Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:29 pm 

TYR is one of my favourite heavy album, also adore Headless Cross. Tony Martin is the best singer who have Black Sabbath, I don't like Ozzy much more.

I think a repress of their Martin's era albums it's asolutely required!!!

"You make it easy."

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:39 pm 

I think the utter abandoning of Martin's stint in Black Sabbath is one of the greatest crimes ever committed. Albums like Tyr, Headless Cross, Cross Purposes et al. are awesome. I've been rocking out to Tyr all week, loving the sheer emotion of Anno Mundi and the balls-crushing energy on The Law Maker. Tony Martin is an amazing singer though, like totally world-class. It's a goddamn shame how little respect this era gets; it should be compared with the Ozzy and Dio stints.

I bought Headless Cross and Tyr at my local record score for, like, eight bucks a piece many moons ago. Two of the best purchases I've ever made.

Spoiler: show
Forbidden blows, however.

Subrick wrote:
Nightwing. That is all.

:hail: :metal: One of the best ever. That acoustic solo crumbles kingdoms.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Last edited by GuntherTheUndying on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 pm 

Tony still does the songs himself, and he still has a beastly voice despite being in his mid-50s. See below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64BH37ZFLeE

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:06 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Also, um, while that Cross Purposes tour live album is kind of interesting (it's pretty great to hear "The Wizard" on there!), Tony Martin doesn't sound that great sometimes, failing to hit some of his studio notes, and it sort of reaffirms what I believe Tony Iommi himself said at one point: He simply wasn't up to the task in the live environment.

He was apparently ill when they were recording that live album. You can find plenty of bootlegs where he gives an excellent live performance, also there's the 1989 Moscow DVD (you might enjoy the Headless Cross songs sans all the swarthy reverb).

hey, good thought; i really ought to check out that 1989 stuff then because I really do like Headless Cross but the production (swarthy reverb indeed!) and sometimes those keyboards really bug me.

As to Martin's performance..yeah, I can buy that; it happens to even the best guys.

I still think he sounds like Bonn Jovi sometimes though.

Edit: I'm listening to the concert on Youtube now (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqidfZiFYvE
) and Martin is still failing to hit many notes. I'm pretty sure that the chorus of "Headless Cross" is a tape. Still pretty cool though...Iommi always brings the best....the version of "Heaven on Hell" in here is pretty good.

I'm kind of nonplussed by all the praise this era gets. I mean I get liking it (I do somewhat myself, as I said) but it's nowhere near as revolutionary or life-altering as the Ozzy or even Dio eras of the band. I don't see Black Sabbath changing anybody's ideas about music from 1987-1995, basically, and while that's not a crime, it just doesn't stack up against the real groundbreaking classics of the band. And I'm inclined to think that Dehumanizer is still a better album than any of these.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm 

Listening to Cross Purposes for the first time in a while. This is better than I remember. I really love Alice in Chains now, so maybe that was the missing ingredient in why this never clicked for me the same way as other Martin albums before. There is a lot of real, genuine sorrow and pain on this, just like good Sabbath should always have. "Dying for Love" and "Immaculate Deception," holy shit - these are excellent tunes. And "Cross of Thorns" - if you're a Sabbath fan and you don't think that's awesome, how do you even call yourself a fan at all? This is pure classic Sabbath to the bone.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:30 pm 

"Cross of Thorns" is a great song; it was actually the first thing I heard by the band that wasn't sung by Ozzy. I used to play it for people and try and get them to guess what band had made the song. :lol:

The slow, sorrowful numbers in the Martin era are generally really good. He has a fitting voice for that kind of thing.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 pm 

Headless Cross I think is the most underrated heavy metal records of the 80s. How anybody can write off that record solely because it's not Ozzy or Dio singing is completely insane.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Headless Cross I think is the most underrated heavy metal records of the 80s. How anybody can write off that record solely because it's not Ozzy or Dio singing is completely insane.

I think that, if you look at the records for what they are, they're still pretty good. The only problem is that they're just not as good as the Dio era or Ozzy era (ignoring the last two they made together of course).

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Einzige
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:30 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Listening to Cross Purposes for the first time in a while. This is better than I remember. I really love Alice in Chains now, so maybe that was the missing ingredient in why this never clicked for me the same way as other Martin albums before. There is a lot of real, genuine sorrow and pain on this, just like good Sabbath should always have.

=D I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears it. Martin doesn't sound all that much like Layne Staley, but he's able to articulate the same emotional realism in his voice, and I definitely think Iommi took a couple of cues from Cantrell in constructing the riff patterns on Cross Purposes. And I find the influence more than welcome, because, as I've said before, I regard Alice in Chains as the purest successor to the original Sabbath sound, and so it makes sense, to me, that Sabbath would release an album in Cross Purposes that draws from that same feeling. It definitely has a feel similar to Facelift, imo.

And aye, "Immaculate Deception" is a beast, and not only my favorite song on Cross Purposes in particular but probably from the entire Martin era. The lyrics are excellent:

Quote:
From the spirit runs poison
And the wheel of fortune is never still
Sweeter than the light
The darkness of your soul
Immaculate deception

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:41 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Subrick wrote:

I think that, if you look at the records for what they are, they're still pretty good. The only problem is that they're just not as good as the Dio era or Ozzy era (ignoring the last two they made together of course).

I don't know about that. I view each of Sabbath's eras as almost completely new bands. That, to me, is the brilliance of Iommi. There are moments on the Martin albums that I would take over some moments of the Dio era, and Ozzy too.

Headless Cross and Tyr live on in my mind as absolute Sabbath classics. I don't need to compare them to Mob Rules or Sabotage. It's not even really the same vein of Metal, when you think about it. Why bother saying which is better?

The real tragedy of Sabbath, if there is one, is that the general public just listens to Paranoid or Iron Man and thinks that's all there is to Sabbath. They have absolutely no idea how varied and creative this band has been for eons. The scope and the breadth of the creativity is astonishing.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 am 

Well that's because that's the only Sabbath the general public knows. Everyone knows who Ozzy Osbourne is, fewer know who Dio was, and almost nobody outside of die hard metalheads know who Tony Martin is.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:51 am 

Subrick wrote:

That's definitely missing the point.

The songs that they wrote for the first couple of Ozzy albums were amazing, groundbreaking and brilliant in incredibly many ways. The Dio songs were generally less innovative, but they were still awesome heavy metal with one of the greatest metal singers of all time. Martin certainly is better than Ozzy as a singer, but from what I've heard, the hard rock oriented songwriting approach on his albums isn't interesting in the slightest, and he's not that good a singer as to make me listen to those albums regardless.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:07 am 

I didn't mean everyone that dislikes the album. I was specifically referencing people I've talked to about Black Sabbath in the past that immediately write off albums like Headless Cross or Tyr or even Born Again solely because it's not Ozzy or Dio on vocals.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:24 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Subrick wrote:

The songs that they wrote for the first couple of Ozzy albums were amazing, groundbreaking and brilliant in incredibly many ways. The Dio songs were generally less innovative, but they were still awesome heavy metal with one of the greatest metal singers of all time. Martin certainly is better than Ozzy as a singer, but from what I've heard, the hard rock oriented songwriting approach on his albums isn't interesting in the slightest, and he's not that good a singer as to make me listen to those albums regardless.

Definitely. This is the point why the Martin albums are mostly forgotten. The songwriting just isn't up to the scratch when compared with the first six or even the first two Dio albums. The best songs (which is the majority on the first six at least) found on those are almost timeless. Songs like Wheels of Confusion/The Straightener, Under the Sun/Everyday Comes and Goes, A National Acrobat, The Writ, Megalomania etc. still sound fresh today while the Martin-era is firmly rooted in its time and sounds very dated. At least the first three. It's been ages since I heard Cross Purposes or Forbidden so can't speak for those. Martin is a good vocalist and the albums aren't bad - they do have their high points like Anno Mundi - but Tony (Iommi) just doesn't have his heart as much set on the songwriting than he did before.

somberlain93
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:31 am 

Sounds like cock rock to me. I tried to get into some of it, but why accept mediocre music when Black Sabbath had so many classics before and then even put together an album like "Dehumanizer" that totally killed anything they had done since "Mob Rules"? Martin wasn't terrible, but his style was too cheesy and the music he was given to work with was pathetic and shouldn't have been released under the Sabbath moniker.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 am 

I think people overestimate that whole "no Ozzy stigma".

Lots of people discovered Sabbath through the Tony Martin albums... and didn't give a shit. Despite promotional efforts, videos, etc... nobody gave a shit. Because they just didn't think it was good enough. Can't blame them when the man behind it all, Tony Iommi, doesn't seem to care about that era either. If those albums had kicked ass, they would have been cherished by all.

And on the subject of the drop in quality, I don't think it is solely because Iommi's heart wasn't in the music but rather because by that time, it wasn't a band anymore. It's a staple of rock music that most of the timeless efforts are created by peers. Sure, there's often a band leader or two but it's the fact that you have equals in the band to tell you about your fucking lame ideas that make it work. The fact people call you on your bullshit even if they aren't as prolific as you because they can.

You can't hire a reggae fan who is as charismatic as Bill Gates and a bunch of soulless mercenaries and automatically recreate a genuine feeling of doom of Sabbath, even if your name is Tony Iommi. They just don't care enough, they don't have the same stakes as you, they won't call you out on your terrible ideas and they don't fit anyway.

Band chemistry always has, and always will trump individual talent.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:51 am 

I remember Tyr being utter horseshit, but strangely I don't hate The Eternal Idol even though Martin is a far weaker singer than Dio he has a better voice than Ozzy ever did. I have to check out Headless cross now.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:00 am 

Veracs wrote:
I remember Tyr being utter horseshit, but strangely I don't hate The Eternal Idol even though Martin is a far weaker singer than Dio he has a better voice than Ozzy ever did. I have to check out Headless cross now.

They're all worth listening at least once, if only to satisfy curiosity.

I think Eternal Idols has my favorite riffs from the Martin-era but most of the songs end up being terrible despite that.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:05 am 

I like it it's generally ear-pleasing hard rock for what it is, Martin has a very good voice. I might pick it up this check for nothing else other than Martin alone.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Definitely. This is the point why the Martin albums are mostly forgotten. The songwriting just isn't up to the scratch when compared with the first six or even the first two Dio albums. The best songs (which is the majority on the first six at least) found on those are almost timeless. Songs like Wheels of Confusion/The Straightener, Under the Sun/Everyday Comes and Goes, A National Acrobat, The Writ, Megalomania etc. still sound fresh today while the Martin-era is firmly rooted in its time and sounds very dated. At least the first three. It's been ages since I heard Cross Purposes or Forbidden so can't speak for those. Martin is a good vocalist and the albums aren't bad - they do have their high points like Anno Mundi - but Tony (Iommi) just doesn't have his heart as much set on the songwriting than he did before.

While I agree that the Ozzy and Dio eras have more classic songs and are ultimately better overall, I think both of you are undervaluing the Martin albums all the same. The songwriting is just fine and they're great metal albums on their own. They didn't pave the way for anything new, which is why rock popular history has forgotten them, but they work just fine as albums on their own - mainstream acceptance and popularity has never really been a concern in metal anyway, and fans of late 80s power metal will find much to cherish in Headless Cross, Tyr and Cross Purposes. Probably Eternal Idol too, though I never really liked that one as much. But the demographic here who are heavily into the kind of obscure mid to late 80s/early 90s power/heavy metal from the US will dig them; that much is proven. They have their own niche.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:22 am 

I'm generally with macMoney on this, obviously, even though I enjoy at least a few songs from all of these Martin albums. Fair question then: Would we be better disposed toward the albums if they had been released under a different bandname? Possibly so. Like it or not, the name Black Sabbath has a huge legacy attached to it; it is impossible to divorce Sabbath in the late 80s/90s from what came before under this name, and that's why we're just not all that crazy about the albums. Bands have to at least try and live up to their most groundbreaking efforts. If it can't be done, what's the point of continuing?

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:51 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Fair question then: Would we be better disposed toward the albums if they had been released under a different bandname? Possibly so.

It is a fair question. It can go several different ways, however.

It's possible that if they had been released under a different name, they would have had to dig really deep to find a significant record company that's gonna back vanilla hard rock mixed with a few hints of metal in that time period.

It's possible that some people judge it too harshly because it's Sabbath. It's also probable that a lot of people have their Iommi rose-colored glasses and haven't caught up with the fact this sounds like second rate Demon.

We'll probably never know the exact truth.

What we do know is that studies point to people reacting favorably to established brands and that is why these names have such economic value. From a business standpoint, it was a good move for short term gains. It does dilute your brand however when you milk it without care.

Veddartha
Apocalyptic Destroyer of Angels

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:29 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
So, anybody ever cared to check out Cross Purposes Live?

Yes. Long time ago I found the audio online. Overall, it was fairly good. The Cross Purpose's songs where great. My only perk was that some of the Ozzy-era songs sounded somewhat... weird? From what I recall, Martin's voice doesn't fit at all in the style of Ozzy's songs, specially Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

As a disclaimer from my previous opinion, I want to state that it has been at least three years since I last listened to the aforementioned record, so probably I'm wrong about Martin's rendition on early-Sabbath material.

Anyway, if you dig the awesome album that is Cross Purposes, that live album is a mandatory listen for you. Particularly for "Cross of Thorns"; the live version is way better than the studio one.

Count_Venereal wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
WASP on the Supreme Court right now!

I will vote for whoever makes this happen.

HellKnight666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:01 am 

For me Martin be a great vocalist . I don't listen Black Sabbath now but they are be a very big part of my life in past . I steel remember and hear song "Call of the wind" in my head and this is great stuff :) Cozy Powel drums and Martin vocal in this song be amazing , powerful !

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:17 am 

The Eternal Fucking Idol is by far in the top 5 Black Sabbath albums for me.
If you don't dig songs like Born To Lose, you've got some serious issues.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:01 pm 

The Martin era isn't as timeless, groundbreaking, life-affirming as the first 6 or the first two with Dio. But so what? Iommi was 20 years into his career by that point and not many bands continually make groundbreaking music in their career. The Martin era (Headless Cross and Tyr in particular) carried on the sound Sabbath established with Heaven & Hell and did a damn good job of it... that's enough for me, to be frank (Anthony Iommi). They might be a little dated, too, but that doesn't bother me much. If an album from the 1980s sounds like it was recorded and written in the 1980s then it's really not a problem for me.

That 2009 performance of 'Nightwing' was excellent. Martin's voice is still very good, certainly. Thanks, Subrick.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:13 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:
The Eternal Fucking Idol is by far in the top 5 Black Sabbath albums for me.
If you don't dig songs like Born To Lose, you've got some serious issues.

Born to Lose is one of my favorite Tony Martin-era song. Also one of my favorite performance of Tony Martin. In fact, that album as a whole is my favorite as far as his singing is concerned.

Probably because he didn't come up with the melodies himself.

sidmaximus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:53 am 

This is my favorite era of Black Sabbath. Headless Cross, TYR and Cross Purposes are musical masterpieces.

Too bad there has been no reissue of these records.

druivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:24 am 

I like some of the Tony Martin-era Sabbath, and think he has a great voice. But it´s insane to say it´s their best era, IMHO.

Eternal idol is my favourite Martin-Sabbath record, godd stuff in there.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 pm 

I always stayed away from the Toni Martin era when I was younger because everybody always acted like it was lesser Sabbath. But once I finally heard some songs, I was shocked by how good they were. Toni is a damn good vocalist too, almost as good as Dio in my opinion. I think the problem with the Toni era is they didn't spawn any popular Sabbath songs like during the Ozzy and Dio days, so people just ignore the albums. But that hardly means they're bad (well, maybe Forbidden is). I think any true Sabbath fan that hasn't checked them out should definitely do so because you're missing out.

To me, the lesser Sabbath albums are Born Again (A few okay tracks, but totally overrated) and Seventh Star. I'd rather listen to anything from the Toni era any day over those two albums.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:57 pm 

Evoken wrote:
I always stayed away from the Toni Martin era when I was younger because everybody always acted like it was lesser Sabbath. But once I finally heard some songs, I was shocked by how good they were. Toni is a damn good vocalist too, almost as good as Dio in my opinion. I think the problem with the Toni era is they didn't spawn any popular Sabbath songs like during the Ozzy and Dio days, so people just ignore the albums. But that hardly means they're bad (well, maybe Forbidden is). I think any true Sabbath fan that hasn't checked them out should definitely do so because you're missing out.

To me, the lesser Sabbath albums are Born Again (A few okay tracks, but totally overrated) and Seventh Star. I'd rather listen to anything from the Toni era any day over those two albums.

I think the real problem with the Martin era is that the rockin' songs sound like Bonn Jovi and the production of an album like Headless Cross really drags it down with that "band at the end of a long tunnel" sound. Some of the slow, emotional numbers from this time period are really good though.

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:39 pm 

Tony Martin was an awesome vocalist. I kinda wanna see Heaven & Hell be continued as a side project for Black Sabbath with Tony Martin as vocalist, but that's unlikely to ever happen. I have been interested in knowing Tony's non-Sabbath material, but I was to lazy to dig anywhere & I, by luck, only have found Black Widow's "Hail Satan - featuring Tony Martin". I've been into Occult Rock ever since.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:44 pm 

headless cross is a really underrated album. very strong 80s AOR vibe to it, so i can see why it's considered only borderline-canonical by hardcore sabbath fans, but martin's a good singer and the songs are well-structured. i'm not really that big a fan of the band in any capacity, but i've always considered it a bit of a shame that martin is so overshadowed by ozzy and dio. particularly ozzy - dio's got a great voice and he deserves the recognition, but ozzy just fucking sucks. his contribution to heavy metal was accidentally being the first to sing it. martin's got a great voice and it's sad that for some reason, that singing style is today kinda considered the mark of an insincere musician.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:18 pm 

Einzige wrote:
I think the Tony Martin era (at least the first Tony Martin era) in Sabbath might well be my favorite period in the band's history.
Might be my favourite era too.

OpsiusCato wrote:
And also, Cross Purposes Live is the best Black Sabbath live album ever made.

Isn't Speak of the Devil the best Black Sabbath live album ever made? :scratch:

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 pm 

Opus wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:
And also, Cross Purposes Live is the best Black Sabbath live album ever made.

I wish you were The Comedian, so I could throw you out of a window for that lame joke.

Has any of you guys ever listened to the live version of "Heaven & Hell", with Tony Martin on vocals, that's the B side for "Feels Good to Me"? That may very well be the best live version of that song. Fucking golden version. Nine minutes of fucking glory!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:17 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Evoken wrote:

I think the real problem with the Martin era is that the rockin' songs sound like Bonn Jovi and the production of an album like Headless Cross really drags it down with that "band at the end of a long tunnel" sound. Some of the slow, emotional numbers from this time period are really good though.

What songs sounded like BJ? The only one I can think of is Feels Good to Me, and that's a ballad.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:28 pm 

TheGreatDuck wrote:
What songs sounded like BJ? The only one I can think of is Feels Good to Me, and that's a ballad.

I think "Black Moon" sounds a bit like something Whitesnake might do.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:56 pm 

I love Cross Purposes, but hated Forbidden, and have not heard anything else.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:58 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

I think "Black Moon" sounds a bit like something Whitesnake might do.
That's because you are tonedeaf.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:42 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Opus wrote:

I wish you were The Comedian, so I could throw you out of a window for that lame joke.

Not like he's totally incorrect. Speak Of The Devil is fucking excellent, and Brad Gillis is merely a bonus.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next