Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:45 pm 

Ohrwurm wrote:
I love almost everything about it, but I can't seem to get the hang of timing attacks and blocks etc.
So apart from the actual fighting, the game is absolutely great for me.

It takes a little time for sure. I have it pretty much down for my character, but it took me a little time to get the hang of using Butters' hammer. I still miss the occasional block but the game is pretty forgiving in general.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:35 pm 

For those that don't have it, Rogue Legacy is 66% off on Steam, so it's like $5.09 right now.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:42 pm 

Cool to know that people are enjoying the South Park RPG. I don't even watch/care about the show anymore but I saw an extended gameplay/trailer thing for the game a while back and it honestly looked really fucking solid as a fairly deep RPG.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:54 pm 

Yeah, it looks like Obsidian knocked the ball out of the park with this one. Solid and fun mechanics and great quest design. Matt and Trey's work on the game is pretty good too (if you're into it, ofc), especially considering how it doesn't seem to have any of that pseudo-libertarian satire that's been in the show for quite a while (from what I've seen so far anyway).

Hopefully, after this game, publishers give Obsidian enough time to make a good video game.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:06 am 

Obsidian's one of my favorite modern developers, not a South Park fan but glad to hear they did well on this.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:55 pm 

La-Mulana (mild spoilers):
Spoiler: show
Beating Chi-You :thumbsup:
Getting Key of Eternity :thumbsup:
Roof dropping on my head rendering that achievement void :thumbsdown:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:51 pm 

You're progressing better than I am... I'm still stuck at the fish boss. ;_;

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:35 pm 

Actually haven't encountered that one yet... I've only found two Ankh Jewels so far and used them up for Amphisbaena and Sakit.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:39 pm 

Hmm, maybe I should explore more then... I beat Sakit and uh... the mine cart boss, forgot its name.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:09 pm 

If you're at Spring in the Sky you should explore the lowest screens. Took me a while to figure it out, but unlocking what's down there is necessary to progress.

Edit: Hm, rethinking that statement; it might not be absolutely necessary, but it definitely helps.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:13 pm 

So I wound up getting the good ending in Suikoden II finally. Good lord they make you work for that shit, not only did I finally resolve that thing I was hung up on a few pages back, but there's even more shit afterwards that I didn't realize so I still wound up getting the bad ending at first. When I saw the credits start to roll I almost had a heart attack, haha. There are some very, very valid flaws within the game, like how the item management is still a bit of a pain (though far better than the first game), healing items are all but useless, the game starts off with money being a struggle to keep at a good level and then at the end of the game it's basically "well let me grab six random people to upgrade their weapons to level 16 so I don't have to keep looking at all these goddamn 9s", and most of all (mondospoiler)
Spoiler: show
you kill off the big bad guy about 2/3rds through the game. Luca is one of the most intimidating motherfuckers in RPG history, and I can't think of another villain that pulled off the pure sadism route better than he did. Once you take him out it's like... "well now what?" Neclord comes back and you still have to deal with Jowy, and I guess that keeps a sense of realism since the struggle continued even though the most dangerous element of the opposition was destroyed, but you just learn to hate Luca so fucking much, you want to take that bastard out so badly, and then when you do, you still have 10 hours of gameplay left and it just feels awkward. The huge looming threat is gone.
Despite all that, Morri's right in calling it one of the best JRPGs ever. People complain that with 108 characters, nobody gets any depth, and when you point out how wrong that is, they'll say "well only the ones really important to the story then", seemingly not caring that that's still like a solid thirty interesting characters, and that's ignoring the lore behind people like Clive. Yeah, Simone and Vincent and most of the shopkeepers and whatnot aren't interesting at all, but try to tell me that every scene between Viktor and Flik isn't magical. The translation is a bit wonky at times but the story really is excellent and well told. The battle system is fun and quick and almost everything else is fantastic. I don't regret spending all that money to buy the damn thing.

Now with that out of the way, I decided I'll get around to finishing Suikoden III, which I bought almost two years ago, played roughly nine hours of in the first week and then never touched again. Starting over, I think I'm beginning to remember why. The new battle system is terrible. I can't fucking stand things like having to skip a turn to attack because the enemy is too far away, I hate the pairing system because it seems like you can't have six people cast magic at a time anymore (you take actions in pairs, so if one guy casts a spell the other dude will just default to melee attacking), I hate how slow paced and sluggish it all feels, just... ugh dammit this story better be phenomenal or I'm really gonna struggle to stick with it. If there's one thing I love, it's Chris Lightfellow. She is just classy as fuck. Also the whole three main perspectives thing is a neat idea, but for somebody like me who values the story so much, it's driving me crazy knowing I could be playing out of order. Stories are told in a specific way on purpose, that's why they're written that way, and giving me the reins on this one just seems like I'm reading chapters in random order. I'm still debating on whether to take one character all the way through before doing the same with the others, or looking up the most satisfying order story-wise and doing it that way. It's like the first game had a ton of potential, the second one fulfilled all of it, and then this third one is just fixing what wasn't broken.

I've been curious to play IV and V as well. A guy I used to work with had only played the last three, and he told me III and V were great and IV was kinda shit. Looking at review scores and whatnot, that seems to be the general opinion. Oh well, if the series only shat out one classic game, I guess I can be happy with it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:27 am 

Yeah, IV was mediocre. An average jRPG, and a bad Suikoden, I guess.

Regarding the Suikoden II translation... this may blow your mind:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=300
Quote:
I'm the guy who struggled with two of my compatriots (Casey Loe and Jeremy Blaustein) to make some sense of the mess that was Suikoden II's script—in the format Konami delivered it. I had already played the game for 90+ hours, and was confused.

We were delivered the script among code, with no indication as to who was speaking. Text was bunched together based on location. The solution? Play the game multiple times, searching as we did so for strings to gather context.

We did our best.

Yikes. Considering the context, I dare say that's one damn fine translation.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:19 pm 

I bought Resident Evil 4 on steam. I tried playing it on the pc before, but the controls were a nightmare, and I abandoned it. The version on sale promised controls properly adjusted to the PC so I bought it at once. But this one, somehow, runs like SHIT. What the hell? I have all the graphic settings on minimal and it runs on 10fps at best. My computer is not very good but it's more than enough to play something released on 2005. It can run Metro 2033, why not this 9 years old game?

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:48 pm 

Marag wrote:
I bought Resident Evil 4 on steam. I tried playing it on the pc before, but the controls were a nightmare, and I abandoned it. The version on sale promised controls properly adjusted to the PC so I bought it at once. But this one, somehow, runs like SHIT. What the hell? I have all the graphic settings on minimal and it runs on 10fps at best. My computer is not very good but it's more than enough to play something released on 2005. It can run Metro 2033, why not this 9 years old game?

There must be something wrong with your PC, as it works fine on mine (except for a couple of rooms where the fps drops for no reason and cutscene audio is out of sync, but these issues have been addressed in the Steam forums).

Do you by any chance have two different graphics cards and your integrated GPU is being chosen automatically when you start up the game? If nothing works I recommend you browse the Steam forums for the game, there will always be people with similar problems providing solutions.

Fun fact: I played the shit out of the old PC version of RE4 (the one with the crap-tastic controls in which you aimed with the arrow keys). Must have beaten the main game at least 5 times as well as all the other modes. Good game.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:02 pm 

I'm about an hour into FF13, and my god, this is among the greatest failures in gaming that I've ever experienced. Every word of dialogue is absolutely, perfectly terrible. Nothing interesting has happened. The only acceptable things to have been presented are the graphics and battle system, which really isn't as different from past entries as I've been led to believe. The presentation of the story so far has been poorly executed; it's so dramatic, predictable, and offensively ridiculous. I want to stop right now.

I've never returned a videogame for being bad, but I'm considering doing just that. I would hate for the first occasion to be with a game in one of my favorite series. Somebody, please tell me this game gets exponentially better.

And here I was thinking I had a game to hold me off until Dark Souls 2... :nono:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:18 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
Somebody, please tell me this game gets exponentially better.

Check out Spoony's review. And then return the game.

Because no, it doesn't.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:06 am 

Have you been living under a rock or something? FF13 is well known for being terribad.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:56 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The_Orphanizer wrote:
Somebody, please tell me this game gets exponentially better.

Check out Spoony's review. And then return the game.

Because no, it doesn't.

Hah oh man good stuff. That's like the game equivalent of RedLetterMedia's decimation of the Star Wars prequels. I'm going to watch all of this review sometime but part 1 was great.

Love how he has the exact same reaction at the word "L'Cie" as I did when I played it. The game just throws out terms like Fal'Cie and L'Cie at you with no explanation. You get that like 10 hours later.

But to answer Orphanizer's question, the game continuously sucks. The summon boss fights are the most fun gameplay segments. I actually felt a sense of "WTF? This is impossible" forcing me to revise my strategy and experiment. Then it's back to autopilot and mashing cause it's back to easy once you get your magic robot summons. The last boss was a challenge too but the final area is super boring. Another super long hallway of non stop enemy encounters. Mash x all the way to the final boss and then you get to use your head.

FFXIII is pretty visuals and you put your brain on autopilot. There's no good story and not a lot of fun gameplay.

I returned Star Ocean: The Last Hope International for being bad and I think it's better than Final Fantasy XIII. I just committed myself to seeing FFXIII all the way through but no one else should have to.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:48 pm 

That's actually one of Spoony's worse reviews. Parts 4 and 5 are funny but the first three are just wretched. I get that he's known for nitpicking but he's not even entertaining with it this time. It's just him seeing something and then immediately launching into a fifteen minute rant about how stupid it looks (the fact that he never stops bringing up the hoods just drives me crazy because that is not even close to one of the many, many, many aspects of that game that you could harp on for hours). Granted, his points aren't invalid, the 40 hour hallway and the fact that I spent about half of the first ten hours in the game nose deep in those fucking datalogs is totally correct, but man he was not on his game for that review.

But yeah, I finished XIII and almost finished XIII-2 (I quit playing because Suikoden II arrived, but I do admit that I like it more than XIII, and I really can't give a spirited defense as to why).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:25 pm 

yentass wrote:
Apparently, a new Batman game got announced today. There are some bits of information here, the most noteworthy of which are probably that the game is due for release this year (yay!) and that the Batmobile will totally be a thing - it might indicate that there would be greater emphasis on the open world side of things, something that's most assuredly bound to cause some disappointment. Dig the design from the trailer, though.

To follow up on that - according to Steam, the game is going to come out on the 14-th of October.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:43 pm 

Finished up South Park: The Stick of Truth today. Not too long of a game but really enjoyable. It never felt like a chore to play. On Normal difficulty, it was rather on the easy side, though.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:51 am 

I ended up returning the game yesterday. I bought it a few days ago because I'd heard some pretty mixed reviews about it, so I figured I would just have to decide for myself. Three hours of gameplay later (it took so long because I was really hoping it would change :lol: ), that shit was back at Gamestop and I brought home Vanquish instead. Not mind-blowing by any means, but it's decent fun.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:43 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
I ended up returning the game yesterday. I bought it a few days ago because I'd heard some pretty mixed reviews about it, so I figured I would just have to decide for myself. Three hours of gameplay later (it took so long because I was really hoping it would change :lol: ), that shit was back at Gamestop and I brought home Vanquish instead. Not mind-blowing by any means, but it's decent fun.

The game is way better day 2 and onwards. I thought day 1 was a bit boring but it really got tons of fun.

last.fm

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:09 pm 

Playing Ass Creed 3. Not that fussed over the setting. The environments look bad compared to the previous places that the series visited. Granted I'm only on Sequence 2.

The game is also pretty buggy. Not a great first impression.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 pm 

I've been reading a bunch about Bullet Hell games and want to give them a shot. I only have my PC right now, where should I begin? Anything good on Steam?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I've been reading a bunch about Bullet Hell games and want to give them a shot. I only have my PC right now, where should I begin? Anything good on Steam?

Ikaruga. Hardly the most insane example of bullet hell, but a very good game.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

On Steam, there is Jamestown and the eXceed series, also a bunch of others I still haven't played, I'm not at home right now so I can't tell you the names. Ikaruga will be released some time into the future so you might want to look that up, it's an excellent game. Out of Steam there is the Touhou series and Hellsinker(hard as shit, but cool)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:04 pm 

Awesome, I've actually heard of Ikaruga and it looks like it came out on Steam a few weeks ago. I'll start there, thanks!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm 

Marag wrote:
Ikaruga will be released some time into the future so you might want to look that up, it's an excellent game.

It came out last month, keep up. ;)

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:10 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Download Blue Wish Resurrection Plus from here: http://www004.upp.so-net.ne.jp/x_xgamer ... works.html

It's free and is very DoDonPachi-esque.

Johnny82
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:33 pm 

Ikaruga is more than a video game. It's an experience you will never forget, especially if you survive 'til the end. I imported my Dreamcast copy on launch. It still remains as one of my favorite shmups of all-time. And I can imagine how awesome the new HD release is.

I'm more of a retro gamer. Big SEGA fan. I collect Dreamcast & Saturn. I'm working on a complete US DC library, along with some of the Japanese exclusives. For the Saturn, I only collect the Japanese library. So many unknown gems that never came to the states.

My favorite genres are shmups, fighters, action platformers and RPGs.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:24 pm 

Gentlemen, any recommendations for a good wired USB gamepad? My old pad is worn to shit and I want to get a replacement so I can play most of my Steam games properly. I prefer something PS2-styled. Not looking for something obscenely expensive; about $30-$40 is my limit.

I have a wireless 360 pad but it feels awkward to me (heavy for what it is) and I've heard bad things about wireless USB pads.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm 

I've been using a regular PS2 controller since early 2013 and it's been all I needed.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:07 pm 

Meanwhile, I was recently converted to the school of 360 controllers on my PC thanks to Dark Souls...Though not exclusively so; I found the keyboard/mouse settings much more intuitive with Deus Ex HR and Bioshock. But that's my go-to controller for Borderlands 2 now.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:11 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I've been using a regular PS2 controller since early 2013 and it's been all I needed.

You know what, I might go with that. With adapter that probably won't run me much more than $20.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:49 pm 

Johnny82 wrote:
Ikaruga is more than a video game. It's an experience you will never forget, especially if you survive 'til the end. I imported my Dreamcast copy on launch. It still remains as one of my favorite shmups of all-time. And I can imagine how awesome the new HD release is.

I'm more of a retro gamer. Big SEGA fan. I collect Dreamcast & Saturn. I'm working on a complete US DC library, along with some of the Japanese exclusives. For the Saturn, I only collect the Japanese library. So many unknown gems that never came to the states.

My favorite genres are shmups, fighters, action platformers and RPGs.

I'm also a collector and a big Sega fan. Though, I collect both US and JP Saturn releases. I have almost every noteworthy US game and a decent amount of shmups, fighters, etc. from Japan. I have most of the noteworthy US Dreamcast releases too, plus various post-mortem ones. Also collect for Genesis / Sega CD / 32X (what little there is to collect) and Sega Master System (among many other systems).

On an unrelated note, today, I finished the new Strider on PS4. Really fun experience. I'd definitely recommend it to Strider fans and Metroid fans.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:23 pm 

So it looks like I said PS2 would be good without doing my research first. Seems I have to get an adapter for it.....most of them are like $4, but based on experience, ordering from east Asia takes up to 3-4 weeks, and I would like to play stuff like Guacamelee sooner than later.

I'm eyeing a $14 wired 360 pad from an in-state seller atm. Likely will go with that.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:32 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
So it looks like I said PS2 would be good without doing my research first. Seems I have to get an adapter for it.....most of them are like $4, but based on experience, ordering from east Asia takes up to 3-4 weeks, and I would like to play stuff like Guacamelee sooner than later.

?

Both the PS2 controller I linked and something like this located in the US shouldn't take 3-4 weeks to ship to where you're at.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:41 pm 

Hmmm......

Most of the ones I found were out of China/Hong Kong for some reason. I might do that though, not sure yet.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:37 pm 

Johnny82 wrote:
Big SEGA fan. ... Saturn.

*bro-fist*

Never forget:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564 ... 940  Next