Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:30 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
...Bal-Sagoth which are basically melodic death...

what??? :???: :scratch: :nono:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:03 pm 

I still don't understand why I'm the only one to go crazy over Sanctuary's "Veil of Disguise". Is there something bad about that song I'm not getting? Dark, ancient, huge, with a crazed Warrel Dane at his best...reminds me of Skullview's debut. But yeah, 'Refuge Denied' is really uneven, the band-titled track and "Die For My Sins" are the only other songs I'd call great, though "Battle Angels" is solid as well. They could've at least had the two songs from the '86 demo on that album, those songs are insane (pun intended!). They just completely lost their shit with the second album and then Nevermore. True, early Nevermore aren't as bad as they'd get later, but one of their early demos ('91 maybe?) which was a better version of the debut is the only release I can dig much. Too bad Serpent's Knight is pretty much unlistenable, as what I can decipher tells me it's Dane's best band. Waste of talent for one of the absolute best singers in metal.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:22 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
metroplex wrote:
Had no idea FC was realeasing a new album, but i like what i hear.
This songs sounds like something out from Eternity (their best album).

The album is really great and in my pers. ranking right behind "Eternity". Full with cheese-grated cheese :wink: but
that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Many sing-a-long hymns ("Come on home" - can't get it out of my head since
a few days) and some classic power/heavy metal stuff ("Heart of a warrior"). Of course the lyrics will be hard to
tolerate for many people but as I said - this is exactly what I wanted. If you always hated FC this won't change
your mind but FC fans will surely embrace this one after the last few not so good albums (but which always had two
or three great songs on them at least).

Spoiler: show

Holy shit, that's catchy. Looks like I'll have to grab this, too.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:44 pm 

Hell yeah, didn't know Iron Savior released a new album, if the single is any indication of it's quality, it's gonna kick some ass and more.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:32 pm 

Awesome album so far, what an improvement.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:55 am 

Maybe I'm a little late with this, but is anybody digging the new Primal Fear? I'm far from the biggest power metal fan, generally speaking, but I was really enjoying the hell out of that one. Definitely a candidate for my end-of-the-year list.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:36 pm 

Hey, guys, if I said that I wanted to hear some "atmospheric power metal", what would come to your mind? I'd seriously like to know if there's such a thing out there.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:41 pm 

Arch Nemesis (esp. their 2nd album) is the closest thing I've heard that fits that description.

Her Whisper is another one I'd consider atmospheric, esp. their first album "Children of the Black Soil"

Tears of Tragedy is another one that may fit this description:
Voice
Prison of Abyss

Is Ancient Myth close to what you're looking for?

Let me know if I'm on the right track or not. I'll put some more thought into this, I'm sure I've heard more.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:09 pm 

I don't think it would be anything you haven't heard before, but as soon as you say atmospheric power metal I'm thinking Othyrworld.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:39 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Maybe I'm a little late with this, but is anybody digging the new Primal Fear? I'm far from the biggest power metal fan, generally speaking, but I was really enjoying the hell out of that one. Definitely a candidate for my end-of-the-year list.

I bought it a couple weeks ago but I've only listened to the whole thing a couple times. I think it's a good, solid album; I wasn't blown away or anything. The only other Primal Fear album I have is Seven Seals, and in comparison, I find Delivering the Black to be just a tad more upbeat and hard rock-oriented.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:48 pm 

Xlxlx - check out Mad Architect "Journey to Madness". That one fits the bill perfectly for dark/twisted atmospheric power metal. I can't believe I forgot about that one!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:55 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Hey, guys, if I said that I wanted to hear some "atmospheric power metal", what would come to your mind? I'd seriously like to know if there's such a thing out there.

Ashes to Ashes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhIlCO30fXM

Like a more gothy Kamelot with a lot more atmosphere.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:18 pm 

Wow, lots of recs! :-D Thanks a lot, guys! I'll sample some tunes and tell you all what I think.

EDIT:

1) Mad Architect, instrumentally speaking, is fairly engaging, if a tad repetitive. But damn, I can't stand their vocalist. He's..... Well, I can't honestly describe his voice, beyond saying that he's extremely grating on the ears, and mind you, this is coming from a Warrel Dane fan. Thanks, but no thanks.

2) Tears of Tragedy is..... Well, too soft for my taste, to be honest. I like a fair share of soft power metal, but this stuff kinda surpasses my limits. It's not bad, mind you, just not for me.

3) Ancient Myth just sounds like your regular Japanese bunch trying to play Europower. Nothing too impressive, honestly.

I'm already aware of Arch Nemesis, however, and I do like them. Man, Perdition, you're gonna hate me after this :lol:

4) I have heard a lot about Othyrworld, but never truly listened to them until now. I'm really enjoying what I've heard so far. Rather soothing, with many dashes of prog and what seems to be a fairly big white collar USPM influence. Something to be analyzed further, definitely.

5) Ashes to Ashes fooled me into believing that I was listening to a doom band. I had to check out a few other tunes to confirm their status as a power metal band. The imagery they bring to mind, however, is truly of a very mournful and sad kind. This sounds really interesting, and I'll definitely try to listen to it in depth later.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:52 pm 

Per a FB post by Hellroadie, the next Road album is a concept. I'm actually really excited. I'd like to hope that they can find a middle ground between the incredible (but incredibly long) Voyager and the more immediate last two.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:55 pm 

Thanks for the update! I can dig that. They've already recorded it, haven't they? If not, surely they've written it. I thought I heard it's coming out this year. Anyway, I'm pumped to get my hands on it. Bring on the cover art!

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:01 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I'm already aware of Arch Nemesis, however, and I do like them. Man, Perdition, you're gonna hate me after this :lol:

Haha, no worries. Mad Architect's vocalist Snowy Shaw is love-or-hate. I think he helps with the macabre thing they're going for, but I won't begrudge anyone for disliking him. The others gives me some constraints to work with.

Have you heard Dimension F3H's "Reaping the World Winds"? Despite being labeled industrial/electronic metal here, its pretty close to dark power metal and is very atmospheric. It features the guy from Arch Nemesis on vocals. I didn't like their second album at all though.

Angel Dust's "Bleed" you've probably heard, but if not, check that one out. I found it to be highly atmospheric.

Both Dark at Dawn and Black Destiny I found atmospheric (but that could be my own relationship to or my interpretation of them). Those bands plus Her Whisper have been name-dropped here a thousand times, so you've probably heard them.

Seventh Gate "A Reign of Shadows" may be worth checking out, but its pretty difficult to get into. Rather spaced-out sounding with really weird female vocals.

Anguish "Symmetry" (German power/prog) is another one I found to be pretty atmospheric (Angel Dust on sedatives?), but I also found it rather difficult to get into as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:03 pm 

That Dimension F3H album sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out - and Anguish too. You still know all the good shit, Perdition.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:16 pm 

:) Just as a heads up, that Anguish I disliked initially and took several plays to get into. The vocalist is in Lanfear now. I've seen some people complain about him, but I like him a lot. Actually, Lanfear's last 2 albums might fit Xlxlx's request too (might be a bit of a stretch though, dunno - I find atmosphere everywhere :P). I found both of those fairly hard to get into though ("X to the Power of Ten" took me around 10 plays for me to get into). Goddammit, why must I make everything so difficult for myself? :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:28 am 

Some of the best music takes a while to get. I tried Anguish - seems really, really intriguing...sorta prog rock flavoring with a German power metal filter. Reminds me of Stygma IV or Hanker a bit - that obscure, weird sound that ends up being so cool.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:35 am 

I got a bit of a Iron Maiden "Somewhere in Time" feel from it (mainly the guitars). Queensryche is probably an influence too. I like the lyrics on it too (but I'm a sucker for sci-fi/dystopian concept albums).

I mentioned Heimdall a few pages back, but their album "The Almighty" fits the bill for atmospheric power metal nicely. For an Italian pm band, they don't sound much like their country-mates. "Hard as Iron" and "Aenid" aren't bad either, just avoid their first 2 albums (bad vocals).

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:01 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:

It is an incredible album and I've always been a fan of Primal Fear. Definitely on my year-end list too.

Xlxlx wrote:

Get into Salamandra already. Especially their second album. A bit slanted towards Helloween/BG but they are more atmospheric than either of those two bands.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

witheredheath94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 am 

Can anyone recommend power metal bands with a similar vocal register to Falconer? Vocals which are outside the norm in a genre dominated by the higher registers.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:06 am 

That Ashes to Ashes really is a good album. It's been so long since I heard it. Really great doomy power metal riffs with a lot of melody and mystery to it. Keyboards and orchestrations actually work really, really well and the singer's deep intonations are as soothing as they are eerie. Man this was a talented band. What kind of cruel fate it is that they broke up after this?

witheredheath94, you may like this - a bit less direct than Falconer, but it's got deep vocals and the riffs are heavy and catchy.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:52 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Haha, no worries. Mad Architect's vocalist Snowy Shaw is love-or-hate. I think he helps with the macabre thing they're going for, but I won't begrudge anyone for disliking him. The others gives me some constraints to work with.

Have you heard Dimension F3H's "Reaping the World Winds"? Despite being labeled industrial/electronic metal here, its pretty close to dark power metal and is very atmospheric. It features the guy from Arch Nemesis on vocals. I didn't like their second album at all though.

Angel Dust's "Bleed" you've probably heard, but if not, check that one out. I found it to be highly atmospheric.

Both Dark at Dawn and Black Destiny I found atmospheric (but that could be my own relationship to or my interpretation of them). Those bands plus Her Whisper have been name-dropped here a thousand times, so you've probably heard them.

Seventh Gate "A Reign of Shadows" may be worth checking out, but its pretty difficult to get into. Rather spaced-out sounding with really weird female vocals.

Anguish "Symmetry" (German power/prog) is another one I found to be pretty atmospheric (Angel Dust on sedatives?), but I also found it rather difficult to get into as well.

I read this post without looking at the poster and by the end I knew it had to be you, Perdition :lol:

Good recs for this kind of stuff.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:35 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
That Ashes to Ashes really is a good album. It's been so long since I heard it. Really great doomy power metal riffs with a lot of melody and mystery to it. Keyboards and orchestrations actually work really, really well and the singer's deep intonations are as soothing as they are eerie. Man this was a talented band. What kind of cruel fate it is that they broke up after this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4VpzsGJcYE

witheredheath94, you may like this - a bit less direct than Falconer, but it's got deep vocals and the riffs are heavy and catchy.

I've always been more partial to the title track, myself.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:02 pm 

Another good one. "Sic Transit Gloria Mundi" is insanely good too. The "run silent, run deep" bit is just hauntingly mournful.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:14 pm 

"Truth on Scaffold" was my fave from that album. Cardinal VII is a really good album and its a pity they couldn't have released more stuff. They had a new one in the works, but they seemed to vanish off the face of the planet.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:46 pm 

So, Salamandra, Dimension F3H, Heimdall, and Seventh Gate..... Man, so much stuff to check out as of late! :-D

Already know Angel Dust, Black Destiny, and Dark at Dawn, however. Love 'em all :-D

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:08 pm 

That new High Spirits song is a jammer. Stoked for that new album.

http://www.stereogum.com/1668515/high-s ... iere/mp3s/
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

witheredheath94
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:09 pm 

Thanks for the Ashes to Ashes rec. A really unique sound that could have been pursued further. I don't get why they describe themselves as Gregorian metal though.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:19 am 

witheredheath94 wrote:
Thanks for the Ashes to Ashes rec. A really unique sound that could have been pursued further. I don't get why they describe themselves as Gregorian metal though.

Their vocal style is reminiscent of Gregorian chanting. That's pretty much why.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:04 pm 

Any thoughts on the Austrian band Mortician? Just ordered their compilation off the strength of "No War" and "Break the Rules". They have a great tone and urgency to the riffing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:27 pm 

One of the great PM albums of the 90s:

Love this.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:39 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Any thoughts on the Austrian band Mortician?

Alright let me help:

How about now?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:03 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Love this.

Impressive stuff!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Any thoughts on the Austrian band Mortician?

This is interesting. I like the treatment of the vocals but something about them throws me off a little bit... but I think that is more of a result of the drums being about half as fast as they should be, especially with those speedy palm muted riffs. The chorus and parts right after makes me think of Anthrax which is rad.

This would be a lot cooler if the drummer picked up the pace.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 pm 

I didn't notice that, I'm going to keep an eye on that when the compilation shows up. I guess they're pretty obscure but I really liked what I heard. Drums always tend to be an afterthought for me. I hear them but I don't seek them out usually. I thought it really had a burning urgency to it that was very cool. They really botched the cover/logo for that compilation though. It looks like some 10th generation d-beat or something.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:42 pm 

Definitely a lot of urgency to the songs and a cool sound... tried to jam the rest of that ep but the firewall at work is being weird and won't play em :/

The logo is... interesting haha

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:47 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Stigmata

Love this.

I thought Stigmata/Stygma IV seemed familiar. The guitarist and bassist are now playing in the band Crimson Cult. Good stuff!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS9sqlrSRno

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:31 am 

A straight-up heavy metal band called Mortician? LOL!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432 ... 624  Next