Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Considering Agents of SHIELD isn't very good, my reaction is: meh.

I'm more interested with the shows DC will do especially the one about Gordon.

Oh, weren't you praising it in a couple of posts when the show was about 2-3 episodes old? Guess it went downhill completely yea? I watched an episode but didn't enjoy it at all.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:54 am 

I wasn't praising it! The last episode I watched is E12, I think I'll finally give up haha.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74410&p=2326041&hilit=agents+of+shield#p2326041

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:53 pm 

Ah, I only remembered you posting this - viewtopic.php?p=2323210#p2323210 Not so much the other post :)

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:58 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Guess it went downhill completely yea?

Nah, it actually improves a bit as the season progresses, but it's still nothing special. It's OK for light entertainment, but nothing really recommendable at this point.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:09 pm 

I'm in 100% agreement with Antoine on this one; started amusingly enough but went downhill into total NCIS-style, disposable TV after just a handful of episodes.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:21 pm 

HANNIBAL TONIGHT :love:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:36 am 

How was it?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:26 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
HANNIBAL TONIGHT :love:

Holy shi-at, completely forgot about this!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:03 pm 

It was really good. It opens up with a super intense scene which I'd accidently spoiled for myself, and sets up a nice ticking clock feeling. The dynamic has completely changed, but I'm happy to say it's still Hannibal and the writing is still top notch. I will say that Will really isn't helping his situation so far with some of the crazy shit he says. I'm also amazed that they keep coming up with such amazing/disturbing killers. Only thing that bothered me was that they immediately go to Will for help with the killer. I mean, you think he went insane because of getting into all these killer's minds and that's one of the first things you do? I guess now that he's in jail you don't give a shit? But wait, that's not very consistent with any of the characters, is it?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:04 pm 

Does that show get better? I watched the first 3-4 eps and was bored out of my mind.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:47 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Does that show get better? I watched the first 3-4 eps and was bored out of my mind.
I watched the first 7 episodes and thought it was gutter trash, it just went nowhere with a virtual reset formula. It has lots of potential for sure but the writer/s hasn't got a clue how to give enough to satisfy viewers while keeping it slow enough to lengthen out the series. Instead we get this weird repetition of loose ends convenient being tied by each episode's finish combined with routine horrific/dream-like visuals replacing genuine story development. No offence directed but it boggles my mind that anyone could be excited for it's return.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:32 pm 

I just finished season 3 of Game of Thrones, guess who my new favorite character is?

Spoiler: show

Seriously, someone give this guy an emmy.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:06 pm 

So you want to give Antoine an Emmy?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:00 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm more interested with the shows DC will do especially the one about Gordon.

I came across this: the Flash.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/1/546034 ... g-tv-pilot

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:51 am 

darkeningday wrote:
So you want to give Antoine an Emmy?

Hey, I'm Jon Snow, not Ramsay Snow/Bolton! I'm not a sadist, I'm only a bad actor who's handsome!

This Flash TV series could be good but I don't have high hopes due to the fact it will be made by CW. Arrow is basically Gossip Girls but with costumes and some action sequences.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I just finished season 3 of Game of Thrones, guess who my new favorite character is?

I wouldn't have recognised him from this picture, but it's the creepy guy from Misfits. I can imagine him to fit into this role perfectly.

Just recently finished the third season of Breaking Bad. I guess it's entertaining, but seriously, every other show would get at least some criticism for the huge amount of coincidences the story relies on. And Jesse Pinkman is beginning to annoy me more than AJ Soprano ever did...

Speaking of The Sopranos: I finished that show as well, and while I liked the last episode individually for the full circle idea and references to various incidents and character relationships from far earlier, I wasn't content about some story developments in the latter half of the last season... it felt a bit rushed, like AJ's depression story or the gang conflict.

Last edited by CoF on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:36 pm 

Bates Motel season 2 begins tomorrow. :D

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:29 pm 

An Emmy for the guy that plays Ramsay Bolton? :scratch: Eh...what. I practically forgot he even existed. That whole subplot is so damn lame and his portrayal of the character isn't very, eh, intense. Sorry, not trying to rant, I just don't get it.

Haha, I forgot how hilariously miscast and terrible Gabriel Byrne was in the first few episodes of Vikings. So fucking bad.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:14 pm 

^
He's more of the comedical kind of insane. He's just very entertaining to watch, and he actually made me chuckle a couple of times. I have never read any of the books by the way, so I can't comment on his portrayal of the original character. He just feels so out of place in between all these super serious characters, and there he is, making castration jokes while eating pork sausage. Love it.

Calling it Emmy worthy may have been a hyperbole. He's just the most entertaining character for me at the moment.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:27 am 

Hannibal got off to a pretty cool start, good enough, as expected. Gillian Anderson's performance seemed a little weaker than normal for some reason. Two minor gripes about the show that come to mind: 1) The lighting is really nice, though completely unrealistic, which confounds my balls, and 2) a lot of times scenes will end just when the dialogue is about to get to a really cool point of development, so although it lends the impression of a tension retention kind of "holding back" feeling, it also seems like the writers are dodging or copping out on dialogue quality. :grumble: Anyway...neat show.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:35 pm 

Split from the lit thread re: True Detective and it's dopeness.

As I said there, I'm hard pressed to think of a show I've liked more. There might be some shows I'm forgetting, obviously, as there's been some really good ones. It's taste-specific, or course, but top to bottom, True Detective is (at least for me) contending for top slot. Is it better than the first series of Mad Men, for instance? Is it better than GoT? Is it better than Breaking Bad?

I say yes to all of these, and I like them all very much. Well .. GoT less so, even though I'm definitely a fan, and looking forward to watching the entire epic. And maybe that's a qualifying difference, since I definitely have a special reverence for the well-crafted mini-series (which Mad Men should have stayed as, seems to me).

ed: to elaborate, the lit thread shed a pale and sickly moonlight onto the material, mentioning the creeping dread of the show. Few shows are able to convey this kind of convincing atmosphere. Whereas other shows may excel at one or even a few aspects of production, this show does equally well at all of them.

REMEMBER TO USE SPOILER TAGS FOR THE SAKE OF ALL THAT IS DISGUSTING AND LAMENTABLE!!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:27 pm 

Finished American Horror Story Asylum.

Good on the whole, but the devil-possessed nun didn't do much for me. Felt like she was there mostly to move the plot along (devil ex machina?) and give the asshole priest a sole redeeming action.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:44 pm 

Well, she was hot. There's that.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:59 pm 

Thanks to a bunch of you who mentioned True Detective in the literature thread, I watched the first episode. It's definitely got my attention. The occult themes should make this a favorite among metalheads I suppose. And McConaughey sure does deliver. Can't wait to catch up on the show.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:40 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Finished American Horror Story Asylum.

Good on the whole, but the devil-possessed nun didn't do much for me. Felt like she was there mostly to move the plot along (devil ex machina?) and give the asshole priest a sole redeeming action.

I thought that too. Although at least it had a pay off, as opposed to the horribly disfigured woman. I think the final confrontation in the last episode made Asylum worthwhile.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:04 pm 

True Detective/Breaking Bad (final episodes):

I watched the final episodes of Breaking Bad a few days ago, so I was left on the fence about the conclusion of True Detective. The last half of BB's final season was such a nail-biter of unfairness that I was surprised there wasn't something similar in TD, considering the show's "fatal inevitability" vibe. If this story line of TD ends forever, I'd have prefered it to end like a Gaspar Noe movie. Not much left unresolved there, if unjust. Could as easily have ended with a falling hatchet instead of a 'splooey. Definitely a season needing to be re-watched.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:57 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
True Detective/Breaking Bad (final episodes):

I watched the final episodes of Breaking Bad a few days ago, so I was left on the fence about the conclusion of True Detective. The last half of BB's final season was such a nail-biter of unfairness that I was surprised there wasn't something similar in TD, considering the show's "fatal inevitability" vibe. If this story line of TD ends forever, I'd have prefered it to end like a Gaspar Noe movie. Not much left unresolved there, if unjust. Could as easily have ended with a falling hatchet instead of a 'splooey. Definitely a season needing to be re-watched.
Mostly regarding True Detective
First, what's a 'splooey? Second, personally I would have felt robbed having invested my time in the show to not get a solid conclusion. We got outstanding character development throughout and the end had a profound impact on the characters, I believe changing them for the better, to not get that would have felt lazy. My only nit-pick is the opening scene took away too much mystery of the killer and almost humanised him, which gave him a slight handicap so to speak, but thankfully the rest of the episode and aided with his surroundings he exuded evil so it was quickly forgotten. Side note: I found the sniper scene quite similar to BB, although admittedly I prefer TD's version more.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:39 am 

Not sure if you guys know this but Doug Stanhope (and Joe Rogan) are starring in the next season of True Detective. Need to finish season 1 asap (currently on the 3rd episode now)

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:08 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

Yeah, he's great.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:33 am 

shouvince wrote:
Not sure if you guys know this but Doug Stanhope (and Joe Rogan) are starring in the next season of True Detective. Need to finish season 1 asap (currently on the 3rd episode now)

Ugh, gross. Hopefully it's just a cameo!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 am 

Weren't you a fan of Stanhope or was it FSM? I think they'll be playing lead roles though.

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:20 am 

Haha, I'm pretty damn sure (100%) that's a joke. I Google-searched it and could only find one random retweet from some random joke Twitter account by Stanhope mentioning it. I know Stanhope has mentioned that he hates acting, and would only consider playing roles similar to the one he played in Louie, i.e. roles where he was basically playing himself, and I kinda doubt that the next season's lead detectives are going to be part-time deadbeat comedians in addition to their day-jobs.

Anyway, regarding this season's ending:
Horrible and completely tacked on optimistic ending aside, it was almost decent. Carcosa was fantastic, the serial killer lameish, the fact that they didn't capture any of the higher-ups was good and realistic. I was looking forward to rewatching the whole season, but now I'm not so sure. The knowledge of that coming incredibly uncharacteristic betrayal of his deepest convictions by Cohle would probably taint the whole series. That said, the show as a whole, excluding those last 10-15 minutes, was superb, and some of the most atmospheric television I've ever seen.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 am 

Ahhh goddamnit :grumble:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:39 pm 

Finished watching the 7th series of Doctor Who today with the kids. Not to spoil anything, but after the relatively excellent 5th and 6th series, I kinda felt let down by the season as a whole. The scripts were nowhere near the level of the best Matt Smith era stuff, and the final episode was, IMO, an illogical concoction, and didn't work very well after my high expectations. Also, the series had a lousier feel of continuity than the series 3 to 6 did. Especially the Amy/Rory/River Song stories had some long-term charm and exceptional excellence to them, something the Clara story arch hasn't yet had, despite the nice basic idea.

I think the switch to the 12th is welcome at this point. Tennant and Smith have both been very good in the role, but maybe a series or two of something a bit more serious and perhaps darker would be welcome. Capaldi looks precisely like the man the franchise needs at this point.

Now, I still need to get the Complete Specials box to complete the new series collection, and after that, maybe some more choice cuts from the earlier Doctors. The older the better.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:54 pm 

Hey Nap, you ever watch any 1980's Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett? I watched it a lot as a young lad and I think it's great for kids as well as adults. It's one of those things that I enjoyed a lot at the time, not thinking anything more of it, but then in hindsight was really thankful I got to experience that early in life. Awesome period production design, really authentic atmosphere, and of course a wonderful, timeless portrayal of the Great Amateur by Brett. It's as stimulating to the thinking faculties as it is entertaining, and it never condescends to the audience. Great music, too. Thought it might offer you some quality family viewing.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:59 pm 

Napero wrote:
Finished watching the 7th series of Doctor Who today with the kids. Not to spoil anything, but after the relatively excellent 5th and 6th series, I kinda felt let down by the season as a whole. The scripts were nowhere near the level of the best Matt Smith era stuff, and the final episode was, IMO, an illogical concoction, and didn't work very well after my high expectations. Also, the series had a lousier feel of continuity than the series 3 to 6 did. Especially the Amy/Rory/River Song stories had some long-term charm and exceptional excellence to them, something the Clara story arch hasn't yet had, despite the nice basic idea.

I think the switch to the 12th is welcome at this point. Tennant and Smith have both been very good in the role, but maybe a series or two of something a bit more serious and perhaps darker would be welcome. Capaldi looks precisely like the man the franchise needs at this point.

These are precisely my thoughts too. I'm incredibly excited for Capaldi. His first scene was the best part of that final Matt Smith episode. Which doesn't exactly reflect positively on the episode, but it was a great scene!

Last edited by Necroticism174 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:01 pm 

Series 6 and 7 of the new Doctor Who were so lame. Maybe a few good eps in each - 7 was so bad I couldn't even finish it frankly, though I did like the first half of the season alright I suppose. 6 started off pretty strong (and I remember really liking that one about the minotaur in the hotel; that was good), but also had probably the worst episode of the entire new series with "Let's Kill Hitler." Those ones pretty much turned me off to watching much more of the show in the future, got to admit.

Season 5 was basically perfect though. Matt Smith was so good there. And he really had great material to work with for once.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:08 pm 

Just started House of Cards S1 tonight. Definitely way more enjoyable watching it this way than the snippets of S1 episodes I had casually observed while other people were watching. Love the fourth wall breaking.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
6 started off pretty strong (and I remember really liking that one about the minotaur in the hotel; that was good), but also had probably the worst episode of the entire new series with "Let's Kill Hitler."

I dunno, man. "Let's Kill Hitler" wasn't the greatest episode ever, but I still found it better than "The Idiot's Lantern". That episode was powerful in how bad it was. What shows how shitty "The Idiot's Lantern" is especially is that it's right before "The Impossible Planet" and "The Satan Pit", two of the best episodes of the show and my favorite two-parter of the new series. Having an episode that low in quality directly before two episodes that were very high in quality highlighted its flaws even greater than just a standalone viewing does.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:01 am 

Yeah, no. The Idiot's Lantern was a pretty fun, eerie episode. I don't see where you're coming from at all.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 182  Next