Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:48 am 

How feasible would it be to incorporate a Wikipedia-like system of using green and red-colored text to highlight what's been added or deleted between two edits of a field that can be expected to hold a lot of text, like additional notes or lyrics? Sometimes the differences are extremely minute and it's annoying to sit there squinting at a massive band biography trying to figure out what was added or removed from it.

I'd also like to call attention to this again now that making my own thread has temporarily put me in the spotlight, as it were:
MutantClannfear wrote:
I'm sleepy so I'll make this quick: you guys need to consider setting a max height limit on images so that tall images like the one on this page don't stretch down into the abysses of the Mariana Trench. Surely you must be doing something so that images wider than, say, 200 px are automatically loaded as a thumbnail and don't stretch off the right side of the webpage? Do it for image height too.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:30 pm 

I'd definitely support this, the squinting problem sounds all too familiar. Last.fm has a similar feature: if you compare two different versions of a band's wiki page, the changes are highlighted in red.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:22 pm 

The idea about preventing pictures would mess with things like Cormorant's album art. http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Co ... ngs/317042

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:48 pm 

How so?

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:41 pm 

Maybe he thinks that a limitation in size would make it difficult to "enjoy" the images while browsing the entries, because due to a certain screen resolution some could be scaled down a bit. In order to fully enjoy them one would have to click them. Or in other words, a certain limitation can have an effect on the usability of the site.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:04 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
How so?

Not sure, but if the time stamps here are correct, at least relative to each other, then you posted this response after OzzyApu had sliced up the cover art that MonumentalBlackArt linked to. It's a neat square now, but it was this image that MBA initially referred to.

If I'm wrong, then just ignored this post. If not, it might help prevent some confusion.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:24 pm 

To clarify, I'm not asking for a strict "limitation", per se; that was rather unclear wording on my part. If what I'm suggesting was implemented, you could still submit images 1000 pixels tall, as long as they didn't exceed the data limits, and they wouldn't be resized.

However, the website automatically makes a thumbnail for images, and the full resolution can only be viewed if it's clicked. This doesn't apply when the image is tall but not wide enough to make the site display it as a thumbnail. And it should apply, because in such cases it stretches the page vertically.

@Duisterling: thank you, that clarifies the situation.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:37 pm 

Yeah, we can keep the images that go over limits and such in the additional notes. You can see how I linked it in that section.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:24 pm 

Yeah, I suppose an exception could be made for that cover because obviously that uncropped version is going to show up if you completely unfold the CD booklet or whatever. That being said, I'm not meaning to suggest that all tall images need to be resized or restricted based on pixel counts - just that they are loaded as thumbnails after they pass a set point.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:34 pm 

There are other covers that are only a small portion of the real artwork (ex: Dark Tranquillity's Character). I think the additional notes can be used for what you're saying instead. It's just a couple clicks away.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:40 pm 

But that won't work for something like the artist photo on Odz Manouk's page because there's no "top part" to crop and use as the "main photo": http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Odz ... 3540315879

And as the person who took the time to scan that in the booklet, there's no surrounding background in that image. That's literally all that's there.

A somewhat more mild example would be Lykathea Aflame's logo: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lyk ... flame/2884

This phenomenon isn't restricted to a small vs. large version of cover art. Some images are just, by design, obscenely tall and there needs to be a limit on their thumbnails so that they don't stretch on forever. I feel like nobody understands what I'm trying to suggest... :(

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:17 pm 

I feels ya clanny. It's especially a pain when one is browsing on the phone for instance and huge images hog almost the whole damn screen.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Reply to topic