Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:21 am 

I think that "Tyr" is simply one of the best albums in Black Sabbath's discography.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:12 pm 

Martin era Sabbath seems to be criminally underrated but only by the "mainstream" who get their Sabbath force fed to them by rock radio. The majority of metal heads know the quality of the material. It's just not Tony Martin...it's the music. Headless Cross, Tyr, and Cross Purposes was some of the best music Iommi ever composed.

Like your reviews?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:18 pm 

It doesn't work for me. I've listened to The Headles Cross and some other album, and it was cool vocals over bland rock. Some parts were good, but most of it was very hit and miss. With production like Mob Rules they would be good enough to listen to once in a while, but they are the complete opposite.

...If there's a Martin-era album with delightfully organic/punchy production, I'd be happy to check it out.

druivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 pm 

Tony Martin reminds me (of course he came first) a lot of Russell Allen. Great voice.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:58 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Not like he's totally incorrect. Speak Of The Devil is fucking excellent, and Brad Gillis is merely a bonus.

Just to clarify, I wasn't joking (although it was said in jest).
Now, I'm not an authority on BS, nor am I a huge fan, but to my ears SotD is a fantastic album! Granted, Ozzy is completely out of it here, but he has an intensity and energy that I don't think he has on his studio solo albums. And Brad Gillis' playing is just out of this world, for better or worse. Me, I love it!

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:02 pm 

No it isn't.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:36 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I love Tony Martin's Black Sabbath. It combined the darkness and evil of Ozzy with the grandiosity of Dio and it produced two of my favorite albums in Tyr and Headless Cross.

An apt description, agreed totally.
Though I have to let my love for The Eternal Idol known.
For his vocal prowess, I found Martin to have very poor stage presence, his one flaw (unless we're counting dress sense!).

Johnny82
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:23 pm 

Well, one thing is for sure. Tony Iommi's riffs on the Martin-era albums are still ass kickin'. In fact, some of his best can be found on the Headless Cross album, in my humble opinion. Songs like "Devil & Daughter" and "When Death Calls" (especially the 2nd half of the song where the tempo speeds up) are perfect examples. I can bang my head to these!!

Tony Martin's voice was powerful. I still would rather have heard Ray Gillen on vocals, but what can we do. Tony did an excellent job.

And I absolutely love Cozy Powell's drum work on Headless Cross and Tyr. What a talented addition he was to the band.

I freakin' love this era for Sabbath, Headless Cross being my favorite of them.

Last edited by Johnny82 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:14 pm 

Headless Cross and Eternal Idol have some good tracks, but they sound so 80's. Granted I like that era but classic Sabbath sounds timeless. Some good riffage no doubt and Martin is a competent singer.

Johnny82
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:39 pm 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
Headless Cross and Eternal Idol have some good tracks, but they sound so 80's.

...which is exactly why I really like the way Sabbath sounded during this era. It's a personal taste thing, I guess. I'm a huge fan of 80's rock. So I like they way they adapted their sound, while staying heavy, and keeping themes dark. It worked great.

Here's the "Headless Cross" music video. > http://youtu.be/bOXvhET0Y98

Can this version of the song be found? It's a bit faster than the album version.

Ganondox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:56 pm 

I only know the song Nightmare from the Tony Martin era, but I think it's great.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:24 pm 

Ganondox wrote:
I only know the song Nightmare from the Tony Martin era, but I think it's great.
Great song, but, you're missis the BEST Black Sabbath era. Go check it out!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 pm 

People always say they sounded like generic AOR, but I simply don't hear it. Sure, they might have more in common with power metal* than their earlier doom, but there's a certain charm that's irresistible. I agree that it's better to look at them as Iommi solo outings than genuine Sabbath, but musically they're top notch. I'd put Valhalla or the s/t from Headless Cross up against any of their songs from their classic period.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:34 pm 

Anno Mundi from Tyr is one of their finest songs of any period, and its chorus may just be the best chorus the band ever did. "Epic" gets thrown around way too freely when it comes to pretty much anything now, but that song is genuinely epic.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:55 pm 

There are some AOR elements here and there in the production and a chorus or two, but anyone who thinks it's the dominant influence or sound on Headless Cross and Tyr...I just can't see it. Those albums are 100% pure-grade steel from the masters. Eternal Idol and Cross Purposes are more rockish, but they're still good for all that.

Ganondox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:23 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Great song, but, you're missis the BEST Black Sabbath era. Go check it out!

I checked out the song in the OP, and it's also pretty good, so I think you might be right. Shame it's the least known era.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:18 pm 

Johnny82 wrote:
Ancient_Mariner wrote:
Headless Cross and Eternal Idol have some good tracks, but they sound so 80's.

...which is exactly why I really like the way Sabbath sounded during this era. It's a personal taste thing, I guess. I'm a huge fan of 80's rock. So I like they way they adapted their sound, while staying heavy, and keeping themes dark. It worked great.

Here's the "Headless Cross" music video. > http://youtu.be/bOXvhET0Y98

Can this version of the song be found? It's a bit faster than the album version.

Headless Cross is a great song but it could use some Geezer.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:41 pm 

See the below for that.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

HeavyMetalGamer666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:58 pm 

I think the Tony Martin era is great, but then again I also like the Glenn Hughes stuff, and the Ian Gillian stuff.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:06 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Martin era Sabbath seems to be criminally underrated but only by the "mainstream" who get their Sabbath force fed to them by rock radio. The majority of metal heads know the quality of the material.

Basically the people Sharon and Rick Rubin foresaw as the audience for 13. I agree. I would like to think that there are plenty of more seasoned listeners out there who do appreciate each era of Sabbath for what it is.

The Tony Martin years produced so much music I've been listening to for years, and can never get enough of. 'Anno Mundi', 'The Lawmaker', 'Headless Cross', 'Devil & Daughter', 'Cross of Thorns' ... the list of stone-cold classics goes on and on! As others have touched upon, it isn't just TM that made those records special, but the whole band Iommi had around him. Cozy Powell really brings the style of old-days Rainbow on Tyr, and it's probably my favourite drum performance in Sabbath's catalogue. But yeah, other than Forbidden I can probably listen to each TM-Sabs record ad infinitum; and sometimes I even go back to Forbidden to try and find something I missed the other times, so that I can declare it relevant to the band. So far no dice.

In fact I remain addicted to TM's awesome voice and have even spent a bit of time delving into his adventures post-Sabs (which admittedly I've done for many of the former members); he did a couple of records with this band Empire which have a few decent tracks ('Satanic Curses', 'Al-Sirat'), he does albums with this guy Dario Mollo which unfortunately seem to bring out the worst of his latent AOR tendencies, but the real keeper is the Giuntini Project. I really recommend the song 'Born in the Underworld', which came out last year and has a strong Headless Cross vibe to it. This guy Giuntini even states the TM era of Sabs as his influence (along with Loudness). Big fans of TM-era Sabbath should love it.

Johnny82
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 pm 

Cozy Powell's drumming complimented Tony Iommi's riffs so damn well on the "Headless Cross" and "Tyr" albums. Songs like 'Call of the Wild' and 'Anno Mundi' are perfect examples.

I agree with you, mjollnir. I can't get enough of this era!

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:54 am 

Anyway, does anyone know of any bands that put out music similar to that of Tony Martin era Sabbath?

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:59 am 

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Anyway, does anyone know of any bands that put out music similar to that of Tony Martin era Sabbath?

I just mentioned a couple that actually have TM doing vocals, two posts up. Both pretty similiar stuff. There's also his decent solo album Scream.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:11 am 

I never got into Martin era Sabbath, mostly cause I checked out The Eternal Idol first and hated it. Way too generic 80s rock for my tastes. It seems as though I started with the wrong album, though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3