Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 am 

True enough I guess. Some people seem to think only of flashy bass tapping or 200BPM blasts as measures for good bassists/drummers, I've seen enough of those types. But you're right, Sabbath has always been a 3-piece instrumentally so they all try to sound as big as possible, all adding their own touches but perfectly complementing each other too, the way only the best can. God damn, what a band.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:23 am 

Yeah, exactly! The band used to work together incredibly well. Butler & Ward never were impressive in the same way as AC/DC's incredibly precise and tight rhythm section, but there was something magical about it. Ozzy was, of course, the least impressive element in the band during its instrumental height, though he'd also up his game with Vol 4.

Vol 4. would probably be their most balanced album, but it's a bit short on genius riffs apart from Snowblind and Under the Sun.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:10 am 

I clicked on this thread intending to post Joe Lester and Danny Walker of Intronaut only to find that the OP beat me to it. And I can't disagree with Geezer/Ward either.

So instead, I'm gonna give some love to Martin Mendez/Martin Lopez of Opeth. For proof, just listen to the outros of Deliverance and Harlequin Forest. Mendez/Axenrot are fantastic too; they haven't done anything on the level of the two songs I mentioned, but damn is the "pouring rain" section of Folklore groovy.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Vol 4. would probably be their most balanced album, but it's a bit short on genius riffs apart from Snowblind and Under the Sun.

I'd put Supernaut and The Straightener in that category.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2