Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:27 pm 

Meh, hardly even decent but I still hope the album is better than the debut which, to me, was mediocre in every possible way. I also hope "II: Void Worship", in some weird way, is a concept album about the awesomeness of Earl of Void. With them being such Revbiz fanboys I wouldn't be surprised if it was!

Whiskey_Bonbons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:09 am 

Has anyone tried the new Ogre? "The Last Neanderthal"
I forgot they reformed... Really enjoyed Plague of the Planet and their early material.

edit: here's a track from the album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JyTxXOip9g
Solid as usual.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:13 am 

Yeah, the album is very good. I just reviewed it, in fact. Doom album of the year! I call it!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:19 am 

Can't quite take a listen right now, but I am interested in checking this out. :V

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm 

The new Wounded Kings album is so fucking good. I am not disappointed in the slightest! So don't miss out if you're a fan of the previous material. That is all.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:56 pm 

Won't have time for extended listening for the next week or so, but that linked Ogre song sounds really cool. Very late-70s Sabbath feel to it. Is the rest of their material like this? :O

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:18 pm 

Yeah, even more so!

The new TWK really grew on me, it's very awesome. The riffffffffffffs are so good.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:18 pm 

Consolamentum is pretty solid but I really miss George Birch's narcotized Messiah Marcolin vocals and the crushing guitar tone of The Shadow Over Atlantis. It's still their magnum opus.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:36 pm 

I really like the dreamy leads on Shadow Over Atlantis but the riffs are a snoozefest for me. It makes for some very nice background noise but when I give it my sole attention I can't engage with it.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:38 pm 

The Shadow over Atlantis remains my #1 album of 2010. The band will likely never top it but Consolamentum does feel stronger than In the Chapel of the Black Hand, and Sharie Neyland's vocals are some of the most haunting I've ever heard in metal. George Birch was great in the band but Sharie is just as great, imo.

But speaking of snoozefests, Conan gives me the exact same reaction. Listening to the new album now. It's heavy but not much else. Meh, I rather listen to Ocean Chief's Sten if I want super heavy yet (somewhat more) memorable doom.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:20 am 

Just got my copy of Ancient Tome of Arcane Knowledge by The Wizar'd. Looks like they made another big step forward in every aspect. They kept everything that worked tremendously from Pathways into Darkness and added in a bunch of uptempo riffs that cook.

Far Away Castles is tasteful for fucks sake! Hard to believe these are the same people who made Follow the Wizard. Highly recommended.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:49 am 

The album is almost a year old? Damn, I'm not up to date when it comes to The Wizar'd. Ah, but the CD version is relatively new, I see. I only remember the early material being kind of silly so I stopped following their progress. Might be time to revisit the band.

But what does Jonpo think of this? Others can comment too. The band is a slight obsession of mine, I'm not kidding. Also "slight" might be a big understatement.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:12 am 

Yeah The Wizar'ds early stuff is kind of awful. They sound like a completely different band from Pathways into Darkness on though. Started writing really catchy short songs and the singer found his voice.

I'm digging Serpent Warning right now, listening to Evil River. I don't like it as much as The Wandering Midget, but it's got a strong groove and a great tone (especially the burning leads). I'll listen to the title track as well. Most likely this is just going to spur me into ordering the full lengths from TWM. I'll be keeping an eye out for this Serpent Warning album though.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm 

I've always thought it was fitting that this thread moves at the pace of tectonic plates.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:16 pm 

So I've been noticing that beyond the obvious masters like Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus, epic doom tends to have preeeeetty shit vocals. Seems to go against what the genre is about, and it's pretty weird. Only Isole seems to have an actual singer that sounds good. Solstice, Ereb Altor, and Doomsword all sound like they hired their brother/boyfriend/cousin to do the job because no one else would. No vocal control, no epic notes (at least not in the songs I listened to), nothing. Am I missing the point or are they? And I don't want to hear "but maaaannnn, their voices have CHARACTER" to excuse poor singing.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:49 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
So I've been noticing that beyond the obvious masters like Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus, epic doom tends to have preeeeetty shit vocals. Seems to go against what the genre is about, and it's pretty weird. Only Isole seems to have an actual singer that sounds good. Solstice, Ereb Altor, and Doomsword all sound like they hired their brother/boyfriend/cousin to do the job because no one else would. No vocal control, no epic notes (at least not in the songs I listened to), nothing. Am I missing the point or are they? And I don't want to hear "but maaaannnn, their voices have CHARACTER" to excuse poor singing.

I agree with this entirely (except for Ereb Altor, I'm pretty sure they use the same clean vocalist as Isole). I think they try too hard to sound dramatic, and it just winds up sounding obnoxious. I would personally like to hear epic/traditional doom bands with more depressed sounding, deeper vocals.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:55 pm 

heh, apparently they DO share a vocalist. Kind of weird that he sounds terrible in one band and not the other.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:26 pm 

You don't like the DOOMSWORD vocalist?? That's very possibly my favorite part of their sound. His deliver on the first track of Let Battle Commence is stirring.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:29 pm 

Doomsword's singing is awesome. Nobody listens to bands like that for a real pro singer doing lots of epic notes or anything - he works for the music, that's all that's needed. He sounds manly as fuck.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:47 pm 

See, excuses. "he works for the music." "he's got character". "his voice is manly" (lol at that last one, I didn't know having a voice with very little power behind it was manly). All these excuses metal fans whip out when somebody isn't a good singer. It's the same thing with Bobby Liebling from Pentagram :p It's EPIC doom. I expect epic singing to go with those very epic instrumentals. Not...that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:55 pm 

Because it's not an excuse. Maybe Doomsword or those other bands would sound great with a real pro singer with a dynamic range and more presence - probably they would. But for me, Jonpo and others the singers they have still sound fine with the music, that's it. "They work with the music" isn't some kind of apologism or excuse, it's the fuckin truth.

On the other hand I wouldn't like it at all if they had singers that drew too much attention to themselves, which would be the other extreme. The main focus of those bands is the rolling, epic guitar riffs and harmonies. The singers, while clearly not professional, still sound good anyway and do what they need to do: intone the lyrics in a manner befitting of the arcane, epic doom they're singing over.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:57 pm 

Wow, what a cunt you are.

I have no idea what "epic notes" and "vocal control" means, so obviously I can't explain the difference between what we hear. I love Doomsword's vocalist though, quite a bit.

P.S. Liebling is incredible. What would you prefer, someone like Whitney Houston belting out glass-shattering sustained notes? Fuck outta 'ere!

Last edited by Jonpo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:04 pm 

No need to get mad. You mean you don't hear his voice waver and almost falter all the time? Or even almost crack at times? I guess Empyreal already said what had to be said on the opinion you both share, but I prefer my singers to be powerful in a genre pioneered by CANDLEMASS.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:07 pm 

Lol I don't have to be mad to spot a cunt. You started a conversation and then immediately ENDED it by saying you didn't want to hear any opposing opinions.

Of course I hear his voice wavering, it sounds a-mazing. He's singing about burning down Jorvik (London) with his sons by his side. The wavering vocals sounds like a prideful father on the verge of tears to me. Perfect.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:09 pm 

I always did want to hear epic doom with Dio-esque vocals or something over it; anything like that I should know about?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:12 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

P.S. Liebling is incredible. What would you prefer, someone like Whitney Houston belting out glass-shattering sustained notes? Fuck outta 'ere!

Maybe a male version of Whitney Houston!
I suppose it was relatively cunty on my part, but god damn I'm tired of some of the justifications metalheads offer. I have strong convictions, as you do. :beer:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:18 pm 

I don't have any convictions! Just my silly little musical preferences. And I tend to prefer "bad" vocalists. Liebling, Shelton, fucking David Halliday the king!

But I think it's interesting to assume that a man's voice wavering is because he lacks control. It seems more likely to me that he's choosing that as a tool to convey a feeling.

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:21 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

As previously mentioned Isole and Ereb Altor both feature same lead/backing vocalists. Actually the vocals on Ereb Altor's first album specially the harmonized parts are impeccable.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:50 pm 

I agree with everything Necro has said on this page except for the part about Bobby Liebling. Be Forwarned is easily one of my favourite doom albums.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:18 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
See, excuses. "he works for the music." "he's got character". "his voice is manly" (lol at that last one, I didn't know having a voice with very little power behind it was manly). All these excuses metal fans whip out when somebody isn't a good singer. It's the same thing with Bobby Liebling from Pentagram :p It's EPIC doom. I expect epic singing to go with those very epic instrumentals. Not...that.

Since when did Pentagram become 'epic doom'? Pentagram is traditional doom albeit stoner parts here and there and Liebling is the definitive vocalist for that style.

Last.fm

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:25 am 

Quote:
The new Wounded Kings album is so fucking good. I am not disappointed in the slightest! So don't miss out if you're a fan of the previous material. That is all.

That title track sounded quite promising indeed. Enough that I'm willing to hand over the $14.75 for the album (unless I find it cheaper).

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:43 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I always did want to hear epic doom with Dio-esque vocals or something over it; anything like that I should know about?

Sorcerer from Sweden came to mind, though maybe that might just be because they covered Stargazer.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:00 pm 

I listened to Suffer No Guilt for the first time today. I bought it a year or two ago and shelved it without much thought, too daunted by the runtime to bother. I have to say: They really know how to play straight doom without all the heavy/trad influence they added later. It takes a lot to keep me interested for songs in the 15-20 minute range but the long tracks are so well paced. Deceptively simple riffing and those guitar freak-outs reminded me of oooooold Shelton. I also loved that the bass is completely audible yet sounds like it's coming from the next room over.

God Wills It is pretty stellar. I'm sorry I waited this long.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:35 am 

You should be! Doom Slumber is the best Slumber and Suffer No Guilt is the best album they ever did. A great combo of short, uptempo tracks, even shorter, but beautifully arranged instrumentals, and long, insanely good epics. A band at the top of their game. With that said, they could have skipped re-recording "Dweller in the Deep" since it had already appeared on Like a Plague upon the Land the previous year. It's really not that good of a song.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:44 am 

Ah, see it was my first time hearing Dweller in the Deep and I really didn't mind it. I couldn't quite figure out if it was going to stay the weird bubbling cauldron of sound for the duration or erupt into an actual jam, and I like that. It's rare for me to listen to an album that's an hour and fifteen minutes and then want to start it all over again. They were on to something.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:03 am 

I really do need to give Suffer No Guilt more time and check out The Awakening. I like Angel of Death and Riders of Doom a good bit. And Conqueror is a solid album, but sadly I've never been able to get into anything beyond that. How does The Awakening compare to Suffer No Guilt, anyways?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:54 am 

The Awakening is pretty neat. A bit too much Saint Vitus worship and the songwriting isn't as good, but it shouldn't be dismissed. I liked the album a lot back in the day but it didn't stand the test of time as well as Suffer No Guilt, or even Like a Plague upon the Land. The zombie anthem "Feast of the Dead", FTW! A chorus I will never forget.

The return of Blood Farmers should stand in the spotlight at the moment, though. Finally got my copy of "Headless Eyes" and started listening to it. And it's a bloody great album! This band always felt overlooked to me but it shouldn't be their fate in 2014. C'mon guys, it's not AOTY but if "Headless Eyes" doesn't end up on a bunch of your best of lists, I will be dismayed!

cgsather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:23 am 

(self-promotional stuff)

Last edited by iamntbatman on Tue May 12, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DO NOT use the rec threads to promote your own shit.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:06 am 

Just heard the new Blood Farmers (thanks Doomsday!) and it's indeed pretty damn awesome. Almost as good as their self titled cult classic. The leads are great and it's very cool proggy trad doom. I'll write a review in the upcoming weeks, I guess.

TGOS's Conqueror is perhaps my favorite (probably because it was the first I heard) but almost everything they did is awesome. Hymns of Thunder has some fillers but also some of their best tracks ever (Beneath the Eyes of Mars and Descent Into Madness). I'm pretty sad they broke up but at least I had the chance to see (and meet) them before the split, they were fucking thunderous live, Bob Fouts is so fucking heavy (also literally!). I know McCash has some stuff written and will probably release it, I certainly hope so considering he's a great composer (he wrote cool songs like Children of Satan)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:48 am 

Yeah, The Gates of Slumber/Midnight/Ares Kingdom in a dingy mexican restaurant is still one of the most fun gigs I've ever been to. They each destroyed in their own special way, but The Gates of Slumber were the most powerful for me. They played some longer songs I wasn't familiar with at the time, and looking back I'm sure they were from Suffer No Guilt. I still remember Count_V (blasted out of his skull) telling Karl they sounded like Reverend Bizarre. He just laughed and said "I wish we sold records like them."

Conqueror is great, I just always kind of mentally check out for The Red Valley Suite. They could have done a lot more (read: less) with that one.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 133  Next