* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:31 am 

Janvs - Nigredo (Reissue)

This is just... Meh.
The only Black Metal left here is the vocals.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:58 am 

Arkona - Yarilo

One of their bouncier songs, love it. One of the best Russian folk metal bands
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:27 am 

Napoka Iria-Zure atzetik

Some Basque modern folk music with a very personal voice.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:43 am 

Hic Iacet - Ritual II Prophecy Of Doom

This is one hell of a cavernous, crushing and morbid 7". The deep howling vocals are harrowing, seemingly coming from out of some abyssal void. Bloody good stuff.

My collection

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:46 am 

Athelstan - Hero On The Hill

Side project of a Forefather member, there are only 2 songs with vocals on this album. Sounds a lot like the slower Forefather stuff (which is awesome to this fanboy) :lol:
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 am 

Obtest - Pakutine Akimirka

I have always wondered why this album isn't as well known/liked as it should be. It is very hard to pinpoint what they play, as it mixes elements of heavy and power metal, thrash, death and black metal into something that sounds familiar but also kind of original

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:12 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
Obtest - Pakutine Akimirka

I have always wondered why this album isn't as well known/liked as it should be. It is very hard to pinpoint what they play, as it mixes elements of heavy and power metal, thrash, death and black metal into something that sounds familiar but also kind of original

When I visited Lithuania two years ago I bought Auka seniems dievams
, which is the previous album. A quite good work of pagan metal, I loved the clean vocals, they add an extra touch of majesty Its the album you mention very different? because as far as I know they have changed of style in the last works.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:10 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
When I visited Lithuania two years ago I bought Auka seniems dievams
, which is the previous album. A quite good work of pagan metal, I loved the clean vocals, they add an extra touch of majesty Its the album you mention very different? because as far as I know they have changed of style in the last works.

I actually havn't heard the older stuff enough to give much info on that, but supposedly they did change a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUyRIfig8TA Paskutine Akimirka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUtHvaV5o7A Devyniaragis

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:31 pm 

Dawn of Destiny - Prayers

Not a spectacular album, but enjoyable enough. This song is probably the highlight.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:58 pm 

Manilla Road - Dig Me No Grave

I am new to this band really, always heard the name but never checked them out. Having a listen to bits and pieces and each album has it's own character

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:00 pm 

Freedom Call - Tears Are Falling

Helloween Keeper worship, but I daresay actually better than the first two Keepers.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:16 pm 

Howl of Ebb - Vigil of the 3rd Eye

I can't stop listening to this album. Kudos to them for coming up with something quite original.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 pm 

Stygma VI - Solum Mente Infirmis, off the album of the same name

Weird, jerky, yet fairly atmospheric power/prog. Reminds me of Psychotic Waltz for moments. I can dig it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 pm 

Cage The Elephant - Thank You, Happy Birthday

Came in the mail today. First proper listen.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:11 pm 

Skull Fist - Hour to Live

The new Skull Fist is very reasonable - no complaints here. The vocals are still incredibly weird; they almost sound auto-tuned, but it gives them a strange charm, I suppose.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:30 pm 

Tiamat - A Deeper Kind Of Slumber

Time to crack this fucker open again.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:36 pm 

Iced Earth - Dark City

:lol: Curiosity got the best of me.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:44 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
Iced Earth - Dark City

:lol: Curiosity got the best of me.

One of theirr best songs since anything off The Dark Saga imo

Sonata Arctica – Blinded No More

Not my favourite

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:55 pm 

Acoustic Wizard - Saturnine

I'm not usually one for cover-bands, but this is simply excellent;

http://acousticwizard.bandcamp.com/album/acoustic-wizard-iii

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:25 pm 

Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw

Fuck yeah.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:30 pm 

Freedom Call "Eternity"

Gonna go through my old power metal albums today.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:30 pm 

Artificial Brain- Worm Harvester

Fucking A' man. Killer album. I'm actually kind of surprised by it. It's got an obvious Gorguts/Ulcerate/Flourishing type vibe, but there is a lot of Suffocation and Demilich too. A lot more Suffocation than I thought, even if the cover art is very Dan Seagrave. Digging the hell out of this record.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 pm 

Spoiler: show
Perdition666 wrote:
I don't think I've ever went into the J-pop deep-end (I do like Perfume though), but I do like a lot of J-rock/J-pop hybrids. I-RabBits, 1000say, and Zwei I like a lot.

I've never gone full Jpop either, but there are plenty of poppy Jrock bands that I've liked.

Quote:
Onmyo-Za is my favorite band at the moment. They're pretty much the reason why I started focusing 100% on Japanese music. Thanks to last.fm, they led to Light Bringer, then Aldious, Cyntia, Destrose, Mary's Blood, and so on. Aside from Galneryus, nearly everything I listened to for half a year was Japanese and female fronted. That changed a bit when I got into MinstreliX (first vocalist is female though), Lightning, and Crying Machine.

I don't even remember how or why I started listening to Japanese music. I think it was because I clicked cool-looking cover art of some obscure prog rock band on youtube (Mr. Sirius). Then it just progressed from there. Anyways, I normally have sort of a balance in what I acquire. Usually about half Japanese and half Western music.

Quote:
Have you heard Albion before? They're an all-girl band who sound a bit like Light Bringer. Their upcoming album is one of my most anticipated albums this year (it should arrive in the mail early next week). Here's a PV:

Only complaint is the bass-drum sound, which is really loud and clicky. I think I'll just pretend that's the bass guitar. If you're wondering where the drummer is, she left the band after the recordings, but before the PV was shot. So they used her parts anyway. They shouldn't have any problems finding a replacement, considering how many female musicians are over there.

I liked that quite a bit. Maybe my ears are just bad, but I really can barely hear the bass-drum so I'm not really hearing your complaint too well.

Quote:
Indeed, that song is one of the best they've ever done. I was even more impressed that they pull it off flawlessly live too. Longing is one of their best instrumentals too - pure emotion and a perfect way to close off the album. Its kinda weird how a lot of their non-album tracks are really damn good too. "Metal Trigger" being one of my favorite songs by them (its the B-side on the "Hunting for Your Dream" single).

Even that djent-sounding track they did (I think it's called “Alastia” or something like that) sounds good.

Quote:
Yeah, that was pretty all over the place and weird. Definitely not bad though.

The vocalist reminded me of the guy from LeVia (or would that be the other way around). They're pretty much visual kei power metal formed by ex-時空海賊 Seven Seas members. Mind you, LeVia's vocalist sounded a bit like 時空海賊 Seven Seas's vocalist. I don't listen to too many visual kei bands, so maybe they all sound like that. The only other one who I played a PV from was Deathgaze (out of morbid curiousity). Wasn't bad though, pretty fast and more aggressive than expected.

I found this to be pretty neat - MinstreliX and Matenrou Opera's guitarist doing a live guitar cover of Angra's "Carry On".

Yeah, most of the visual kei bands' vocalists sound like that. That nasally voice is usually the default (I don't mind it though) on these bands for whatever reason. I listen to a few visual kei bands although they really can vary in sound. I power metal bands like to be visual kei a lot. I've also noticed that there's usually at least one member who looks significantly more girly than the rest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_amp7Z-rRF0

Cool cover, by the way. Angra is, of course, another quality band.

Quote:
For me, its either technical or atmospheric/emotional (can't seem to combine the two very often). I generally dismiss Dream Theater clones as wank. Same with a lot of western neoclassical metal bands. I find most of that stuff really boring, yet the Japanese neoclassical metal bands are really good. And I find most power metal bands over there have neoclassical guitar work (Galneryus' influence, no doubt)

There's really not many straight-up progressive metal or shredding stuff I like either. I always like it blended with other stuff whether it's power, thrash, death metal or whatever it may be.

Quote:
I own that DVD, its a pretty nice show. Its kinda strange how on sites in Japan like HMV Japan and Amazon.jp, that DVD has pretty low fan-submitted ratings. Its like, if they can do better... fuuuuuck. Mind you, I think that's due to the setlist because they play Genesis in its entirety and there's some songs that should've been on it. I kinda wish it could've been 2 hours long or something.

The music is just too advanced for them :-P.

NP: Cynic – How Could I

This album is always a good listen. I kind of wish they would make hard stuff again, but I like their soft stuff too, so whatever.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:42 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
Janvs - Nigredo (Reissue)

This is just... Meh.
The only Black Metal left here is the vocals.

I think it's OK. The prog is decent, but those vocals don't really fit with the music.

Right now I'm blasting The Committee's Holodomar. Yum.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:44 pm 

Cradle of Filth – Dusk and Her Embrace

One of their best songs, amazing keyboards.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:58 am 

Ilbeltz - Maiñel Moxkortiyarena

Very interesting folk metal band mixing heavy metal and black metal with Basque folk. I really wish they had a better drum machine/program sound :(

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:20 am 

Blood Stain Child - Over the Galaxy

Not a bad deal, this here new vocalist.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:21 am 

Hate Eternal - Spiritual Holocaust

This song fucking slays. SO much going on in such a short track - twisted, heavy as fuck riffs, wild 'n' wicked leads and corrosive vocals. Perfect death metal! Pity their other albums failed to move me at all...

My collection

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 am 

Hate Forest - The Gates

Listening to some Hate Forest as I am on my way to a small island to do some work, perfect.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:17 am 

Lumsk - Dunker

Always loved Stine-Marie's voice. Beautiful

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
Ilbeltz - Maiñel Moxkortiyarena
Very interesting folk metal band mixing heavy metal and black metal with Basque folk. I really wish they had a better drum machine/program sound :(

Ibai had to pay to some guy for programming the drums but, finally, he had to make almost all the work by himself anyway.
Yeah, that's a pity cause he could had better results using any programming software (like Drumkit from Hell, for example).
P.D: Check this out too:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ilbeltz/D%27Anjou_En_Vasconie_-_La_Tr%C3%A8s_Grande_Chasse_D%27Hellequin/322826

Quote:
D'Anjou En Vasconie - La Très Grande Chasse D'Hellequin by Ilbeltz / Anceisural Eritance / Hanternoz.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:28 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Ibai had to pay to some guy for programming the drums but, finally, he had to make almost all the work by himself anyway.
Yeah, that's a pity cause he could had better results using any programming software (like Drumkit from Hell, for example).
P.D: Check this out too:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ilbeltz/D%27Anjou_En_Vasconie_-_La_Tr%C3%A8s_Grande_Chasse_D%27Hellequin/322826

Quote:
D'Anjou En Vasconie - La Très Grande Chasse D'Hellequin by Ilbeltz / Anceisural Eritance / Hanternoz.

I have actually heard that, but only the one time. I really should go listen again

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:32 am 

Ultima Thule - Folkhem

A very nice punk band with a bad reputation :(

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
I have actually heard that, but only the one time. I really should go listen again

I'm now.

Gauaren Babes Tenkian Burdibagaz Haraindi from (2012) Ilbeltz - Anjoutik Euskalerrira - Hellequinen Ehiza Arras Haundiya.
Epic!

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:47 am 

Man I bet I pronounce that horribly :lol:

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:33 am 

Sonata Arctica - Cloud Factory

So poppy but so catchy, great lyrics even if simple.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:02 pm 

Heirs - Hunter

Interesting yet repetitive (in a good way) instrumental post-metal type stuff complete with theremin. Saw them live with Alcest in Melbourne a few years ago

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:31 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Sonata Arctica - Cloud Factory

So poppy but so catchy, great lyrics even if simple.

I just fixed the lyrics on the MA page :) Got to listen to it multiple times in a row. Stuck in head for good, now.

NP: Zyklon - Vile Ritual
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:55 pm 

Spoiler: show
Dudemanguy wrote:
I've never gone full Jpop either, but there are plenty of poppy Jrock bands that I've liked.

I find that music usually has to be in the traditional rock format (vocals / guitars / bass/ drums) for me to like it (not always though, of course). Supreme catchiness coupled with great musician ship is something I appreciate. Probably why Light Bringer is my second favorite band at the moment.

Quote:
I don't even remember how or why I started listening to Japanese music. I think it was because I clicked cool-looking cover art of some obscure prog rock band on youtube (Mr. Sirius). Then it just progressed from there. Anyways, I normally have sort of a balance in what I acquire. Usually about half Japanese and half Western music.

It started for me when I randomly downloaded some Yousei Teikoku (was looking for female-fronted electrogoth). Come to think of it, at that time I was looking to take a break from metal, so maybe looking to Japan wasn't my most stellar idea :lol: Exist Trace was another semi-random download - "all-female visual kei" seemed too weird to pass up on, I ended up liking them a lot. Onmyo-Za I discovered by accident. I reached a point where I'd check out anything in Japanese lettering that would show up in Metal-Archives recently updated bands. I was actually looking for Ningen-Isu (they've been hyped around here for awhile), but I completely forgot their name and was clicking on any Japanese name to see if it was them. Clicked on Onmyo-Za instead, liked the band-picture and found the concept of the band interesting... liked Kishi Bojin's album cover and checked that one out. The rest is history. Essentially, I discovered my favorite band by sheer randomness :lol: I still haven't checked out Ningen-Isu yet (I was off by one Japanese letter :P), I probably should remedy that sometime.

Quote:
I liked that quite a bit. Maybe my ears are just bad, but I really can barely hear the bass-drum so I'm not really hearing your complaint too well.

Ah, you're lucky then. Maybe my ears are going nuts on me. Here's the album crossfade in case you didn't check it out. Its pretty much torture for me waiting for this to arrive in the mail.

Quote:
Even that djent-sounding track they did (I think it's called “Alastia” or something like that) sounds good.

I like that song as well - actually, that's one of the better EPs I own, all of it is great. I'd like to see Galneryus do a tech-death song as an experiment sometime. We all know Syu can do harsh vocals.

Quote:
Yeah, most of the visual kei bands' vocalists sound like that.

It seems common for a lot of male vocalists over there period. I was listening to a Spinchord song last night and Syu's vocals sounded similar to that as well.

Quote:
That nasally voice is usually the default (I don't mind it though) on these bands for whatever reason. I listen to a few visual kei bands although they really can vary in sound. I power metal bands like to be visual kei a lot. I've also noticed that there's usually at least one member who looks significantly more girly than the rest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_amp7Z-rRF0

That song wasn't bad at all - better than a lot of pm I've heard over the last 5 years. I'm sure the imagery would put off 99% of all power metal fans though. Hell, this stuff is pretty far outside my comfort zone too. I guess this is pretty much a culture-clash and I'm assuming cross-dressing/androgynous appearances isn't a big deal over there. I guess music trumps all and if I like something enough, I'll overcome any imagery bias. Its funny, all-female visual kei bands like exist trace have members who look masculine (but one of their guitarists dresses hyper-feminine to contrast the other guitarist). Danger Gang is another all-girl one, but they're colorful as all hell. You know, the more I get into this stuff, they don't look that unusual anymore :lol: The contrast between their image and music is pretty funny because they're pretty abrasive and raw sounding.

Quote:
Cool cover, by the way. Angra is, of course, another quality band.

Cool, glad you liked it. If you haven't checked out MinstreliX yet, I definitely recommend them. They're one of the better power metal bands over there at the moment. It took some time for them to grow on me, but they're definitely worth it. I guess they have some similarities to Galneryus (neoclassical guitarwork and fairly technical), but are more in the Euro fantasy/sympho vein. They have some melodeath influences as well and they aren't afraid to mix things up stylistically.

The Goddess~La Liberte Guidant Le Peuple~ - straightforward power metal fare, but pretty good (it didn't blow me away initially though). Its strange how I didn't notice how good the solo was until like the 10th play or so.

Venus and Adonis - one of my favorite instrumental power metal songs ever, really nice guitarwork and guitar/keyboard interplay on this. Catchy as hell too.

Eternal Death Rave - one of their melodeath-ish ones, one of my faves by them too.

Quote:
There's really not many straight-up progressive metal or shredding stuff I like either. I always like it blended with other stuff whether it's power, thrash, death metal or whatever it may be.

Power/prog I like a lot because it takes the complexity and great musicianship of progressive metal and tightens up the songwriting & makes it catchy. Probably why Galneryus is one of my favorite bands at the moment - they're probably catchier than most power metal bands, yet they mop the floor with most prog-metal bands. One of the best live bands around too.

Dragon Eyes - "S/T"

Pretty cool symphonic power metal/melodeath hybrid.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:48 pm 

Manilla Road - Mysterium

Bustin' out this bad boy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1424, 1425, 1426, 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430 ... 2923  Next