try and fuck that stupid watery boring excuse for a beer. Plain water would have gone better with the ribs, which were exquisite.

The liquor store at my place now sells tall-cans of Erdinger Weissbier, wooohoo.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:39 am 

Downing a bomber of Sierra Nevada northern hemisphere harvest ale as we speak. Goddamn it's good stuff. Bought the local bottle shop dry of their shipment this month :grin:

My collection

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:04 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Avec les Bons Voeux

Christ. What an opener. This was a deliriously good, blond 9% (saison hopped I think?) brew. The nose was fantastic - full of wonderful complex aromas, and whetted the palate immediately, with hints of fruit, but with a subtle bitterness. Just bloody amazing. Bottle conditioned and apparently great for cellaring.

De Dochter Van de Korenaar Embrasse

Another great brew, though very different in body and taste (naturally). This is a long maturer, and kept in peated whisky casks for that little extra. It had more of a carbonation fizz to it upon first taste, and big hop domination, with a deep beautiful dark colour. Not my favourite of the night, but damn good regardless.

La Trappe Quadrupel oak aged

I LOVE this beer - the normal version (10%) is my outright favourite beer in the world right now, with it's wonderfully thick, aromatic scent and flavour, and exceptional aftertaste. Outstanding.

Troubadour Westkust

Gulden Draak

This was my very first tasting of this renowned beer, not sure why I haven't bought any of really because it's remarkably good! This lives up to it's reputation as a dessert beer (10.2%), due to the sticky, heavy sweetness (but in a good way for these tastebuds) and slight carbonation. By this stage I had had quite a few heavy beers, but it didn't stop me from buying two more of these.

Good beers those. I'm especially fond of the Dupont. An excellent sipper and good with food while the regular one is a good sipper but excellent with food. Bons Voeux is a bit too strong in flavor and ABV to let the food really shine as the regular one is wont to do. La Trappe's Quadrupel is good, but the oak-aged versions are really great and getting to compare different batches with each other is rather interesting though finding the differences is rather difficult. Embrasse is great as well though not my favorite from Korenaar - an excellent brewery that. L’Enfant Terrible is my favorite with the superb sourness that really gets to your teeth. Westkust and Gulden Draak are alright, but not really my favorites. They don't really provide the bang that makes it worth drinking such heavy beers, and well, BIPA isn't really a style I like anyway.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:47 am 

Tried the Fireman's Brew Dopplebock a few days ago. Excellent lager with chocolate flavors that lend a touch of sweetness but more bitterness, as opposed to the overpowering chocolate flavors in pretty much every other non-bock chocolate beer I've tried. I love Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, but you can only get that in their seasonal winter packs, so this FB is an excellent replacement.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:54 pm 

So, Dogfish Head has finally come back to Wisconsin. I picked up their 90 Minute IPA and Midas Touch, and I'll be indulging in both tonight. Hopefully the hype is real.
Death metal is eternal.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:24 pm 

I haven't had Midas Touch yet but the 90 Minute is indeed worthy of its praise. Would I put it in a personal top 10 of IPA's? Ehhh, I waver on that too much to say with absolute certainty one way or the other but depending on what you typically look for in that style, it might make yours. Still need to get the DFH signature glass too at some point.

Seeing as how you're in Wisconsin I'll ask, how is New Glarus Spotted Cow? I'm not very familiar with cream ales to begin with but their name's been tossed around as must-try nevertheless.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:34 pm 

Midas Touch is definitely a once-in-a-while sipper. Very sweet, cloying beer, but the flavor profile is too unique and compelling to say no to. 90 Minute is absolutely deserving of all of the hype. Fucking phenomenal beer.

Spotted Cow is...meh. Too carbonated for the style, if you ask me. If you can get your hands on New Glarus stuff, the first things you should try are anything fruit-related (i.e. Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Belgian Red). Their alt also was brilliant but sadly they don't make it anymore.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:41 pm 

The 90 Minute is great so far. Really smooth, almost toasty flavor. I'm wondering where they're hiding the 9% alcohol level. Spotted Cow is a fine beer, but keep in mind that New Glarus is a staple where I come from so I may be bias. It's one of those "Yeah, I guess I'll have a beer" drinks when you go out to dinner with friends. Definitely a good go-to beer, but like iamntbatman said, try some of there more adventurous brews if you can.
Death metal is eternal.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:25 am 

Took a trip to Milkhouse Brewery here in Maryland today. They're a new micro (nano, really) brewery on a farm using ingredients grown on their own farm. Had a tasty American Pale Ale, a very piney, delicious IPA (only 6.2%, too, so very sessionable for such a hoppy beer), a good Irish dry stout (tried on both CO2 and nitro...nitro won that particular battle) and my two favorites, an easy-drinking "petite" saison that you could put back like water yet had a well-balanced peppery, slightly funky yeastiness I expect in the style as a phenomenal bitter that I will definitely be going back for. Can't wait for this place to start taking off a bit and start bottling up their full lineup.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:45 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Tried the Fireman's Brew Dopplebock a few days ago. Excellent lager with chocolate flavors that lend a touch of sweetness but more bitterness, as opposed to the overpowering chocolate flavors in pretty much every other non-bock chocolate beer I've tried. I love Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, but you can only get that in their seasonal winter packs, so this FB is an excellent replacement.

That sounds amazing. I'm a huge bock fan and it's a shame that so few US breweries even attempt lagers. What do you think about the Sam Adams Winter Lager?

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:25 pm 

It's good, it's a very nice spicy dark lager with some wheat flavor but not too much. Personally I want to see some American dunkel lagers since I'm a fan of the style, the only dunkels I can get here without ordering online and paying massive shipping charges are Hofbrau, Krombacher, Czechvar (meh), Beck's (fuck that shit), and occasionally Warsteiner.

Although if a brewery tries that style they should do it right and use European hop varieties, not American ones.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:33 am 

Tonight's menu is two Feral Brewing co beers, namely the Hop Hog IPA, and the Sly Fox golden which are both delicious really. Exceptional beer from a wonderful, yet small company.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:04 pm 

Last night I had some Mukoka Brewery Twice as Mad Tom DIPA that my brother smuggled back for me from the land of hockey and poutine. Delicious, nicely balanced DIPA - the pine-centric hops were up front but not brutal, then a huge, chunky almost sweet malt dominates, with the raw hops bitterness coming through on the finish. The hops coming in waves like that really gave a good opportunity to appreciate just how robust the malt has to be in an IPA of this size in order for the beer to taste like anything other than pure hops extract mixed with a bit of water. Too bad I can't get this stuff 'round here.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:30 pm 

Funny you mention that because I'm drinking Blue Pants Amber Waders lager and it tastes like Pine-Sol diluted in water with maybe a splash of Samuel Adams. Would it have killed them to use noble hops or something similar instead of over-the-top IPA hops?

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 am 

The hop hog is a rather nice one. It's a bit of a Sierra Nevada Torpedo rip off IMO, but that's fine because that's a delicious beer too.

Currently have a carton of "bronx pale ale" because it was relatively cheap at dan murphys. In a 473 mill can, quite tasty, not really sure how to describe it- it's rather hoppy but not in that real IPA way, and it's mellowed out by all these rather nicely done malts. If anyone's had the Kiwi Pale Ale (and I'm guessing most of you haven't) then it's a lot like that, just a bit maltier. Almost a bit of a caramel-y, biscuity aftertaste after all the citrus/pine stuff that hits first up. All up a very pleasing drink.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 pm 

Had a Hopocalypse for the first time yesterday. Great beer, with an almost citrusy aftertaste. Will definitely have to buy it again sometime.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:18 pm 

I just had Stone's Enjoy By less than 2 weeks after it was brewed, and god damn, that is one of the best if not the best IPA I have ever had. Maybe it was just because it was so fresh, but there was something that was really "complete" about the entire drinking experience.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:18 pm 

Just had a Gordon Biersch Pilsner made with Mosaic hops... oh my god. Those things are magical. Gives the beer an incredible grapefruit flavor that I've never experienced before. Really excited to try more beers that use them.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:07 am 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
I just had Stone's Enjoy By less than 2 weeks after it was brewed, and god damn, that is one of the best if not the best IPA I have ever had. Maybe it was just because it was so fresh, but there was something that was really "complete" about the entire drinking experience.

picked up a few of these bottles this week and I will agree, this is the first batch I've tried and it is delicious, super crisp and fresh! It definetly is a complete experience, kind of feels like getting a growler right from the brewery itself. Stone never dissapoints, I wonder how limited the beer is though, the bottle shop I go to said they got a keg that ran out instantly and their case of bottles went fast too.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:16 pm 

Yeah the liquor store I got another one from last night said their employees purchased all of the first case so they had to get two more. It's like every single hop flavor thrown at your pallet at once with waves of each all through the after taste, all backed by a fresh malty taste that lingers throughout. Definitely worth all of the hype.

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:14 am 

After my experience here in Liege, I can say that Westmalle Trippel, Trappistes Rochefort (the 8) and St. Bernardus (the quad) rule. Worth mentioning are also Tripel Karmeliet and Kwak, both of them are pretty sturdy beers at groovy prices. As for other beers... when it comes to English stuff, I stick to Hobgoblin and from the US, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is ace. The Germans' unfiltered dark Paulaner is also neat.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:01 pm 

I'm not a huge drinker (hence me never posting in the booze threads) but I've had a shitty weekend so I decided to treat myself to some expensive beer today. Currently enjoying a nice chilled 4 pack of this:

Courtesy of a one Smoking_Gnu's recommendation, thanks man, I love it.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 am 

Nice, glad I could be of help. I sort of OD'ed on Dragon's Milk last year, which is fairly easy to do given that it's so strong. It's still my favorite beer but it's definitely something I only drink every two months or so, and you definitely have to have it ice cold.

Also, have you noticed the bottlecaps have random words or punctuation printed on the bottom? I've built up an impressive collection of possible sentences by now.

To those who are interested, the beer above is a 10% bourbon barrel stout with an excellent blend of the high ABV taste paired with creamy, vanilla tones. Absolutely the best beer I've tasted in terms of combining the two without pitching too hard one way or the other. However, it's only available in Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:43 am 

Yeah, Dragon's Milk doesn't have the greatest reputation among beer snobs but I love it. Excellent vanilla/marshmellow character from the wood. From what I remember it has less of the raw whiskey character than other bourbon-barrel stouts, which might be why it doesn't have the same reputation as Bourbon County Stout. That and it's widely available, not a white whale.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:18 pm 

That and it's uber pricey, I'm not sure about the other beers you guys mentioned but at $16 for a 4 pack it's not exactly and every day kind of beer. But it got me sufficiently drunk last night so job well done.

Azmodes wrote:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:54 pm 

I have some Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-down ale right now, 9.7%. Pretty tasty, can't seem to drink more than 1 though, hah.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:58 pm 

For me Lagunitas is a solid B-rate brewery. I'm very rarely blown away by anything they brew, and they've just got too damn many similar beers. However, most of their stuff is quite boozy, inexpensive and certainly tasty enough, so if you're looking to get your craft brew buzz on for cheap they're a great option that I find myself going back to pretty often, usually either that Undercover Investigation or Brown Shugga.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:42 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Yeah, Dragon's Milk doesn't have the greatest reputation among beer snobs

Really?! I guess I'm just some low-class plebe then. :P What's their beef?

Also, I just found out today that New Holland produced a Dragon's Milk Reserve aged with some kind of chile pepper. Finding a bottle of that ASAP.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:39 am 

Went for Hammerheart's brandy barrel aged midvinter and the Stone Matt's Burning Rosids imperial cherrywood-smoked saison the other day. I enjoyed both but found the Hammerheart to be more to my liking. Also, chalk me up as another fan of Dragon's Milk.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:36 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Yeah, Dragon's Milk doesn't have the greatest reputation among beer snobs

I don't know where you get this, but RateBeer's aggregate score is 98 and 81 for the style - that's percentiles - which is pretty impressive for an imperial stout - the style points that is.

Regarding Lagunitas, their hoppier stuff has been pretty swell - IPA, Maximus, WTF - but the Cappuccino Stout was... Too hot and boozy to be enjoyable really.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:25 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
For me Lagunitas is a solid B-rate brewery. I'm very rarely blown away by anything they brew, and they've just got too damn many similar beers. However, most of their stuff is quite boozy, inexpensive and certainly tasty enough, so if you're looking to get your craft brew buzz on for cheap they're a great option that I find myself going back to pretty often, usually either that Undercover Investigation or Brown Shugga.

Yeah I can't even freaking remember what the separate beers taste like. I've had Little Sumpin, their pale ale, Censored, Hop Stoopid, Lagunitas Sucks, Undercover, and Brown Shugga, but I have no idea which ones I actually liked more than the others. Hop Stoopid isn't up there just because IPAs have been nasty to me for a while now. If I recall correctly the pale ale was decent, and Little Sumpin/Brown Shugga were pretty good...idk I need to try these again.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:28 am 

I've come to the recent decision that I need to make drinking (probably heavily for a while) and more specifically drinking beer a bigger part of my life. So this is what I've got for the weekend:

I'm not really up on what kind of beer is what and what makes it taste differently or why. Pretty much I don't know shit other than I like dark beer. I'm open to any and all suggestions too, anyways, that Magic Hat stuff was on clearance and since you can't go wrong with clearance beer I grabbed that. The other three are just a random assortment of things I thought sound like they'd be good because Jewel lets you make your own six pack.

Edit: I drank that 5 Vultures with my lunch today and it was really good. Dark amber and brewed with some sort of chili pepper so it had a super nice kick at the end of every sip that just seemed to slip its way into my mouth. Really good stuff, the Moose Drool on the other hand was just bitter and unpleasant.

Azmodes wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 am 

Had some tasty braus this weekend. Apparently Yards out of Philly is a pretty big deal but for whatever reason I had never seen it before, but a very excellent beer store between DC and Baltimore had probably nine or ten of their beers (plus maybe more in bombers - didn't look). Most looked interesting but I had to start simple with their English dark mild (called "Brawler"). Quite excellent stuff. Funny reading reviews for this as people are bitching about the lack of complexity and simple nature of it, missing the point utterly. Anyway it's pretty much a dark brown/ruby colored ode to malt and accomplishes its goals thoroughly. Infinitely sessionable stuff, too. Highly recommended.

Also had a Bell's Smitten Golden Rye Ale. Kind of disappointed with this one, really. I absolutely love rye in beer and think it goes extremely well with a nice piney hop presence, but this was just far too subtle with the rye and heavy-handed with the hops for a rather small (6%) beer. Essentially tasted like a straightforward low-end IPA with extremely subtle rye notes. Still tasty but I much prefer something like Founder's Red's Rye or Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye to this.

I also took advantage of Stillwater now bottling in 12oz 4-packs and grabbed some of their As Follows. While most of his stuff is described as some sort of farmhouse ale, this one was billed as a Belgian Golden Ale. It was actually quite strongly hopped but was utterly fucking brilliant. The intensity of the hops did nothing to mute or hide the huge fruit esters, yeast and candi sugar, so it managed to have all the complexity you'd expect out of a really big Belgian strong pale ale yet with a potent and equally complex hops profile to boot. Incredibly, intensely complex beer yet extremely drinkable - didn't sense a shred of its 9%. Standing ovation-worthy stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 86  Next