Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:24 pm 

11 consecutive reviews with "tree" in either the band name or title... what happened? :D

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:39 pm 

Ample Raid was huffed.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:13 pm 

I immediately assumed this was planned somehow. No?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:14 pm 

Possessed by trees, most likely.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:17 pm 

o_O

Haha. Alf on the cover? The creature reminds me something...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:56 pm 

Krypt Axeripper!!!! :-D Talking of Jussi Lehtisalo and his numerous projects, I should write a review for Circle since they got MAed.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:57 pm 

V

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:22 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
o_O

Haha. Alf on the cover? The creature reminds me something...

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/GG ... eit/325054 Nope, THIS is Alf on the cover.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:05 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
I only described the first composition. I felt it was needed to explain the whole point of the review. I tried to use more general descriptions as well which is what I always do only naming songs with x Feature on it.

New Agalloch one ain't bad. Keep it up!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:19 am 

Just realized it was the first day of Autumn (fall) on the 1st, so maybe it was something to do with that? (The whole tree thing)
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:04 pm 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
Just realized it was the first day of Autumn (fall) on the 1st, so maybe it was something to do with that? (The whole tree thing)

Er, do you mean spring? :wink:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:23 pm 

Nope. The seasons are reversed in the southern hemisphere.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:37 pm 

There is trouble with the trees...

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:06 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:
I only described the first composition. I felt it was needed to explain the whole point of the review. I tried to use more general descriptions as well which is what I always do only naming songs with x Feature on it.

New Agalloch one ain't bad. Keep it up!

Thanks! although I was thinking about it and I'm sure it could have been better, especially the description of the first 3 songs; I could have avoided the 'track by track' feeling and still making my point. This review thing is a craft that should be perfected over practice. I'll keep writing stuff! There are many chilean bands have few or no reviews at all on their profile pages. There's a lot of excellent material there that deserves some words and I own a lot of those albums.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:48 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Nope. The seasons are reversed in the southern hemisphere.

Dude, I even included a winky smiley. It was a joke. Or was yours too? I'm confused. :tinfoil:

MeatWolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:03 am 

I know no one around probably likes Dragonforce save for myself but that The Power Within review, it felt like Slayer started playing rockabilly and here comes the guy saying "Hey, FINALLY this is what they're good at!" -_-

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:30 am 

The Power Within is good, but next to Inhuman Rampage it's their worst album. First half is catchy fun though.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The Power Within is good, but next to Inhuman Rampage it's their worst album. First half is catchy fun though.

Sonic Firestorm is my favourite, then probably Valley Of The Damned. Other than those 2 I havn't been that impressed but I like The Power Within
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:30 pm 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
Sonic Firestorm is my favourite, then probably Valley Of The Damned. Other than those 2 I havn't been that impressed but I like The Power Within

Yup, I like Sonic Firestorm best too. Not even sure why, honestly, since so many of their songs are so similar. Valley of the Damned has always sort of bored me with the exception of Disciples of Babylon, which is Dragonforce's best song in my opinion.

Last.fm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:55 pm 

I'm with Sonic Firestorm, too. Super fun album and "Soldiers of the Wasteland" is top-form.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:31 pm 

SF is definitely their best. I really like Ultra Beatdown too though, just shameless ridiculous fun. It's what DF are all about.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
SF is definitely their best. I really like Ultra Beatdown too though, just shameless ridiculous fun. It's what DF are all about.

Exactly

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:56 pm 

Another vote for Sonic Firestorm here - The songs, while still having the trademark Dragonforce speed and goofiness, actually had their own individual identities and each sounded unique. Bonus nostalgia points for it being my first metal album, although the first song to get me into metal was Heart of Dragon off Valley of the Damned. Black Fire is another good one from that album.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:09 pm 

VotD beats out SF for me - just overall more consistent and more genuine, with a ton of top-tier tracks (title track, "Black Fire", "Disciples of Babylon", Evening Star") and almost all the others being solid. SF is pretty much all in the solid category for me, except for "Fields of Despair" and "Dawn over a New World" (the latter is particularly awesome). Inhuman Rampage had only a couple of good songs, and their last two albums have been pure crap. I basically lost hope for them after I heard the new singer, awful vocals.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:03 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... 444/SLlMER

:ugh: Incredibly short, and couldn't even be bothered to use the proper name for ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:57 am 

Yeah, that isn't one of SLlMER's best. His reviews are usually pretty short like that, but he is usually pretty reliable as far as making good points and backing them up.

Last.fm

MeatWolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:44 am 

Oh, so someone does like DF after all? Surprise. I still can't decide between SF and IR, SF is a bit better in terms of songwriting but IR is better in terms of relentless locomotive assault and production. UB is half good, half filler, TPW is nice save for those awful ballad/Cry Thunder things. Marc is inferior to ZP but he's probably the best we can get.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:34 am 

Like DF? Most of the hype-induced backlash died out around 2009, and even then I never found many people with a negative opinion of them in this community.

And speaking of Fenris Kindir - I really, really like that album and don't get all the backlash. I understand the (relatively) gritty production, layered vocals and weird atmospheric bits are a sharp change from past Arckanum, but that's exactly what makes it so good in my book. The few earlier Arckanum albums I've heard were respectable yet nothing out-of-the-ordinary black metal, but FK is a bizarre, primal beast with buckets of atmosphere and a completely unique sound. Makes me think of Fenris stalking about the void, waiting to unleash his wrath on the world of men (or however the legend goes.)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:45 am 

Compared to prior Arckanum, all Fenris Kindir seems to have to it is thrashy riffing, which happens to sound weak and come across as uninspired. It's a more violent and harsh album, but it's also lacking in aspects that made especially Arckanum enjoyable. Songs like Þrúðkyn, Svarti, Þann Svartís and Læ Elr are completely absent, it seems.

In fact, most songs seem like weak versions of Þrúðkyn, often in fast tempos and without nearly as much atmosphere and passion. Whereas Þrúðkyn is imposing, dark and menacing, with some beautiful twists, Fenris Kindir is just superficially more extreme and harsh. It just doesn't convey the hatred and darkness anymore, and the dichotomy of beauty and evil is also absent.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:06 am 

Violent and harsh, sure, but I think the atmospheric bits balance that pretty effectively. Reminds me of the pre-song interludes on Lunar Aurora's Andacht, another favorite of mine. I suppose I've just always been easily impressed by that sort of thing.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:25 am 

It probably isn't a coincidence that Andacht is among my least favourite Lunar Aurora albums. I enjoy it more than Arckanum's newest, though, and I think that it's still a good album.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:33 pm 

Speaking of Arckanum, am I the only one here that thinks Helvítismyrkr doesn't get enough love? There may be less atmosphere on that one, but the loads of badass riffs on it more than make up for it.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:23 am 

Props to sushiman on a damn good review of Skyfire's Spectral. Reminded me that my review for that album is one of the few older ones I never got around to updating/revising, might have to change that someday soon. If you read this, dude, I want you to do the rest of their albums, especially Timeless Departure!

Last.fm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:17 pm 

autothrall's new Carnifex review has one of the better opening lines I've read.

Quote:
Often, when I think of the deathcore scene as a whole, I imagine a group of guys walking around in the dark with their dicks in their hands. 'Will you suck it?' 'No, suck MINE.'

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:20 pm 

:scratch: Maybe I'm a dim bulb, but I don't see how that's funny; rather seems utterly random and dumb.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:43 pm 

It's kinda dumb.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:47 pm 

I know what he's referring to - i.e. the fact that there are only like four or five breeds of modern deathcore and each one is monopolized by a certain really big band (e.g. Carnifex hold the "relatively death metal-influenced" market, Emmure have the deathcore/beatdown hardcore thing, As Blood Runs Black manage the TBDM + breakdowns division, and so on) - but yeah, really awkwardly worded and not phrased clearly enough for anybody who wouldn't have a clue what he's talking about (and who would? He's autothrall, I doubt his track record with deathcore would lead many people with intimate knowledge of it to seek his counsel for it).

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:15 pm 

As an aside Mutant, I greatly enjoyed your Odz Manouk review. Glad to see that demo getting some quality reviews. I came at it from a different perspective than you did though, since I started with the s/t and moved onto the split material, and I gotta say I prefer the demo. It may not be more original than the newer stuff, but the song writing is perfection.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:53 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
As an aside Mutant, I greatly enjoyed your Odz Manouk review. Glad to see that demo getting some quality reviews. I came at it from a different perspective than you did though, since I started with the s/t and moved onto the split material, and I gotta say I prefer the demo. It may not be more original than the newer stuff, but the song writing is perfection.

Hey, thanks! I'm glad you liked my review for it, though in honesty I just felt like filling out another part of their discography. They're an amazing project, possibly my favorite black metal band that's currently active, and in a just world they'd be absolutely drowning in praise at this point (if anybody else reading this wants to review their split with Tukaaria, I won't mind! You certainly won't regret taking the time to listen to it). I feel like the songwriting on the split is more nuanced, though; at times, the self-titled demo feels a bit less serious with its less... shall I say "judicious" use of blast beats and occasionally riff-salady songwriting. Still a great release by any means though, yes.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:28 pm 

Well, just a couple more submissions and Perverse blah blah blah by Waking the Cadaver will break the top ten list of most reviewed albums on this site.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 520  Next