Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
witheredheath94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:18 am 

Zetsubou Billy wrote:
I'm looking for some Black Metal Bands that are not satanic but melodic, cold, and sorrowful, just like Vinterland.
Does anyone know?? Sorry for complicated requests.

Check out other Swedish melodic BM bands like Dissection, Dawn and Sacramentum.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:43 pm 

unrelated to anything, but the guy from Unhuman Disease is making some killer music lately.

+2 for USBM!

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:38 pm 

wanted to share this. Voidcraeft. black metal in the vein of deathspell omega with some death metal influences. Absolutely awesome. The link is to a very strange music video for the song "meditation on despair" something about this is very unsettling, and I mean that in the best way possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ4exWMvrcs

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:36 pm 

Zetsubou Billy wrote:
I'm looking for some Black Metal Bands that are not satanic but melodic, cold, and sorrowful, just like Vinterland.

Dissection is satanic, but Dawn and Sacramentum are good options for things like Vinterland. Naglfar's Vittra is a fantastic album and worth looking at. Istapp's Blekinge isn't in the exact same style but it might be something that interests you. Martyr (Netherlands) is a new find for me and their To Confirm When Destruction Comes EP is pretty sweet Dissection-like stuff, without the satanism. But seriously, if you can get over your fear of satanism, Dissection is fantastic.

Zetsubou Billy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:27 pm 

witheredheath94 wrote:
    Check out other Swedish melodic BM bands like Dissection, Dawn and Sacramentum.

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
    Dissection is satanic, but Dawn and Sacramentum are good options for things like Vinterland. Naglfar's Vittra is a fantastic album and worth looking at. Istapp's Blekinge isn't in the exact same style but it might be something that interests you. Martyr (Netherlands) is a new find for me and their To Confirm When Destruction Comes EP is pretty sweet Dissection-like stuff, without the satanism. But seriously, if you can get over your fear of satanism, Dissection is fantastic.

Thanks a lot! \m/
    I've already had Sacramentum's Far Away From The Sun and love it.
    Dawn... longed to get it but can't find except too expensive one x_x
    Tried to listen to Naglfar, Istapp, and Martyr in YouTube. All of them are cool! Especially from Istapp I can feel vikingmetal-influence a bit.

Necrostalker
    Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:31 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE3qoGrljN0
    ^Check this out !!!

theposega
    Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:03 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
    theposega wrote:
    Looking for black metal that uses clean vocals in really intense moments a la the last minute or so of this Emperor song and this Blut aus Nord song. Musically I guess I would prefer it to be around the same as those two: fairly melodic, nothing overly fast and keyboards are cool. What I am absolutely not looking for is Anaal Nathrakh nor anything in that vein.

Also, kind of a similar request (and much more vague), but I'm essentially looking for more black metal that evokes a "castle-like" atmosphere for lack of a better term. Something along the lines of the first two Emperor, the aforementioned Blut Aus Nord album, the first Sacramentum, etc. Not really looking for anything Summoning-esque, though keyboards are fine (possibly even encouraged) as long as the riffs are still the main focus.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: fixed link

A little late to this party, but I want to mention Graupel; more importantly their Am Pranger album. Though these guys are probably a (weird) amalgamation of your two requests...

Schwarze Feder
    Herkünfte Schatten

I would also be in complete remiss were I not to mention (unless familiar, of course) The Ruins Of Beverast, especially in regards to the Blut Aus Nord track. Though it is a tad more drawn out - and raw (headphones and volume are mandatory!).

Fifty Forts Along The Rhine

Going to mention Myrkr as well in regards to Emperor. As an album, Black Illumination is crammed full of controlled, (almost) chaotic atmosphere that takes some wickedly dark turns here and there, with razor sharp riffs.

Flesh (apologies for the YT quality - it flat out stinks)
    The Unseen Light

Going back to Germany again with the fucking excellent (IMO) Ascension (again slight Emperor reference). Great production, stunning (at times long, but good to great) song craft and musicianship, and damn near perfect atmosphere.

Consolamentum
    Grant Me Light
    Cold Blooded Grace

Graupel was really, really cool. Definitely need to check out that album. Already a pretty big fan of the Ruins of Beverast, especially that album. The other two didn't quite do it for me. Thanks.

Jimmy Calhoun
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:58 am 

I'm looking for some really harsh, underproduced black metal/borderline noise a la Black Funeral, power electronics influences a plus though not necessary. Even better if it's not complete shit, musically speaking.

hakarl
    Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:06 am 

theposega: You might enjoy Elysian Blaze's album Blood Geometry. At least, if that castle can be something something that haunts your nightmares at the brink of insanity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vaAQ67c2Qc

vengefulgoat
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:09 am 

theposega wrote:
    Looking for black metal that uses clean vocals in really intense moments a la the last minute or so of this Emperor song and this Blut aus Nord song. Musically I guess I would prefer it to be around the same as those two: fairly melodic, nothing overly fast and keyboards are cool. What I am absolutely not looking for is Anaal Nathrakh nor anything in that vein.

Also, kind of a similar request (and much more vague), but I'm essentially looking for more black metal that evokes a "castle-like" atmosphere for lack of a better term. Something along the lines of the first two Emperor, the aforementioned Blut Aus Nord album, the first Sacramentum, etc. Not really looking for anything Summoning-esque, though keyboards are fine (possibly even encouraged) as long as the riffs are still the main focus.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: fixed link

Tartaros - The Grand Psychotic Castle?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYDrlKgDoCA

Also I guess Abigor - Nachthymnen is obvious, while it might be too fast.

Sick6Six
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
    I'm looking for some really harsh, underproduced black metal/borderline noise a la Black Funeral, power electronics influences a plus though not necessary. Even better if it's not complete shit, musically speaking.

I'm sure I could give you a list, but this gem is one of my favorites. This song fucking owns.

mike40k
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:06 pm 

Any recs for black metal bands that incorporate folk music into their riffs? I'm thinking bands like Taake, Windir and Kampfar, where it's not so much about folk interludes, instead the folk influence is more in the actual metal riffs, if that makes sense. Also, I want the music to remain fairly dark. I'm not looking for happy folk metal like Finntroll.

Karlabos
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:31 pm 

Folk influences in riffs heh? If you count non-nordic folk inlfuences, I can think of Drudkh, Blood of Kingu, Misogi, and the last Cult of Fire album. Perhaps something by old Antestor...

I also have a request:
    Anyone knows extremely chaotic bands, with some (but not too much) ambient pasages, in the vein of Gnaw Their Tongues, Bakbakwalanooksiwae or Botulistum?

Jimmy Calhoun
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:42 pm 

Their stuff is unfortunately very difficult to find, but Falls of Rauros would be an example of a great folk-infused BM band - in their case, being from Maine, they incorporate Northeastern American folk much the same way a lot of Scandinavian bands draw upon their own countries' folk music traditions. And though I haven't gotten around to it yet, Panopticon's 'Kentucky' is supposed to be much in the same vein, albeit with (naturally) more Appalachian influences.

theposega
    Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 pm 

That Tartaros is pretty cool, yeah. Already a big fan of that Abigor album.

As far as that Elysian Blaze album, I listened to it once and don't remember much. After checking out that song though I definitely need to revisit it.

DeathfareDevil
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 pm 

mike40k wrote:
    Any recs for black metal bands that incorporate folk music into their riffs? I'm thinking bands like Taake, Windir and Kampfar, where it's not so much about folk interludes, instead the folk influence is more in the actual metal riffs, if that makes sense. Also, I want the music to remain fairly dark. I'm not looking for happy folk metal like Finntroll.

Horn!

also

Horn!

Those are the only two albums of his that I have, but pretty much every song on both is a work of magic.

edit: In a bit of a coincidence, while I was checking the Hammerheart page to see if the Emperor reissue is still coming, I happened upon a band that got rec'd about 6 pages (and a month and a half) ago, Rauhnacht, who a) fit several of the criteria on the past couple of pages, e.g.: sort of castle-like atmosphere, occasional clean vox, and folk/pagan black metal; and b) have a new album up for pre-order. This seems to be the lead-off track:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5bD96eDefU

Cool cover art, too.
    Spoiler: show

oh my god, this other song from the new album, it's got that droney latter day Lunar Aurora thing going, and is that a didgeridoo at the beginning?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F26Fxv_qYPA

Jimmy Calhoun
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:55 am 

That Basilisk track was pretty sick, actually. Very much what I was looking for.

STORMM
    Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:25 am 

mike40k wrote:

Give Myrkgrav a rattle, the debut album is a very good release a fits the bill -

Sick6Six
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:50 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
    That Basilisk track was pretty sick, actually. Very much what I was looking for.

Glad you liked it, wish he did more.

mike40k wrote:

This is a little extreme, I think I would like this band if there was no folk elements because some of their stuff is just stupid fast

MutantClannfear
    Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:30 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:

How's Wold? Or ۞? Or Black Cilice? Early El-Ahrairah?

narsilianshard
    Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:14 pm 

I'm looking for stuff that has an Americana influence to it. Doesn't have to be straight black metal, something along the lines of Inter Arma/Horseback/Panopticon/Cobalt.

Zerstorer1611
    Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 pm 

Hello everyone, I'm looking for fast black metal with lots of blast beats, but not as overdone as, say, Infernal War, something like Unlord, Ad Hominem during Planet Zog, Merrimack on Entropy and Life Denial or Ascension in Consolamentum..

Bands like Marduk, Behemoth and such are also welcome.

Jimmy Calhoun
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:45 am 

Just in case you're not familiar, 'Pure Holocaust'/'Battles in the North' era Immortal is pretty blasty without being ridiculous.

Quote:
    I'm looking for stuff that has an Americana influence to it.

As I said before, Falls of Rauros. Wish I could think of more, but American folk/black metal doesn't seem to be an overly represented genre. That band Horseback sounds awesome though, I'll definitely check them out.

narsilianshard
    Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:58 am 

I've tried Falls of Rauros before and couldn't get into it, maybe I'll give it another shot. Horseback is incredible. Put the newest album on right before you go to sleep, it's absolutely mesmerizing.

MonumentalBlackArt
    Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:36 pm 

Hey guys, Hopefully this won't be too hard. I'm looking for bands that have a decent amount of melody without being totally saccharine, mid to fast paced songs, and some sustained, higher pitched shrieks and screams. This Plaga song is the type of stuff I'm looking for (especially at like 6:04):

Zerstorer1611
    Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:42 am 

Zetsubou Billy wrote:

Try Siebenbürgen, a terribly underrated Melodic BM band with some interesting female vocals, well worth a listen.

Lord_Brendan
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:21 pm 

For folk in metal riffs, maybe Trollech if you can get past the utterly hilarious video. These guys put Immortal to shame in silly videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqK8tezI5mc
    Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

STORMM
    Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:17 am 

For those interested and unaware Folkvang have a new album out -

Sick6Six
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:41 am 

I ordered that Folkvang album awhile ago, it came with free instant download but still never got the factory copy. Either way Folkvang is awesome.

coloredsands
    Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:49 pm 

Anyone able to recommend me some (preferably 90s) black metal with a sparing synth use?

Some examples that come to mind are Enslaved's Vikingligr Veldi, Borknagar's debut and the 2nd album, and perhaps some tunes off Hades' Again Shall Be;
    in another words, what I'm looking for is black metal with occasional synths, not symphonic black metal. Even though I prefer 90s black metal because of the production values, all recommendations are welcome. I know the genre fairly well, so no need to post classics (eg. Nightside Eclipse) here.

This is what I'm searching for basically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGt3uemWL8o&t=2m25s

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy Calhoun
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:30 pm 

I'm not extremely familiar with them, but Lord Belial from Sweden might be a good example of moderately keyboard-y black metal. The synths are mostly pushed into the background for atmospheric purposes and very rarely, if ever, drown out the guitars.

CrushedRevelation
    Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:25 am 

coloredsands wrote:
    Anyone able to recommend me some (preferably 90s) black metal with a sparing synth use?

Some examples that come to mind are Enslaved's Vikingligr Veldi, Borknagar's debut and the 2nd album, and perhaps some tunes off Hades' Again Shall Be;
    in another words, what I'm looking for is black metal with occasional synths, not symphonic black metal. Even though I prefer 90s black metal because of the production values, all recommendations are welcome. I know the genre fairly well, so no need to post classics (eg. Nightside Eclipse) here.

This is what I'm searching for basically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGt3uemWL8o&t=2m25s

Thanks in advance.

This is an insane album (and fucking heavy), but it fits the bill. I give you Darklord

War In The Sky
    Infernal Necromancy

My collection

Jimmy Calhoun
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:19 am 

Good stuff! Probably the most bass presence of any black metal I've heard.

CrushedRevelation
    Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:18 am 

Yeah, the demo is a little rawer production-wise but this, their full length is a fucking monster.

My collection

coloredsands
    Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:22 am 

I am familiar with Lord Belial. :) Thanks for Darklord, will check it out.

Under_Starmere
    Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:16 pm 

Anyone know where one might be able to get ahold of / have a listen to Ildra's Beorna Beaducraeft demo? I'm having a hell of a time digging up any sources for purchasing or otherwise acquiring it. If anyone has any leads, please drop me a PM or reply here. Thanks!

Jimmy Calhoun
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:26 pm 

Quote:

Now this stuff is borderline unlistenable (if kind of awesome for just that reason). Be careful what you wish for, I guess. :)

omnishadow
    Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:13 am 

Looking for bands that are similar to Varathron, The Elysian Fields... basically melodic black bands from the hellenic scene with more emphasis on the melancholy and melodies. Some samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0I-ABEc6rg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTshhfUoluw

Karlabos
    Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:00 pm 

Are there bands with catchy riffage such as on this song by Nachtmystium?
    I checked other Nachtmystium stuff and it's different. Wish they did more songs similar to that one.
    Anything similar to it?

Flugeldufel
    Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:30 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
    Quote:

Now this stuff is borderline unlistenable (if kind of awesome for just that reason). Be careful what you wish for, I guess. :)

Wold is way more on the noise side of things than metal, very abrasive stuff. It's the kind of shit that pisses you off at first that you paid money for it, but if you have the patience they have a lot of cool material. Not everyday listening by a long shot, though. L.O.T.M.P. or Screech Owl is where I'd start with them.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 231  Next